Start by marking “Three Doors to Death” as Want to Read:
Three Doors to Death

Three Doors to Death (Nero Wolfe #16)

4.05 of 5 stars 4.05  ·  rating details  ·  1,430 ratings  ·  46 reviews
Three cases bring perplexing challenges to Nero Wolfe, as a man unsuccessfully attempts suicide just before he is killed, a murder victim's family hides the identity of the killer, and a horticulturist discovers his girlfriend's body.
Published June 9th 2010 by Crimeline (first published January 1st 1947)

To ask other readers questions about Three Doors to Death, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Three Doors to Death

Evgeny
The book consists of three novellas:

Man Alive. A brilliant fashion designer committed suicide in a very bizarre fashion. His niece came to Nero Wolfe asking for help. Initially Archie Goodwin thought it would be typical - for them - investigation where they would have to prove in was a murder and find the guilty party, but it turned out to be not the case at all. I will not spoil it, but there will be murders.

Omit Flowers. Nero Wolfe's friend and compatriot Marko Vukcic asked the detective to
Maria
Great. Orchids, haute cuisine, NYC pavements and landmarks from the 1940s, excellent characters.
Eric_W
I suppose I could spend some time detailing the plots of these three novellas, but when it comes right down to it they are formulaic, but my, what a formula. I love Rex Stout, although the early novels are probably better than those toward the end of his life. Nevertheless, if you have never read any Nero Wolfe stories, you must. The characters are classic and the word interplay between them is wonderful.

My favorite is the third. Wolfe is desperate as Theodore has left for an extended period of
Julie
This book is a collection of three shorter Nero Wolfe stories - Man Alive, Omit Flowers, and Door to Death.

In Man Alive, a young woman who was told her uncle had committed suicide believes that she has seen him a year after he vanished. Before Wolfe and Archie are able to track him down a body is found in a locked building to which only 5 keys are thought to exist, and their client is the one who stumbles across the body. Inspector Cramer, who clearly should know better, interrupts Wolfe's lunch
Vicki
What is better than finding an unread title of a Nero Wolfe volume by Rex Stout? It's finding three, all consolidated into one volume entitled Three Doors To Death. The three novellas were published in magazines in the late '40's, but Stout's writing ability and clever plotting is as fresh as ever.

Archie Goodwin remains Nero Wolfe's stenographer, gofer, assistant detective and Man on the Spot for the brilliant detective who hates to leave his home as much as he hates to miss a meal. In his witty
Alison C
Three Doors to Death, by Rex Stout, is another compilation of three Nero Wolfe novellas, including "Man Alive" (1947), "Omit Flowers" (1948) and "Door to Death" (1949). The first concerns a young fashion designer whose uncle apparently kills himself but then turns up in disguise, only to be murdered; the second is a classic locked-room type mystery centering on a family whose patriarch has been stabbed to death in a house containing only family members and a former serious chef whom, of course, ...more
Cheryl Brandt
I am a past fan of Nero Wolfe books. I have read a number of them in past years and when I ran across this one on sale for $0.99, needless to say, I grabbed it.

As always, Archie's voice tells the tale. As Nero's General factotum and dogsbody, Archie is privilege to most of the action, sometimes instigates, and in general translates Nero to the reader.

As you may have guessed, Archie is one of my favorite characters and it was like welcoming a friend after a long absence.

There are three cases here
Gayle Francis Moffet
A delightful trio of short stories that showcases the fast wit, quick thinking, and the overall fun of the Nero Wolfe series as a whole. Archie investigates a supposed missing person at a women's clothing company, then he and Wolfe tackle a murdered man as a favor to one of Wolfe's friends, and then they're off to the wilds of Westchester county because Wolfe needs to poach an orchid man, but then--of course--there's a body.

