Start by marking “Texas Blue (Whispering Mountain, #5)” as Want to Read:
Texas Blue (Whispering Mountain, #5)

Texas Blue (Whispering Mountain #5)

Gambling man Lewton Paterson wants to marry into a respectable family. After fleecing a train ticket, Lewt makes his way to Whispering Mountain. But seducing a well-bred woman is hard, and Lewt realizes that to entice a McMurray sister, he'll need to learn a thing or two about ranching-and love.
Published April 5th 2011 by Berkley

To ask other readers questions about Texas Blue, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Texas Blue

Catherine
*4.5 Stars*

Do you know what this book made me realize? I don’t seem to read any Westerns. The last Western Romance I can remember reading was Never Love a Lawman by Jo Goodman back in 2009, and that was only because I buy pretty much whatever she writes. Before that? Your guess is as good as mine. But why is that? I’ve enjoyed the ones I’ve read and I remember reading a lot more of them back in the day, so why don’t I seek out more of them? Something to ponder later, I suppose.

I really liked
Cheryl
Apr 04, 2011 Cheryl rated it really liked it
Lewton Preston jokingly tells his good friend and ranger, Duncan McMurray that he would make s good husband to one of his cousins. Duncan tells Lewt that he is not husband material. This upsets Lewt. Duncan has found three male suitors for his cousins. They will me traveling to the Whisper Mountain Ranch tomorrow. Lewt cons one of the suitors into taking his place. Now all Lewt has to do is learn the ranch life and win one of the McMurray’s women’s hands in marriage.

Emily is the only one of the
Karen
Oct 15, 2014 Karen rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I've raced on to Book 5.

Well I'm not disappointed. It just seems what the McMurray cousins would do. Male cousin send prospective grooms then hide behind duty to escape the wrath & female ones not having a bar of it, instigate their own game plan.

The mad dash to Mexico to rescue another generation of McMurray ranger is interwoven with bizzar but interesting characters.

The gambler may not think much of himself but the gentleness with the way he treated Em & then his part in the rescues m
Maria
Mar 27, 2011 Maria rated it really liked it
What I Can Tell You:

Over the past year I have become a huge Jodi Thomas fan and friend. What I think makes my book reviews interesting is that I am not a huge fan of romance novels. They all seem very much the same after a while. Girl needs saving from herself, someone else, or from the eventual hero, they fall in love under distress and live happily ever after. Stale, old, boring.

I don't get that with Jodi's books. Lewt is our hero this time and while the synopsis is very good, that doesn't rea
Chris
Nov 14, 2015 Chris rated it it was ok
Shelves: ill, jodi-thomas-read
THIS SUMMARY/REVIEW WAS COPIED FROM OTHER SOURCES AND IS USED ONLY AS A REMINDER OF WHAT THE BOOK WAS ABOUT FOR MY PERSONAL INTEREST. ANY PERSONAL NOTATIONS ARE FOR MY RECOLLECTION ONLY

this first review reflects my thoughts on this book.
I have read all the Whispering Mountain books and this was a complete disappointment.
Lisa Jo
Aug 27, 2011 Lisa Jo rated it it was amazing
A charming and captivating tale, Jodi Thomas’ Texas Blue, is a western romance that is all heart. Readers searching for a novel that will delight and enchant need to look no further than this latest installment in the Whispering Mountain series.

Book Binge
Jul 29, 2011 Book Binge rated it really liked it
Shelves: for-review
Once I got past the beginning hump of the first book, I quickly finished Insatiable and was eager to start Overbite. I'm pleased to say that I enjoyed this book so much more than I enjoyed the first book. It's so good to see Meena, Jon, Alaric and even Lucien back in action.

In this book, Meena is now working for the Palatine Guards with Alaric and Alaric has the total hots for Meena but is annoyed that she only sees him as a friend. The relationship that bloomed between Meena and Alaric was stri
Crystal
I love Jodi's contemporaries, so trying a historical was a little different. I like historicals, but honestly haven't read many of the romances set her in the U.S. and especially those with western-like settings. I must say that after reading Texas Blue - I will not shy away from this time period or setting any longer. Jodi writes this time-period and setting so well that I felt like I was right there.

Texas Blue is a great story that involves two people pretending to be other people. They meet,
April
Mar 27, 2011 April rated it it was amazing
TEXAS BLUE by Jodi Thomas is an amazing faced paced historical romance set in 1875 Austin,Texas and Whispering Mountain,Texas. This is the fifth in "A Whispering Mountain Novel" series,but can be read as a stand alone. This is the a series not to miss. It is fast paced and a page turner. It has romance,adventure,long ago fears,forgiveness,healing,Texas Rangers,Texas working ranch,a loving family, fighting outlaws, survival and finding love.Lewton Paterson(Lewt),gambler,a loner,friends with the T ...more
Shirlene
Successful laywer, Duncan McMurray, had arranged for three suitors to visit his cousins at their home at Whispering Mountain Ranch for a week. Duncan went with a group of Texas Rangers into Mexico to get some cattle back from some cattle rustlers who had stolen the cattle and taken them into Mexico.
Lewton Patterson considered himself a gambler and he was a very good friend of Duncan's. Lewt decided to take the place of one of the three suitors.
Emily McMurray was one of the three females. She a
Mombo
You know you're gettin' old when you start reading novels about the next generation. The McMurtry girls were mostly in the background when we first met 'em in Tall, Dark, and Texan and now they're lookin to get married. Which, if you haven't already, you don't have to have read the previous Whispering Mountain novels to enjoy this story but it's a good story, so do it! If only to lick the cover of WM No.3! (see pic below)

