Start by marking “Enterprise Integration Patterns: Designing, Building, and Deploying Messaging Solutions” as Want to Read:

4.05 of 5 stars 4.05  ·  rating details  ·  522 ratings  ·  17 reviews
Provides a catalog of sixty-five patterns, with real-world solutions that demonstrate the formidable of messaging and help design effective messaging solutions for an enterprise. This book includes examples covering a variety of different integration technologies, and explores the advantages and limitations of asynchronous messaging architectures.
Published October 20th 2003 by Addison-Wesley Professional (first published October 10th 2003)

To ask other readers questions about Enterprise Integration Patterns, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Enterprise Integration Patterns

Test Driven Development by Kent BeckThe Pragmatic Programmer by Andrew HuntMastering Regular Expressions by Jeffrey E.F. FriedlThe Mythical Man-Month by Frederick P. Brooks Jr.The Art of Computer Programming by Donald Ervin Knuth
Ship It Suggested Reading List
9th out of 30 books — 2 voters
Domain-Driven Design by Eric EvansESB - Сервисная Шина Предприятия by Дэвид А. ШаппеллEnterprise Integration Patterns by Gregor HohpePatterns of Enterprise Application Architecture by Martin FowlerClean Code by Robert C. Martin
Enterprise Integration
3rd out of 10 books — 1 voter

More lists with this book...

Ash Moran
I started reading this because while working on a small app using Event Sourcing, I realised I was building an increasingly complex messaging system and rediscovering a lot of design decisions I knew must have already been resolved. My interest isn't in integration at all, but software built using messaging internally.

This is a long book but surprisingly easy to read, and engaging enough to read cover-to-cover. It works up from fundamental primitives like Message, Message Endpoint and Message Ch
Ronald
I wasn't really expecting to enjoy this book as much as I did but it is packed full of really useful information. I've worked on a few systems that used enterprise-level messaging and I thought I had a good handle on the space but I picked up the book anyway just to deepen my knowledge. I am really glad that I did. It is very apparent that the authors have been involved in a variety of integrations and have managed to convert their experience into patterns. The book does a good job of balancing ...more
Patryk
A very thorough compedium of integration patterns with a focus on messaging integration style. It is written in a very clear way, covering a wide spectrum of approaches oneself can face while pondering integration project within IT organization based on messaging. A must read for anyone who works with EAI, ESB, SOA platforms and consider to connect various systems and software products.

It covers 65 integration patterns and it introduces an iconic pattern language often called "GregorGrams". Eac
Tom
I was debating whether to give this three or four stars and decided that it was a solid three. The book is well-written and very thorough (over 600 pages of content), but I do wish it had some more concrete examples with supporting code. Some of the patterns built on other patterns or were permutations of other patterns in the book, which got me wondering whether a solid understanding of the underlying principles in the Gang of Four book is the extent of the pattern knowledge you need, and this ...more
Alexis Rodriguez
Uno de los mejores libros que leí. Deberia ser parte obligada de la formación de todo ingeniero de sistemas.
Lo he leido 2 o 3 veces y cada vez que estoy frente a un problema de diseño, lo releo y termino encontrando algún tipo de guía que me permite resolver el problema.
500% recomendado!!!
Anatoliy Kaverin
This is a classic but still relevant work on messaging systems.
Helped me a lot during study of Spring integration framework which uses vocabulary and patterns from the book.
Very good reading even if you plan to work with such messaging solutions like Actors.
Arturo Moreno
The best (and only?) book about integration patterns. Most of the patterns are related to messaging, but it's clear that they could be applied in other contexts as well.

A must read if you work on integration projects or messaging in general.
Konstantinos
Good read. Disappointed somehow by the lack of patterns in relation to workflows and business logic when it comes to messaging. I would say that 80% of the book is things that probably you won't have to implement yourself nowadays unless you build your own enterprise messaging bus.

I enjoyed learning about the patterns which are applicable to business processes such as the 'process manager', the 'aggregator', the 'routing slip' and 'scatter-gather'.
Phil Wilkins
This is the definitive reference book for integration patterns. If you're integrating systems through messaging, ESBs or any other form of middleware it is a must have book.
Evan Hoff
This book serves two purposes: first, if you've never been introduced to messaging-based systems, it's a paradigm changer. Secondly, it serves as a great reference book for building messaging-based systems. This is another book I wish more developers had taken a look at.
Steve
While many of these techniques are billed as being for gluing together heterogeneous "enterprise" systems, I actually find the patterns described as being essential to building any large distributed system.
Maksim
I wish if I could read this book 10 years ago!
Olegas
Contains a set of widely spread, commonly used patterns. A lot of solutions for middleware projects. Highly recommended for architects.
Eric
My only introduction to managing really complex systems, but, man, I could not imagine a clearer book. Three cheers for Gregor!
John George
Excellent book a good introduction to messaging in general for all beginners and professionals...
Dave Peticolas
The Big Book of Enterprise Messaging.
Vito
This is a keeper!

Jon
Jon marked it as to-read
Feb 28, 2015
Pascal Fux
Pascal Fux marked it as to-read
Feb 28, 2015
Kristof Coomans
Kristof Coomans marked it as to-read
Feb 27, 2015
Yuriy Plysyuk
Yuriy Plysyuk marked it as to-read
Feb 27, 2015
Miêu Tặc
Miêu Tặc marked it as to-read
Feb 26, 2015
Dominic White
Dominic White marked it as to-read
Feb 25, 2015
Diego Venancio
Diego Venancio marked it as to-read
Feb 24, 2015
Jacek Królikowski
Jacek Królikowski marked it as to-read
Feb 23, 2015
  • Patterns of Enterprise Application Architecture
  • Refactoring to Patterns
  • Domain-Driven Design: Tackling Complexity in the Heart of Software
  • Xunit Test Patterns: Refactoring Test Code
  • Continuous Delivery: Reliable Software Releases Through Build, Test, and Deployment Automation
  • Agile Software Development, Principles, Patterns, and Practices
  • Growing Object-Oriented Software, Guided by Tests
  • Working Effectively with Legacy Code
  • Java Concurrency in Practice
  • REST in Practice: Hypermedia and Systems Architecture
  • Extreme Programming Explained: Embrace Change (The XP Series)
  • 97 Things Every Software Architect Should Know: Collective Wisdom from the Experts
  • Implementing Domain-Driven Design
  • Spring in Action
  • Applying UML and Patterns: An Introduction to Object-Oriented Analysis and Design and Iterative Development
  • User Stories Applied: For Agile Software Development
  • Service Design Patterns: Fundamental Design Solutions for SOAP/WSDL and RESTful Web Services

Goodreads is hiring!

If you like books and love to build cool products, we may be looking for you.
Learn more »