The Bottom Feeders and Other Stories

The Bottom Feeders and Other Stories

3.64 of 5 stars 3.64  ·  rating details  ·  28 ratings  ·  7 reviews
A collection of ten dark stories from Horror Writers Association member Aaron Polson. Witness hotels with shifting rooms...carnivorous beetles bent on devouring a sleepy mountain town...vindictive spirits with beautiful eyes...an undead Marine on his return from Iraq...a pond full of restless dead in the title story, and more.
Published April 2nd 2010 by Smashwords, Inc.

To ask other readers questions about The Bottom Feeders and Other Stories, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Bottom Feeders and Other Stories

Mary Rajotte
Loved it! Gave me creepy dreams throughout. Will be posting a full review at http://www.misswrite.net soon
-----------------------------
My Review:

The Bottom Feeders is a 14-story collection of dark and foreboding tales from author and teacher Aaron Polson.

You know those writers whose pen bewitches and enchants yet somehow it seems effortless? Aaron is one of those authors.

One of the things I like about Aaron’s writing is that on the surface, everything appears normal. It reminds me of those side-...more
Sam
Aug 27, 2011 Sam rated it 4 of 5 stars
Shelves: horror
These stories are so subtle and well written that it takes a moment or two for the little differences to really show themselves, building the tension and horror of the story so much better than the more usual approach of in your face horror. Each tale starts with an apparantly normalo situation, be it friends fishing at the side of a pond, a tramatised soldier returning from Iraq or a new species of beetle found in the forests of America. But as events progress the true horror of each situation...more
James W.  Harris
Powerful writing. Aaron Poison has a strong command of the effects of horror. He can make you uneasy, uncomfortable, creeped-out, or revolted. He creates strong vivid characters, conveys an atmosphere that lets you know something horrible is about to happen, and puts these characters in tremendously awful situations. His imagination in this collection of ten tales brings us zombie catfish, hideous killer bugs, creepy isolated towns with dreadful secrets, and other such horrors, one after another...more
Jeremy Brooks
Some good, creepy stories in this collection. Zombie fish kill, haunted pools taunt, and, my favorite of the collection, a bewitched man and his brother struggle to find balance between survival and doing what's right. This is a collection taken over years of Polson's career, the progression definitely shows growth as a writer.
Gef
Okay, full disclosure: I'm a reviewer with Aaron's Skull Salad Reviews, so let's just get that out of the way right now. Still, any online acquaintance we may have doesn't negate the fact that I've enjoyed his short fiction since discovering his blog a couple of years ago. I also bought this Kindle book--albeit for a sweet 99 cents if you're interested--so this wasn't swag.

In this collection, Aaron Polson brings together fourteen short stories with varying degrees of a dark sentiment. Some carry...more
Alex Laybourne
I have just finished this collection of short horror tales and must say they were exceptional. Each tale was different yet there were recurring characters and links through landmarks such as the creepy ass pond of death next to the cemetry.

I found this book by chance when I first got my Kindle and had no expectations when I opened it. All I can say is that Aaron Polson as acquired himself a new fan and I cannot wait to read more of his work.

That being said it is time to hit the bookshelves.

I...more
Tabitha
A solid piece of writing. Not one to miss! Polson is very good at creating an uncomfortable what's-around-the-next-corner feeling. And judging from this collection of stories, with him, it will ALWAYS be some sharp-toothed bad thing that can't die.
Example time! I especially liked the one involving the carnivorous beetles. there was a year during college that was cicada time, and even knowing what they were, it was unnerving to listen to and see. He captures that unnatural feeling and makes it bi...more
Hhkk Jui
Hhkk Jui marked it as to-read
Sep 13, 2014
Craig
Craig added it
Jun 25, 2014
Bob & Sherri
Bob & Sherri marked it as to-read
May 29, 2014
Sabrina Kidd
Sabrina Kidd marked it as to-read
Jan 18, 2014
Leighann Paige
Leighann Paige marked it as to-read
Oct 19, 2013
Paulette
Paulette marked it as to-read
Sep 22, 2013
Pete R.
Pete R. marked it as to-read
Sep 05, 2013
Angelica
Angelica marked it as to-read
Jun 07, 2013
April Infinite
April Infinite marked it as to-read
Apr 12, 2013
Thota
Thota added it
Feb 25, 2013
Xander
Xander added it
Feb 19, 2013
Jane Mitchell
Jane Mitchell marked it as to-read
Feb 05, 2013
Payal
Payal marked it as to-read
Jan 14, 2013
Joel Gomes
Joel Gomes marked it as to-read
Jan 04, 2013
« previous 1 3 next »
2095446
Aaron Polson currently lives in Lawrence, Kansas with his wife, two sons, and a tattooed rabbit. His stories have featured magic goldfish, monstrous beetles, and a book of lullabies for baby vampires. His work has seen print in Shock Totem, Blood Lite II, and Monstrous with several new stories forthcoming in Shimmer, Space and Time, and other publications. The Saints are Dead, a collection of weir...more
More about Aaron Polson...
We are the Monsters The House Eaters A Feast of Flesh Thirteen Shadows: Ghost Stories Tainted: Tales of Terror and the Supernatural