Start by marking “The Mindful Way Through Anxiety: Break Free from Chronic Worry and Reclaim Your Life” as Want to Read:

Anxiety constrains the lives of millions, leaving sufferers exhausted, stressed, and overwhelmed. And the things most people do to try to feel better—avoiding feared situations, pushing worry out of mind—only make the problem worse. Leading psychologists Susan M. Orsillo and Lizabeth Roemer provide a powerful new alternative: they help readers fundamentally change their re

Published January 17th 2011 by The Guilford Press (first published 2011)

To ask other readers questions about The Mindful Way Through Anxiety, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Mindful Way Through Anxiety

Deb
Mar 08, 2012 Deb rated it it was amazing
*From anxious avoidance to mindful living*

When feeling anxious, do you typically:
1) Become so consumed with how anxious you feel and then harshly judge yourself for doing so?
2) Do whatever you can to escape feeling the anxiety?
3) Try to avoid whatever triggers the anxiety?

If so, this book will likely change your world--from the inside out. It's not about changing your anxiety, but about changing the relationship you have with your internal experience of anxiety and the associated uncomfortable
Gloria
Feb 16, 2011 Gloria rated it really liked it
Shelves: non-fiction
Loaded with illustrative stories, this walks you through typical sources of anxiety and provides non-medical methods for dealing with it. Authors takes the time to differentiate between fear, worry, and anxiety. The stories are almost excessive, but it is clear they are trying to help ordinary people understand the nature of anxiety and how they can adapt their thinking to overcome it. Leans on the work of Jon Kabat-Zinn. Very appropriate for this stress-full society.
Sandra Kovacs
Jun 02, 2014 Sandra Kovacs rated it it was amazing
Excellent! Helpful. If you let it, it can change your life in just a little enough way that makes a big difference.
Kelly Martin
Aug 20, 2013 Kelly Martin rated it did not like it
After reading other books on mindfulness I found this book over full with case studies (nearly every other page), not very well organised. And like another reviewer said, the authors try to convince people that mindfulness will help. As someone that has experienced anxiety since childhood this did not work for me. I actually grew more tense as I read this (and I am doing mindfulness regularly through another book & course 'mindful way through depression' that is helping me incredibly).

It fel
AnandaTashie
Aug 10, 2012 AnandaTashie added it
Shelves: non-fic
I skimmed through this one, just reading tidbits here and there, so I'm not going to rate or do a full review. I think it has a kind tone and useful tips, but a lot seems to be trying to convince the reader that mindfulness will work, and even more with paragraphs and paragraphs filled with 'stories' of people, their anxiety, their solutions. (Not my thing, but it may help some people to relate.)

I did like this though (aside from all the ellipses :D): "Now picture yourself lying someplace outsid
Yellowoasis
Aug 05, 2015 Yellowoasis rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2015
An excellent text for anyone interested in 'mindfulness' in anything more than a superficial way. Unfortunately, mindfulness has become a massive fad, claiming to do everything from helping you lose weight to being more effective in your job, and everything in between, and is suffering a well-deserved backlash. There are some very lightweight books in the market covering this subject: if you've tried those and found them lacking, I'd recommend this book.
Leslie Mcgilberry
Mar 15, 2012 Leslie Mcgilberry rated it liked it
I gained some useful advice from this, but honestly skipped a lot of it. It's about mindfulness and being in the moment, which not only can reduce anxiety, but I've found it's helpful in managing chronic physical pain. But it is definitely geared more towards people who suffer from debilitating fear and worry.
namurit
Feb 13, 2016 namurit rated it it was amazing
One of the most helpful books I've read on anxiety, up there with Jon Kabat Zinn's mindfulness books and Dr. Claire Weekes. It's like a roadmap to fear (all kinds-with threat [rational] and without [irrational]) and other emotions especially those considered "difficult" and those which cause aversive reactions. Thank you to the authors.
Gabrielle Zdep
Aug 14, 2011 Gabrielle Zdep rated it really liked it
extremely helpful, compassionate and well-written. Borrowed it from the library but will definitely be acquiring my own copy. If in your struggle with anxiety, you honestly and persistently apply the techniques in here, they can really make a positive difference.
Tamara
Jun 09, 2013 Tamara rated it it was amazing
This is an awesome book about anxiety- I use a lot of these concepts with anxious clients in counselling and the ideas are really useful for me too! The exercises that come with the book are really great too. A great addition for materials on anxiety.
Joy
Dec 26, 2013 Joy rated it it was amazing
This is another book whose value is apparent before I've even approached the halfway mark. Meant as a guide and a tool rather than just a read, it works for me because I am taking the time to do the exercises (which entail observing and writing and thinking). Transformation occurs in the doing.
Satu (azileea)
Includes very good points about being kind and compassionate towards anxiety. Kind of book that needs reading many times to form a proper opinion and getting into it. Also to see if it helps, you'll have to commit to the exercises, which I haven't wholly done so can't say much.
Drew Drew
I have not read this... yet.

