Start by marking “In the Garden with Dr. Carver” as Want to Read:
In the Garden with Dr. Carver

In the Garden with Dr. Carver

Sally is a young girl living in rural Alabama in the early 1900s, a time when people were struggling to grow food in soil that had been depleted by years of cotton production. One day, Dr. George Washington Carver shows up to help the grownups with their farms and the children with their school garden.
He teaches them how to restore the soil and respect the balance of natu
Published September 1st 2010 by Albert Whitman & Company

To ask other readers questions about In the Garden with Dr. Carver, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about In the Garden with Dr. Carver

Lisa Vegan
May 15, 2011 Lisa Vegan rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: learning about gardening & ecology & history & education & George Washington Carver
I love love love this book! I happened to see it on the library shelf and its title and cover illustration appealed to me so I borrowed it, and I’m so glad that I did.

It’s historical fiction, so it’s hard to know how accurate some of the specific account is, but there is a good succinct author’s note at the end that does give some information about George Washington Carver, including his movable school.

First of all, the book grabbed me from the very beginning when I saw the inside front cover:
Megumi Shavers
Apr 10, 2012 Megumi Shavers rated it it was amazing

This book is a historical fiction for the age group of I and older. The author won the 2011 Growing Good Kids-Excellence in Children's Literature Award and an award for 2011 Notable Social Studies Trade Book for Young People. This book is about a young girl named Sally who lives in Alabama in the early 1900s. Dr. George Washington Carver comes to her town to help the people in her town how to manage their farms and also helps her school's garden. He teaches them how to grow plants and reap the r
Oct 16, 2014 Mary rated it really liked it
Children will enjoy going back in time to early 1900s in rural Alabama as they learn more about African American scientist George Washington Carver in the book In the Garden With Dr. Carver by Susan Grigsby. As Sally leaves church, she sees a man in a wagon. This was no ordinary wagon but an educational wagon ran by a man with most unusual ideas about gardening.

Since the area had been used to grow cotton for many years, nutrients in the soil were stripped away. As a result, people found it diff
Somewhere around 3-1/2 stars for this. It's so very hard for me to rate books like this. It's very good for what it is but I think the goal was to fulfill the authors intention in something as short as possible. It's hard for me to gauge what more effort could have brought to it considering the apparent intended audience age group. I didn't have any real trouble rounding up though.

Oh, and I almost forgot one of the best things about the book. The art. The expressiveness in the faces of the chara
Becky Birtha
In the Garden with Dr. Carver is a delightful fictional-biographical sketch of George Washington Carver, presenting "the famous plant scientist from the big school in Tuskegee" as a character that children can easily relate to. As young Sally describes Dr. Carver's visit to her school, Susan Grigsby skillfully and seamlessly includes factual information. Nicole Tadgell's watercolor paintings add cheerfulness and humor. The artist's end pages, with detailed natural drawings of plants and living c ...more
Harvest McCampbell
May 25, 2016 Harvest McCampbell rated it it was amazing
"That spider is helping your garden," explained Dr. Carver, "by eating up the creatures that want to eat your plants. Before you change or destroy something, you need to understand why it exists and its relationship with the rest of nature. The plants, the soil, and the animals that visit are all connected, just like a web."

This is Growing Together Community Gardens' youth curriculum pick for the first half of June. Children of all ages will enjoy the story, and if starting a garden or spending
May 29, 2012 Kelly rated it really liked it
In the Garden with Dr. Carver is a great picture book for any reader--young and old alike--who wants to know more about the brilliant George Washington Carver and how to be truly "green."

Although this book is a work of historical fiction, the substance of the book is based on the actual life and teachings of Dr. Carver. He really did spend time traveling around the South teaching others how to "listen to the plants" and use the natural resources around them to live. He educated others on how to
My Book Addiction and More MBA
IN THE GARDEN WITH DR. CARVER by Susan Grigsby,pictures by Nicole Tadgell is a fascinating Children's book/Educational. Well written,with engaging characters,beautiful pictures and a great teaching tool for young readers. Easy to follow and a great read for grade levels Kindergarten - 3rd grade. This author has placed an interesting take on the African American Scientist,Dr. Carver, we all learned about in school,plus she has added much insight and strength into his story. A must read for not on ...more
In the Garden with Dr. Carver is the fictionalized account of George Washington Carver and his traveling educational wagon. His love of plants, science, and ecology came through while teaching the kids how plants grow and flourish by using the right soil and conditions.

