Late Night Talking: A Novel

Late Night Talking: A Novel

2.9 of 5 stars 2.90  ·  rating details  ·  251 ratings  ·  42 reviews
From the acclaimed author of The Dog Walker comes Late Night Talking, a tender and funny novel about bad behavior, the fragility of friendship and family, and how we cannot choose whom we love.

Jeannie Sterling, host of a late-night NYC talk show, vents with her listeners about everyday injustices, from rude cell phone users and poor gym etiquette to bad drivers and negli...more
Published May 15th 2007 by Atria Books

Alissa
I enjoyed the author’s first book, The Dog Walker, and so when I saw this on the shelf at the library I pulled it off.
This was an interesting read due to the way it’s written. There are short chapters (with great titles) and transcripts from Jeannie’s radio show. The viewpoint switches a lot and sometimes it’s hard to tell where you are until the second paragraph. I didn’t feel completely vested in Jeannie (In fact in my head I referred to her as Jennie) and I kept waiting for the big plot momen...more
Marian
I forget exactly how I found Late Night Talking, but the premise intrigued me. As a third-shifter, I figured reading about someone else working the graveyard shift would be interesting.

Apparently I still think the crazy thoughts, because Jeannie was a waste of a third shifter. She whined about working the night shift and not getting to live on the same schedule as everybody else, and normally I might agree with this except... her closest friends? Kept the same schedule and she lives in NYC. If...more
Lori
This book wins the prize for biggest waste of time. The writing was bad, the characters were all unlikeable. The ending was completely predictable. The main character was so judgemental, rude and mean yet she was supposed to be likeable. Conversations between characters was awkward and childlike. A few hours of my life I will never get back...
Bridget
Nothing special here, save your time to read something more interesting!
Emma
I bought this initially because I liked the front cover - it's pretty lol! I also thought that a main character who worked in radio was a bit different and original. I liked it but it didn't blow me away - just a nice easy read. I found it hard to relate to the main character because I found it a bit unrealistic that a woman nearing 40 would behave in such a way but then maybe I'm being a bit mean - I don't know anyone in real life in the same situation as the main character so maybe I'm being a...more
Goddess
This is ok. I wouldn't say it was the best chic lit I've read by far. I think it would have been better if Moss (the love interest) was a bit more "real" because million (or was it billionaire??) playboy-cum-business-magnets-badboy's who are also goodlooking are few and far between and even then I'm guessing it'd take a lot for them to consider making a commitment to just anyone.

Additionally, Jeannie Sterling the protagonist doesn't strike me as anything wow to trigger a man's interest for long...more
Rebecca
This book was like a Cabot, but a grade higher. Like imagine if adult Cabot books were written for 5th graders, this book was written for a 6th grader. Still super immature, but like a step up. Girl thinks she is the shit because she has a radio show in NY where she gets mad at people who she thinks have wronged society. Agh, already. Get off your high horse. Some guy in a Hummer nearly runs her over or something, so takes a vendetta against him on her show. He gets back at her by buying the rad...more
Callie Tausig
Late Night Talking by Leslie Schnur is a great beach read consisting of a romantic story with a unique plot line. Although not necessarily a rivoting plot line and a great literary novel, if is interesting to see how one's families and past actions shape who and how we are. Seemingly opposite, Jeanie a New York City savvy young woman has a successful late night talk show discussing "Sterling Behavior." Constantly arguing for people to behave morally and environmentally friendly in public, Jeanie...more
Angela Lam
The novel Late Light Talking is kinda a sweet, lovely book. But i don't think that every one will lke it. Doesn't means it's a bad book but it's okay. I've once think of stop reading this book since it's becoming bored and it can't hook me. But if you keep reading it till the end you will fingure out it's still a romance light novel. Those character in the book it's kinda negative but their reaction will always excited you and makes you think of the mistake you made during your hard life.

