Start by marking “Late Night Talking: A Novel” as Want to Read:
Late Night Talking: A Novel

Late Night Talking: A Novel

2.93  ·  Rating Details  ·  300 Ratings  ·  50 Reviews
From the acclaimed author of The Dog Walker comes Late Night Talking, a tender and funny novel about bad behavior, the fragility of friendship and family, and how we cannot choose whom we love.

Jeannie Sterling, host of a late-night NYC talk show, vents with her listeners about everyday injustices, from rude cell phone users and poor gym etiquette to bad drivers and negli
Published May 15th 2007 by Atria Books

To ask other readers questions about Late Night Talking, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Late Night Talking

Alissa
Nov 24, 2008 Alissa rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: chick-lit, 2008
I enjoyed the author’s first book, The Dog Walker, and so when I saw this on the shelf at the library I pulled it off.
This was an interesting read due to the way it’s written. There are short chapters (with great titles) and transcripts from Jeannie’s radio show. The viewpoint switches a lot and sometimes it’s hard to tell where you are until the second paragraph. I didn’t feel completely vested in Jeannie (In fact in my head I referred to her as Jennie) and I kept waiting for the big plot momen
Marian
Oct 13, 2009 Marian rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: readit, 2009
I forget exactly how I found Late Night Talking, but the premise intrigued me. As a third-shifter, I figured reading about someone else working the graveyard shift would be interesting.

Apparently I still think the crazy thoughts, because Jeannie was a waste of a third shifter. She whined about working the night shift and not getting to live on the same schedule as everybody else, and normally I might agree with this except... her closest friends? Kept the same schedule and she lives in NYC. If
Lisa Tijms
Best een leuk `tuinboek`(Lekker lezen in het zonnetje ;)), maar het duurde even voordat ik hier echt in kwam, pas na een paar mooie twists op emotioneel gebied werd het wat spannender. Hierna heb ik het in 1 ruk uitgelezen. Dit lag niet aan de karakters en hun verhaal want dat was duidelijk en herkenbaar, maar meer op de manier waarop het verteld werd. Eerst vrij eentonig, en toen opeens met spanning en sensatie.

Ik weet niet of ik hem nog een keer zou willen lezen.
Beng Flores
Jan 20, 2013 Beng Flores rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
My eyebags is finally worth it. :) this is my favorite book so far. a very realistic story. choosing between love ones or friends, a marvellous achievements of jeannie, i really love the moment when mouse the dog who always steal the undies of jeanie that was so funny LOL. revealing in late night radio show of all the bad behaviors who lives in NYC is so freaking embarrass. that book was so cool,learned lesson at the end :')
Lori
Jul 14, 2009 Lori rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
This book wins the prize for biggest waste of time. The writing was bad, the characters were all unlikeable. The ending was completely predictable. The main character was so judgemental, rude and mean yet she was supposed to be likeable. Conversations between characters was awkward and childlike. A few hours of my life I will never get back...
Dils AB
Nov 01, 2015 Dils AB rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: chic-lit
About a late night NYC talk show host whose topics mostly deal with etiquettes and day to day minor aggravations ( cutting queues, inconsiderate drivers etc).

It was ok. The story deals with how the main character deals with her past, romantic attachments and friendship. And her outlook on life basically.

Basic chick lit. Except it feels not quite there. The character feels like a caricature. I would be more interested to read about her best friend. Her struggle on her life is actually just.. co
Nikki
Feb 13, 2016 Nikki rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Wat een verschrikkelijk boek. Als ik eerlijk ben is er gewoon echt niks leuks aan. De recensie staat nu ook online op http://bookswithabeautychick.blogspot...
Bridget
May 04, 2009 Bridget rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Nothing special here, save your time to read something more interesting!
Emma
Aug 11, 2013 Emma rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2013-books
I bought this initially because I liked the front cover - it's pretty lol! I also thought that a main character who worked in radio was a bit different and original. I liked it but it didn't blow me away - just a nice easy read. I found it hard to relate to the main character because I found it a bit unrealistic that a woman nearing 40 would behave in such a way but then maybe I'm being a bit mean - I don't know anyone in real life in the same situation as the main character so maybe I'm being a ...more
Goddess Of Blah
This is ok. I wouldn't say it was the best chic lit I've read by far. I think it would have been better if Moss (the love interest) was a bit more "real" because million (or was it billionaire??) playboy-cum-business-magnets-badboy's who are also goodlooking are few and far between and even then I'm guessing it'd take a lot for them to consider making a commitment to just anyone.

