Start by marking “Whiskey Sour: A Jack Daniels Mystery” as Want to Read:
Whiskey Sour: A Jack Daniels Mystery

Whiskey Sour: A Jack Daniels Mystery (Jacqueline "Jack" Daniels #1)

3.84  ·  Rating Details ·  10,678 Ratings  ·  1,042 Reviews

Lieutenant Jacqueline "Jack" Daniels is having a bad week. Her live-in boyfriend has left her for his personal trainer, chronic insomnia has caused her to max out her credit cards with late-night home shopping purchases, and a frightening killer who calls himself 'The Gingerbread Man' is dumping mutilated bodies in her district.

While avoiding the FBI and its moronic profi
Published by Hyperion (first published May 12th 2004)

To ask other readers questions about Whiskey Sour, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Whiskey Sour

Stephen
Photobucket

INGREDIENTS

1. Two ounces Jack Daniels Tennessee Whiskey Lt. Jacqueline Daniels, hardboiled detective with the Chicago Police Department;

2. One-Half Cup crushed ice horrific, brutal killings;

3. Two-thirds ounce of fresh lemon juice sadistic (and I mean mondo sadistic) serial killer known as the Gingerbread Man;

4. One-half ounce sugar standard supporting cast, including jolly, over-eating partner with heart of gold, and a couple of FBI tosspots who couldn’t find their ass with 10 hands and GPS
 Danielle The Book Huntress (Back to the Books)
Whiskey Sour is the first book in the Jack Daniels mystery series. Lieutenant Jack Daniels of the Chicago Police Department is an insomniac workaholic who is on the case of a brutal serial killer at work in Chicago. He goes by the name of the Gingerbread Man, and his favorite hobby is taking lives in the most brutal ways possible. Jack has made police work her life, at the expense of her marriage and peace of mind. And now, she’s too set in her ways to change. That same determination has attract ...more
Mike (the Paladin)
I finished this a couple of days ago and am just now getting around to reviewing it. In many ways I'd like to give the book more than 3 stars. I like the writing overall and the characters are easy to get to know and have a "real folks" feel that I think can sell a book or series.

Unfortunately there are a few problems with the book that "bug" me personally. The biggest and worst (for me) of these are the extremely graphic murder scenes from the point of view of the killer. (I don't believe this
Lisa
Jan 07, 2017 Lisa rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: thrillers
Whisky Sour by J.A Konrath is the first in the series For Lieutenant Jack Daniels AKA Jacqueline I really enjoyed this read Jack is a really well written character, loved her spunk but she is married to her job the series is set in Chicago. Her partner Detective Herb Benedict was also well written & had a bit of a quirky humour about him, but is dedicated to his job.

The plot had me from the get go & The Gingerbread Man was a well crafted villain who I liked even though he was one evil sa
Vicki Willis
Mar 25, 2015 Vicki Willis rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I can't believe I waited so long to start this series. This was my kind of book. I loved the character of Jack, being both flawed and funny. The book was fast paced and easy to read. The chapters had an alternating POV which I like and the sections written from the Gingerbread Man were tense and suspenseful. I can't wait to read the next book in the series.
Noetic_Hatter
Aug 05, 2012 Noetic_Hatter rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: People who like tough chicks, police procedurals, or thrillers
Five Stars for what it is: A fine, fast-reading hard-boiled pulp detective novel starring a tough female cop.

Jacqueline "Jack" Daniels is a 40-something Detective Lieutanant in Chicago's Violent Crimes unit. She has a hard time with relationships, can't sleep, holds her own in a bar fight, and works herself to the bone. Fans of Kinsey Milhone and her compatriots will recognize Jack. The supporting cast are a bit cardboard, but that's to be expected. You have the goofy FBI agents, the overweight
La Tonya  Jordan
Dec 30, 2016 La Tonya Jordan rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Mystery Lovers
Recommended to La Tonya by: Mystery Book Club Carmel, IN
Shelves: good-read
Jack Daniels is short for Jacqueline. Lieutenant Jack Daniels is chasing a serial killer by the name of "The Gingerbread Man". His murders are becoming more deadly and sadistic at each turn. The entire Chicago Police Department is looking for him as well as the feds.

