Start by marking “Life on Mars: Tales from the New Frontier” as Want to Read:
Life on Mars: Tales from the New Frontier

Life on Mars: Tales from the New Frontier

Mars! The Red Planet! For generations, people have wondered what it would be like to travel to and live there. That curiosity has inspired some of the most durable science fiction, including Ray Bradbury's The Martian Chronicles and the work of Isaac Asimov. Now the award-winning anthologist Jonathan Strahan has brought together thirteen original stories to explore the pos ...more
Published April 14th 2011 by Viking Books for Young Readers

To ask other readers questions about Life on Mars, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Life on Mars

Dawn
Apr 08, 2012 Dawn added it
Dawn States

Science Fiction

Life on Mars…what would it be like? The book of short stories by the same title explores this option in a myriad of ways, from colonizing the red planet, to travel between earth and Mars, to living on Mars as an accepted way of life. Each short story is a well-written and contained plot that has a connecting theme with the other stories with Mars being the connection. Some stories are about racial differences, some are love stories, and some are about the courage to ho
Sara
Apr 30, 2012 Sara rated it really liked it
As is always the case with short story collections, some of these are more memorable than others, with Rachel Swirsky and Cory Doctorow's standing out for me among the rest. This was shelved with the "YA" tag in my library, but in spite of the younger protagonists in most of these stories, I can bet that most adults would enjoy them as well.

I hope kids are reading this stuff, however, and dreaming of Mars. Since this current generation has really sucked up the areas of space flight and explorati
Marius
Jun 18, 2016 Marius rated it did not like it
Good intro, stories suck though
MB Taylor
Oct 28, 2012 MB Taylor rated it liked it
I finished reading Life on Mars this morning. It’s a collection of SF short stories set on Mars after we’ve started putting people on it; either as tourists or immigrants. (Interestingly the publisher is Viking; a name significant in the recent history Mars.) I enjoyed all the stories, which is frequently not the case in anthologies, especially multiple author anthologies. For some reason I’ve been picking up quite a few SF books on Mars lately. Not sure if there are more available recently, or ...more
Constance
Feb 19, 2011 Constance rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: short story fans and SF fans
Recommended to Constance by: Book review for viking
Let’s go to Mars. The timing for this anthology couldn’t be better. The fascination with Mars endures and it was prudent of Strahan to see that especially now the interest grows. This exquisite collection will electrify your short story collection. Life on Mars is a follow-up anthology to Strahan’s The Starry Rift (published in 2008). Life on Mars: Tales from the New Frontier is a science fiction anthology that takes as its leaping off point that we do go to Mars. In some stories, we have been o ...more
Katherine
This short story collection contains 12 works from contemporary science fiction writers. The protagonists of the stories range in age from 12 to mid-forties. These stories are varied in their themes and language (some with profanity) so it is difficult to give appropriate age range. I would like to say that the only common denominator is that they are all about the colonization of Mars at different stages of development, and that the authors use the same Martian topography and scientific details ...more
Eowyn
Mar 11, 2014 Eowyn rated it really liked it
I picked this up because it was in the young teen section at the library and I wondered if Samuel would like it. A lot of authors I really enjoy are in here plus some new to me and overall, it's a good collection. Many of the protagonists are kids or teenagers but I don't think Samuel would enjoy it yet. I'd recommend it for late middle school/high school.
Julia
Ah, sweet traditional science ficiton that is NOT a dystopia (I'm getting very tired of that subset of the genre) - how I've missed you!