Wolfe's world, even in short stories, is rich and lush. It's a treat for
Peggy
This is collection of three short stories about Nero Wolfe. Each story is a fast read. Of course with a short story there isn't the time for a lot of twists and red herrings, but each story is a fun read. Nero Wolfe and Archie Goodwin must solve three murders. In one a young model thinks she has seen her dead uncle and Wolfe must figure out what is going on. In another story Wolfe's good friend who is a restaurant owner asks Wolfe to clear his mentor of the murder of the owner of another chain o ...more
Christopher Rush
Another good collection of fast-moving long stories, the introduction by Archie presents some interesting similarities that do not inhibit the reader from enjoying the stories by themselves. The overlaps add to the enjoyment upon further reflection, but it is doubtful the reader will be looking for them or aware of them while reading. Part of the pleasure of reading these Wolfe stories is their immersive, rapid nature. Like microwave popcorn, they are tasty, available, fecund, and enjoyable. One ...more
Debbie
"Three Doors to Death" is a collection of three short mystery stories that were written in the late 1940s and set in New York. The mysteries were whodunit logic puzzles in style but have an underlying humor. Due to the short story format, the characters didn't have much depth or complexity...though Wolfe and his clever assistant were engaging and a little more filled out.

I think I like Nero Wolfe as a brainy detective better than Sherlock Holmes and the like. It's Wolfe's genius that allows him
Adam Graham
It begins with a classic introduction from Archie Goodwin as he wants to avoid any confusion by strangers to the Wolfe genre who might think because Wolfe didn’t get paid in two of the cases that Wolfe makes a practice of solving murder cases pro bono. He also explains the symmetry of the stories. It does a great job setting the tone for what follows:

"Man Alive"

A fashion designer hires Wolfe because she believes she’s seen her Uncle at a fashion show. The problem? Her uncle committed suicide in
Rusty
Finished the first of three Nero Wolfe cases - Man Alive. A young woman asks Wolfe to find her uncle who supposedly committed suicide a year ago but she is sure she saw him. When the uncle is actually killed at the business the woman is the chief suspect. Three deaths have occurred to those associated with the business - two accidents and a supposed suicide turned murder. Wolfe is suspicious. Completed the second case, Omit Flowers. Nero Wolfe is approached by a friend, a wonderful cook, who has ...more
Alexander Inglis
By 1950, Rex Stout's Nero Wolfe was a mainstream hit character and his 16th novel, Three Doors to Death, marked 16 years since the debut of his delightful series of tales of orchids, gourmet food, murders and a little sleuthing, all narrated wryly by Wolfe's side-kick Archie Goodwin. For this book, three novellas are included, each of which had appeared in "The American Magazine" in separate issues in 1947, 1948 and 1949.

"Man Alive" is about a fashion designer who has apparently commited suicide
Tony
Stout, Rex. THREE DOORS TO DEATH. (1950). ***.
This is a collection of three novellas collected into one book that feature the sleuthing deducctions of Nero Wolfe and his assistant Archie Goodwin. The stories are:
“Man Alive,” where the setting is a fashion house in New York and a stream of beautiful ladies that temporarily set Archie off his equilibrium; “Omit Flowers,” where Nero Wolfe takes on a job for free for his friend Marko Vukcic, the owner of the only restaurant where Wolfe would deign
***Dave Hill
I enjoy Nero Wolfe novels, but Rex Stout's short stories tend to really pop -- mainly because the usual "slog through the middle of the investigation" bits can be omitted, and Wolfe and Archie can cut directly to the parlor scene.

The three stories in this collection are great examples at the author's peak. "Man Alive" is a fashion industry tale, featuring a firm where senior people seem to have been dying without leaving behind bodies, until one is found, murdered, in their offices. "Omit Flower
Nan Silvernail
(I'm being lazy with these next couple reviews because of my birthday. I may come back and edit these later.)

Three Mysteries for Nero Wolfe

Man Alive - Her uncle took off his clothes and jumped into a superheated geyser pool. So how is he still alive and showing up at a fashion show she is modeling in - and why?

Omit Flowers - Nero Wolfe's friend, Marco Vukcic's fellow chef, Virgil Pompa is in jail, accused of murder. Marco, his oldest friend appeals to the great detective to save him.

Door to Dea
Susan
There are, literally, significant doors in these three stories. One of which is notable as an occasion on which Wolfe leaves the house--but not on business; for something far more important to him. Another case involves a favor for his boyhood friend Marko. Only one is the conventional hired by a client for a case that becomes more complex.
Brenda Margriet
Lots of fun, of course

Man Alive: A high-fashion designer consults Wolfe after she sees her uncle — believed to have committed suicide a year before — in disguise. Lots of returning from the dead in this one.