Emily or Em is sweeter and softer than two of my favourite heroines of hist
Romancing the Book
Romancing the Book Review by Jen
Book provided by author for review

Lewt Paterson is a thriving gambler, but is looking for something more real in his life. He decides that he needs a rich wife and when he hears his friend talk about trying to marry off his cousins, Lewt thinks this might be the answer to his situation. When he arrives at Whispering Mountain Ranch as one of the suitors there to woo the cousins, he find that he is more drawn to the female ranch hand, Em.

Emily McMurray doesn't want
Tonya Warner
Aug 20, 2011 Tonya Warner rated it it was amazing
Lewton Paterson is a gambler with a dream. He wants the house, kids and a loving wife to come home to, but has lost all hope that a man like him can ever find it. When his friend Duncan tells him of his three young cousins in need of husbands, Lewton decides he might just give the chance of making his own family one last shot. Letting go of his gambling persona, Lewton takes on the disguise of a sweet gentleman in order to persuade one of the three young ladies to marry him, but it's the quiet f ...more
Christine
Dec 09, 2011 Christine rated it it was amazing
Shelves: romance
Maybe more 4.5, but what the heck? It was such a pleasant read. This was my first book by this author, but I've already downloaded more.

What struck me about this book was the sweetness and honesty of the romance. These two grew to know one another over time, not in a mad, passionate rush.

Lewton is a gambler, who feels worthless and undeserving of love. When his friend sends several men to court his cousins, Lewt intercepts one of them and takes his place, with dreams of leaving gambling behind
 Mummy Cat Claire
Texas Blue skips ahead many years to when Jessica's girls are grown. I really didn't like how Thomas just skipped over characters and gave half-hearted explanations. I felt it a total cop out and since I love Teagen, I was super disappointed when she just opted to cut all the adults that are in the previous books.
Also, it really bothered me that Duck or Duncan has grown up to suddenly be a normal person. In th
Lafanda
Probably my least favorite book of the Whispering Mountain series. Emily is a little cold and unfriendly, which makes her hard to like. Lewton is alright for a hero, a nice guy, but I think he is a little boring. Something between me and Lewt didn't quite click, and I'm not sure what it was about him.

Most of Emily and Lewt's "romance" takes place when they are going after a captured Duncan. Really though there isn't much romance between Em and Lewt. Sure, they get along and like each other well
Kristi (Books and Needlepoint)
I liked the premise of this story - of two people who are trying to escape who they are - one to find love and one to avoid love. Neither one of them were pretending to be someone else for shady purposes. I thought it was a nice switch up to have the man be the one looking for love and a family though, and the woman wanting to avoid it.

Even though Lewt was a gambler, and they were looked down upon by "respectable" people, he was an honest gambler and never left anyone completely broke without a
Jo  (Mixed Book Bag)
Apr 21, 2011 Jo (Mixed Book Bag) rated it liked it
I would have purchased Texas Blue just to get the cover. I love the wildflowers that bloom in Texas every Spring and the bluebonnets are my favorites. I looked at the cover and thought “Oh, Texas in the Spring!” The fact that the book was by Jodi Thomas and was a Whispering Mountain Novel made it even better.

Emily McMurray (Em) and her two sisters grew up on Whispering Mountain and Em has no intention of every getting married. When her cousin Duncan McMurray sends three bachelors to the ranch a
Jarizona
Jun 26, 2011 Jarizona rated it liked it
Shelves: thomas-jodi
For those that have read the Whispering Mountain Series there is going to be disappointment in this book. I've been wondering if this was my first Jodi Thomas book what I would think.