Lieutenant Jack Daniels and her partner Detective Herb Benedict are following up each lead with precise. But, "The Gingerbread Man" starts to have an obsession with killing Jack and will stop at nothing to make sure she dies with pa
LJ
WHISKEY SOUR (Police Procedural-Chicago-Cont) – VG
Konrath, J.A. – 1st in series
Hyperion, 2004- Hardcover
Lt. "Jack," short for Jacqueline, Daniels can't seem to sustain a relationship. Her partner, Herb, will eat anything, anytime. Together, they are on the hunt for "The Gingerbread Man," a serial killer who tortures women before killing them. Oh, and the FBI profilers think it's a hunchback who likes horses.
*** This was great! The characters are marvelous, the dialogue is crisp and funny, and ye
Jim
I gave this 4 stars, although it's probably only a 3 star book. It's an entertaining thriller - serial killer tracked by Lt. Jack Daniels, a cop. She's as tough & gritty as any I've read about. The action scenes are well done, dialogue is good & the plot is ample.

I gave this book an extra star because I got it for free from Konrath's site:
I think that's a great way to introduce a series. I've already bought the next 2 books & they're on their way, so the free
Kirsten *Make Margaret Atwood Fiction Again!"
Book Club Selection for the J.D. Robb group.

Another wonderful "new to me" detective discovery. I very much like "Jack" Daniels. She's got a great attitude and sense of humor. It was an interesting format going back and forth from Jack's to the killer's POV. At one point, it was gritty and dark and violent, and, then, we're back to Jack's pov which is at turns detecting and police procedural and then also action and comedy.

I can't wait to move on in the books.
Cathy DuPont
Okay, it was ok.

The story was pretty good but what bothered me to no end was how, in the last chapters, all the loose ends were so obviously tied up. Nothing clever, no back end passes, nothing but straight answers to the questions that lingered.

And that was too bad because the storyline was just fine, nothing to write home about but much better than what I've read from nationally known authors. The dialog was great, no complaints there at all.

I'm continuing the series based first on the dial
aPriL does feral sometimes
This is a muscular mystery, Book One in a series. There is a huge current of cynical dark humor, and it is omnipresent in most of the characters. In my opinion, while it asserts a common tone and is entertaining to read, too many characters possess this single voice. The exceptions, the psychopath serial killer and the FBI, have extreme voices as well, so it would be fair to say this writer is not nuanced. However, it is not overly graphic, but hello, this is about a crazy sadistic killer of wom ...more
Lisa Kay
★★★★✩ (This is a review of the audiobook.) Nicely narrated by Susie Breck (female voices) and Dick Hill (male voices). I liked this method, as it worked well with the book, since we get the female detective's first person POV and the villain's thoughts. The psycho was a little too sick for me, so I skim-read some of those chapters instead of listening; however, I'll continue with the series. Fast listen and well paced. It kept me up until the wee hours reading and listening.
Lauren
Whiskey Sour
4 Stars

Lieutenant Jacqueline “Jack” Daniels (yes, yes that’s her name), is a seasoned Chicago detective investigating a series of horrific murders of young women committed by a killer calling himself the Gingerbread Man. Once Jack takes over the case, the killer becomes obsessed with her and things become a lot more personal.

***Beware: short rant ahead***
The only strike against this book is the derisive and dismissive attitude toward the FBI. Whether the author likes it or not (and h
Jerry Grahs
Konrath delivers us a 40 something cop, Jacqueline 'Jack' Daniels. Daniels is a Lieutenant in 'Violent Crimes Unit' in Chicago. Konrath mentions Chicago landmarks but we never get much of a sense of the city itself. Daniels is chasing a nasty serial killer that is into mutilating women and then leaving a 'present' deep inside their bodies. The plot inches along and while a few of the characters are interesting, Konrath keeps hitting the same notes and punchlines over and over again. There is the ...more
Cait S
Aug 20, 2015 Cait S rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Enjoyable read. From the description, I was expecting something a little more lighthearted but this is definitely a heavy murder mystery. Fair amount of gore as well, which doesn't bother me in the least, but again, was surprising.

