Start by marking “The Bottom Feeders and Other Stories” as Want to Read:
The Bottom Feeders and Other Stories

The Bottom Feeders and Other Stories

3.67  ·  Rating Details  ·  33 Ratings  ·  7 Reviews
A collection of ten dark stories from Horror Writers Association member Aaron Polson. Witness hotels with shifting rooms...carnivorous beetles bent on devouring a sleepy mountain town...vindictive spirits with beautiful eyes...an undead Marine on his return from Iraq...a pond full of restless dead in the title story, and more.
Nook, 0 pages
Published April 2nd 2010 by Smashwords, Inc.

To ask other readers questions about The Bottom Feeders and Other Stories, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Bottom Feeders and Other Stories

Mary Rajotte
Jan 07, 2011 Mary Rajotte rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Loved it! Gave me creepy dreams throughout. Will be posting a full review at http://www.misswrite.net soon
-----------------------------
My Review:

The Bottom Feeders is a 14-story collection of dark and foreboding tales from author and teacher Aaron Polson.

You know those writers whose pen bewitches and enchants yet somehow it seems effortless? Aaron is one of those authors.

One of the things I like about Aaron’s writing is that on the surface, everything appears normal. It reminds me of those side-
Sam
Aug 27, 2011 Sam rated it really liked it
Shelves: horror
These stories are so subtle and well written that it takes a moment or two for the little differences to really show themselves, building the tension and horror of the story so much better than the more usual approach of in your face horror. Each tale starts with an apparantly normalo situation, be it friends fishing at the side of a pond, a tramatised soldier returning from Iraq or a new species of beetle found in the forests of America. But as events progress the true horror of each situation ...more
James W.  Harris
Jun 27, 2011 James W. Harris rated it really liked it
Powerful writing. Aaron Poison has a strong command of the effects of horror. He can make you uneasy, uncomfortable, creeped-out, or revolted. He creates strong vivid characters, conveys an atmosphere that lets you know something horrible is about to happen, and puts these characters in tremendously awful situations. His imagination in this collection of ten tales brings us zombie catfish, hideous killer bugs, creepy isolated towns with dreadful secrets, and other such horrors, one after another ...more
Jeremy Brooks
Dec 19, 2010 Jeremy Brooks rated it it was amazing
Some good, creepy stories in this collection. Zombie fish kill, haunted pools taunt, and, my favorite of the collection, a bewitched man and his brother struggle to find balance between survival and doing what's right. This is a collection taken over years of Polson's career, the progression definitely shows growth as a writer.
Gef
Jan 30, 2011 Gef rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: short-stories
Okay, full disclosure: I'm a reviewer with Aaron's Skull Salad Reviews, so let's just get that out of the way right now. Still, any online acquaintance we may have doesn't negate the fact that I've enjoyed his short fiction since discovering his blog a couple of years ago. I also bought this Kindle book--albeit for a sweet 99 cents if you're interested--so this wasn't swag.

In this collection, Aaron Polson brings together fourteen short stories with varying degrees of a dark sentiment. Some carry
Alex Laybourne
Apr 27, 2011 Alex Laybourne rated it really liked it
I have just finished this collection of short horror tales and must say they were exceptional. Each tale was different yet there were recurring characters and links through landmarks such as the creepy ass pond of death next to the cemetry.

I found this book by chance when I first got my Kindle and had no expectations when I opened it. All I can say is that Aaron Polson as acquired himself a new fan and I cannot wait to read more of his work.

That being said it is time to hit the bookshelves.

I
Tabitha
Feb 18, 2012 Tabitha rated it liked it
A solid piece of writing. Not one to miss! Polson is very good at creating an uncomfortable what's-around-the-next-corner feeling. And judging from this collection of stories, with him, it will ALWAYS be some sharp-toothed bad thing that can't die.
Example time! I especially liked the one involving the carnivorous beetles. there was a year during college that was cicada time, and even knowing what they were, it was unnerving to listen to and see. He captures that unnatural feeling and makes it bi
Paul
Paul marked it as to-read
Jun 29, 2016
Efreak
Efreak marked it as to-read
Apr 03, 2016
Remy
Remy marked it as to-read
Mar 08, 2016
Cheekylala_kindle
Cheekylala_kindle rated it really liked it
Feb 25, 2016
M Sz
M Sz added it
Feb 03, 2016
Sofía Ortega
Sofía Ortega rated it it was amazing
Jan 29, 2016
Nospin
Nospin added it
Jan 21, 2016
Kajola
Kajola marked it as to-read
Jan 20, 2016
Beiza
Beiza added it
Jan 12, 2016
Jerry French
Jerry French rated it really liked it
Sep 26, 2015
Alexandra
Alexandra marked it as to-read
Sep 12, 2015
Estelle
Estelle marked it as to-read
Jun 18, 2015
Aaron Edgell
Aaron Edgell rated it really liked it
Feb 19, 2016
George Mac
George Mac rated it it was ok
May 15, 2015
Nika Won
Nika Won marked it as to-read
May 08, 2015
Spookdawg9
Spookdawg9 rated it liked it
Aug 31, 2015
Casanuevo
Casanuevo rated it really liked it
Apr 26, 2015
Colleen McGee
Colleen McGee marked it as to-read
Feb 06, 2015
Mark
Mark marked it as to-read
Dec 29, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 next »
2095446
Aaron Polson currently lives in Lawrence, Kansas with his wife, two sons, and a tattooed rabbit. His stories have featured magic goldfish, monstrous beetles, and a book of lullabies for baby vampires. His work has seen print in Shock Totem, Blood Lite II, and Monstrous with several new stories forthcoming in Shimmer, Space and Time, and other publications. The Saints are Dead, a collection of weir ...more
More about Aaron Polson...