Start by marking “The Knitter's Handy Book of Patterns” as Want to Read:
The Knitter's Handy Book of Patterns

The Knitter's Handy Book of Patterns

4.23 of 5 stars 4.23  ·  rating details  ·  593 ratings  ·  34 reviews
Offering charts and plans for making infant- through adult-sized projects, this unique book provides knitters with a complete resource of more than 350 patterns for caps, tams, scarves, vests, sweaters, mittens, gloves, and socks that are written for multiple gauges to accommodate all weights of yarn from bulky to fingering. Also included are the basics of pattern design a...more
Spiral-bound, 96 pages
Published June 1st 2002 by Interweave Press

To ask other readers questions about The Knitter's Handy Book of Patterns, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Knitter's Handy Book of Patterns

Lynne Cantwell
I was so excited when I got this book. I can never find gloves that fit -- my palms are broad and my fingers are short (I say I've got square hands), and the fingers on mass-produced gloves are always too long for me. So the first thing I did was to make myself a pair of gloves. And they fit! And they weren't hard to make, either! That alone was worth the price of the book, to me.

Like Budd's other books in her Knitter's Handy Book series, this one provides you with directions for multiple basic...more
Anne Hawn Smith
This is a great book for every knitter to have. You can start with any of the various patterns for sweaters, hats, mittens and socks in several weights of yarn and then use your own stitch patterns to personalize the project. There are guidelines for each type of pattern and suggestions for modifications. You can see some wonderful yarn and know that you can make something using this very handy book. There are plenty of fitting suggestions also, so you can always get a perfect fit.
PBnJ
A basic set of flexible patterns for all skill levels. Very useful reference!
Olga Rode
The BEST book for basic knitting patterns
Emily
This is a great knitting book... gives you a basic pattern and lets you design everything else yourself. It makes it really easy to use up that wonderful yarn that you don't have a project for. Knit a swatch, check your gauge and you are ready to go. I've made three hats so far.. one Fibonacci sequence, one based off of an Ethiopian scroll, and one with a cute little top knot.
Mary
This book has a basic pattern with measurements to help make the item and make it to fit. Love this book and would buy it in heart beat if my library wasn't so nice about their loan policy (can keep it for a long time as long as no one else wants it).
Judi
Interweave is known for quality needlework books and this is no exception. Easy to read patterns in a large variety of styles, sizes and gauges in most knitted garments. Awesome. Made the socks and plain sweater so far, both in worsted weight yarn.
Samcatbear
As with the Handy Book of Sweaters, a great knitting resource. I feel the patterns in this are a touch dated, and the hats aren't to my taste, but still an excellent go-to for basic patterns to use as a springboard for projects.
Amy H
Best pattern book for knitters of all levels. It is exactly what title suggests, patterns in basic styles and varying sizes. This book is a great value and will be a staple for all knitters.
Pam Novack
This is one of those books that most knitters would want to have in her/his collection. It looks like I'll be using it for my next scarf project, as I wasn't happy with offerings I found elsewhere.
Ann Johnson Davis
Very clear instructions for basic shapes, in an endless (seemingly) array of gauges and sizes. I've used this over and over whenever I'm after basic a silhouette to get creative with.
Holly
Jun 09, 2008 Holly rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: knitters of all skill levels
Shelves: knitting
This is one of the most used books in my knitting library. Sure, you could work out all these numbers for yourself, but why when Ann Budd has so graciously done it for you!
Lisaleh
Feb 02, 2011 Lisaleh rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: All knitters
Incredibly practical. A great go-to book when you want a basic pattern for the yarn you have on hand. Just knit up a swatch, check your gauge and off you go!
Carla Miller
Very useful reference book to keep on hand.
Larissa Brown
Another most wonderful book, especially for advanced beginners who want basic templates they can play around with.
A recipe for about everything you'd ever want to knit. My copy is rather wounded from heavy use.
Rebecca Coday
I use this book often, love to be able to design my own stuff by using the charts and instructions.
Missy
I am just learning and this seemed helpful and a little over my head all at the same time!
Tsimplekelly
Jan 07, 2009 Tsimplekelly marked it as to-read
I have seen this book and coveted it, but have yet to buy it. Would be a great resource
Laura Hontz
Very helpful - easy to follow - a go to book for beginners to advanced knitters.
Deb
This book has been useful in knitting a vest for my husband. A great overall reference.
Valorie Brown
Very helpful for knitters wanting to put a toe into the designing pond.
Kerry
I really do need to own a copy of this book. It is so helpful.
Larissa
Invaluable. I want to be on "every" page but Goodreads won't let me.
Kelly Smith
This is a must-have for every knitter's library.
Brenda
an indispensible guide! I use it all the time.
Amberjean
Fantastic reference for basic pattern shapes.
Sandy
Great help when knitting for others.
WifeMomKnitter
I call this my Knitting Bible.
Hilary Chalmers
An essential knitting reference.
  • A Second Treasury of Knitting Patterns
  • Elizabeth Zimmermann's Knitter's Almanac
  • Sensational Knitted Socks
  • Folk Socks: The History & Techniques of Handknitted Footwear
  • Victorian Lace Today
  • Folk Shawls
  • The Knitter's Book of Yarn: The Ultimate Guide to Choosing, Using, and Enjoying Yarn
  • The Knitting Experience Book 1: The Knit Stitch, Inspiration & Instruction
  • Scarf Style
  • New Pathways for Sock Knitters: Book One
  • Vogue Knitting: The Ultimate Knitting Book
  • Knitter's handbook
  • A Gathering of Lace
  • Knitting on the Edge: Ribs * Ruffles * Lace * Fringes * Floral * Points & Picots - The Essential Collection of 350 Decorative Borders
Favorite Socks: 25 Timeless Designs from Interweave The Knitter's Handy Book of Sweater Patterns Getting Started Knitting Socks The Best of Interweave Knits Sock Knitting Master Class: Innovative Techniques + Patterns from Top Designers