And Thereby Hangs a Tale

And Thereby Hangs a Tale

3.62 of 5 stars 3.62  ·  rating details  ·  3,301 ratings  ·  297 reviews
Jamwal and Nisha fall in love while waiting for a traffic light to turn green in Delhi...thus begins one of the 15 short stories Jeffrey Archer has gathered from around the globe during the past five years in this, his sixth collection, of enthralling short stories.

From Germany comes Masterpiece, the tale of a priceless oil painting that has remained in the same family for...more
Paperback, Exclusive South Asian Edition, 290 pages
Published May 7th 2010 by Pan Books (first published 2010)

To ask other readers questions about And Thereby Hangs a Tale, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about And Thereby Hangs a Tale

The Other Side Of Me by Sidney SheldonThe Magician's Nephew by C.S. LewisThe Tenant of Wildfell Hall by Anne BrontëThe Host by Stephenie MeyerThe White Tiger by Aravind Adiga
I_have
29th out of 93 books — 6 voters

More lists with this book...

sanshow
Sep 13, 2012 sanshow rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to sanshow by: My sis
Shelves: shorts
As expected from Jeffrey Archer. I've never actually read his full-length novels, but from this collection I'm pretty sure I'd like his stories.

This tome packs stories he'd gathered all over the globe, some based on true stories, some imagined. The writing style was modest, sometimes a little formulaic or too indulgent in my opinion, but overall it's good in the name of entertainment.

Not to say that I like all or even one of the characters in the many short stories; many of them were almost cari...more
Ammey
The book is a collection of 15 short stories. Out of which 10 stories are based on true incidents. The stories based on true incidents are marked by an asterisk.
1. Stuck on You*
I would rate this as an excellent story. While reading we know what is going to happen, but don’t know how.
2. The Queen's Birthday Telegram*
I would rate this as an excellent story. The story ends with a smile on your face.
3. High Heels*
Again, I would rate this as an excellent story. The comment at the end of the story by...more
Abhinav
3 to 3.5 stars for this short story collection by Jeffrey Archer.

I absolutely love Jeffrey Archer's short stories & I think he's one of the best atleast among the current crop of writers. That being said, I have to say I was left slightly disappointed by 'And Thereby Hangs A Tale'.

This collection has 15 stories, of which 10 happen to be inspired from real events. I think this must be the only compilation of his which has so many of these. Sorry to say, most of these inspired tales lack the s...more
Joseph McBee
I have never been a fan of Jeffrey Archer's novels but I have always enjoyed his short story collections. Until this one.

When I asked one of my favorite writers what he thought of Archer's writing he relplied with one word: "pedestrian."

I can't disagree, but to tell the truth, that is one of the things I always liked about his work. I am the kind of guy who likes reading on Facebook and Twitter what my friends had for lunch, or where they went for the weekend. Archer's stories always appealed to...more
Manu Prasad
The good news is that Lord Archer still has that amazing gift of storytelling, the bad news is that the twists seem to have been blunted a bit. Its probably the sheer amount of content that we encounter, or the tendency to predict the author's twist, or the way reality beats fiction these days, but compared to the author's earlier works, this one didn't induce the jaw-dropping.

It'd be tempting to say that since 10 of the 15 works are based on real life, the scope for the twist is limited by fac...more
Sofia Teixeira
"Uma Ponta de Verdade" foi o primeiro livro que li deste autor e revelou-se uma boa surpresa. Foram quinze contos, todos bastante diversificados, a maioria baseados em casos reais e sempre com uma pitada bastante apurada de originalidade.
A escrita do autor é simples e directa e consegue com que nos envolvamos e de certa forma vivamos a história das personagens.

Dos quinze contos, houve dois que me surpreenderam mais:
Encontro às cegas, parecia ser um simples conto sobre um cego que, no seu café ha...more
Jim B
I enjoy Jeffrey Archer as a writer and this was an opportunity to sample a lot of different stories. Besides telling stories where there is an interesting crime or interesting characters or a twist at the end, I also enjoy "the dropping of the other shoe" when a small detail in the beginning of the story (for example, the character studies Shakespeare) leads to a small detail later in the story, provoking a smile for me.

My favorite stories in this book were the old man who was so concerned that...more
Siaw Hui
I've always been a fan of Jeffrey Archer's collection of short stories ever since I picked up "A Quiver Full of Arrows" for my high school subject of English Literature. I've always liked the way Archer keeps his prose short and sweet, and his unexpected plot twists are just that!

In "And Thereby Hangs A Tale", Archer's knack for keeping things succinct and plot endings unexpected continues. Furthermore, the fact that some of the short stories in this set are true just sweetens the deal a tad bit...more
Ravi Abhyankar
Archer, Jeffrey. And Thereby Hangs a Tale, Pan Macmillan, London, 2010. (Pages 288, paperback)

Rating: 2.5/10

Contains fifteen stories, including nine allegedly true.

