The Palace of Impossible Dreams

The Palace of Impossible Dreams (Tide Lords #3)

4.02 of 5 stars 4.02  ·  rating details  ·  1,377 ratings  ·  44 reviews
Eternity is a long time to be watching over your shoulder...

The Tide is turning, and the Immortals who have walked the world for eons are once again coming into their powers and stepping from obscure boltholes to take control once more.

The very mortal lady Arkady knows of their plans but holds out little hope of being able to stop them. Branded and sold into slavery, Arkad...more
Published June 22nd 2010 by Tor Books (first published March 1st 2008)

To ask other readers questions about The Palace of Impossible Dreams, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Palace of Impossible Dreams

Traci
This is one of the best fantasy series I have read. Fallon is very much an underrated talent. And I recommend reading her if you haven't already. This is a "middle" book that builds on what has already happened and sets up a finale. I enjoyed the slow pace although I know others did not. I liked the characters even though it was a little too Twilightesque drama. Hopefully the last book swings things back up. I recommend this series to fans of Robin Hobb, of mythology, and any romance readers who...more
Mihir

Full review originally at Fantasy Book Critic

FORMAT/CLASSIFICATION: "The Palace of Impossible Dreams" (US hc edition) stands at about 460 pages while the Australian mmpb edition, both Liviu and myself have read stands at about 580 pages. As with the previous installments there is a prologue set in the past and featuring some Tide Lords' nefarious doings and the ordinary mortals who tried to resist them, as well as an epilogue that presages the stunning tetralogy ending The Chaos Crystal. There...more
Lis
Okay, this book is definitely the middle child of this trilogy. Except for moving along a few plot points that needed to be set up for the finale, not a great deal happens. Still enjoyable though, and the author actually managed to totally blind-side me with a plot twist right at the very end - the first time that's happened in this series! She had better be able to properly carry this twist through in the finale, though, because it completely changes everything about a major character, and how...more
Katharine
I love this series. Love love love love love.

And the ending! Makes me want to read the next straight away ^^
Wang Xiuyi
This has to be the weakest entry in the entire series. Arkady's behaviour and response after she was sold into slavery was incomprehensible. Despite her comments that her experience has changed her, she appeared to get on with everything else as if its life as usual. There was no sign of lasting trauma or animosity directed towards the culprits of her demise.

Her ability to bounce back from adversarial circumstances was so unbelievable that the plot seems to be modelled after a season of Grey's...more
jD
I am really loving this series. I have moved on and am now reading book 4. It is suppose to be the final one according to some reviews but I can't find anything official that says it's the final book. The author's website does not refer to the series as complete.

I am compeletly convinced that Tide Lords is a under-rated fantasy series. I can see the strength of Ms. Fallon's creativity with each book. This installment took me to another level of entertainment. Overall, Tide Lords is not high fan...more
Kanani
Brandi
Zara
Klappentext:

Die magischen Gezeiten nähern sich ihrem Höhepunkt und mit ihnen wachsen die Kräfte der Unsterblichen. In vielen Reichen strecken die Gezeitenfürsten die Hand nach dem Thron aus. Declan Hawkes, der tot geglaubte Meisterspion, ist auf der Suche nach seiner großen Liebe Arkady Desean, die in ein fernes Land verschleppt wurde. Declan hütet ein Geheimnis, das ihn in den Augen aller, die gegen die Gezeitenfürsten kämpfen, zum Verräter macht, und das ihn für immer von Arkady entzweien könn...more
Elena
ACHTUNG SPOILER! Wer Band 1 und 2 noch nicht gelesen hat, sollte besser nur das Fazit lesen.

Die Gezeiten steigen unaufhaltsam weiter und eine Königsflut steht bevor, doch noch bleiben die Unsterblichen in der Deckung. Die als Sklavin gebrandmarkte Arkady dient sich dem Schiffarzt als Hure und Gehilfin an, um weder allen Matrosen zu Willen sein zu müssen, noch später nicht in den sinestrischen Bergwerken zu landen. Declan hadert mit seinem Schicksal, macht sich aber schließlich auf dem Weg um Ark...more
Lina Al-Midfa
Lauren
I have to say - this was my least favorite of the Tide Lords saga. The Palace of Impossible Dreams picks up immediately after of The Gods of Amyrantha & the events at the end. Each chapter is told from third person perspective and feature Stellan, Cayal, Arkady, Declan, Tiji, Warlock, Jaxyn, Lukys POVs.

The first two installments of this series were very well done, with interesting characters & an intriguing story line. For me, this is a fun series that brings up some interesting ideas...more
Samantha
I devoured the two books before this. The story is so unique and I appreciate that Arkady is a female character with intelligence and nerve and strength. Without getting into spoilers, I could not accept that Arkady's character changes dramatically into a ignorant damsel-in-distress who is completely unable to think for herself. There is no plot reason for this change, it just happens randomly towards the end of the book. I actually had to put it down and not finish it.
Tiffany
I felt I made one giant circle with this book in the series. Pretty much, things eek'ed forward just a bit in the greater picture, but not much else happened. There was a lot of saving of the mortals by immortals, Cayal still trying to die, more pieces of the puzzle put together. But there was no real solution found. It all just left you hanging at the end.

