Start by marking “Agent 6 (Leo Demidov, #3)” as Want to Read:
Agent 6 (Leo Demidov, #3)

Read Excerpt

Agent 6 (Leo Demidov #3)

3.78  ·  Rating Details  ·  7,227 Ratings  ·  822 Reviews
Tom Rob Smith—the bestselling, award-winning author of Child 44, and one of the most critically-acclaimed new writers of our time—returns with a thrilling and provocative new novel: Agent 6.

How far would you go to solve a crime against your family?

It is 1965. Leo Demidov, a former secret police agent, is forbidden to travel with his wife and daughters from Moscow to New Yo
Published January 5th 2012 by Grand Central Publishing (first published 2011)

To ask other readers questions about Agent 6, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Agent 6

The Help by Kathryn StockettThe Art of Racing in the Rain by Garth SteinExtremely Loud and Incredibly Close by Jonathan Safran FoerLone Wolf by Jodi PicoultThe Kite Runner by Khaled Hosseini
Books I want to read in 2012
62nd out of 411 books — 365 voters
Harry Potter Boxset by J.K. RowlingWhispers by Lauren KleverThe Hunger Games by Suzanne CollinsVisions by Lauren KleverThe Mortal Instruments Boxed Set by Cassandra Clare
Your Favorite Book Series
12th out of 256 books — 56 voters

More lists with this book...

Richard Derus
Rating: 2* of five

The Book Description: THREE DECADES.
TWO MURDERS.
ONE CONSPIRACY.

WHO IS AGENT 6?

Tom Rob Smith's debut, Child 44, was an immediate publishing sensation and marked the arrival of a major new talent in contemporary fiction. Named one of top 100 thrillers of all time by NPR, it hit bestseller lists around the world, won the CWA Ian Fleming Steel Dagger Award and the ITW Thriller Award for Best First Novel, and was longlisted for the Man Booker Prize.
In this spellbinding new novel, T
Willow
Jul 25, 2014 Willow rated it it was amazing
Hey Sera! Thanks for the buddy read!

It was inevitable that I would finish this series. I loved Child 44 so much that I had to continue. Of course, the story of Leo is much sadder than I hoped for, and I don’t think books 2 and 3 were as quite as compelling as the first. I liked this book way better than The Secret Speech though.

One of Tom Rob Smith’s talents is he doesn’t write melodramatically. His prose is simple and to the point. Never once does this book drag.

Smith's characters were inter
Britany
Aug 30, 2015 Britany rated it liked it
Agent 6 is the third installment of the Leo Demidov series about a Russian spy turned modern day hero. Leo Demidov makes a compelling man- equal parts rough and redeemable. Two stories twisting together make this last book a little too long, and a little too drawn out for me. Some parts still had that cliffhanger making me anxious to keep reading, and other sections I felt the need to skim over.

Great series with deeply drawn characters that I really enjoyed, just wish that the story arc didn't
Helen
Jan 21, 2012 Helen rated it it was amazing
Shelves: espionage
Here’s the good news; Agent 6, Tom Rob Smith’s final installment in the Leo Demidov trilogy, is just as breathtakingly good as Child 44.

This is a beautifully written book, with a plot almost too complex to summarize. His spare, bleak prose, his masterful descriptions of place, love, grief and betrayal, his sympathy for the powerless of this world, his grasp of the way the past returns to influence the present, easily catapult him to the strata of writers like Graham Greene and John leCarre.

Y
Richard Derus
Apr 01, 2016 Richard Derus rated it it was ok
Rating: 2* of five

The Publisher Says: THREE DECADES.
TWO MURDERS.
ONE CONSPIRACY.

WHO IS AGENT 6?

In this spellbinding new novel, Tom
Paul
Nov 25, 2015 Paul rated it liked it
While I wouldn't go so far as to say this third part in the Leo Demidov trilogy is a disappointment, it is definitely the weakest of the three, which is always a shame for a trilogy.

Don't get me wrong; I enjoyed it. The first half of the book, which shifts the spotlight away from Leo himself and onto his wife and two daughters, was really good. It was a real shift in tone, which caught my attention and held it until the first act's tragic ending. Said tragic ending was absolutely gutting, too.

