Start by marking “Tokyo Clash: Japanese Pop Culture” as Want to Read:
Tokyo Clash: Japanese Pop Culture

Tokyo Clash: Japanese Pop Culture

3.54  ·  Rating Details  ·  50 Ratings  ·  6 Reviews
Tokyo Clash is an extraordinary encounter with Japanese design culture. Author and photographer Ralf Bahren presents Japan's megacity in a visually stunning collection of images, vividly colourful and rich in contrast. Through his work he transports readers on an exciting trip through Japanese everyday life.
Published September 1st 2010 by H F Ullmann (first published May 10th 2010)

To ask other readers questions about Tokyo Clash, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Tokyo Clash

Chris
Aug 04, 2014 Chris rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I picked this up at Half Price in Cinci a while back. Very nice coffee table book all about Japan's Pop Culture. Lots of things I recognize, and some I didn't, which were cool to learn about. While I have a lot of manga and anime, there's a lot more about Japan in this book (beyond Kawaii toys, etc.). Lots of great pix showing me things I may never get to see if I don't visit there someday.
Yue
Full of wonderful photographs. I can honestly say that I will be never bored by looking illustrations about Japan. Visually speaking, this book is beautiful. The hardcover is of a great quality, the size of it; the nice pictures... Textually speaking, it was weak.. very weak. Besides, each page is divided in 3 languages: English, German and Japanese, so there is barely any information.
Gustavo Bechtold
Despite its intention to depict the coolest city on Earth through pop culture facts, it gets boring somewhere between Akihabara, robots, toilets and subway cards, that is when things start repeating over and over. I guess this type of approach to Tokyo is a tiresome one that must be taken to the highest level of originality to become somewhat cool again.
Shawn Buckle
My wife bought me this in Berlin some months back. It's a quick, almost-coffee-table book of some fixtures one might see around Japan and should one be a gaijin, these fixtures would seem different or 'Japanese'. The book is an easy read and brings back a lot of memories of Tokyo, some I miss, some I don't.
Daniel
Feb 27, 2013 Daniel rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Die erste Begegnung mit Tokyo hatte ich in den Film "Lost in Translation". Zum ersten Mal verspürte ich eine Faszination von der erschlagenden Buntheit dieser Stadt. Dies finde ich in diesem Buch wieder. "Tokyo Clash" verkörpert für mich das Bunte, das Kitschige und vor allem die Faszination für diese Weltmetropole.
oliviasbooks
*** Read first on November 1st 2010 ***
Chris
Chris rated it it was amazing
Apr 24, 2016
Josephine Young
Josephine Young rated it liked it
Mar 20, 2016
Hayden Williams
Hayden Williams rated it really liked it
Feb 21, 2016
Yoshiko
Yoshiko marked it as to-read
Feb 19, 2016
Alexandra
Alexandra marked it as to-read
Feb 05, 2016
Juho
Juho rated it liked it
Jan 20, 2016
Mudang
Mudang rated it it was ok
Dec 04, 2015
Oktavamielda Mutiara
Oktavamielda Mutiara marked it as to-read
Sep 29, 2015
Vern
Vern marked it as to-read
Jul 08, 2015
José
José rated it really liked it
Jun 24, 2015
Noora
Noora rated it really liked it
Jun 13, 2015
Elizabeth
Elizabeth rated it it was amazing
May 20, 2015
Snou
Snou rated it really liked it
May 15, 2015
Aimless
Aimless marked it as to-read
May 02, 2015
Soung Ah
Soung Ah marked it as to-read
Apr 05, 2015
Angela Simon-helmer
Angela Simon-helmer rated it liked it
Mar 29, 2015
Sylvia
Sylvia marked it as to-read
Mar 03, 2015
Leire
Leire rated it really liked it
Jan 28, 2015
Ambalika
Ambalika marked it as to-read
Nov 06, 2014
Carolina Dias
Carolina Dias rated it really liked it
Oct 18, 2014