Start by marking “Tokyo Clash: Japanese Pop Culture” as Want to Read:
Tokyo Clash: Japanese Pop Culture

Tokyo Clash: Japanese Pop Culture

3.5 of 5 stars 3.50  ·  rating details  ·  40 ratings  ·  5 reviews
Tokyo Clash is an extraordinary encounter with Japanese design culture. Author and photographer Ralf Bahren presents Japan s megacity in a visually stunning collection of images, vividly colorful and rich in contrast. He transports readers on an exciting trip through Japanese everyday life. Eye-catching signs, glittering games of chance, Manga characters, and countless oth ...more
Published September 6th 2010 by Ullmann Publishing (first published May 10th 2010)

To ask other readers questions about Tokyo Clash, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Tokyo Clash

Chris
I picked this up at Half Price in Cinci a while back. Very nice coffee table book all about Japan's Pop Culture. Lots of things I recognize, and some I didn't, which were cool to learn about. While I have a lot of manga and anime, there's a lot more about Japan in this book (beyond Kawaii toys, etc.). Lots of great pix showing me things I may never get to see if I don't visit there someday.
Sakura Yue Michaelis
Full of wonderful photographs. I can honestly say that I will be never bored by looking illustrations about Japan. Visually speaking, this book is beautiful. The hardcover is of a great quality, the size of it; the nice pictures... Textually speaking, it was weak.. very weak. Besides, each page is divided in 3 languages: English, German and Japanese, so there is barely any information.
Gustavo Bechtold
Despite its intention to depict the coolest city on Earth through pop culture facts, it gets boring somewhere between Akihabara, robots, toilets and subway cards, that is when things start repeating over and over. I guess this type of approach to Tokyo is a tiresome one that must be taken to the highest level of originality to become somewhat cool again.
Shawn Buckle
My wife bought me this in Berlin some months back. It's a quick, almost-coffee-table book of some fixtures one might see around Japan and should one be a gaijin, these fixtures would seem different or 'Japanese'. The book is an easy read and brings back a lot of memories of Tokyo, some I miss, some I don't.
Daniel
Die erste Begegnung mit Tokyo hatte ich in den Film "Lost in Translation". Zum ersten Mal verspürte ich eine Faszination von der erschlagenden Buntheit dieser Stadt. Dies finde ich in diesem Buch wieder. "Tokyo Clash" verkörpert für mich das Bunte, das Kitschige und vor allem die Faszination für diese Weltmetropole.
Sylvia
Sylvia marked it as to-read
Mar 03, 2015
Ambalika
Ambalika marked it as to-read
Nov 06, 2014
'             '
' ' is currently reading it
Feb 18, 2015
Joni
Joni added it
Jun 29, 2014
Randee
Randee marked it as to-read
Jun 01, 2014
Fran Silveira
Fran Silveira marked it as to-read
May 11, 2014
Chris
Chris marked it as to-read
Feb 14, 2014
Khryss
Khryss marked it as to-read
Feb 11, 2014