Robin Hood

Robin Hood

3.87 of 5 stars 3.87  ·  rating details  ·  1,214 ratings  ·  30 reviews
Robin Hood is the best-loved outlaw of all time. In this edition, Henry Gilbert tells of the adventures of the Merry Men of Sherwood Forest - Robin himself, Little John, Friar Tuck, Will Scarlet, and Alan-a-Dale, as well as Maid Marian, good King Richard, and Robin's deadly enemies Guy of Gisborne and the evil Sheriff of Nottingham.
Published January 5th 1998 by Wordsworth Editions (first published 1912)

Wolf's Head by Steven A. McKayHood by Stephen R. LawheadThe Outlaws of Sherwood by Robin McKinleySherwood by Parke GodwinScarlet by A.C. Gaughen
Best Robin Hood Fiction
12th out of 48 books — 40 voters
The Hobbit by J.R.R. TolkienThe Chronicles of Narnia by C.S. LewisAnne of Green Gables by L.M. MontgomeryHarry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone by J.K. RowlingThe Hobbit by J.R.R. Tolkien
Books you would love to live in
7th out of 127 books — 15 voters

More lists with this book...

Erica Mukherjee
Henry Gilbert’s Robin Hood sulks in the uneasy twilight of world literature. The likes of Sir Gawain, Piers Plowman and Beowulf have had the good fortune to have their tales told in a clear, definitive voice and then retold by scrupulous and concise editors. Robin Hood’s story was told and retold by so many balladeers and then moulded into whatever shape his editors thought would fit the sensibilities of the times. Therefore it is difficult to find Robin Hood in his original alliterative verse a...more
Ruth
There's a lot of action in this book. You can't get bored while reading it.
I wasn't too crazy about it, though. I think it's not the book, but the time over which the book tells, that troubled me.
I don't like it when people are slaughterd and tortured all the time, like it's a very common thing.
Răzvan Damachi
Robin Hood is the best-loved outlaw of all literature, and one of the best-loved characters altogether. Henry Gilbert's version of the story proves it. The book is interesting to read, since it provides an explicit view over the hard past times in old England, over the people and the lands. Its action brings the suspense which will keep you entertained reading it till the very end, and its characters almost deliver their very feelings to you, as a reader. Robin Hood is finely designed, so that h...more
Elinor  Loredan
Definitely not in the same strain as the happy ending Disney version. It is a violent book, with Robin not in the least hesitant to kill the bad guys. He is a very charming hero, however, though I wish more was given on his background (probably no one really knows it) and I enjoy the noble speech of he and his men. The villains are convincing, with simple descriptions and characterization that do not overdo trying to make them seem ferocious. My favorite part in the book is when Robin meets Litt...more
Alex Smith

1. Genre: Traditional Literature

2. Awards: None

3. Grade Level: 5th-6th

4. This story is a timeless classic with many adaptations. I would use this book when we discuss the English medieval period in history class and how this was one of the most popular folk tales to tell during that particular time period. A follow-up activity I would do would be to have my students imagine and describe what their lives would be like if they were one of Robin Hood's men living in Sherwood Forest and them have th...more
Daniel
This was the classic fairytale kind of book that those really serious people without senses of humour get annoyed with. Each chapter follows the same formula; Robin learns of an injustice, overthrows the wicked lord or baron, one of his comrades dies, repeat. The best part in the novel was in the scene where we are taken to the evil hold and the wicked and oppressive rogues are scheming. It was so comical that I imagined it as a movie, the narrator would say "Meanwhile back at the Evil Hold........more
Chris
I won a copy of this book at a raffle a year ago and decided to read it, perhaps thinking it a liberal fantasy. I figured it would be a nice, cute story about a guy in green who innocuously robs from the rich and gives to the poor. Little did I expect how violent this story is. Robin Hood committed murder, arson and aggravated assault in his form of vigilante justice. Granted, their victims were all pretty bad people. But still, this guy wasn't George McGovern. He was Dexter.

I had to put this aw...more
Glorious.Clio
A very enjoyable, approachable read. Gilbert knows his RH legends, and tries to utilize as much of the old legends as possible. He also adds a couple of characters from fearie lore (which is why I've added the "magical realism" tag, because these characters are added as a matter of course). This version was published in 1912, original, and I don't know why they were inserted, but they're certainly useful.

Marian isn't much of a bad-ass in this one. Unfortunately, she falls victim to Guy of Gisbo...more
Elfa
*snickers* I remember reading this book when I was nine or ten years old. I think I must have read it at least five times by the time I was eleven - I liked the book so much.

I haven't read this book in a while so I'm thinking I should re-read it to remind myself of why I liked it so much when I was a kid. :)
Gavin
288 closely typed pages wouldn't normally be recommended reading for a 6 year old. Sean picked this off my shelf to read to him and we've now finished it. It's quite a different version of the Robin Hood legend from that of Roger L. Green, but it is every bit as compelling. The basic story should be well known to most through the cinema, however, obviously the cinema cannot pack in every incident in Hood's legend, unless one day they want to make a film of severals day's length.

