Start by marking “Magick in Theory and Practice ” as Want to Read:
Magick in Theory and Practice

Magick in Theory and Practice

4.13  ·  Rating Details  ·  1,017 Ratings  ·  29 Reviews
1976 Reprint of 1929 Edition. Many consider this work by Crowley to be the foremost book on ceremonial magic written in the twentieth century. It was written especially for beginners as Part 3 of Book 4 (Liber ABA). The original was privately printed in 1929 after Crowley failed to find a publisher in London.
Published 1976 by Dover (first published 1929)

To ask other readers questions about Magick in Theory and Practice, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Magick in Theory and Practice

The Book of Occult by Simon W. ClarkThe Alchemist by Paulo CoelhoThe Infidel Soldiers by Jams N. RosesThis Changes Everything by Sally EmberThe Book of Lies by Aleister Crowley
Religion, Occultism, Mysticism, Metaphysical and New Age
9th out of 360 books — 315 voters
Lucifer's Angel by R.W.K. ClarkWitches Immortal by R.W.K. ClarkLucien's Reign by R.W.K. ClarkThe Secret Teachings of All Ages by Manly P. HallSorcerers' Dialogues by The Silver Elves
Occult
17th out of 84 books — 107 voters

More lists with this book...

Steve
Oct 04, 2008 Steve rated it it was ok
worshipping the devil shouldndt require this much reading.
Ben Pound
Feb 14, 2008 Ben Pound rated it liked it
I read this book in highschool and I swear a fog hung in my brain that didn't left for months. Beware reading this book, it does something to one's mind that I cannot explain.
Maja Shinigami
Oct 06, 2015 Maja Shinigami rated it it was amazing
Napravi mi sina.
Gwyndyllyn
Aug 23, 2007 Gwyndyllyn rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: occultphilosophy
Okay...this is an AMAZING book, but requires a cavaeat...as does everything when Crowley is involved. Be aware that he has laid karmic traps throughout for those who do not have sufficient ethics and discipline over their lower natures. Personally, I find the trap laying ethically problematic...but Crowley was an accomplished occultist and it nice to read someone who really understands the theory behind what is going on.
Noah Stacy
Jan 03, 2009 Noah Stacy rated it really liked it
Shelves: nonfiction
Far more important in my youth than today, but I must still admit to a certain fondness for the Old Beast.
Max
Jan 27, 2008 Max rated it liked it
At the time I read this was dabbling in dark magic. As preposterous a sentence as that is to write, it's even more preposterous in hindsight now that I'm an atheist zealot. If Crowley were alive today he'd be marketing his wacky wares on an informercial selling tarot cards, sacrificial doves, and a layman's guide to the major and minor demons. "Do what thou wilt shall be the whole of the law!" If Crowley weren't the secret poster boy for stringy acne-riddled Goth boys looking to score the book w ...more
Craig Herbertson
Jun 07, 2013 Craig Herbertson rated it really liked it
Excellently written but full of traps for the unwary. Under no circumstances attempt to construct a consistent magickal practice from this book
Chris
Aug 10, 2013 Chris rated it it was amazing
An indispensable and pivotal work.
R.W. Clark
This is a fashionable book, for fashionably soulful people to flip through. Crowley has expended considerable academic effort to create an Edwardian coffee table book.

As a coffee table book, it has all the necessary ingredients to provide distraction, much as if it were the textual equivalent of stage magic. If only the audience (reader) was suitably amused with a mummified rabbit being removed from a musty turban.

There are practices, rituals, operations, observances, and acts in full elaboratio
The Elves
Nov 29, 2014 The Elves rated it it was amazing
There are numerous things...
dear Magi,

... that make this a great book, starting with his outline in the beginning of the book, defining magic, its theory and the postulates and theorems thereof. There is also a very useful section later in the book of magical correspondences (we have referenced this section for years). But what really makes this book great is the seriousness with which Crowley approaches his subject; he makes the magic real. If you are a young magician and still hounded with the
Sean Mckeown
In Crowley's master work, he states that he is "The Most Wicked Man In The World!" and you need read no further than the introductory comments to see the proof of this. He sets down a list of precepts that by their own definition destroy man's ability to understand the world around him, stating explicitly that the concept of reason has no place in the world and is an illusion. He then follows by noting that with proper understanding and preparation, every magical sending will of course be succes ...more
Elena Hexthorn
Mar 15, 2016 Elena Hexthorn rated it it was amazing
This was one of the first books on Magick I ever read, I had to persevere with it at first as I read it as a teenager, but I really loved reading it. It opened up a lot of new lines of thought in my mind and I think everyone needs a copy.
Mark Richfield
Aug 23, 2013 Mark Richfield rated it it was amazing
A huge influence on the young man I was... and yes, I still open it up from time to time. For many this inexpensive Dover edition is our first exposure to Crowley. You can usually find it at any Chapters or Black Bond Books.
By his own admission Crowley left nasty little ethical/spiritual traps throughout his works. So if you are a selfish asshole who is out for power and control... well, you are going to be in for one hell of a ride my friend. I have seen first hand what the deliberate abuse of
Carly
Mar 26, 2014 Carly rated it really liked it
The author was mad and possibly a genius or at least very clever.
Think Compass
Sep 27, 2015 Think Compass rated it really liked it
Crowley's first works I ever read.
Arlo
Jan 05, 2009 Arlo rated it really liked it
Regardless of whether you believe in Aleister Crowley as a practitioner of real Magick, his authoritative treatise on the subject is worth a read for anyone interested in the Occult. Crowley is credited with having actually defined magic as it is understood in today's circles. His interpretations of the symbolism and practice of magic are insightful regardless of whether they hold any truly practical application. This work explores ritual symbolism and the interconnectedness of all things.
Parker East
Aug 10, 2011 Parker East rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
It is worth the price of admission for the introduction alone. Crowley could have done a much better job organizing this work though. Still it is a storehouse of information, and when you look at how forthright some other gurus have been *cough* Gurdjieff *cough* things almost seem straightforward.

