Start by marking “The Knitter's Handy Book of Sweater Patterns” as Want to Read:
The Knitter's Handy Book of Sweater Patterns

The Knitter's Handy Book of Sweater Patterns

Created for knitters who want standard sweater patterns in a variety of sizes and gauges, as well as those who want a template from which to develop their own designs, this book provides easy-to-follow charted instructions for 18 sweaters, three in each of the six most popular sweaters constructions. Each style is then provided in 15 sizes ranging from toddler to large adu ...more
Spiral-bound, 224 pages
Published September 1st 2004 by Interweave Press

To ask other readers questions about The Knitter's Handy Book of Sweater Patterns, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Knitter's Handy Book of Sweater Patterns

Elise Cohen
"I love this compendium of patterns. In essence, you have the tool here to make any sweater you can imagine in any of several styles--blocky, set-in sleeve, saddle-shouldered, round-yoked, neck-down raglan. Combined with Nicky Epstein's Knitting Beyond the Edge, this book could constitute a complete pattern library. While it can be confusing to use the charts jumping from point to point (I personally recommend copying the pages you need each time and highlighting the correct counts and sizing in ...more
Tammy
Jul 08, 2009 Tammy added it
This book is a hard copy of a computerized pattern generator. It has six differnent types of sweaters, based on the set of the sleeves mostly, options for cardigans, different necklines and collars, choices of style options like intarsia, fair isle, cable, all plotted out for different gauges then sized from child to larger adult. Infinite options to create thousands of different sweaters. I would highly recommend to anyone who is about to jump on board the Train to Creativiity!
Marie Segares
Apr 26, 2011 Marie Segares rated it it was amazing
Making sweaters seems to be a requisite part of the "being a knitter" package. This is my favorite beginner-friendly book to indoctrinate you into the sweater culture. Ann Budd's book provides a lot of background detail that would benefit a beginner to sweater making, whether you choose to follow one of the patterns or design your own sweater using the "formulas."

The subtitle of this book is "Basic Designs in Multiple Sizes and Gauges." It's basically a sweater recipe book. The designs included
Cheryl Trzasko
Oct 22, 2013 Cheryl Trzasko rated it it was amazing
Shelves: crafts
I like this book (and other similar titles by the same author--such as one for socks) because they give a wide variety of styles. For each style, you choose the size you want to make and the gauge you've making--so you can make them for anyone using the materials you have on hand--rather than some specific type of yarn. There are a variety of variations listed, too.

With other books, you get just a few sweater styles and are expected to use a particular type and brand of yarn and may spend hours
Anne
Sep 09, 2015 Anne rated it liked it
Shelves: knitting
Not patterns per se but a method of creating patterns that fit perfectly. Great book for someone who doesn't need bust darts. A five-star book for a B or C cup, but if just won't work for anyone in the DD to K range. I wish Budd, or someone, would write this exact book with bust darts. Not the complicated formulae some books have, but the same method she has here for sizing the rest of the sweater. (D cup? Add 2 short rows. J cup? Yes, PLEASE tell me how many to add!)
Lynne Cantwell
May 18, 2014 Lynne Cantwell rated it it was amazing
Shelves: crafts, knitting
I love love LOVE this book. I have used it for at least seven sweaters, and every one looks different.

The author doesn't provide you with a pattern so much as she gives you a template for basic sweater styles, in all gauges and sizes from toddler to adult, and lets you make it your own.

This book ought to be at the heart of every knitter's library. In fact, a beginning knitter could buy this book, Budd's Knitter's Handy Book of Patterns, and a stitch dictionary, and have enough to go on for year
Lou
Dec 28, 2010 Lou rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Knitters!
I already had The Knitter's Handy Book of Patterns, which I use frequently, so I was keen to get the sweater book as well. Since I want to start making my jumpers and cardigans that are inspired by stitch patterns or motifs that I like, having this book to give me the basic structure of the garment is going to be invaluable. There's lots of interesting and useful info about the various different shapes and construction methods. One I'm going to use a lot.
Jan 01, 2009 Laura rated it liked it
This book had an interesting concept and I liked that they had a variety of ways you could finish your sweater, it just wasn't as user-friendly and pretty as other knitting books. I liked the sweaters, but the pages and pages of charts just didn't grab my attention. I might still recommend if you are looking for a specific instructions on how to knit a sweater.

*Taken from my book reviews blog: http://reviewsatmse.blogspot.com/2010...
Lil' Grogan
Jul 20, 2014 Lil' Grogan rated it it was ok
Shelves: handmade
Based on 4 inches of ease as a guide, most look baggy on models. But, handy for comparison of different styles of garments and large range of sizes. Interesting tips along the way, but they are hidden within the chapters, not easy to find them. Yarn requirements for each size is nice.

