Start by marking “UML Distilled: Applying the Standard Object Modeling Language” as Want to Read:
UML Distilled: Applying the Standard Object Modeling Language

UML Distilled: Applying the Standard Object Modeling Language (Addison-Wesley Object Technology Series)

3.76  ·  Rating Details ·  1,014 Ratings  ·  46 Reviews
This work on UML - created by OO technology experts, Booch, Rumbaugh and Jacobson - offers detailed and practical guidance to the UML notation in the context of real world software development.The book also offers useful summaries of UML notation on the back and the front covers.
Published June 1st 1997 by Addison Wesley Publishing Company (first published 1997)

To ask other readers questions about UML Distilled, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about UML Distilled

Jan 06, 2015 Eric rated it it was amazing
Using UML for "sketching" really resonates with me.
It's nice when someone famous tells you it's ok to keep doing what you are doing.
Fowler's treatment of the various diagrams are for and how to apply them is great and concise.
A must read.
Steve Whiting
This is a fairly short (160 page) gallop through UML2. It's short and to the point, and mostly this gets across the gist of what you need to know. There are times where it strays a bit too far into terseness, and some of the text really needs to be broken up with specific examples closer to the descriptions. Particularly, the text sometimes ploughs on with some quite dense descriptions and no visual example, or has a reference to a diagram several pages away, neither of which make for easy readi ...more
Roshan Titus
Apr 15, 2015 Roshan Titus rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Got a copy of the 3rd edition which focus on UML 2.0 version and read it completely! The book is excellently written, concise in a manner which provides lot of valuable information in short words. Along with clarifying various subtle differences in UML elements and concepts, author also gives useful insights to realizing/implementing these in programming languages(eg: Page 111 discusses 3 ways to realize state diagrams including state pattern). Also author discuss various related Object oriented ...more
Scott Fabel
As a Business Analyst, and as a Professor of Business Analysis, I am frequently reading books about business analysis tools and techniques. I am very interested in using more UML in my work, so I thought that this would be a good book for me to read. Unfortunately, I didn't think that this book was all that great--at least not for a business analyst.

This book is probably far more useful to a systems designer or developer because most of the diagrams are described in terms of how they could be u
Anton Kan
Wouldn't recommend this book (at least in Russian translation which I was reading), regardless of the fact that it was written by the Great Martin Fowler. The narration is pretty unlinked and a newbie would hardly understand how to use UML 2.0 correctly. May be more useful as a reference to those who just migrate from UML 1.x to UML 2.0.
Michael Mcdermott
A good overview of UML. UML does not seem to be a large benefit to the software development process in itself, but its value stems from the value of modeling ideas on paper before sinking time into coding. Some of the techniques in this book are good to know about to help you think about your software and how your programs interact with other components of your system. UML formalizes the annotation, which is nice, but I think the thought process that goes into the diagrams more valuable. There a ...more
Said A
Feb 02, 2015 Said A rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: programming
Decent introduction to UML. But I would recommend to read "Chapter 5" from Booch's "Object-Oriented Analysis and Design with Applications" book. It gives more context.
I read this at a point late in my career as a business analyst when I felt that I had no need for UML. This convinced me to anyway, and productively so. It was a great help.
David VanderWyst
Sep 27, 2016 David VanderWyst rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I purchased another modeling book and found it to be too advanced so I decided to hunt down A more introductory one. This book turned out to be a fantastic introduction to the various models, with solid examples on how to use them.

The author seemed interesting to read, and held my attention throughout. This won't be the last UML book I pick up, but I'm glad I took the time to go through it. It is another one that will be around as a reference for a while.
Aleksey Timin
Jan 20, 2015 Aleksey Timin rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Неплохая книга, чтобы начать пользоваться UML на практике. Также информация по методологиям может стать отличной отправной точкой для дальнейшего их изучения.
Vivek Kumar
Jun 06, 2016 Vivek Kumar is currently reading it  ·  review of another edition
I started reading this book again. Its always good to read it after some time. I always find something new eachtime I read it.
Mar 04, 2016 Mahdi rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
if you are looking for a general understanding of every UML diagram , this book is really a nice one.
brief and helpful !
This is required reading for any technology enthusiast. The meta-language of UML is in the air, know what you breath.
Jan 09, 2015 Gwenael rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Read long ago, read the 2nd Edition then the 3rd
Amad Ud-Din
Apr 22, 2016 Amad Ud-Din is currently reading it  ·  review of another edition
Jan 16, 2008 Rob rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: technical
So far, I am enjoying this book quite a bit (as much as a technical book can be enjoyed). It opts for brevity and serves as a highlight of the most useful UML practices instead of exhaustively describing the UML spec in detail. If you need the full gory details of UML, use another book, but if you want the "real" story of how UML is really used and get a good overview and feel - this is the book to use...
Jon Gauthier
Jan 29, 2013 Jon Gauthier marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: programming, java, oop
I've always been a bit uneasy about UML—it seems to me a sort of hallmark of that über-strict, institutionalized OOP that I feel the need to avoid. The table of contents (available on Amazon) makes me think that some of these strategies might actually be useful, though. Maybe worth a skim, at least.
Caroline Gordon
Apr 12, 2015 Caroline Gordon rated it really liked it
I figured I should remind myself of all the things UML is so I at least know what I don't know about it. It would be fun to apply this now and this book is a great guide to get you there as quickly as possible. A really practical accessible book.
Ettore Pasquini
Meh. I never understood the good in UML when I was in school, and I still don't get it 15 years later. This book is decent I guess, but I think there are more interesting subjects one should spend his/her time on.
Jan 24, 2016 Tsvetomir rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: tech
If you want to gain practical knowledge about UML - this is the first book you should read. The author sticks to the important parts, that you will likely see in the real world and the book is easy to read.
May 04, 2010 Murray rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: programming
Concise explanation of Unified Modeling Language, but limited to that. Easy to follow and concise. Would need to look at other books for more detail of concepts UML is representing.
TK Keanini
Apr 07, 2007 TK Keanini rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: software developers
I'm still looking for a good book on UML. This was a good book but there are still holes in my knowledge on the subject. I can't think in UML yet. Maybe I just need more flight time.
Дмитрий Лобанов
Wow, great book!

