Start by marking “Agent 6 (Leo Demidov, #3)” as Want to Read:
Agent 6 (Leo Demidov, #3)
Read Excerpt

Agent 6 (Leo Demidov #3)

3.77 of 5 stars 3.77  ·  rating details  ·  6,153 ratings  ·  740 reviews
Tom Rob Smith—the bestselling, award-winning author of Child 44, and one of the most critically-acclaimed new writers of our time—returns with a thrilling and provocative new novel: Agent 6.

How far would you go to solve a crime against your family?

It is 1965. Leo Demidov, a former secret police agent, is forbidden to travel with his wife and daughters from Moscow to New Yo
Published January 5th 2012 by Grand Central Publishing (first published 2011)

To ask other readers questions about Agent 6, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Agent 6

The Help by Kathryn StockettThe Art of Racing in the Rain by Garth SteinExtremely Loud and Incredibly Close by Jonathan Safran FoerLone Wolf by Jodi PicoultThe Kite Runner by Khaled Hosseini
Books I want to read in 2012
62nd out of 411 books — 361 voters
Harry Potter Boxset by J.K. RowlingWhispers by Lauren KleverThe Hunger Games by Suzanne CollinsVisions by Lauren KleverThe Mortal Instruments Boxed Set by Cassandra Clare
Your Favorite Book Series
12th out of 247 books — 54 voters

More lists with this book...

Richard Reviles Censorship Always in All Ways
Rating: 2* of five

The Book Description: THREE DECADES.

Tom Rob Smith's debut, Child 44, was an immediate publishing sensation and marked the arrival of a major new talent in contemporary fiction. Named one of top 100 thrillers of all time by NPR, it hit bestseller lists around the world, won the CWA Ian Fleming Steel Dagger Award and the ITW Thriller Award for Best First Novel, and was longlisted for the Man Booker Prize.
In this spellbinding new novel, T
Hey Sera! Thanks for the buddy read!

It was inevitable that I would finish this series. I loved Child 44 so much that I had to continue. Of course, the story of Leo is much sadder than I hoped for, and I don’t think books 2 and 3 were as quite as compelling as the first. I liked this book way better than The Secret Speech though.

One of Tom Rob Smith’s talents is he doesn’t write melodramatically. His prose is simple and to the point. Never once does this book drag.

Smith's characters were inter
Here’s the good news; Agent 6, Tom Rob Smith’s final installment in the Leo Demidov trilogy, is just as breathtakingly good as Child 44.

This is a beautifully written book, with a plot almost too complex to summarize. His spare, bleak prose, his masterful descriptions of place, love, grief and betrayal, his sympathy for the powerless of this world, his grasp of the way the past returns to influence the present, easily catapult him to the strata of writers like Graham Greene and John leCarre.

Agent 6 is the third installment of the Leo Demidov series about a Russian spy turned modern day hero. Leo Demidov makes a compelling man- equal parts rough and redeemable. Two stories twisting together make this last book a little too long, and a little too drawn out for me. Some parts still had that cliffhanger making me anxious to keep reading, and other sections I felt the need to skim over.

Great series with deeply drawn characters that I really enjoyed, just wish that the story arc didn't
While I wouldn't go so far as to say this third part in the Leo Demidov trilogy is a disappointment, it is definitely the weakest of the three, which is always a shame for a trilogy.

Don't get me wrong; I enjoyed it. The first half of the book, which shifts the spotlight away from Leo himself and onto his wife and two daughters, was really good. It was a real shift in tone, which caught my attention and held it until the first act's tragic ending. Said tragic ending was absolutely gutting, too.

Tom Rob Smith’s newest book strays away from the darkness – the Stalinist paranoia – that made his first, Child 44, so good. Instead, this is a more meandering international thriller that brings Russia and Smith’s Russian hero Leo Demidov into modern times. Because the sickness of the serial killer is absent, this is a little less thrilling. The threats of the KGB are also weaker. Think slightly watered down John Le Carre.

Leo and his wife Raisa are raising their two daughters when a unique oppor
While the book was a decent read in itself I didn't enjoy it as much as the previous two. It can be read as a standalone even though it's technically a continuation but nothing was really alluded to from previous books apart from the odd place or building description. It's also listed as the final book but it's ending is left open or abrupt depending on your interpretation even though it's fairly obvious what will happen to Leo...

First book was a great serial killer thriller, second was a great
This completes the trilogy/series and all are enjoyable reads. I have to say though that in my opinion the first book Child 44 outshines them all by far.

Here is ex-KGB agent Leo, left alone in 1965 Russia while his family members have the opportunity to fly to NYC on a peace tour of sorts. Things go horribly wrong for them, and after years of trying to get permission to go to the States to investigate for himself, Leo finally makes it. First up, however, is a detour to Afghanistan as an advisor
Mal Warwick
A Superb Suspense Novel Set in the USSR, Afghanistan, and the U.S.