What is written has always been more important than how in any Archer book. In a creative writing classroom, two randomly selected passages were chosen for editing. One was by James Joyce, and another by Jeffrey Archer. The authors and titles of books were not revealed. Students could edit the Archer passages endlessly. So much to c...more
Saimah
This book has shattered almost all of my Archer-is-a-good-story-teller opinions. This book is a collection of 15 short stories, some being Archer's own experiences while others just fiction. However what is common between both the kinds is their ordinary quality. Most of the stories failed to keep me engrossed and considering Archer's style of writing, the twists (if they can be called so) by the end of the stories were predictable. Few of them were, as a matter of fact, horribly disappointing.
Rishi Prakash
It is not without reason that Jeffrey Archer is called a Master Story Teller...once again he has proved the same in this book. I think writing short stories is the most difficult thing as you have to put everything in a very short space and hence I always admire those authors who manage to do it well and this is one such book where every story has come out great. Go for it if you like short stories :-)
Angela
I basically LOVE everything that Jeffrey Archer writes! His short stories are always delightful in that they leave a smile on your face with their twists and turns. 12 of the 15 in this collection were based on actual events. Very crafty writing.
Priyanka Mishra
Jeffrey Archer is a genius, apart from being highly accomplished with words. Thereby Hangs A Tale, is an apt example of an engaging, lively and diverse collection of short stories. Every story brings out the irony of various situations in life.
The stories reveal how life beats us despite our determination and ingenuity by, what seems like a mere slip of luck, but on looking closely is a planned attack on our fortunes by destiny. It's always a win some, lose some game for all. My loss will be som...more
Sarah Jan
A collection of stories that are quite captivating and great for a bedtime read since each story is complete in itself.
Aaron
A collection of short stories in the same readable style as the Clifton chronicles. Loved them.
Lynne
I'm glad that my introduction to Jeffrey Archer came from Kane and Able, The Prodigal Daughter, and Not a Penny Less, Not a Penny More. I love Jeffrey Archer's novels, but his short stories left me indifferent. I didn't dislike them exactly. I just didn't love them either. None of the stories really wove a tale that I could get into and feel with or for the characters. I liked the story "The Queen's Birthday Telegram" but Archer ends so many stories with a twist that I'm no longer surprised by i...more
Viveck Nagarajan
"And thereby hangs a mediocre book."

A Jeffrey Archer collection had been tucked away in my family book cupboard for years. I suddenly became interested in his works, and I thought it would be a good way to get introduced to his stories by reading his short story collection.

But it turned out, I should have read his novels which he is mostly known for. And Thereby Hangs a Tale is a mediocre book, with rather forgettable stories. Some stories get dragged so much, that one might even get bored to fi...more
Noha El-Shami
خمسة عشر قصة قصيرة بعضها يستند لوقائع حقيقية والأخرى من بنات خيال المؤلف، ومما قرأت:

Stuck On you
كيف تسرق خاتم بمئتي ألف دولار بطريقة مبدعة

ــــــــــــــــــ

The Queen's Telegram
يحتفل بعيد ميلاده المائة وسط أسرته ليفاجأ بأجمل هدية تصله على الإطلاق ألا وهي برقية من قصر باكنجهام حيث الملكة شخصيا في لفته إنسانية رائعة تهنئة بعيد الميلاد السعيد وتتمنى له مزيد من العمر، وبعد سنتان تحتفل زوجته بعيد ميلادها المائة وتتأخر برقية تهنئتها من القصر؛ فيستاء كثيرا ويقرر الاتصال بالقصر بنفسه ... هل تعتقدون أن أ...more
Komet
Aah, its been really long since I last read a Jeff Archer short story, or for that matter any kind of a short story. Lets face this, Archer is a great writer no doubt but he is the best of the best when it comes short stories which he has proven time and again by collections such as "Quiver Full of Arrows", "A Twist in the Tale" or "To Cut a Long story short" etc. Well, I had almost forgotten reviewing this book, but thanks to Mr Verma's blog, I remembered it.

Here we go, lets start with an admir...more
Cheryl Gatling
I have read one of Jeffrey Archer's novels (Sons of Fortune) and I thought it was one of the most god-awful books I ever read. Then I read one of his books of short stories (Cat O' Nine Tales) and thought it was one of the most entertaining. I liked this one, too. It would appear that Jeffrey Archer's forte is writing short stories. There is usually a twist at the end, or at the very least, an irony. Plot is more important than character, and cleverness more important than realism, although most...more
Soumya Bhowmik
Jun 27, 2011 Soumya Bhowmik rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Ms Debarati
The Story Blind Date is part of the book written by Jeffrey Archer entitled “And Thereby Hangs a Tale”.
------Review------
This story is about a blind man who is in a café at his usual table when a lady suddenly comes and seats right at the table adjacent to him. He then decided to challenge himself to see how long could he carry on a deception before the lady realises that he is blind. Most of the time, people hardly realise and are so embarrassed that they don’t speak again. He was doing a gre...more
Paula
Este é o primeiro livro que li de Jeffrey Archer e posso dizer que gostei muito :)
Um livro composto por 15 contos que nos levam por 15 aventuras hilariantes e muito divertidas, há ainda que lembrar que estas contemplam "uma ponta de verdade", uma vez que o autor escreveu a presente obra tendo em conta as suas viagens!
Dos quinze contos, vou destacar dois para que fiquem com uma ideia.
Um dos contos que destaco, intitula-se "Preso a ti" que nos fala de um casal que se irá unir em breve. A noiva "ex...more
Mark Soone
I will read and rate each story individually based upon its own merit, then return at the end and rate and review the book as a whole.