I wil...more
Melissa
Beng Flores
My eyebags is finally worth it. :) this is my favorite book so far. a very realistic story. choosing between love ones or friends, a marvellous achievements of jeannie, i really love the moment when mouse the dog who always steal the undies of jeanie that was so funny LOL. revealing in late night radio show of all the bad behaviors who lives in NYC is so freaking embarrass. that book was so cool,learned lesson at the end :')
Stephanie Louise

I almost gave up on this book. Jeannie Sterling is cool because she has a Late-night radio show and the essence of the show was unique. But after a few pages i already find her irritating. She keeps on pushing everyone away, she can't seem to take other people's shortcomings in spite of her doing likewise. She keeps on whining, just not my kind of personality.
Kathleen
This was a tough read: a hypercritical, aggressive, "can't forgive my parents for anything/everything/nothing they did for me" woman who uses her late night radio talk show as a bullhorn to change what she perceives as everyone's bad behavior. I could hardly bear how she treated everyone in her life and am not sure she understood her own bad behavior even at the end.
Karina
Cute premise, different but interesting heroes and heroine, and a cute plot. The writing style worked too, except that her cutting between the radio station and real life in titled snippets at times got in the way of the flow of plot and its momentum.

I'd still recommend this to chick-lit lovers since I'm way too picky and impatient and others are probably not.
Kourtney
There is no better way to say this - this book was just...there. Nothing exciting. Nothing great. An ending you could predict a mile away. A main character who is hypocritcal from the get go. No empathy on my part for anyone in the book - it made it all just so...beige. Not great. Not horrible. Just there.
Dyanne
I really liked Leslie Schnur's other book "The Dog Walker" so I was looking forward to reading this book. Although it had the same NYC feel to it, the story was kind of all over the place and it didn't flow very well. Some of the "lessons-to-be-learned" by the main character just seemed forced.
Sylvia
this book will make u look at ur values in your life and look at what u do wrong in your life as well. It gives you a whole new look on life that you never thought a book could or would make you do. Its just a book that keeps you begging for more.
Synova
This was an interesting novel for me. I liked the main character at the start, then about half way through the book I started to hate her, and didn't really start to like her again until probably the last 30 pages of the book.

Jen
Jun 18, 2007 Jen is currently reading it  ·  review of another edition
Just an easy, breezy summer read about a woman who works a late-night radio show and has a thing for manners and rudeness (people on the phone at Starbucks, anyone?!)...I have the same issue with rudeness, so I was definately intrigued.
Krystal
this book really dragged for me....there were some redeeming things about it, but I wouldn't recommend it as a great read to anyone. The book summary just made it sound more intringuing than it really was...yes, it was one of those books
Heidi
I really enjoyed this short little chick book - made me think about how I judge the behavior of others, when instead you always get better results with compliments and finding the good things around you.
Terri
Browsing books at Goodwill, book fundraisers or the flea market, I'll rarely pass up a "dog book." I up my copy at Goodwill one Sunday afternoon and found it to be a mildly entertaining, light read.
Heather Kazmer
Cute...it made me think about "good behavior" and acting socially moral. But, the story line was predictable. It was a good non-thinking book - the best saved for a mindless beach read.
Sue
i learned that i should read more books like this because i actually finished it in less than 6 months!! It's light, it's fluffy, it's girly. It was on sale at Target.
Anne
This is vapid fluff! I have tried to read this twice and have set it aside twice. I can't even call it decent "chick-lit". I GIVE UP- on to better books!
Daneen
Good story - predictable but good, easy-reading chick lit.
The relationships in this story are interesting--friends, coworkers, family, even with the dog.
Leslie
Ugh, I can't even finish it. Someone at work left it on the fridge, and I tried it because I liked another one I read by her but this is just too bad!
Krissy Obermark
a completely charming little tale where the heroine is anything but perfect. slightly predictable but still a sweet story.
Nancy
This was a sparkly book-quick, fun, and bubbly. Not much substance, though, and I wouldn't read the author's other book.
Shawna
Lots of strong language and some "intimate" scenes, so I can't really recommend it, but it could have been fun.
  • A Most Uncommon Degree of Popularity