Sex as a Second Language

Sex as a Second Language

2.96 of 5 stars 2.96  ·  rating details  ·  202 ratings  ·  34 reviews
From Alisa Kwitney, the acclaimed author of "On the Couch" and "The Dominant Blonde," comes a wickedly funny new novel about adult education. A teacher of English as a second language, Katherine Miner is an expert in idiomatic phrases, subtle verbal cues, and unwritten cultural rules, but when it comes to the opposite sex, she's baffled. Her girlfriends and her mother keep...more
Published April 25th 2006 by Atria Books

To ask other readers questions about Sex as a Second Language, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Sex as a Second Language

This ridiculous book was neither interesting, nor funny. I kept hoping the romance subplot would at least be fun and sexy but it was a disappointment too. The protagonist, over the first few chapters, becomes more and more unlikable. She constantly victimizes herself and I found it quite annoying. I don't even think divorced, single moms would necessarily sympathize all that much with this character. The supporting characters are flat and do little to develop the main characters. A few character...more
Penny
I got this book at the local "Friend of the Library" sale. I had no idea what it was about, just liked the title. (Lame, I know.) Anyway, I was looking for something to read the other day and picked it up. It was great! Katherine is easy to connect with.
Tthere is humor and romance, two of my favorite things. It fits right in with books I enjoy.
Norrin2
I watch a lot of romantic comedy movies but I don't read a lot of romcom books. They seem slow and hampered by wooden dialogue. Not so Alisa Kwitney. I really enjoyed her tale of an aging actress trying to take care of her learning - delayed son by teaching English to Foreign students. The romantic parts were romantic, the funny parts were laugh out loud funny and the sexy parts were very sexy. All the characters seemed very real and the dialogue sparkled. I can't wait to read more of her stuff.
Lynn
Very good romance. I am not a romance reader, but I liked this one! The heroine was 40 years old, for one thing, which I appreciate. She was also a mother. She didn't do impulsive things like other romance heroines tended to do, but when it came to her child, she was fierce. I could relate and I really enjoyed how she handled the obstacles in her way. She used her prior life experience to deal with them, and recognized how her prior experiences were influencing her choices. It was refreshing to...more
Krystal
A forty something former soap actress who's bills are paid by working as a teacher at a language institute. She's going through a divorce with a guy who's an @@@. She's basically a single mother, as the father doesn't want anything to do with their son at the moment.
Mix in a border who turns out to be a spy in search of her father, also a former spy, a mother who doesn't want to let go, a betrayal by a friend and the concoction makes up this story. It was fine reading it. I never got to involve...more
Redhead
The protagonist becomes increasingly irritating. Now I feel irritable for reading most of this book, hoping for improvement—in characters, plot, dialogue.
Kari
Jun 15, 2007 Kari added it
Recommends it for: someone who's looking for fluff
Shelves: alreadyread
This book, though dissapointing at first, ended up suprising me in the end. And actually, as the book jacket said, I was really left wanting more. I initially bought it again because of the title, and the main character is a ESL teacher, and I'm an ESL teacher, so there ya go. The storyline is unbelievable, there isn't enough sex (haha, well, you come to expect some horizontal mambo in a romance novel), and what little forplay they have is pretty weird if you ask me. But yeah, as the story went...more
Pamela Pickering
Not the normal type of book I read but I was in dire need of fluff (have been reading too much durge lately) and this fit the bill. Easy to read with a little romance/sex. If it weren't "fluff" I might be more critical of the lack of character development and unfinished possible story lines. There were lots of events that made me wondered why they were even included because there was no follow through. Still it was a decent pick for what I wanted at the time.
Jessica Weir
I saw this at the library. I enjoyed it immensely. It was funny and romantic. I also related to her being an actress and the process of learning a language and a culture. That being said, the end was just too easy. It just sort of tidied itself all up and that was a bit disappointing. Books these days often have poor endings full of ellipses. Otherwise, I was pleasantly surprised. Parts of it will stay with me.
J. Ewbank
This is a light, quick, easy, enjoyable read. It is enjoyable because of the thesis of the book and the fact that it is a romance. Kat is a teacher of English as a second language and her mother and friends want her to begin dating now that she is divorced. Forty is not the sexual end though and that is the rest of the story.