3.5 is the result, my enjoyment of this collection makes it a 4 rather than a 3. Archer proves again his love and mastery over the art of the short story. This is a very enjoyable collection that cannot rightly be pinned down as to be defined as a certain genre. Romance, passion, betrayal, crime, deception. If you like short stories this is well worth the time.

1....more
Huma
Mar 19, 2013 Huma rated it 4 of 5 stars
Shelves: archer
Its the Exclusive South Asian edition. I'm not the greatest fan of short stories, but Archer spins a good yarn and I love his writing style.

SPOILERS Ahead. Consider yourself warned!!

1. Stuck on You
The first short story is one of the true ones. A rich and beautiful women makes men from the lower class fall in love with her. Once they are are helplessly in love with her and profess their love, she asks them to steal some piece of jewellery from De Beers Diamond store.

2. The Queen's birthday tel...more
Prateek Gupta
Life’s lessons are sometimes learned through encounters with other people.

Jeffrey Archer's natural aptitude for short stories which are stylish, witty and entertaining; his mastery of characterisation, combined with a gift for the unexpected plot twist demonstrate why he is one of the best-selling authors.

"And Thereby Hangs a Tale" portrays an interesting mix of stories.
The language of the stories is explicit, similar to many of Archer's earlier works. While some tales linger on in the minds o...more
Dodol Surodol
To me, Jeffrey Archer's strength is his mastery of storytelling. As plots go, his range from ordinary, to not bad, to "is he seriously trying to pull this off?!" From a collection of Archer's short stories, I expect a little of everything, and And Thereby Hangs a Tale is no exception.

1. "Stuck on You"
He wants to propose to her. She and the diamond she fancies are out of his league. Together, they come up with a daring attempt at obtaining it anyway.
I must admit that I saw the ending and the tric...more
Nesa Sivagnanam
I like short stories and sometimes I like them much better than novels. Archer has done a very decent job with this collection and I finished the book in one sitting. Many of these stories are based on true events and since he has marked these with an asterisk, it adds to the pleasure of reading them.

In one tale set in India, Jamwal and Nisha fall in love while waiting for a traffic light to turn green in Delhi. When asked about their romance she says that he tied her to a lamp post and then lef...more
Joe Cochran
This is a biased review because Jeffrey Archer is one of my favorite authors. His book 'As the Crow Flies' is one of my all time favorites. In this book I found that his story telling did not let me down. It reminded me of his book '12 Red Herrings,' which is a great book of short stories. If you like a great story teller Jeffrey Archer is the guy. Pick up anyone one of his novels and I'm sure you'll be hooked as well.
Sowmya
There is something about his stories. They are always refreshing and resonating the current trends and never fail to end with a twist.
This delightful repertoire, is just as good as all the others that preceded it from the same author.

I especially enjoyed the tale of the sick old industrialist who is fortunate enough to avoid death by getting 'transmogrified' into a young man working in the same building..money can buy anything...the story ends perfectly.
It kind of reminded me of a similar tale...more
  • The Hunters
  • The Grimm Diaries Prequels Volume 7- 10: Once Beauty Twice Beast, Moon & Madly, Rumpelstein, Jawigi
  • The Girl on the Beach
  • The Backstory to Think Twice: A Special Bonus
  • The Malacca Conspiracy
  • Crush (Karen Vail #2)
  • Triple Exposure
  • Mourn The Living
  • Jack Daniels Stories
  • The Incumbent (Madison Glenn #1)
  • The Veteran
  • The Vanishing
  • One Night in Boston (One Night, #1)
  • Hour of the Hunter (Walker Family, #1)
  • Monster in the Mirror - A Short Story
  • Milrose Munce and the Den of Professional Help
  • A Nail Through the Heart (Poke Rafferty Mystery, #1)
  • Detective
Jeffrey Howard Archer, Baron Archer of Weston-super-Mare (born 15 April 1940) is an English author and former politician.

He was a Member of Parliament and deputy chairman of the Conservative Party, and became a life peer in 1992. His political career, having suffered several controversies, ended after a conviction for perverting the course of justice and his subsequent imprisonment. He is married...more
More about Jeffrey Archer...
Kane and Abel (Kane and Abel, #1) Only Time Will Tell (The Clifton Chronicles, #1) Not a Penny More, Not a Penny Less The Prodigal Daughter (Kane & Abel, #2) A Prisoner of Birth