Omit Flowers: Wolfe takes a job as a favor for Marko Vukcic, when one of his old mentors is charged with murder. It's an all in the family type thing, with Archie providing the vital piece of the puzzle when he realizes the matriach doesn't have a heart condition, she was stabbed.

Door to Deat
Kelly
3 novellas from the 40s capture Stout's humorous side. Archie is at his best describing Wolfe's extreme personality in these mysteries. It keeps surprising me that I can figure out the villain in most modern crime stories, but these keep me guessing until almost the end.
Karen
Old but still good

I love Rex Stout's Nero Wolfe mysteries. I read them all years ago and I'm now reading them again. They are set in the 30's and 40's. The characters are great and the stories always interesting.
Marley
How could I have gone through live without reading Rex Stout's tales of Nero Wolfe. Witty, charming, and clever. I'll be reading a lot more. For some reason they remind me of Cole Porter songs.
Stephen Osborne
The best detective stories, in my opinion, are the ones where you enjoy the characters foremost and the solving of the mystery is actually secondary. This is especially true of the Wolfe books. I never care to try to figure out whodunit. Who cares? The fun is the interplay between Archie and Wolfe. Many people believe Stout was at his best with the novella, and it would be hard to argue the point after reading these stories. Included are Man Alive, Omit Flowers, and Door to Death. The best is Do ...more
Kathy
Three great short murder mysteries solved in inimitable Nero Wolfe fashion, with Archie Goodwin providing wry comments on the side. Classic.
Anand Ganapathy
3 whodunits by the master of detective fiction
Trish
I was a bit disappointed.
Steven Vaughan-Nichols
A trio of very good Nero Wolfe mystery novellas.
Heidi
i have a soft spot for Nero Wolfe.
Christina
The book jacket of my edition promised that "there is as much plot, as much action, as much characterization in any one of these three new novelettes" as one of the full-length novels, and it was right. I loved the casts in each of these self-contained stories, which included several fashion industry bigwigs and the family of a wildly successful restaurant tycoon.
Kristin
Love Archie and Nero!
  • Murder in E Minor
  • Chandler: Later Novels and Other Writings
  • Everybody Dies (Matthew Scudder, #14)
  • The Case of the Blonde Bonanza
  • The Thief-Taker: Memoirs of a Bow Street Runner
  • Harm's Way (Alan Gregory, #4)
  • Flynn (Flynn, #1)
  • Walking Shadow (Spenser, #21)
Rex Todhunter Stout (December 1, 1886 – October 27, 1975) was an American crime writer, best known as the creator of the larger-than-life fictional detective Nero Wolfe, described by reviewer Will Cuppy as "that Falstaff of detectives." Wolfe's assistant Archie Goodwin recorded the cases of the detective genius from 1934 (Fer-de-Lance) to 1975 (A Family Affair).

The Nero Wolfe corpus was nominated
More about Rex Stout...

Nero Wolfe (1 - 10 of 47 books)
  • Fer-de-Lance (Nero Wolfe, #1)
  • The League of Frightened Men (Nero Wolfe, #2)
  • The Rubber Band (Nero Wolfe, #3)
  • The Red Box (Nero Wolfe, #4)
  • Too Many Cooks (Nero Wolfe, #5)
  • Some Buried Caesar (Nero Wolfe, #6)
  • Over My Dead Body (Nero Wolfe, #7)
  • Where There's a Will (Nero Wolfe, #8)
  • Black Orchids (Nero Wolfe, #9)
  • Not Quite Dead Enough (Nero Wolfe, #10)
Fer-de-Lance (Nero Wolfe, #1) Some Buried Caesar (Nero Wolfe, #6) Too Many Cooks (Nero Wolfe, #5) The League of Frightened Men (Nero Wolfe, #2) Black Orchids (Nero Wolfe, #9)

“Women don't require motives that are comprehensible to my intellectual processes.
(Nero Wolfe)”
5 likes
“Everything about her, the way she walked, the way she stood, her eyes and mouth and whole face, seemed to be saying, without trying or intending to, that if you happened to be hers, and she yours, life would be full of pleasant and interesting surprises.” 1 likes