Texas Blue is the first of the "next generation" re Whispering Mountain stories. Emily McMurray is the oldest (adopted daughter of Teagan from Tall, Dark & Texan) of the next generation. Overall the story is ok but having read and re-read Tall, Dark & Texan a number of times somehow I just don't see a citifi
Tracy Farmer
Jul 19, 2014 Tracy Farmer rated it it was amazing
Texas Blue by Jodi Thomas. I really enjoyed reading this one. It's about a Duncan trying to get his cousin's married off. He tells his friend Lewt who is a gambler that that he can't marry his cousins. Then Duncan goes on a mission for the Texas Rangers. Lewt sets out to prove him wrong and goes to Whispering Mountain anyway to meet the girls. When he arrives there he meets Rose, Emily, and Bethie.
Emily is determined not to get married so she has her friend fill in for her, then she goes by the
Patricia Kemp Blackmon
Jul 20, 2011 Patricia Kemp Blackmon rated it it was amazing
Recommended to Patricia Kemp by: Jodi Thomas
Shelves: favorites
TEXAS BLUE, book five of the WHISPERING MOUNTAIN SERIES by Jodie Thomas did not disappoint me. It held up to my expectations of the authors writings in this western series. The female character in this story reminded me of the Ugly Duckling. I was cheering for her during the whole book. The male main character wanted to know what it felt like to have a loving family. They were an unlikely pair that had a hard time letting go of the past. Pride, though some may call it being hard headed, is a big ...more
Lori Twichell
Sep 19, 2013 Lori Twichell rated it really liked it
Jodi Thomas, the master of romantic escapades, has hit another one out of the ballpark with this period piece. With situations that will make you laugh out loud, characters that are as loveable as they are fascinating and drama that has you catching your breath, this adventure is fun, sweet and has all of the heart that Jodi can pull together. And trust me, that’s a lot.

Once again, I found myself transported into the world that Jodi created with very little effort. The beautiful Texas landscapes
Missy Jane
Nov 19, 2011 Missy Jane rated it liked it
I stayed up all night reading this book because I LOVE this series. I was absolutely thrilled to see JT continued on the Whispering Mountain saga with the children. However, I was a little disappointed in the tone of this book. The characters are great, with lots of back story that made this an intriguing book. Unfortunately it took a long time for me to connect with the hero Lewt and his love interest Em. There was more telling than showing and neither character displayed much emotion outwardly ...more
Gezellig
Oct 13, 2015 Gezellig rated it liked it
3.5
the beginning was a bit boring and our male character a bit simple. I didn't like the reasons for which he takes the decision to go to try to marry one of the 3 sisters. Also the three sisters (two real, one not) and the candidates were poorly developed so we don't really get to know them. For these reasons I was considering to dnf this book after 100 pages. Only the character of Em (and my interest for knowing more about Summy) kept me reading. What finally made me like this book a lot more
Jodi
Apr 26, 2011 Jodi rated it liked it
Shelves: read-in-2011
Mary
May 14, 2011 Mary rated it really liked it
I liked this book. It is the fifth in the Whispering Mountains series. I enjoyed reading about the children from the first four books as adults. One thing I really enjoy about Thomas's books is that she weaves any characters and storylines into one book. She is great about making you invest in secondary characters and I cannot wait to read Duck's story and Emily's sister's stories. I am sure she will write about them soon!
Janet
Mar 14, 2012 Janet rated it liked it
Shelves: romance
This is the first in my 2012 awards batch. I always try to read them in order from “worst” to “best” and so far I’m right on schedule. It’s not a bad book, I’m just hoping the other four will turn out better. I was interested in the fact that, after last year's scorching entries, there was very little action--and no consummation--in this book.
Maggie
Sep 26, 2013 Maggie rated it liked it
I keep reading this series on audio more out of curiosity than anything else. This is the first of the McMurry sisters books and I was curious about them. The next book is about Rose and Duck and again, I find myself putting the book on hold at the library out of curiosity more than anything else.
Linda Carroll-Bradd
Sep 16, 2013 Linda Carroll-Bradd rated it it was amazing
This particular series is one of my favorite historical ones. I love the depth Ms. Thomas gives the characters and how hard she makes them work at having a relationship. This story don't disappoint on the western action of range riding, dealing with bandits, rescuing those less fortunate--the work of true heroes.
Roberta
Jun 09, 2011 Roberta rated it really liked it
I love Jodi Thomas...her books take me to Texas (where most of them are set)in the days around the middle of the 1800's...lots of cowboys and bad guys and horses...yea! This book is #5 in the Whispering Mountain series and continues the saga of the MacMurray family...I think if I'd live back then, I'd have been friends with this group of people...good summer reading...
  • Mountain Wild (Wild, #3)
  • In Want of a Wife (Bitter Springs #3)
  • Chasing the Sun (Blood Rose, #3)
  • The Promise of Jenny Jones
  • Matthew (Circle Eight, #1)
  • Beautiful Bad Man (Sutton Family, #1)
  • Texas Glory (Leigh Brothers Texas Trilogy, #2)
  • The Bargain
  • The Charm School (Calhoun Chronicles #1)
  • Nearly a Lady
  • The Tenderfoot Bride
20273
I'm a New York Times and USA Today Best Selling author, wife, mother, in-law, grandmother, sister, friend, and owner of one fat cat.
More about Jodi Thomas...

Whispering Mountain (7 books)
  • Texas Rain (Whispering Mountain, #1)
  • Texas Princess (Whispering Mountain, #2)
  • Tall, Dark, and Texan (Whispering Mountain, #3)
  • The Lone Texan (Whispering Mountain, #4)
  • Wild Texas Rose (Whispering Mountain, #6)
  • Promise Me Texas (Whispering Mountain, #7)