It covers all details of oop thinking from common concept of 'what and how' to specifications and class diagrams.

Must read it twice. Or power of 2 times.
Matteo Tomasulo
Apr 10, 2016 Matteo Tomasulo rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: oop
A very useful book on how to use UML efficiently without to be to match strict on the standards.
Interesting the introduction on the different development production cycle.
Jan 30, 2016 Dmitry rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
It is definitely "must read" book for every software developer and related people. Small and concise, wish rest of books to be like this one.
Jeff Foster
Sep 06, 2013 Jeff Foster rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A quick reference to just enough UML to be useful and (thankfully) not enough to be a fully qualified architecture astronaut.
Christian Rondeau
May 12, 2010 Christian Rondeau rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: software
The only book you need to read about UML (I'm certified UML but the knowledge in this book solves 99% of my needs)
Jul 08, 2007 Scott rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book is one referenced for getting an understanding of UML. This is one that is on my shelf as a reference.
Apr 23, 2015 Wangyiran is currently reading it
i want to read chapter 3,4,6,and some part of chapter 2 about agile,chapter 5 about interface and abstract.
  • Writing Effective Use Cases
  • Applying UML and Patterns: An Introduction to Object-Oriented Analysis and Design and Iterative Development
  • The Unified Modeling Language User Guide
  • Object-Oriented Software Construction (Book/CD-ROM)
  • Software Project Survival Guide
  • Debugging the Development Process: Practical Strategies for Staying Focused, Hitting Ship Dates, and Building Solid Teams
  • Core J2EE Patterns: Best Practices and Design Strategies
  • Software Requirements: Practical Techniques for Gathering and Managing Requirements Throughout the Product Development Cycle
  • Refactoring to Patterns
  • Planning Extreme Programming
  • Design Patterns: Elements of Reusable Object-Oriented Software
  • Antipatterns: Refactoring Software, Architectures, and Projects in Crisis
  • Software Architecture in Practice
  • Java in a Nutshell
  • Dynamics of Software Development
  • The Best Software Writing I
  • Enterprise Integration Patterns: Designing, Building, and Deploying Messaging Solutions
  • User Stories Applied: For Agile Software Development

Goodreads is hiring!

If you like books and love to build cool products, we may be looking for you.
Learn more »
Martin Fowler (b. 1963) is a software engineer, Chief Scientist at ThoughtWorks, and an outspoken advocate for best practices in enterprise software design, particularly in regard to agile software development methodologies, including extreme programming.
More about Martin Fowler...

Addison-Wesley Object Technology Series (1 - 10 of 39 books)
  • Managing Software Requirements: A Use Case Approach (Addison-Wesley Object Technology Series)
  • ATL Internals: Working with ATL 8
  • Adopting the Rational Unified Process: Success with the RUP
  • Agility and Discipline Made Easy: Practices from OpenUP and RUP
  • Applying Use Case Driven Object Modeling with UML: An Annotated E-Commerce Example
  • The Art of Clearcase Deployment: The Secrets to Successful Implementation
  • The Art of Objects: Object-Oriented Design and Architecture
  • Aspect-Oriented Software Development with Use Cases
  • Building J2ee Applications with the Rational Unified Process
  • Building Web Applications with UML

“If someone were to come up to you in a dark alley and say, "Psst, wanna see a UML diagram?" that
diagram would probably be a class diagram.”
“[ interaction diagrams], comprehensiveness is the enemy of comprehensibility.” 0 likes