I'm just feeling a little put out that the whole ending was basically similar to the ending of the second book, just different circumstances...more
Danielle
oooh there are some good twists and turns in this one! And the twist in the last chapter...I only just saw that coming and it's going to make for an interesting storyline in book 4 I think.
I was a bit worried about starting this one because a few reviews have said that only the first book was good and all the rest become too unbelievable but I've really enjoyed this series so far. Yes some things happen that are unexpected but that just makes the story all the more interesting, and I'm keen to...more
Keith Howlett
I really liked the story. I am very disappointed with the future of the series. the epilogue shows the immortal group on modern day Earth and begins to tell the new story. Anticipation was very high until I visited Jennifer Fallons website. She will not continue the series. I hope someone picks up the series and finishes it.
Renee Rearden
I absolutely adore the Tide Lords series.

This is a sweeping epic that follows Lady Arkady and her very mortal existence. The world is changing. A tide of magic is on the rise, and when it crests, the Tide Lords, immortal individuals with the ability to wield magic, will each battle for a piece of the world to rule. Lady Arkady, her lifelong friend Declan, her husband Stellan, and a handful of others race to find a way to stop the Tide Lords from destroying humanity and the world as they know it....more
Tchula Ripton
The first two installments were well done, with interesting characters. Unfortunately, as this series is progressing, I like the characters less and less. They are, without exception, fairly selfish, and seem to lack the ability to think about the consequences of their actions. And, if they do think about it, they often don't care, which is really reprehensible. I'll finish the 4th book, but I'm getting to the point where I think all of these jerks should just get what's coming to them. :-P
Jacinta Hoare
Hmmm, what a funny book this one was - there is another volume after this so its another situation where the plot marks time while the players set themselves up for their next big move. While there were plenty of twists and turns for various characters the story seemed to work itself into a circle and the status quo at the start was not a lot different from the status quo at the end.

However I still enjoyed the exercise of reading this book and have now started the fourth volume.
Brennan Griffin
High fantasy done with real, believable characters. Suffers a bit from middle book syndrome - plot kinda drags in places, and there's a lot of set up for the finale without a lot of resolution.
Errolyn
This installment was a bit slower than the last 2, as it is just a buildup to the final installment. So it works as a bridge to the next book. But even with all that said, there was still plenty that happened to keep you interested and to keep the story moving. Keeping track of all the different motivations and plots can get confusing, but it stays interesting. Can't wait for the last book. By the looks of thing...I should not expect a "happy ending."
Chelsea
I read the first two books in this series a couple of years ago, and was excited to continue on with it! Fallon creates a richly intricate world with fascinating lore and characters that you either love, or love to hate. This book dives right in to the series where it left off, so I had a hard time catching up for a while. The writing isn't exactly amazing, but it is a fun story that brings up some interesting ideas about human nature and immortality.
Kayla Perry
This is the third in the Tide Lord Series and I found it better than the second book. The same cast of characters returns, new connections are revealed, and the story progresses right along to its inevitable conclusion when the fourth (and I believe final) book is released. As always I liked Declan, was amused by the selfish antics of Cayal, and somewhat indifferent to the plight of Arkady.
Tiffany
Again, fine but not great. I confess I get a bit annoyed when authors start introducing new characters/quests in the third book of a series - George R R Martin, I'm talking to you - instead of tying up already-loosened strings. But things moved forward a bit, and there was a far bit of intrigue in this volume - but somehow less mystery.
Angevon
I'm getting tired of Arkady being traded around like a slave.

OH WAIT.

The ending of this book made me roll my eyes. This series relies on coincidence far more than is healthy. Still, this book was somehow compelling enough for me to read in a day. There is something in the way the author writes that draws you into it.
Candace
This series only gets better. I am disappointed I now have to wait until december until the final book. The characters are interesting, and Jennifer hasn't annoyed me by killing off anyone I like. The whole concept of the series is different from anything else I have read and damn near perfect.
Kathleen
I just LOVE this series. It is imaginative and very well written. I had no problem whatsoever following her line of thought. She could change from character to character and I knew exactly what was going on. I can't wait until the next book comes to the U.S.
Janyse
This was another great one...sucked me in from start to finish with a few twists I didn't see coming. I have to remember that Jennifer Fallon has no qualms about killing of major characters and in this case, resurrecting them if necessary.
Crystal Heimbecker
Like all of her books its a wonderful read. I have trouble putting the book down. I love that its not slow moving even in the beginning.

This book like all her other books I have read so far is an amazing read. I can't wait to read the next one!!!
Kristina
And Jennifer Fallon does it again - another great book, with wonderful twists and turns and things I did not expect, which is pretty hard to do to me. I just love the depth of thought that is in this series. Can't wait to start the last book.
  • Tyrant's Blood (Valisar, #2)
  • Gilfeather (Isles of Glory, #2)
  • The Fathomless Caves (The Witches of Eileanan, #6)
  • The Twisted Citadel (DarkGlass Mountain, #2)
  • The Well of Tears (The Crowthistle Chronicles, #2)
  • The Alchemist's Key
Fallon is the author of 17 full-length bestselling novels and a number of published short stories in genres ranging from horror to science fiction.

In addition to 4 complete fantasy series - The Demon Child trilogy, The Hythrun Chronicles, the Second Sons Trilogy,The Tide Lords Quadrilogy and the Rift Runners series - Fallon has written both a tie-novel and short fiction for the TV series, Stargat...more
More about Jennifer Fallon...
Medalon (Hythrun Chronicles: Demon Child Trilogy, #1) Treason Keep (Hythrun Chronicles: Demon Child Trilogy, #2) Harshini (Hythrun Chronicles: Demon Child Trilogy, #3) The Immortal Prince (Tide Lords, #1) Wolfblade (Hythrun Chronicles: Wolfblade Trilogy, #1)