The children became excited to plant their garden knowing they had the tools they needed to be successful. They especially heeded Dr. Carver's wise words, "Listen to the plants, and they'll tell you what they need".
Feb 09, 2012 Robert rated it liked it
Recommended to Robert by: Michelle Fralinger
This is a cute story about George Washington Carver visiting a school with his mobile classroom. Once there, he taught them all about growing plants. He showed them how to take a previously-thought unusable land and cultivate it. While fiction, this book presents how Carver worked and what he did. I learned from reading this.

I found the illustrations complementary to the text.

Listen to the plants, and they'll tell you what you need.

Mar 19, 2011 Michelle rated it it was amazing
This is a great historical fiction picture book highlighting Dr. Carver's mobile classroom. We could use his kind of earthy knowledge today in our highly processed world! Thank you Susan Grigsby for making this an easily read book to share with children and to Nicole Tadgell for such beautiful illustrations, especially the end papers!
I knew a little bit about Dr. Carver's experimentation and work with plants, but didn't know about this aspect. He would go out on weekends and help farmers and other people. He shared with them how they could revive the soil and how to recycle and reuse materials. He shared his knowledge, his time, and his passion for plants.
Joan Oegema
Jan 14, 2011 Joan Oegema rated it it was amazing
Very informative historical fiction book about a few details in the life of George Washington Carver. I was a tiny bit disappointed that the author did not include recipes or instructions for any of the ideas presented in the book but the topics covered certainly may spark some kids interested to do a little research.
Mar 08, 2012 David rated it it was amazing
So I wasn't all that wowed by the illustrations...but I loved the story and its content. Besides being an excellent book to introduce young people to Dr. George Washington Carver and his achievements, the book will also provide interesting facts about plant life and practical uses of various flowers, weeds, and foods.
Dec 31, 2011 Christina rated it liked it
Shelves: picturebooks
Nice picture book, fictionalized, of Dr. George Washington Carver's work with a school to help them start and cultivate a garden, learning about plants and how to raise healthy food and care for the land. It's set in the historic time period but reads very contemporary, as many schools do this today.
Apr 02, 2011 Kristen rated it really liked it
A great book for Nature Smart kids! This is really good historical fiction. Dr. George Washington Carver visits an Alabama school and gets students involved in learning about growing food. Even for garden-illiterates like me, this was an interesting read!
Elisabeth W.  Rauch
I thought this book would be about peanuts! Silly me. This book talked about the work of George Washington Carver in educating people on how to grow their own food and improve soil with compost. The story is told from the point of view of a child who gets to spend a day learning from him.
loved this book in our book fair. great illustrations. Dr. Carver stops at a school and helps the students improve their school garden with hands-on lessons about composting, weeds, shade vs. sun, and more.
Sep 25, 2010 Nance added it
A book about history, learning and scientific observation. The story of Dr. Carver and what can be learned about gardening and the world around us is beautifully illustrated. Certainly a picture book for older readers as there is a lot of text.
Ashlie Johansen
Historical fiction that wasn't too boring. My Preschooler was actually into it. And this morning she when she was outside "listening to the plants" I knew where that idea had come from. Thank you, Dr. Carver.
Jul 26, 2016 Lori rated it really liked it
I love that Dr. Carver had enough passion for his subject of study and educating others to create a mobile classroom. Well ahead of his time in so many ways.
Candace Carr
I would read this book to students to show them about an African American scientist during the early history.
May 21, 2012 Paula rated it really liked it
Shelves: pic
A historical fiction book based on the history of Dr. George Washington Carver. Illustrations by Nicole Tadgell are nicely done with identifications of plants, insects and other garden finds.
Feb 08, 2013 Barbara rated it it was amazing
Beautiful picture book of Dr. George Washington Carver and how he helped poor farmers improve their soil and farming methods.
Oct 29, 2011 Emily rated it really liked it
Rather enjoyed it much more than I thought I would. Great presentation of information, good perspective, nice illustrations.
May 26, 2016 Shelley rated it really liked it
Shelves: biography, age-4, nature
A cute and simple inspiring story to introduce the work of Dr. Carver and how he helped children learn the importance of making the soil healthy and eating healthy food from the garden.
Mrs.Melaugh Melaugh
Mrs.Melaugh Melaugh rated it really liked it
Dec 07, 2012
Sarah rated it liked it
Feb 09, 2012
Hanna Morgan
Hanna Morgan rated it liked it
Apr 12, 2011
Laura Molinario
Laura Molinario rated it really liked it
Nov 08, 2013
« previous 1 3 next »
2015 Reading Chal...: In The Garden with Dr. Carver by Susan Grigsby 1 5 Jul 25, 2015 09:21PM