Start by marking “Savage Son” as Want to Read:
Savage Son

Savage Son

A Horrific Execution. . .

It was a night of celebration for the Whitaker family. Their son Bart was graduating from college. But when Bart's brother Kevin opened the door to their house, a masked intruder shot him point blank. His mother took the next bullet, followed by Mr. Whitaker and Bart. Blood was everywhere, but somehow Bart and his father survived. . .

A Sordid Doub
Published June 1st 2010 by Pinnacle (first published May 5th 2010)

To ask other readers questions about Savage Son, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Savage Son

Lady♥Belleza★✰
Bart Whitaker had a problem, he had lied to his parents. They thought he was graduating from college, his father had bought him a place to live while he went to classes, his mother bought him a Rolex as a graduation gift. They were celebrating with a dinner at a fancy restaurant, so what was the big lie? Bart wasn’t graduating from college, he had spent his days playing playing video games and hanging out with his friends. He decided that instead of owning up to his parents about what he had don ...more
Sheryl Slot
Jun 13, 2013 Sheryl Slot rated it did not like it
The only reason I read this book is because my husband was the lead investigator. It was full of misinformation and inaccuracies. It seems the author used only court documents and didn't check basic facts or interview anyone involved. Very poorly done.
Kathy LeJeune
Jul 11, 2010 Kathy LeJeune rated it liked it
This is very disturbing... My kind of True Crime!
Chamie
Jan 26, 2017 Chamie rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: books-i-own
I liked the book, but I found 3 discrepancies in it.
Bee
Sep 27, 2016 Bee rated it did not like it
Very poorly researched and badly written book. Presented as a 'true crime' book but it is actually fiction. The author never bothered to interview anyone involved or do basic fact checking and he makes up conversations that he was never privy to.

Note that the wife of Marshall Slot (the police detective) has said below that it is very inaccurate. The author wanted his 'blood money' without doing anything to earn it. Which is what he accuses Whitaker of doing, ironically. A much better book is 'M
Lynda Kelly
Sep 30, 2012 Lynda Kelly rated it really liked it
Shelves: true-crime
This is a true crime book all about a spoiled little rich kid called Bart Whitaker who decided to murder his family for the insurance money. WHY he needed it I've no idea as his parents gave him anything he ever wanted all his life and spoilt him rotten. Inadvertently they bred a monster.
The book was very interesting and I really enjoyed it and despised this kid with a passion. He's now on Death Row and good riddance. Texas usually tend to execute theirs so fingers crossed they don't keep hangin
♥ Marlene♥
Nov 24, 2010 ♥ Marlene♥ rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Noreen
Sep 29, 2016 Noreen rated it really liked it
I saw a TV show about this crime case and was intrigued. It's the scary story of a grown, intelligent, handsome, adult son who decides to murder his family for the inheritance. Almost as scary is the fact that he convinced others to carry out the murders for him. This was the part that intrigued me the most. Why would anyone potentially destroy their own life to serve someone else in this horrific manner? This manipulative man and his story is about as creepy as you can get.
Helen
May 11, 2012 Helen rated it liked it
I haven't read much true crime so it is difficult for me to review. I read this book because I met Corey at a writers' conference and he was absolutely delightful. Often, when I read an author's acknowledgement section, I'm sorry that I wasted my time. However, with Savage Son, I wished I had read that section first because it shed light on the presentation of the story. I will definitely read more of Corey Mitchell's books.
Mandy
May 10, 2013 Mandy rated it liked it
Very intriguing story. Heart-wrenching to say the least. But, I didn't exactly like the author's style. The book was a bit choppy, as if he wrote an outline or jotted down things to say then pasted it all together without finding good connectors. Anyway, there's not a whole lot you can say otherwise about a true crime novel, as the story is what it is.
Kim
Jul 18, 2012 Kim rated it it was ok
Shelves: with-susan, nook
This was a terrible case of family murder, with a son hell-bent on destruction of his entire family. Hard to believe that "no one had any idea", since he really wasnt very discreet about his pans. Not to blame the victims, but I think there was a lot of clues in preceding years that were missed. Writing was ok.
Astrid
Mar 21, 2016 Astrid rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Good

I love stories that tell us a bit about the out there and happens to this kind of people. It is hard to know that people that have everything sometimes feel like they don't have anything.
SenoraG
Jan 08, 2011 SenoraG rated it it was amazing
Shelves: true-crime
Another great true crime. Full Review
Jade
Jade rated it really liked it
Aug 04, 2015
Mrs L Cooke
Mrs L Cooke rated it liked it
Feb 24, 2016
rebecca l griffin
rebecca l griffin rated it really liked it
Jan 14, 2016
Donna Hunt
Donna Hunt rated it liked it
Sep 20, 2012
Lynn Johnson
Lynn Johnson rated it it was amazing
Jan 12, 2016
Karylan Frazier
Karylan Frazier rated it it was amazing
Dec 07, 2012
Sue Davis
Sue Davis rated it liked it
Jun 16, 2016
Redskullduggery
Nov 22, 2015 Redskullduggery rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Fascinating story but so poorly written that it's unreadable.
Rachel Winters
Rachel Winters rated it liked it
Jun 25, 2015
Teresa
Teresa rated it it was ok
Aug 15, 2010
Tara Hogan
Tara Hogan rated it liked it
Aug 07, 2016
Casie
Casie rated it liked it
Jul 24, 2011
Nancy  L. Bryant
Nancy L. Bryant rated it really liked it
Sep 19, 2015
Michelle
Michelle rated it really liked it
Jun 25, 2011
Anna Ladlee
Anna Ladlee rated it it was amazing
Jan 15, 2014
Beth
Beth rated it really liked it
May 07, 2011
Sandy Kwiatkowski
Sandy Kwiatkowski rated it it was ok
Aug 02, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »
  • Cruel Death
  • No, Daddy, Don't!: A Father's Murderous Act of Revenge
  • Charles Manson Now
  • Burned Alive: A Shocking True Story of Betrayal, Kidnapping, and Murder
  • Bitter Almonds: The True Story of Mothers, Daughters, and the Seattle Cyanide Murders
  • Evil Beside Her
  • Empty Chairs
  • Satan Came to Eden: A Survivor's Account of the "Galapagos Affair"
  • A Need to Kill: The True-Crime Account of John Joubert, Nebraska's Most Notorious Serial Child Killer
  • Peace at the Edge of Uncertainty: Finding Beauty in Mystery, Reclaiming Truth From the Myth of Certainty
  • Too Pretty To Live: The Catfishing Murders of East Tennessee