Additionally, Jeannie Sterling the protagonist doesn't strike me as anything wow to trigger a man's interest for long
Shelley
May 31, 2016 Shelley rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
This was some of the worst chick lit I have ever read. The plot was nonexistant, all the characters were unlikable except for a dog. The book was not cute, funny or make me feel anything besides disappointment and annoyance. It did not help things that I was in a dark place for the last half of the book, having just lost one of our beloved cats at the tender age of 6 years old. Rest in peace my sweet Vito, you were one good cat.
Rebecca
Jun 18, 2011 Rebecca rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: chicklit
This book was like a Cabot, but a grade higher. Like imagine if adult Cabot books were written for 5th graders, this book was written for a 6th grader. Still super immature, but like a step up. Girl thinks she is the shit because she has a radio show in NY where she gets mad at people who she thinks have wronged society. Agh, already. Get off your high horse. Some guy in a Hummer nearly runs her over or something, so takes a vendetta against him on her show. He gets back at her by buying the rad ...more
Callie Tausig
Late Night Talking by Leslie Schnur is a great beach read consisting of a romantic story with a unique plot line. Although not necessarily a rivoting plot line and a great literary novel, if is interesting to see how one's families and past actions shape who and how we are. Seemingly opposite, Jeanie a New York City savvy young woman has a successful late night talk show discussing "Sterling Behavior." Constantly arguing for people to behave morally and environmentally friendly in public, Jeanie ...more
Angela Lam
The novel Late Light Talking is kinda a sweet, lovely book. But i don't think that every one will lke it. Doesn't means it's a bad book but it's okay. I've once think of stop reading this book since it's becoming bored and it can't hook me. But if you keep reading it till the end you will fingure out it's still a romance light novel. Those character in the book it's kinda negative but their reaction will always excited you and makes you think of the mistake you made during your hard life.

I wil
Mellie Dee
Jan 11, 2016 Mellie Dee rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Alida arabelle
I actually learned something from the book so it was good.the concept was good.maybe a tad boring and droning but the character moss and Jean were worth the read.arse tommy..kiddin
Beautiful_Jade
Not a bad story but the main character was just so annoying.
Linda
Jan 20, 2016 Linda rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
No-brainer - but fun. Enjoyed the sassy radio hostess!
Samiolena
found dog walker at my library's should read area. Glad I did. So when needed something fast and eady found this one.
Stephanie Louise

I almost gave up on this book. Jeannie Sterling is cool because she has a Late-night radio show and the essence of the show was unique. But after a few pages i already find her irritating. She keeps on pushing everyone away, she can't seem to take other people's shortcomings in spite of her doing likewise. She keeps on whining, just not my kind of personality.
Kathleen
Feb 16, 2009 Kathleen rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
This was a tough read: a hypercritical, aggressive, "can't forgive my parents for anything/everything/nothing they did for me" woman who uses her late night radio talk show as a bullhorn to change what she perceives as everyone's bad behavior. I could hardly bear how she treated everyone in her life and am not sure she understood her own bad behavior even at the end.
Karina
Cute premise, different but interesting heroes and heroine, and a cute plot. The writing style worked too, except that her cutting between the radio station and real life in titled snippets at times got in the way of the flow of plot and its momentum.

I'd still recommend this to chick-lit lovers since I'm way too picky and impatient and others are probably not.
Kourtney
Aug 01, 2010 Kourtney rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
There is no better way to say this - this book was just...there. Nothing exciting. Nothing great. An ending you could predict a mile away. A main character who is hypocritcal from the get go. No empathy on my part for anyone in the book - it made it all just so...beige. Not great. Not horrible. Just there.
Dyanne
Sep 28, 2008 Dyanne rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: chick-lit
I really liked Leslie Schnur's other book "The Dog Walker" so I was looking forward to reading this book. Although it had the same NYC feel to it, the story was kind of all over the place and it didn't flow very well. Some of the "lessons-to-be-learned" by the main character just seemed forced.
Sylvia
Mar 16, 2009 Sylvia rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
this book will make u look at ur values in your life and look at what u do wrong in your life as well. It gives you a whole new look on life that you never thought a book could or would make you do. Its just a book that keeps you begging for more.
Synova
Jul 13, 2008 Synova rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: girly-fiction
This was an interesting novel for me. I liked the main character at the start, then about half way through the book I started to hate her, and didn't really start to like her again until probably the last 30 pages of the book.

Jen
Jun 18, 2007 Jen is currently reading it  ·  review of another edition
Just an easy, breezy summer read about a woman who works a late-night radio show and has a thing for manners and rudeness (people on the phone at Starbucks, anyone?!)...I have the same issue with rudeness, so I was definately intrigued.
Krystal
Jun 01, 2007 Krystal rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: chicklit
this book really dragged for me....there were some redeeming things about it, but I wouldn't recommend it as a great read to anyone. The book summary just made it sound more intringuing than it really was...yes, it was one of those books
Heidi
Feb 08, 2011 Heidi rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I really enjoyed this short little chick book - made me think about how I judge the behavior of others, when instead you always get better results with compliments and finding the good things around you.
Terri
Nov 06, 2010 Terri rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: goodwill-find, dogs
Browsing books at Goodwill, book fundraisers or the flea market, I'll rarely pass up a "dog book." I up my copy at Goodwill one Sunday afternoon and found it to be a mildly entertaining, light read.
  • Little White Lies
  • Le brave ragazze combinano guai
  • Five Things I Can't Live Without