The third book in a trilogy, Agent 6 concludes the story of Leo Demidov, a hero in the Great Patriotic War (as the USSR termed World War II) and later an agent in Stalin’s secret police. By way of introduction, the book opens in 1950 with Leo in thrall to the Sovet State, a senior officer in the MGB (predecessor to the KGB and to today’s FSB) charged with training newly recruited agents. Jesse Austin, a world-famous African-Americ
PROTAGONIST: Leo Demidov, secret police agent
SETTING: Moscow, US, Afghanistan
SERIES: #3 of 3
RATING: 4.75

AGENT 6 is the final installment in the Child 44 trilogy, which features Soviet secret police agent Leo Demidov. It is a wonderful conclusion to a series that is epic in scope. AGENT opens in 1951 in Moscow, where the young agent Leo is assigned the prestigious duty of escorting a black American singer, Jesse Austin, around Moscow. Austin has espoused the Communist cause; the Russian governmen
Ova knjiga zaokružuje trilogiju i baš mi je žao što je gotova. Glavni lik me pridobio odmah na prvo čitanje u knjizi ''Dijete 44'', tada je Leo bio mlad, zgodan, u punoj snazi za genijalnog agenta…U ovom zadnjem dijelu pod naslovom ''Agent 6'' pratimo život glavnog lika i njegove obitelji kroz 16 godina nakon što mu je žena Raisa poginula. Leo završi u Afganistanu i napokon u Americi gdje pokušava otkriti tko mu je zapravo ubio ženu. Nažalost, odgovori mu nisu donjeli ni zadovoljštinu ni olakšan ...more
With this final installment, Tom Rob Smith ties off his espionage trilogy involving the trials and tribulations of Russian State Security Officer Leo Demidov.

The journey has been wide-ranging and well-told, taking Leo from his cushy Moscow berth as a favored and faithful agent to demotion and denouncement under Stalin's rigorous regime. Demidov's decision to hunt down a serial killer the State refuses to admit exists may indeed restore him (Book One: Child 44), but the resulting responsibilities
Fatima Gonzalez
3.5/5. Tom Rob Smith creo una gran trilogia basado en la cronicas de Leo Demidov. Nos creo un personaje que a traves de sus historias lo fuimos conociendo desde Agente de KGB hasta que fue desertor a su patria.

En esta ocasion Agent 6, nos lleva a tres tiempos 1950,1963 y 1980 y nos hace visitar Moscow, NY y Afganistan. En la misma vemos nuevamente como nuestro protagonista,ya un civil, lo inmiscuyen en las estrategias e ideologias politicas que en un momento dado de su vida fue leal y fiel.

Bonnie Brody
I didn't love the second book in this trilogy (The Secret Speech), so I read this one only because I loved the first book—Child 44. Unfortunately, this one is more like The Secret Speech than Child 44. What made Child 44 such a great book was that the mystery/thriller story was actually not the heart of the book—the heart was the effect of Stalinism on people's psyches and relationships. The mystery was just a way of getting at that idea. The other two books have been much more like typical susp ...more
Heather Croxon
Sometimes you read a book series that starts off with a bang and continues along in the same fashion. Then there are other times when you read a series that starts off ok and gets better the further you go along. THEN. Then there are those series that blow your mind to begin with and by the end of them you wish you’d stopped at the first one. Unfortunately that’s what happened with me in reading Agent 6 – the final instalment of the ‘Leo Demidov Trilogy’.

I didn’t hate Agent 6. In many ways I thi
Marianna Neal
As see on Impression Blend

2.5 of out 5 stars

As you can tell by my rating, I did not get along very well with Agent 6. It's hard to even explain the premise of the book without ruining a big portion of it, but I will do my best. The book spans over a long period of time, starting with the pre-evolved Leo in 1950 and going all the way to 1980s. It also takes place in three different countries: USSR, USA, and Afghanistan. Leo in Agent 6 is a man struggling to adjust to family life by letting go of
What an amazing trilogy. The second and third books were not as good as Child 44 but that doesn't mean they weren't good. They were still amazing. Which probably means that Child 44 ranks as one of my favorite books of all time.

Agent 6 follows the same style as it's predecessors with non stop action, adventure, twists, and fresh, snappy dialogue so I'm not sure why it feels a notch lower than Child 44 and The Secret Speech. Maybe it was the far fetched plot? Or too much politics and ideology, n
Set in 1965 onwards, this is the final instalment in the story of Russian secret agent Leo Demidov, following on from Child 44 and The Secret Speech, neither of which I’ve read. I didn’t feel that I needed to in order to understand Leo’s past life as early on we are given an insight into the brutal regime in 1950’s Soviet Union.