It
Schmacko
May 24, 2012 Schmacko rated it liked it
Tom Rob Smith’s newest book strays away from the darkness – the Stalinist paranoia – that made his first, Child 44, so good. Instead, this is a more meandering international thriller that brings Russia and Smith’s Russian hero Leo Demidov into modern times. Because the sickness of the serial killer is absent, this is a little less thrilling. The threats of the KGB are also weaker. Think slightly watered down John Le Carre.

Leo and his wife Raisa are raising their two daughters when a unique oppor
Jamie
May 06, 2015 Jamie rated it really liked it
Craig "NEEDS MORE DAMN TIME TO READ !!!!"
While the book was a decent read in itself I didn't enjoy it as much as the previous two. It can be read as a standalone even though it's technically a continuation but nothing was really alluded to from previous books apart from the odd place or building description. It's also listed as the final book but it's ending is left open or abrupt depending on your interpretation even though it's fairly obvious what will happen to Leo...

First book was a great serial killer thriller, second was a great
☮Karen
May 21, 2015 ☮Karen rated it liked it
This completes the trilogy/series and all are enjoyable reads. I have to say though that in my opinion the first book Child 44 outshines them all by far.

Here is ex-KGB agent Leo, left alone in 1965 Russia while his family members have the opportunity to fly to NYC on a peace tour of sorts. Things go horribly wrong for them, and after years of trying to get permission to go to the States to investigate for himself, Leo finally makes it. First up, however, is a detour to Afghanistan as an advisor
Mal Warwick
Jan 30, 2012 Mal Warwick rated it it was amazing
A Superb Suspense Novel Set in the USSR, Afghanistan, and the U.S.

The third book in a trilogy, Agent 6 concludes the story of Leo Demidov, a hero in the Great Patriotic War (as the USSR termed World War II) and later an agent in Stalin’s secret police. By way of introduction, the book opens in 1950 with Leo in thrall to the Sovet State, a senior officer in the MGB (predecessor to the KGB and to today’s FSB) charged with training newly recruited agents. Jesse Austin, a world-famous African-Americ
Nick Davies
More of a three and a half than a three, this was every bit as decently written as the previous two in the trilogy - well researched, a realistic cast of characters you cared about (partially due to getting to know them earlier in the series), action and pace. I just felt it suffered a little by virtue of being the final in the trilogy.. an obligation to tie things up, the need to do the same things that worked in the previous books, the author seemingly faced with 'right, what did the USSR do i ...more
Maddy
Sep 02, 2012 Maddy rated it it was amazing
Shelves: tops, 2012-reads
PROTAGONIST: Leo Demidov, secret police agent
SETTING: Moscow, US, Afghanistan
SERIES: #3 of 3
RATING: 4.75

AGENT 6 is the final installment in the Child 44 trilogy, which features Soviet secret police agent Leo Demidov. It is a wonderful conclusion to a series that is epic in scope. AGENT opens in 1951 in Moscow, where the young agent Leo is assigned the prestigious duty of escorting a black American singer, Jesse Austin, around Moscow. Austin has espoused the Communist cause; the Russian governmen
Natalie
Jan 29, 2015 Natalie rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-2015
Ova knjiga zaokružuje trilogiju i baš mi je žao što je gotova. Glavni lik me pridobio odmah na prvo čitanje u knjizi ''Dijete 44'', tada je Leo bio mlad, zgodan, u punoj snazi za genijalnog agenta…U ovom zadnjem dijelu pod naslovom ''Agent 6'' pratimo život glavnog lika i njegove obitelji kroz 16 godina nakon što mu je žena Raisa poginula. Leo završi u Afganistanu i napokon u Americi gdje pokušava otkriti tko mu je zapravo ubio ženu. Nažalost, odgovori mu nisu donjeli ni zadovoljštinu ni olakšan ...more
Antigone
May 28, 2015 Antigone rated it liked it
With this final installment, Tom Rob Smith ties off his espionage trilogy involving the trials and tribulations of Russian State Security Officer Leo Demidov.