J. Robert Ewbank author of "John Wesley, Natural Man, and the 'Isms'"
Cherie
Jul 06, 2010 Cherie added it
I was drawn to the title--as an English teacher, I have had many ESL students and even taught a class to a group of international Engineers at John Deere. The twist in this book is that the main character ends up romantically involved with one of her students,who turns out to have a few twists as well. It is an enjoyable book, with some very strong main characters.
Ok, unlike Krystal, this book totally tripped my trigger! Must be the chick-lit/romance/spy combo that got me. I think I was in the mood for a little escapism fiction, and I just really dug the developing relationship/romance. And the spy stuff is totally up my alley, so it was just a fun combination for me that I totally could not put down.
Karetchko
With a job like mine, how could I not read this book? I'll give the author credit--the teaching stuff was decent enough. Of course, these books always have to have some teacher-student romance, which means things are a little too predictable. I can see why this one keeps making its way onto the bargain book table.
C.L. Coons
This book was strongly recommended to me by a fellow author, so I had high expectations. It was pretty solid. The main character is great, her son is great... but I didn't feel the connection between her and the male lead. That being said, the love scenes were hot, if you can get past the whole Viking thing.
Valerie Patterson
This is one book I wish I had borrowed from a friend or the library instead of purchasing. The jacket blurb is misleading and the conflict in the story changes too often and is resolved too quickly. Still, it was a pleasant read, but not an entirely satisfying one.
Bree
It was a decent book, not really what I was expecting, though. It wasn't poorly written and the characters were interesting enough...I just thought it could have been more. I felt sorry for Kat throughout the book as her life fell apart.
Fatema
If you need a break this is easy nice reading, will take you in a journey of English teacher and her Iranian friend. I loved the story you wouldn't be able to put it down from your hand. highly recommended :o)
Debs
Apr 19, 2008 Debs rated it 3 of 5 stars
Shelves: 2007
The words "Chick Lit" practically drool off this one. I mean, seriously, the guy's name is Magnus, for God's sake - you didn't have to study Latin to get that one. Cute, not a bad read. Lots of giggling.
Kristi
It was okay - I felt like a lot of the character development started but never got very far. It was entertaining enough to finish and categorize as a quick summer read.
Jessica
Chicklit for sure, but possessed of more heft than is usual in the genre when it explores the idea of just how difficult it is for humans to understand each other.
Kiessa
This book is not about sex.

It is about developing relationships between those of differing backgrounds and languages. A light-hearted read.
minervasowl
Chick lit with a slightly different twist. Our heroine teaches English as a second language and finds out that her father is a spy.
Aaron Broadwell
This book had a hackneyed "chick-lit" plot -- a real disappointment, since I liked her first novel "Till the Fat Lady Sings".
Elizabeth
Perhaps because I was a language major, this book was very appealing. I also liked the title.
Melissa
I hated this book. I didn't even make it through the 4th chapter b/c the plot was so dumb.
Rochelle
Fun, quick, light and a little trashy. Not a bad read...but nothing earth-shattering.
Christie
It was good, but not awesomely good. I did finish it in one day though.
Jean
A light pleasant read that was not totally predictable ,
Angelie
it's nice. i just don't it suits my taste.
Anne
Light, entertaining, funny read.
Good Read 2 4 Aug 09, 2007 02:54PM
  • Learning Curves
  • Breakfast at Stephanie's
  • The Accidental Virgin
  • Sleeping with Ward Cleaver
  • Bachelor Boys
  • Wanderlust
  • Thoroughly Kissed (Fates #2)
  • Family Trust
  • I Did (But I Wouldn't Now) (Crandell Sisters, #2)
  • Stand By Your Hitman (Bombay Assassins, #3)
  • Sinfully Sexy
  • L'Affaire
  • The Jezebel (Taskill Witches, #3)
  • The Big Bad Wolf Tells All
  • Magic and the Modern Girl (Jane Madison, #3)
  • The Bride Price
  • McSweeney's #25
  • Skyward
Alisa Kwitney is an American author.

Kwitney was born in New York City. She graduated from Wesleyan University with a Bachelor of Arts in English and from Columbia University's Master of Fine Arts Fiction Writing Program. Kwitney was also an editor for Vertigo, the mature/dark fantasy branch of DC Comics. Harper-Collins published her first novel, Till The Fat Lady Sings, in 1991. This was also her...more
More about Alisa Kwitney...
The Sandman: King of Dreams The Dominant Blonde Token Does She or Doesn't She? Destiny: A Chronicle of Deaths Foretold