I have an original subscribers edition, big and beautiful in red cloth boards.
Jim Amy
Apr 19, 2016 Jim Amy rated it really liked it
Although this book contains some advanced rituals and it can omit necessary parts of some rituals, it also contains some pretty good basic ones and quite a bit of theory. MTP is generally considered one of the most important modern books about Magick. I particularly recommend Libers O and E to those seeking to begin their career in ritual magick. 93!
Dwayne
Oct 16, 2008 Dwayne rated it did not like it
Shelves: non-fiction
This book was stupid. Don't waste your time. I only put it on my list because I'm trying to beat my friend Natalie in a book listing game...so far, she's winning, hence the stretch. Soon, I'll go back to the books of my childhood.
Neri.
Nov 30, 2015 Neri. rated it really liked it
It was a glimpse into the mind and the works of the Beast 666 himself. He shares his experiences and spells that he performed during Golden Dawn era with everyone.
Multiple Galerie
May 16, 2015 Multiple Galerie rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
Big Al occults it all over the shop but somewhere in the midst of 'extreme-sports' verbiage reveals that you don't need to read any of this unless you're a twunt.
S.
Feb 08, 2013 S. rated it liked it
Excellent Work or Metaphysical Art, widely accepted or not, Mr. Crowley was a true "realist" of his time.
Andy
Jan 26, 2008 Andy rated it it was ok
Shelves: woo-woo
It was a dark period in my life I'm not proud but it was there.
Jure
Jul 19, 2016 Jure rated it liked it
Good but there exists a better edition
Annick
Jul 22, 2014 Annick rated it liked it
don't know how to rate this yet ....
Carl Hruza
Dec 13, 2013 Carl Hruza rated it liked it
The author clearly has issues.
Saroya
A.
Jan 26, 2011 A. rated it it was amazing
Pure genius.
Emi Jay
Emi Jay marked it as to-read
Jul 28, 2016
  • The Magick of Aleister Crowley: A Handbook of the Rituals of Thelema
  • The Golden Dawn: The Original Account of the Teachings, Rites, and Ceremonies of the Hermetic Order
  • Transcendental Magic: Its Doctrine and Ritual
  • The Book of the Sacred Magic of Abramelin, The Mage — As Delivered By Abraham The Jew Unto His Son Lamech — As A Grimoire of The 15th Century
  • The Mystical Qabalah
  • Perdurabo, Revised and Expanded Edition: The Life of Aleister Crowley
  • Three Books of Occult Philosophy
  • The Key of Solomon the King: Clavicula Salomonis
  • Liber Null and Psychonaut: An Introduction to Chaos Magic
  • Condensed Chaos: An Introduction to Chaos Magic
  • Visual Magick: A Manual of Freestyle Shamanism
  • The Book of Ceremonial Magic
  • The Magician's Companion: A Practical and Encyclopedic Guide to Magical and Religious Symbolism (Llewellyn's Sourcebook)
  • Modern Magick: Eleven Lessons in the High Magickal Arts
  • The Magus: A Complete System of Occult Philosophy
Aleister Crowley, born Edward Alexander Crowley, was a British occultist, writer, mountaineer, philosopher, poet, and mystic. He was an influential member in several occult organizations, including the Golden Dawn, the AA, and Ordo Templi Orientis (O.T.O.), and is best known today for his occult writings, especially The Book of the Law , the central sacred text of Thelema. He gained much notoriet ...more
More about Aleister Crowley...

“Magick is the science and art of causing change to occur in conformity with will.” 117 likes
“In this book it is spoken of the Sephiroth and the Paths; of Spirits and Conjurations; of Gods, Spheres, Planes, and many other things which may or may not exist. It is immaterial whether these exist or not. By doing certain things certain results will follow; students are most earnestly warned against attributing objective reality or philosophic validity to any of them.” 36 likes