The journey has been wide-ranging and well-told, taking Leo from his cushy Moscow berth as a favored and faithful agent to demotion and denouncement under Stalin's rigorous regime. Demidov's decision to hunt down a serial killer the State refuses to admit exists may indeed restore him (Book One: Child 44), but the resulting responsibilities
Fatima
Jun 17, 2015 Fatima rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
3.5/5. Tom Rob Smith creo una gran trilogia basado en la cronicas de Leo Demidov. Nos creo un personaje que a traves de sus historias lo fuimos conociendo desde Agente de KGB hasta que fue desertor a su patria.

En esta ocasion Agent 6, nos lleva a tres tiempos 1950,1963 y 1980 y nos hace visitar Moscow, NY y Afganistan. En la misma vemos nuevamente como nuestro protagonista,ya un civil, lo inmiscuyen en las estrategias e ideologias politicas que en un momento dado de su vida fue leal y fiel.

Aqui
Mar 11, 2014 Sarah rated it really liked it
What an amazing trilogy. The second and third books were not as good as Child 44 but that doesn't mean they weren't good. They were still amazing. Which probably means that Child 44 ranks as one of my favorite books of all time.

Agent 6 follows the same style as it's predecessors with non stop action, adventure, twists, and fresh, snappy dialogue so I'm not sure why it feels a notch lower than Child 44 and The Secret Speech. Maybe it was the far fetched plot? Or too much politics and ideology, n
Zöe Yu
Jun 23, 2012 Zöe Yu rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: russian
A therapist told me once she works in counseling field, she no longer reads novels. Because she feels the fictional world is way less interested as the real world. Everything comes from the real world. She thought being a therapist is to read the world, but that is not true. Novel, fictions come from real world, with a bit exaggeration or none, it displays you a far more rich picture of the entire planet we are inhabiting in. Novel never dies.

Reading Tom Rob Smith's novel is like taking a zigza
Bonnie Brody
Feb 28, 2012 Bonnie Brody rated it it was ok
Becky
Oct 28, 2013 Becky rated it liked it
I didn't love the second book in this trilogy (The Secret Speech), so I read this one only because I loved the first book—Child 44. Unfortunately, this one is more like The Secret Speech than Child 44. What made Child 44 such a great book was that the mystery/thriller story was actually not the heart of the book—the heart was the effect of Stalinism on people's psyches and relationships. The mystery was just a way of getting at that idea. The other two books have been much more like typical susp ...more
Heather Croxon
Aug 06, 2015 Heather Croxon rated it liked it
Sometimes you read a book series that starts off with a bang and continues along in the same fashion. Then there are other times when you read a series that starts off ok and gets better the further you go along. THEN. Then there are those series that blow your mind to begin with and by the end of them you wish you’d stopped at the first one. Unfortunately that’s what happened with me in reading Agent 6 – the final instalment of the ‘Leo Demidov Trilogy’.

I didn’t hate Agent 6. In many ways I thi
Christine
Apr 27, 2015 Christine rated it it was ok
Shelves: 2015-reads
Krissy
Feb 02, 2016 Krissy rated it did not like it
This book is not even in the same stratosphere as the first two books. Leo came across as a completely different character. He was not the Leo I knew and loved from the other books. I found this book extremely boring and had a very difficult time getting through it. If you are interested in reading this trilogy I recommend that you stop after the second book. Don't waste your time with this one.
Marianna Neal
Jun 03, 2015 Marianna Neal rated it it was ok
Shelves: 2015-reads
As see on Impression Blend

2.5 of out 5 stars

As you can tell by my rating, I did not get along very well with Agent 6. It's hard to even explain the premise of the book without ruining a big portion of it, but I will do my best. The book spans over a long period of time, starting with the pre-evolved Leo in 1950 and going all the way to 1980s. It also takes place in three different countries: USSR, USA, and Afghanistan. Leo in Agent 6 is a man struggling to adjust to family life by letting go of
Carole
Aug 18, 2011 Carole rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Set in 1965 onwards, this is the final instalment in the story of Russian secret agent Leo Demidov, following on from Child 44 and The Secret Speech, neither of which I’ve read. I didn’t feel that I needed to in order to understand Leo’s past life as early on we are given an insight into the brutal regime in 1950’s Soviet Union.