This book would p...more
Kara

This version of Robin Hood represents a literary half way point in the story telling history of Robin Hood tales. It isn’t a ballad told in late medieval affected style or even Tudor bombastic style, but neither does it have the fast pace, clipped speech, cinematic quality the later 20th century versions will bring to the table. It takes most of the traditional ballads and puts them in linear, prose form, with a sprinkling of Edwardian-type fantasy, swinging back and forth between the stock, blo...more
Kaitlin Smith
This is more of a "read?" since my edition has no author or date listed. It lists the publisher as "The Goldsmith Publishing Company: Chicago". The one I own has Ket the Trow and Hob O' the Hill as characters...can anyone tell me if this book is that one? Red fabric over cardboard hardcover.
If this is that one...I loved it. I read and reread it until the pages started falling out and I still compare every Robin Hood story I read or see to it. None hold a candle to the breadth of the story, from...more
Amber Schwarz
Robin Hood by Henry Gilbert
Seventh Grade
Woods, 1938
Summary: Robin Hood is an outlaw; with is merry men, he robs from the rich and gives to the poor. Robin Hood is trying to protect the people from Prince John. Robin Hood defeats Prince John and becomes ruler of the land.
Recommendation: I would not recommend reading this as a class, just because everybody already knows the story behind Robin Hood. For a student to read on their own, I would say this is a great book for that. Very interesting and...more
Marty
As far as characters go, it is hard to beat Robin Hood in the hero department. The guy is inevitably cocky (in a good way, of course), and any story centered around him is a good story. That doesn't necessarily mean that the story is great, however. This one seemed to shuffle along in little vignettes, and the ending was atrocious. But, hey, it's Robin Hood. I can't really complain too much.
Helidth Ravenholm
The only reason for the two stars is the sort of sweet writing style that Gilbert tries on with this book. I may be a horrible reader, because I know a bit too much about actual Robin Hood myths to actually like this book, but in part, that's Gilbert's own fault. The inconsistencies (no spoilers, so you'll have to figure them out yourself) are a bit too much for an attentive reader to miss.
Dark-Draco
This was really good. Tales of derring-do, knights and fair maidens. All along the vein of King Arthur or Ivanhoe. There were so many characters, some mentiooned just to be killed off in the next page, that it took some following in places, but otherwise I enjoyed it. Each chapter is a story or two in itself and just long enough to read straight it one session.
Veronica Billingsley
My son really enjoyed reading about Robin Hood. He even started sneaking money from my parents because he was so intrigued by the outlaw (he's 3). I also enjoyed it and was surprised at how different it is from the Disney portrayal. Btw, the book we read has no author tied to it so I can't reflect on the variances among tales.
Lisa
I picked this book up because of its outstanding cover by N.C. Wyeth. What a treat to find this gem at a favorite used book store. Had not read Robin Hood and was thoroughly delighted and completely mesmerized by both the text and illustrations.
Laura Dimhawk
What a wonderful story! Unfortunately, the end of the novel was so so sad and unexpected. Even now I can't believe that after many fights with different atrocious lords, Robin was poisoned by his own aunt for money.
Cham Ray
A good one, I thought of it as being quite a page-turner, full of adventure and has a kind of emotioanal depth, I liked it and I still rearead it from time to another. The best work of H.Gilbert indeed.
Elijah Kinch Spector
Robin Hood fights the Sheriff of Nottingham and Guy of Gisborne, with the help of trolls. Uh, OK. Read my review!
Andrew Ives
If you've seen the films and tv series, read this and find out how different they all are and how much worse they are for it. The book is a lot more realistic and quite brilliant throughout.
Charlotte  Black
A traditional story of Robin Hood. Nothing out of the ordinary and nothing that you don't know already. The stories are nice and well written and its a good read for any age.
Ahf
Better than I thought it would be after a slow start. So many of these classics have the problem of having been done so often they are their own parody.
S.S.
Very exciting with lots of action. It makes me interested in reading some of the other Robin Hood narratives as well as the original ballads.
Sheila Read
I have read this book before it has adventure, friendship, romance and many other things that will enlighten your day.
Acook
Oct 03, 2008 Acook added it
That the 'real' robin hood story is not as kid friendly as the 'man' would have you thing
Beka
I very much enjoyed this as a kid. I'd probably enjoy it even more now.
Dan Bates
Classic tale! Read it when I was a kid and I still love the story!
Rare edition of Robin Hood? 1 4 Jan 08, 2012 01:10PM
  • The Adventures of Robin Hood
  • Robin Hood of Sherwood Forest (Scholastic Junior Classics)
  • Sherwood (Sherwood, #1)
  • The Adventures of Robin Hood: An English Legend
  • The Adventures of Robin Hood
  • The Forestwife (Forestwife Saga, #1)
  • Amintiri din copilărie
  • Rupert of Hentzau
  • Peter Pan in Kensington Gardens and Peter and Wendy
  • Poems
  • Robin Hood (Grandes Aventuras)
  • The Complete Adventures of the Borrowers
  • Anne of Green Gables/Anne of Avonlea
  • Around the World in Eighty Days & Five Weeks in a Balloon
  • The Lost World and Other Stories
  • Secret Water (Swallows and Amazons, #8)
  • Rowan Hood: Outlaw Girl of Sherwood Forest (Rowan Hood, #1)
  • The Owl Who Was Afraid of the Dark
King Arthur and His Knights King Arthur's Knights The Tales Re-told for Boys & Girls King Arthur's Knights The Book of Pirates The Conquerors of Peru Retold from Prescott's Conquest of Peru