Looking forward to it.
Amanda
Dec 31, 2013 Amanda rated it it was ok
too hokey for me to take seriously.
Thomas Walsh
Feb 24, 2012 Thomas Walsh rated it it was ok
Self help by identifying our anxiety "buttons" and avoiding them. Simple technique, but so inciteful!
Robyn Crossman
Jan 13, 2015 Robyn Crossman rated it liked it
No. Anybody who suffers from anxiety will likely find themselves tossing this to the floor.
Lisa
Jul 28, 2011 Lisa rated it it was ok
Well done. A good primer. Good stuff in there about befriending your emotions. Helpful.
Karina
Jul 15, 2013 Karina rated it it was amazing
So THAT'S what's the matter with me. Any book that leaves your heart full of hope is a worthwhile book, and this is one of those.
Beth
Beth rated it it was amazing
Jul 08, 2013
Phil
Phil rated it it was amazing
Feb 16, 2015
Sachin
Sachin rated it liked it
Aug 25, 2015
Cat Jones
Cat Jones rated it it was amazing
May 26, 2014
Nick
Nick rated it liked it
Nov 19, 2015
Stephanie Elizabeth
Stephanie Elizabeth rated it liked it
Dec 30, 2011
Megan
Megan rated it it was amazing
Feb 03, 2015
Chris Dudas
Chris Dudas rated it really liked it
Jul 14, 2013
Alejandro Tomassi
Alejandro Tomassi rated it really liked it
Aug 08, 2015
Merel
Merel rated it it was ok
Mar 06, 2015
Kate Klein
Kate Klein rated it it was amazing
Sep 25, 2012
Tatyana Apine
Tatyana Apine rated it it was ok
Jul 07, 2014
  • The User's Guide to the Human Mind: Why Our Brains Make Us Unhappy, Anxious, and Neurotic and What We Can Do about It
  • The Mindfulness Workbook for OCD: A Guide to Overcoming Obsessions and Compulsions Using Mindfulness and Cognitive Behavioral Therapy
  • Things Might Go Terribly, Horribly Wrong: A Guide to Life Liberated from Anxiety
  • Getting Unstuck in ACT: A Clinician's Guide to Overcoming Common Obstacles in Acceptance and Commitment Therapy
  • The Mindful Path to Self-Compassion: Freeing Yourself from Destructive Thoughts and Emotions
  • The Mindfulness Solution: Everyday Practices for Everyday Problems
  • Everything You Need to Know to Feel Go(o)d
  • Tormenting Thoughts and Secret Rituals: The Hidden Epidemic of Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder
  • The 10 Best-Ever Anxiety Management Techniques: Understanding How Your Brain Makes You Anxious and What You Can Do to Change It
  • The Mindful Way Workbook: An 8-Week Program to Free Yourself from Depression and Emotional Distress
  • I Think I Might Be Autistic: A Guide to Autism Spectrum Disorder Diagnosis and Self-Discovery for Adults
  • A Mindfulness-Based Stress Reduction Workbook
  • Living with Your Body and Other Things You Hate
  • Executive Skills in Children and Adolescents: A Practical Guide to Assessment and Intervention
  • Mindfulness-Based Cognitive Therapy for Depression: A New Approach to Preventing Relapse
  • Poustinia: Encountering God in Silence, Solitude and Prayer (Madonna House Classics Vol.1)
  • Pocket Dictionary of Signing, Revised and Expanded