Blank-133x176
A Slender Thread

Tracie Peterson

A Slender Thread

3.66 of 5 stars 3.66  ·  rating details  ·  169 ratings  ·  15 reviews
A dramatic family saga about five estranged sisters reunited after the death of a mother they barely knew. Each is linked by their love for the grandmother who raised them, but will that bond be strong enough?
Kindle Edition
Published (first published May 1st 2000)

To ask other readers questions about A Slender Thread, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about A Slender Thread

Mickey
After reading a Garrison Keillor humorous book, then a Jeff Shaara tome on the Civil War, I was ready for something a little more spiritual. I had seen books by Peterson advertised in "The Lutheran" magazine and had wanted to try one. I was really disappointed in this book. I thought it read like an assignment for an English class. Five sisters, raised by their grandmother, who were always bickering caused the grandmother to moan "Oh Lord, they're so lost." Come on! I have four daughters and the...more
F
Overall, after reading every word of the book, I was not impressed. The plot was very predictable and weak. I do hope, though, as a grandmother I am the pillar of strength that Mattie Mitchell portrayed in the book. My favorite passage of the book is in Chapter 35 when Ashley recalls one of her grandmother’s pearls of wisdom: “Houses do not make homes -- people do. Possessions are irrelevant in matters of the heart, and that love grows anywhere so long as it finds fertile, willing soil.” My leas...more
Margaret
This was a very dramatic book, maybe it was because I was hearing in with certain emphasis rather than reading my own thoughts into it, but this was a stressful book. There were several deaths throughout the book, and heart breaks, and lies, and betrayal. Almost everything that can go wrong did in one of the five sister's lives and then they had to struggle to go on. True it ends in a relative forgiveness, but rather abruptly when there were some 40-odd chapters of pure pain and torture. I love...more
Lilbookworm
I would have enjoyed this book more if it was not so "God heavy" in places.
L
This novel was a bit unusual for Peterson, as I ordinarily think of her for historical fiction. The plot for this book is a mother who abandons her five children as each are born to be raised by her mother Mattie, who is a saint (not literally, but as close as a human can get on earth). Each daughter's life is detailed based on how the abandonment affected her. I found it to be a little slow to read, but glad I stayed with it, as the ending was wonderful.
Melissa Stoltz
It starts out really slow and wonder if you are going to like this book. But about half way or so it picks up and the characters start to grow on you and it gets really good. It`s a very good story about family coming together and forgiving one another and how a grandmother shows them the way. So if you can stick it out I think you will be happy how it all turns out.
Alexxus
A wonderful tale, a unique story line, and great characters. The plot twists were unpredictable and I enjoyed the shock. The only thing preventing me from giving this story a five-star rating is from the cheesiness of the quilting metaphors. But, it doesn't take anything away from the story itself, and I highly recommend it.
Cindy
Sep 08, 2007 Cindy rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Christian fiction fans
Shelves: fiction
I really enjoyed this book, although some of the story lines felt a little rushed in their conclusions. (maybe because she was planning a sequel?) I felt that Brooke's story was a little too short and the romance between Connie and her man (don't want to spoil anything!) was a little rushed too.
Ginnie
This was the worst book I have read by Peterson. Too wishy-washy. I think she should stick to historical fiction rather than contemporary. This review is rather harsh for me, but don't be mislead, Peterson is one of my favorite authors.
Sherrill
I read this while at Cozzetta's this past week. I think it was good, to show how siblings (five sisters) can get torn apart and how they could get back together thru the love of their grandmother and each other.
Alexandra
In my humble opinion, what a waste of a potentially very good story line! How redundant can one get? Not an author that I'll follow...
Five sisters learn to appreciate and find strength in God and each other as they leave the pain of abandonment behind.
Marsha
Jun 24, 2008 Marsha rated it 2 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Marsha by: Mariah
Five sisters raised by their grandmother go their separate ways and are reunited again
Christie
I read this book several years ago but from what I remember it as a good read
Kaleigh
Kaleigh marked it as to-read
Aug 27, 2014
Rita
Rita marked it as to-read
Aug 16, 2014
Sharon Piper
Sharon Piper marked it as to-read
Jul 29, 2014
Oksana Gantukh
Oksana Gantukh marked it as to-read
Jul 15, 2014
Stephanie Sturtevant
Stephanie Sturtevant marked it as to-read
Jul 10, 2014
♥Robin ♥
♥Robin ♥ marked it as to-read
Jul 07, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 next »
Tracie Peterson is a bestselling author who writes in both historical and contemporary genres. Her novels reveal her love for research as well as her strong desire to develop emotionally meaningful characters and stories for her readers. Tracie and her family live in Montana.

pen name: Janelle Jamison
More about Tracie Peterson...
A Lady of High Regard (Ladies of Liberty, #1) A Daughter's Inheritance (The Broadmoor Legacy, #1) Land of My Heart (Heirs of Montana, #1) Dawn's Prelude (Song of Alaska, #1) Embers of Love (Striking a Match, #1)