The method itself, I find a little unwieldy to work...or maybe it's just different.
Samcatbear
Feb 09, 2013 Samcatbear rated it it was amazing
Shelves: crafts
A pretty indispensable knitter's tool if you are interested in creating custom sweaters. The instructions are well-written and clear, much easier than using a sweater generator. It could only be improved by modernising the "copycats" and providing more options for seamless knits. Still wouldn't be without it though!
Kintage
Sep 10, 2013 Kintage rated it it was amazing
This book was exactly what I'd been looking for. I wanted something with basic formulas to use for designing hand knit sweaters. Ann Budd has formulas for all sorts of sweater styles. Within each style are numbers for varying sizes and ages. So, I start with an idea, a style, & who I'm knitting for. Then, I grab my numbers from the book and get started.
Daphne
May 25, 2015 Daphne rated it it was ok
The patterns are very dated. I din't want to knit any of them. I also found the format tedious and unwieldy. After a while the numbers blurred together. I could see this being a good reference to keep on hand if you want to knit different types of sweaters and want to get away from using patterns though.
Sue K
Nov 05, 2010 Sue K rated it it was amazing
Shelves: crafty
I love this book!!!
It is a practical "how to" book that gives great patterns to fit all sizes and many ideas for variations.
Will be my "go to" book when it comes to building a sweater for myself or as a gift.
Jan
Apr 12, 2010 Jan rated it it was amazing
This is a must have for sweater knitters. I am a plus size and this is going to be a life saver. I could not wait to buy it. I can't tell you how many times I checked it out of the library. If you have ever wanted to design your own sweaters this could be a great starting point.
Weaverannie
Feb 02, 2014 Weaverannie rated it really liked it
Shelves: knitting, e-book
After the top-down sweaters I also bought this - I haven't had time to knit a sweater from it, but it's already a book I love to have in my knitting library. Each time I knit a sweater, I can look up the number of stitches for my yarn, or rows or sizes. Love it.
Anne
Jan 06, 2017 Anne rated it it was amazing
Excellent patterns. I still use it for reference
Mckinley
Dec 04, 2014 Mckinley rated it it was ok
Shelves: craft, non-fiction, knit
Sizing for several sweater patterns. With some flares to add details. Nothing I want to make.
Laurajeanie
Jan 23, 2013 Laurajeanie rated it really liked it
Not exactly a book to "read" but amazingly useful!
Liz
Jan 08, 2012 Liz added it
Shelves: craft_knitting
Beyond my abilities at this point. But, a handy reference?
Ingrid
Jul 15, 2014 Ingrid rated it really liked it
Shelves: have-read
I have this book and use it often to make items on my knitting machine. It is great for people who want to create their own patterns.
Cornelia Donovan
I found the different format a little challenging, at first, but after a few minutes of reading it, found it clear and easy to follow.
Elaine
Jul 19, 2014 Elaine rated it it was amazing
If you can buy only one knitting book, get this one. Excellent instructions. Tons of options.
Ruth
Mar 23, 2015 Ruth rated it really liked it
Shelves: knitting-books
Own. Raglan cardigan
Kim Veach
Apr 22, 2012 Kim Veach rated it liked it
Shelves: knitting, non-fiction
It's not bad, but the sweater shapes are more from the 80's than today's. Good technique info though.
Dixie Diamond
Apr 13, 2011 Dixie Diamond rated it really liked it
I love that this gives you guidelines for the same sweater in multiple gauges, I just wish that it would be revised with updated, non-1980's-huge, designs.
Susan
Apr 10, 2010 Susan rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Patricia
What a nifty book! Now when I wonder upon a wonderful yarn find, I can just start knitting up a sweater! This is just what I need to start designing my own sweaters!
Deb
Deb rated it it was amazing
Oct 14, 2011
Elena
Elena rated it it was amazing
Oct 07, 2008
Tensy MB
Tensy MB rated it really liked it
May 08, 2009
Karen
Karen rated it really liked it
Sep 23, 2011
  • Sensational Knitted Socks
  • A Treasury of Knitting Patterns
  • Victorian Lace Today
  • Sweater Design in Plain English
  • The Twisted Sisters Sock Workbook: Dyeing, Painting, Spinning, Designing, Knitting
  • Folk Socks: The History & Techniques of Handknitted Footwear
  • A Gathering of Lace
  • Knitting in the Old Way: Designs and Techniques from Ethnic Sweaters
  • Knitting Without Tears: Basic Techniques and Easy-to-Follow Directions for Garments to Fit All Sizes
  • Custom Knits: Unleash Your Inner Designer with Top-Down and Improvisational Techniques
  • The Knitter's Book of Finishing Techniques
  • The Knitter's Companion: Expanded and Updated (The Companion series)
  • Sock Innovation