Leo is no longer an agent, he has a mundane job and is now married to Raisa. When she and her two daughters are invited to New York as part of a delegation of students pe
Vicki
Jan 03, 2012 Vicki rated it it was amazing
A thriller featuring a former KGB agent as a sympathetic hero? Who knew it could be done? Well, author Tom Rob Smith did, and he has created a masterful fast paced mystery featuring the former agent Leo Demidov in what is actually the last of an incredible trilogy. This volume stands alone and can easily be enjoyed by the reader who has not yet read the first two in the series. It will make one want to go back and read them in a hurry though!

Leo's experiences in the KGB/Secret police cause a sl
Gordon
Mar 28, 2012 Gordon rated it really liked it
Shelves: school
I like this book. I'm sure that it has its weaknesses, most of them in the general style and structure, but it has a powerful and compelling story line based on a character, Leo Demidov, who is the original obsessive compulsive. The theme of the book, stated over and over, is that a good woman can save a man who yearns to believe in something. In return those men (for men are saved, not just Leo), save others, often as an afterthought. The book is a bit more revolutionary than its reviews would ...more
Peter Boysen
Jan 31, 2012 Peter Boysen rated it really liked it
The transition between "The Secret Speech" and this book is just about the only logical leap in this trilogy that doesn't make sense. Leo Demidov leaves the KGB to be a factory manager, accepting a serious demotion in pay -- and earning the suspicion of the State. At the same time, though, his wife, who had at one point been suspected of being a spy, is selected to be the leader of a student delegation to the United Nations and Washington, D.C.

While there, she is shot in a New York City police p
J.P.
Apr 27, 2013 J.P. rated it liked it
Although this book didn’t disappoint me, I found it the least captivating of the three he’s written so far. It takes quite a while for the story to kick in, and even longer before we find out what the title refers to. Leo is still likeable as ever, but he spends too much time traipsing all over the place so the setting lacks a focus. Plus there’s just not enough tension. Once the murder pivotal to the story is committed the plot ambles along and doesn’t pick up until near the end.

And speaking of
Sherri
Mar 01, 2012 Sherri rated it it was ok
I thoroughly enjoyed Tom Smith's first two books - primarily in part due to the challenges facing the main character in working to find the truth in a world that is controlled by fear and paranoia and abuse of power through the KGB. I was very much looking forward to his third book. Alas, it was a big disappointment.

The main character Leo spendin waaaay too much time feeling sorry for himself, and not enough time on the plot of solving the mystery of his personal tragedy. Indeed, I think there i
Tired of Afghanistan period 11 44 Jul 21, 2015 08:30AM
A Million More Pages: 3 - Agent 6 (Leo Demidov): Jan 8 17 26 Feb 07, 2015 02:45AM
  • Archive 17 (Inspector Pekkala #3)
  • The Trinity Six
  • The Darkening Field (Captain Alexei Dimitrevich Korolev, #2)
  • The Child Thief
  • Moscow Sting (Anna Resnikov, #2)
  • The Stalin Epigram
  • Stalin's Children: Three Generations of Love and War
  • Three Stations (Arkady Renko, #7)
  • Goldstein
  • The Silver Locomotive Mystery (Detective Inspector Robert Colbeck, #6)
  • Chernobyl Murders (Lazlo Horvath Thriller #1)
  • Tre Hundes Nat
  • Sashenka
  • Death of a Dissident (Porfiry Rostnikov, #1)
  • The Warsaw Anagrams
  • Heart of the Hunter
  • Room No. 10 (Inspector Winter, #7)
Tom Rob Smith (born 1979) is an English writer. The son of a Swedish mother and an English father, Smith was raised in London where he lives today. After graduating from Cambridge University in 2001, he completed his studies in Italy, studying creative writing for a year. After these studies, he worked as a scriptwriter.

His first novel, Child 44, about a series of child murders in Stalinist Russia
More about Tom Rob Smith...

Leo Demidov (3 books)
  • Child 44 (Leo Demidov, #1)
  • The Secret Speech (Leo Demidov, #2)

“Ideas are more powerful than guns. We would not let our enemies have guns, why should we let them have ideas?” 45 likes
“The citizens of this country are given idiotic escapism in order to prevent them asking deeper questions.” 0 likes