Start by marking “Looking Beyond the Ivy League” as Want to Read:
Looking Beyond the Ivy League

Looking Beyond the Ivy League

3.74 of 5 stars 3.74  ·  rating details  ·  124 ratings  ·  21 reviews

The celebrated book that revolutionized the way Americans choose colleges-now fully revised and updated

An invaluable guide with virtually no competition, this book helped to establish Loren Pope as one of the nation's most respected experts on the college application process. Now fully revised and updated, Looking Beyond the Ivy League offers a step-by-step guide to selec

Published December 18th 2007 by Penguin Group (USA) (first published April 1st 1990)

To ask other readers questions about Looking Beyond the Ivy League, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Looking Beyond the Ivy League

Tony
The college application process is a maze. Loren Pope adeptly pinpoints all the pessimism associated with an Ivy League. Throughout the college process, frustration and confusion hit hard like a bolt of lightning. It was not until I saw this book that I finally narrowed my list of 50 schools to my top 15. Although Loren is sort of biased, her experiences clearly enumerate all the possibilities for the college process. Looking beyond the Ivy League will make this process much easier. The competit ...more
Xi
Right from the title, you can tell that it is about college advice. What I really like about this book is that this book includes some sections about questions to ask when you do college visits. It really helped me to ask more relevant and helpful questions about colleges.
Besides the good aspects, there are negative sides too. This book can be biased in terms of telling us that small and liberal arts schools are the best, but some people prefer to be in bigger schools so they can have more conn
Kenny
Looking Beyond the Ivy League: Finding the College That's Right for You by Loren Pope is about how teenagers need to prepare themselves for college. College is a huge choice, and in Loren Pope's book, the author directs the reader in how to choose the right college, admissions, and all the necessary information that one needs to know. If one is losing doubt on the neccessary steps to approach college the right way, Loren Pope would help you. This is an easy to read and understandable book. This ...more
Susanna
Looking Beyond the Ivy League: Finding the College That’s Right for You by Lauren Pope talks about the process of choosing colleges, in helping you prepare for all the things you need to know. I found this book very helpful and this made me think about the subject I want to major in and the size of college I would like to be in, like big or small the pro’s and con’s of it. I have found several quotes that help me think the right way and quotes to encourage me. Like, “If you could make it here, y ...more
Mohamed Sall
The stance was that medium sized universities and schools with "big names" are to generally be avoided. Some points were understandable, but most of the time the author was unaware of the fact that not everyone will be suited for a particular school. For me, liberal arts schools were not a great fit, although the book was adamant about how beneficial it would be to the world if everyone attended them. Granted, liberal arts schools are great, but the author needs to be more considerate.
Dan
As long as the reader understands the author's biases towards "good, small colleges," there is a ream of excellent advice in this book on the college search process. Especially important, in my experience working for a scholarship company, is the chapter on writing a good essay. I would recommend this book much more quickly than its more famous counterpart (College That Change Lives), as its advice is broadly applicable to many colleges and not just the 40 in the aforementioned text.
Jasmine
This book was definitely an eye-opener for me. I recently got into an argument with a kid who had never read the book. We were arguing about the importance of SAT scores in an application. It's like we were speaking two different languages. This book changed my entire view of college and how to pick a college. Fully recommended for high schoolers everywhere.
Io
While this short book had a few good points, I found the author's patronizing tone to be terribly off-putting.
Angela Boord
Fairly useful, but not the sort of book you can just hand your teenager to read. As in Pope's other book, Colleges That Change Lives, I think it helps to be aware of his biases, which become apparent as you read. The basic advice is good, though: shop for colleges as if you were a consumer, not a beggar.
penelopewanders
This is one of those books which I'll be reading for a while, I think.. work-related.
A must-read for advising. Only thing which troubles me are the number of "the very best" schools in the country, or the ones which "there is no other as good as". Maybe I learned my superlatives wrong.
Christi Lupher
Well worth reading if you're sending a kid to college -- or if you ARE the kid whose gonna head off to college.

It analyzes what the whole purpose of going to college is in the first place, and talks about which schools best fulfill that. Eye opening.
Conor
Somewhat helpful... Said a lot of what I already knew, though Pope constantly mentioned schools that I am now considering putting on my list. Ask me about this book again this time next year.
Shurronne
Throughly enjoyed reading the behind the scene information as we look towards college in a few years. Very resourceful and insightful information for any parent who has a college-bound kid.
Jill
Very good information about college selection and steps to take that will help make good decisions about college.
Marianne Steimle
Had some interesting points about how to go about picking an appropriate college.
Erika
A bit outdated these days, but still a worthwhile read for those of us in the field.
Eileen
Very good book about how to go about the process of deciding on a college.
Cynthia
Great book. Required reading form my junior in HS this summer.
Lori
Must read. Love Loren Pope.
Marsha
Nov 20, 2010 Marsha marked it as to-read
Shelves: colleges
Tanan Allred
Tanan Allred marked it as to-read
May 01, 2015
Catherine
Catherine marked it as to-read
May 01, 2015
Jill
Jill marked it as to-read
Apr 18, 2015
Carmen
Carmen marked it as to-read
Apr 16, 2015
Dennis McCrea
Dennis McCrea marked it as to-read
Mar 25, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »
  • Acceptance: A Legendary Guidance Counselor Helps Seven Kids Find the Right Colleges—and Find Themselves
  • The Gatekeepers: Inside the Admissions Process of a Premier College
  • College Admission: From Application to Acceptance, Step by Step
  • Elements of Wit: Mastering the Art of Being Interesting
  • Willful Ignorance: The Mismeasure of Uncertainty
  • My Awesome Japan Adventure
  • Where You Go Is Not Who You'll Be: An Antidote to the College Admissions Mania
  • The Price of Admission: How America's Ruling Class Buys Its Way into Elite Colleges -- and Who Gets Left Outside the Gates
  • Personal Statement
  • Creating a Class: College Admissions and the Education of Elites
  • Alma Mater: A College Homecoming
  • School of Dreams: Making the Grade at a Top American High School
  • The Little Book of Neuroscience Haiku
  • Beer and Circus: How Big-Time College Sports Has Crippled Undergraduate Education
  • The Language Wars: A History of Proper English
  • Direct Hits Toughest Vocabulary of the SAT 5th Edition
  • Singletasking: Get More Done One Thing at a Time
  • Let's Go Europe 2011: The Student Travel Guide
Loren Brooks Pope was an American writer and independent college placement counselor.

In 1965, Pope, a former education editor of The New York Times, founded the College Placement Bureau, one of the first independent college placement counseling services in the United States.

His first book, "The Right College: How to Get In, Stay In, Get Back In" (Macmillan, 1970), was followed by a nationally synd
More about Loren Pope...
Colleges That Change Lives: 40 Schools That Will Change the Way You Think About Colleges Colleges That Change Lives: 40 Schools You Should Know About Even If You're Not a Straight-A Student