This was a nice collection of short stories that captured the possibilities of a Mars colonized. The scope was generally pretty similar in each story. Most imagined what life might be like for those who colonized Mars. There were a few unique stand outs (the first one, Cory Doctorow's, the one with genetic engineering, & the tale of the old man recounting hi
Cheryl
Sep 08, 2014 Cheryl rated it really liked it
Shelves: science-fiction, mars
A strong compilation of short stories, though some weren't so much to my taste. Of them, I really loved "Goodnight Moons" and "The Taste of Promises," which built plots around the issues of human adaptation to the Martian environment.
Awallens
Jan 08, 2016 Awallens rated it really liked it
I would've given this book 4.5 stars if given the option. Most of the stories in this anthology were wonderful. Only one that I really didn't understand or get it. And a few new authors to check out for sure. That's what I call a good reading experience.
Mitchell
Oct 08, 2014 Mitchell rated it really liked it
Shelves: sci-fi
I wasn't aware, when I checked the book out, that this was a collection of stories targeted at young adults. Nevertheless, the vast majority of the stories were quite good, and several were innovative.
Fırat Kozan
It is a good book that tells about how the life on Mars would be if we developed enought technology to terraform enough territory on Mars
Wesley Miller
Sep 26, 2016 Wesley Miller rated it liked it
Good collection of stories about Mars. Some are a little worse than others, but this is still a good read. I'd give it a 3.5 out of 5. My favorite was definitely Martian Heart.
Cassandra Kay Silva
Apr 13, 2016 Cassandra Kay Silva rated it liked it
Shelves: sci-fi
As with all anthologies I loved some of these stories and hated others. It was still a fun read.
Kelly
Jun 29, 2016 Kelly rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2016
Read for "Wahala" by Nnedi Okorafor
Alison James
couldn't get through it. it wasn't interesting.
John
May 19, 2011 John rated it really liked it
Shelves: sf-fantasy
Above average collection, all juveniles. The contributions from Kage Baker, Nnedi Okorafer, Ellen Klages and John Barnes I found outstanding (the Barnes isn't really a Mars story, so much as a pioneer love story that happens to be set there). Cory Doctorow's tale was OK, but as usual with his stuff I felt bludgeoned, I couldn't get through Ian McDonald's story, and the Kim Stanley Robinson was, I dunno, phoned in. The rest were at least OK too, competently thought out and readable.
Jessica
Sep 09, 2015 Jessica rated it it was ok
Just OK. I liked "Wahala" by Nnedi Okorafor and "The Taste of Promises" by Rachel Swirsky the best.
Phoebe
Oct 12, 2011 Phoebe rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Lisa and Frank, Nanci B.
First class science fiction writers lend their considerable talent to this volume of wildly differing tales about going to and living on Mars. Each story is captivatingly imaginative. Kage Baker opens the fun with a story about a girl acting on a dare from her friends, and making an astonishing discovery and conquering her fear at the same time. Readers won't look back after this. For older teens and adults.
Rachel
Feb 21, 2012 Rachel rated it it was amazing
I really enjoyed this collection. It was varied both in link and subject matter, yet the stories seemed to flow smoothly from one to the next. I never felt that I was looking at multiple Mars; rather, I was immersed in the same Mars during different time periods. I higly recommend this for any avid science fiction fan!
Katharine (Ventureadlaxre)
Katharine is a judge for the Aurealis Awards. This review is the personal opinion of Katharine herself, and does not necessarily reflect the opinion of any judging panel, the judging coordinator or the Aurealis Awards management team.

To be safe, I won't be recording my review here until after the AA are over.
Mary
Jan 07, 2014 Mary rated it really liked it
A collection of short stories that look at the possibilies and problems of life on Mars. Very enjoyable.
Megan
May 06, 2012 Megan rated it really liked it
A couple of the stories in here were really great - I especially liked the ones by Ellen Klages, Kage Baker, and Cory Doctorow. Even the ones that didn't really grab me were pretty good, just not my taste. Overall I found this to be an enjoyable, thought-provoking, and worthwhile anthology.
Rachel
Aug 20, 2012 Rachel rated it liked it
It's an anthology of short stories set on established Martial colonies. A good conceit for a book, and some of the stories were excellent. It only gets three stars because some of the stories were only okay, and Cory Doctorow's story would not stop lecturing me in a teeth-grind way.
Cherie
Jun 26, 2013 Cherie rated it liked it
I found this in the adult section of my library. I think it was intended for young adults. Most of the characters in the stories were young people. It was still a pretty good collection
Devon
Jun 15, 2012 Devon rated it liked it
Shelves: sci-fiction
My favorites:
The Old Man and the Martian Sea (Alastair Reynolds)
Martian Chronicles (Cory Doctorow)
Digging (Ian McDonald)
Jesus Diaz
Sep 16, 2012 Jesus Diaz rated it really liked it
well this book has opened my eyes. these short stories peaked my interest in other authors that i may later check out.
Ann
I might have missed a story or two in this one, but I read most of them. I especially liked Cory Doctorow's story.
Keely
Aug 13, 2011 Keely rated it it was amazing
Fantastic! Read my addition to the anthology at http://keelyanndone.livejournal.com/1...
  • Firebirds Soaring: An Anthology of Original Speculative Fiction
  • The Year's Best Science Fiction and Fantasy, 2011 Edition
  • Fast Ships, Black Sails
  • Nano Comes to Clifford Falls: And Other Stories
  • With A Little Help
  • The Apex Book of World SF 2 (Apex Book of World SF #2)
  • Flights: Extreme Visions of Fantasy