Beyond Capitalism and Socialism

Beyond Capitalism and Socialism

4.08 of 5 stars 4.08  ·  rating details  ·  26 ratings  ·  5 reviews
240 pages
Published (first published March 1st 2007)

To ask other readers questions about Beyond Capitalism and Socialism, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Beyond Capitalism and Socialism

Stephen
Ever had an experience where a variety of separate elements collided and combined to form something spectacular? You know - the perfect day, the perfect meal, the perfect date.

That's what this book did for me. Sparks were flying through my brain so fast I thought it would erupt. Epiphanies rained down with every page like manna from heaven.

The book combines and concentrates tons of different elements I've been studying and have believed in for years into a coherent and absolutely revolutionary p...more
Peter
Oct 08, 2008 Peter rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Thoughtful adults interested in reducing dependency on abstract and distant socio-economic machinery
Recommended to Peter by: I found it on accident
Beyond Capitalism & Socialism is a Catholic publication that discusses the Distributist, or paleo-corporatist, principles of Catholic thinkers such as Hilaire Belloc and G. K. Chesterton. This book draws heavily on Catholic social teaching found in papal encyclicals and claims to outline "Christian" or "Catholic" economics. There are a number of essays ranging from the intellectual to the anecdotal. The essays were contributed by 12 Catholic authors.

In fact, I believe that the economics of D...more
Steve
A compilation of modern distributist thought. Well worth reading. As my understanding of the world matures so does my understanding of the evils purpetrated on the Family by both Capitalism and Socialism. The great minds of Belloc and Chesterton championed another economic therory, one based in common sense and historic reality: distributism. This book is worth reading as it strives to bring back dignity to man and his work: enabling man to fulfill his true purpose, the salvation of his soul.
Skyler Reidy
A very interesting collection of essays on distributist. The essays do a great job of bringing out the importance of production for consumption, rather then production for markets. Several of the authors also do a great job of connecting distributist economics with Catholic teaching. If you like Chesterton's economic work, or read Front Porch Republic, you'll probably like this.
Cynthia Egbert
There are a number of you out there who feel as strongly about agriculture and the need to return more people to an ag lifestyle as I do. The essays in this book are highly thought provoking, along these lines. These are all a new look at the Distributist movement and the ideas presented are tantilizing. I am not Catholic, but this is written by Catholics and has a Catholic bent. Some scholars spoke of having an issue with that in the online colloquium that I participated in regarding this book....more
William
William marked it as to-read
Aug 29, 2014
Colleen
Colleen marked it as to-read
Jul 13, 2014
Meena Y. A.
Meena Y. A. marked it as to-read
Jun 18, 2014
Howard White
Howard White marked it as to-read
May 10, 2014
Kevin Holmes
Kevin Holmes marked it as to-read
Mar 29, 2014
Ryan
Ryan marked it as to-read
Feb 27, 2014
Alejandra
Alejandra marked it as to-read
Feb 27, 2014
Camille
Camille marked it as to-read
Dec 31, 2013
Mauricio
Mauricio marked it as to-read
Nov 07, 2013
Lynn Cupp
Lynn Cupp is currently reading it
Oct 26, 2013
Crugee
Crugee added it
Oct 20, 2013
Lindsay
Lindsay marked it as to-read
Sep 25, 2013
Renee
Renee marked it as to-read
Aug 08, 2013
Finsomni Ak
Finsomni Ak marked it as to-read
Jul 18, 2013
Heather!
Heather! marked it as to-read
Jun 19, 2013
« previous 1 3 next »
Flee to the Fields: The Founding Fathers of the Catholic Land Movement The Life and Fate of the Indian Tiger