I didn't enjoy the constant fat jokes. I think we were supposed to take away that Jack was so close with her partner that she could say things like that and they were okay. But really it just kind of made the author look like a jackass.

Also the Profilers for the FBI we
Brian redman
Jun 28, 2007 Brian redman rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: 18+
Fear and humor. That's what this book mixes. Basically, our heroine, Jacqueline Daniels, becomes the target of a sadistic killer after she begins investigating his crimes. He goes by the name, The Gingerbread Man, because he leaves clues in the wounds of his victims. It's a cat and mouse game but that's not what makes this book interesting. Really, it's the witty and snappy dialogue that makes this book a page turner. The book balances beautifully between disgusting descriptions and comedic mome ...more
Lee
Dec 18, 2009 Lee rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
When an author comes up with Jacqueline "Jack" Daniels as a name for his heroine, your pretty sure your in for some laughs. Our mid forties, dedicated cop with her sharp witty comments, down on her luck personal life, only adds to this fast entertaining debut. Add in a psychopathic killer that has Jack in his sights, and you get a well mixed thriller.
A blurb on the back of the book, states it well... "Konrath is Hiaasen with teeth." I concur. Will definitely continue on with this series.
Gina
Jordan Anderson
Nov 13, 2011 Jordan Anderson rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I’m not usually a fan of the police/detective novel. Regardless of characters, or plot twists, or writing skills (both good and bad), this genre seems to be the same. Good cop, dealing with inner demons gets caught up in what seems an unsolvable case only to figure out the killer in the last few chapters of the book.

Thankfully, Konrath’s Jack Daniels is not your typical cop, nor is “Whiskey Sour” your typical crime/detective novel.

Sure there are a few of the aforementioned cliches (Daniels has i
Connie (Ava Catherine)
Although there are a few very graphic, violent scenes in this book, I managed to push past those. The main detective, Jack Daniels, is the reason the book is so compelling. I like that Jack is mature, independent, flawed, sassy, and stubborn. Daniels's character is the reason this book is not just another serial killer/detective novel.
Ctgt
Nov 15, 2012 Ctgt rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery
I really debated between 3 or 4 stars here. I loved the main character and the surrounding cast, but I am getting somewhat weary of the serial killer thing. I went with four because I really liked the "Jack Daniels" character. You see plenty of middle aged male characters in crime fiction, but not so many females. At least, not too many that aren't in some branch of the medical field.
Terri
Jun 17, 2009 Terri rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I loved this book. Jack Daniels is the kind of cop I like and her determination to catch the Gingerbread Man. Konrath was excellent in making Jack a strong,likeable character and I will defintiely read more!
Tonya Smith
This is the first book of this series. it was good but I've read them out of order these books really need to be read in order due to the same character in them.
Larry Bassett
This is the first book in a series that began in 2004 about a tough female homicide detective. You can’t tell from the initials but the author is male. If I had a choice I would pick a woman to write about a woman detective. But I chose this because the cute (I thought) title has been on my list since I began reading mystery series several years ago and the new Kindle edition is available free on my new Kindle Paperwhite.