Leo is no longer an agent, he has a mundane job and is now married to Raisa. When she and her two daughters are invited to New York as part of a delegation of students pe
A thriller featuring a former KGB agent as a sympathetic hero? Who knew it could be done? Well, author Tom Rob Smith did, and he has created a masterful fast paced mystery featuring the former agent Leo Demidov in what is actually the last of an incredible trilogy. This volume stands alone and can easily be enjoyed by the reader who has not yet read the first two in the series. It will make one want to go back and read them in a hurry though!

Leo's experiences in the KGB/Secret police cause a sl
Zöe Yu
A therapist told me once she works in counseling field, she no longer reads novels. Because she feels the fictional world is way less interested as the real world. Everything comes from the real world. She thought being a therapist is to read the world, but that is not true. Novel, fictions come from real world, with a bit exaggeration or none, it displays you a far more rich picture of the entire planet we are inhabiting in. Novel never dies.

Reading Tom Rob Smith's novel is like taking a zigza
I like this book. I'm sure that it has its weaknesses, most of them in the general style and structure, but it has a powerful and compelling story line based on a character, Leo Demidov, who is the original obsessive compulsive. The theme of the book, stated over and over, is that a good woman can save a man who yearns to believe in something. In return those men (for men are saved, not just Leo), save others, often as an afterthought. The book is a bit more revolutionary than its reviews would ...more
Peter Boysen
The transition between "The Secret Speech" and this book is just about the only logical leap in this trilogy that doesn't make sense. Leo Demidov leaves the KGB to be a factory manager, accepting a serious demotion in pay -- and earning the suspicion of the State. At the same time, though, his wife, who had at one point been suspected of being a spy, is selected to be the leader of a student delegation to the United Nations and Washington, D.C.

While there, she is shot in a New York City police p
Although this book didn’t disappoint me, I found it the least captivating of the three he’s written so far. It takes quite a while for the story to kick in, and even longer before we find out what the title refers to. Leo is still likeable as ever, but he spends too much time traipsing all over the place so the setting lacks a focus. Plus there’s just not enough tension. Once the murder pivotal to the story is committed the plot ambles along and doesn’t pick up until near the end.

And speaking of
This book is not even in the same stratosphere as the first two books. Leo came across as a completely different character. He was not the Leo I knew and loved from the other books. I found this book extremely boring and had a very difficult time getting through it. If you are interested in reading this trilogy I recommend that you stop after the second book. Don't waste your time with this one.
I thoroughly enjoyed Tom Smith's first two books - primarily in part due to the challenges facing the main character in working to find the truth in a world that is controlled by fear and paranoia and abuse of power through the KGB. I was very much looking forward to his third book. Alas, it was a big disappointment.

The main character Leo spendin waaaay too much time feeling sorry for himself, and not enough time on the plot of solving the mystery of his personal tragedy. Indeed, I think there i
Sep 15, 2014 Debbie rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: all
Recommended to Debbie by: read his other books
Shelves: favorites
Why does it have to be over? I am now going to try another Russian themed series just to get back to this lovely edge of your seat and care about the characters zone. Please write more books, Mr. Smith
Heather Fineisen
Tom Rob Smith's third entry in the Leo Demidov trilogy doesn't quite come together leaving an unsatisfactory ending to this mini series. There are flashbacks in the storyline that do reveal some of the reasons behind Demidov' s dark character but there are holes that will leave many readers flipping back through pages wondering if they missed something. They didn't. Not sure what happened with this one midway as Smith has shown his skill and ability to be a reader's darling in the past.

Tired of Afghanistan period 11 40 Jul 21, 2015 08:30AM
A Million More Pages: 3 - Agent 6 (Leo Demidov): Jan 8 17 24 Feb 07, 2015 02:45AM
  • Shadow Pass (Inspector Pekkala #2)
  • The Darkening Field (Captain Alexei Dimitrevich Korolev, #2)
  • The Trinity Six
  • The Child Thief
  • Bitter Water (Douglas Brodie, #2)
  • The Stalin Epigram
  • Stalin's Ghost (Arkady Renko, #6)
  • Death of a Dissident (Porfiry Rostnikov, #1)
  • Heart of the Hunter
  • Moscow Sting (Anna Resnikov, #2)
  • Inquisition
  • Collusion (Jack Lennon Investigations #2)
  • The Warsaw Anagrams
  • Red Wolf (Annika Bengtzon, #5)
  • The Candle Man
  • Der stumme Tod
Tom Rob Smith (born 1979) is an English writer. The son of a Swedish mother and an English father, Smith was raised in London where he lives today. After graduating from Cambridge University in 2001, he completed his studies in Italy, studying creative writing for a year. After these studies, he worked as a scriptwriter.

His first novel, Child 44, about a series of child murders in Stalinist Russia
More about Tom Rob Smith...

Leo Demidov (3 books)
  • Child 44 (Leo Demidov, #1)
  • The Secret Speech (Leo Demidov, #2)

“Ideas are more powerful than guns. We would not let our enemies have guns, why should we let them have ideas?” 44 likes
“An infamous political prison required a revolution as much as a revolution required an infamous political prison.” 0 likes