So I thought I was getting into a fun and fluff summer read. Wrong. So wron
Alexandra Engellmann
Have been following the author for some time, taking inspiration from his blog as a new author, and now I finally got to read his books. Wasn't disappointed a bit, even though I'm not a fan of the genre and don't like gore (take it too deeply and end up feeling a bit depressed). However, the witty style and sarcastic dialogues helped to balance the dark parts seen from the killer's POV. I ended up even a little big attached to the killer, and this proves how well developed the characters were in ...more
Kwoomac
If I'm going to be honest (and why not?) I'm giving this four stars in spite of skipping half the chapters. The chapters alternate POV, split between the cop Jacqueline "Jack" Daniels and the serial killer "The Gingerbread Man". I don't want to get inside the killer's head. That only leads to nightmares for me. If the writing hadn't been so clever, I might have decided to skip the whole thing, but it really was. Konrath creates a heroine in Jack Daniels who is everything you'd want in a protagon ...more
Karen B.
Jacqueline "Jack" Daniels is a detective with the Chicago Police Department Violent Crimes Division.
She and her partner ( who loves to eat even when he has stitches in his tongue) are assigned the case of a serial killer who nicknamed himself "The Gingerbread Man". She is right out of romantic break-up and lacking sleep and this is not a woman cop to be messed with. She is determined to get her man even if it kills her, which he almost does. She even chases him after being shot in the leg by him
Renee
Jan 15, 2013 Renee rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Now that was satisfying. Alas! A new series to pursue. And just in time, since I don't know if I will ever see Sue Grafton's Kinsey Millhone again. I will miss her. But Jack Daniels (short for Jacqueline), will help fill the yawning hole in my reading life. If you can't get past the too-clever name, she's a wry, emotionally stunted, workaholic, forty-something police lieutenant. She is a violent crimes detective. She's got enough experience to be equal parts circumspect, bitter, and funny. Lucky ...more
David Church
May 27, 2015 David Church rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book was a page turner! Normally I am not into the mystery/thriller genre of literature. Whiskey Sour (which is one of my favorite drinks) was able to keep me guessing and changing the plot around. I really liked the way the characters had so much depth to them, even minor secondary characters you felt like you could really visualize them in your mind and connect to them. Konrath really nailed the Jack Daniels character, what a great protagonist.
Madison Mega-Mara...: Whiskey Sour 1 1 Oct 04, 2013 06:35PM
Goodreads Librari...: 9781401300876 4 32 Sep 19, 2012 07:00PM
Action/Adventure ...: January Group Read: Whiskey Sour 89 40 Jan 14, 2012 10:59AM
  • Truck Stop
  • Serial Killers Uncut
  • Timecaster
  • Murder Passes the Buck (Gertie Johnson, #1)
  • Graverobbers Wanted: No Experience Necessary (Andrew Mayhem #1)
  • Dirty Laundry (Sofie Metropolis, #2)
  • Matanzas Bay (A Quint Mitchell Mystery - Book 1)
  • Sorrow Wood
  • A Dose of Murder (Pauline Sokol, #1)
  • Pink Balloons and Other Deadly Things (Carrie Carlin, #1)
  • Hail Mary (Jim Knighthorse series, #3)
JA Konrath writes the occasionally amusing and often frightening Lt. Jacqueline "Jack" Daniels thrillers, available in hardcover and paperback from Hyperion and as a spoken word from Brilliance Audio.

The books are a mixture of the humor of Janet Evanovich, Carl Hiaasen, Christopher Moore, but with the scares of James Patterson, Thomas Harris, Patricia Cornwell.

Basically, JA rips off everybody.

In o
More about J.A. Konrath...

Jacqueline "Jack" Daniels (1 - 10 of 11 books)
  • Bloody Mary (Jack Daniels Mystery, #2)
  • Rusty Nail (Jack Daniels Mystery, #3)
  • Dirty Martini (Jack Daniels Mystery, #4)
  • Fuzzy Navel (Jack Daniels Mystery, #5)
  • Cherry Bomb (Jack Daniels Mystery, #6)
  • Shaken (Jack Daniels Mystery, #7)
  • Stirred (Jack Daniels Mystery, #8)
  • Rum Runner (Jack Daniels Mystery, #9)
  • Last Call (Jack Daniels Mystery, #10)
  • White Russian (Jack Daniels #11)

“Sorry to hear about your Dad."
He shrugged. "He was seventy, and we always told him fast food would kill him."
"Heart attack?"
"He was hit by a Pizza Express truck.”
28 likes
“I wish I was like that. More carefree."

"Anyone can be. People aren't carved out of marble. We're all works in progress. The trick is to define ourselves, rather than let outside influences define us.”
7 likes