Start by marking “What I Did.” as Want to Read:
What I Did.

What I Did.

4.08  ·  Rating Details  ·  389 Ratings  ·  34 Reviews
A matching volume to 2009’s Almost Silent, What I Did collects three of Jason’s acclaimed 1990s graphic novels into a handsome, definitive omnibus format.

Hey, Wait..., the first of Jason’s books to be translated to English, tells the story of two childhood friends. A dreadful event midway through the story changes their lives forever, and the melancholy. Sparsely told as a
Published December 6th 2010 by Fantagraphics (first published September 2010)

To ask other readers questions about What I Did., please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about What I Did.

Jan
Sad, Sadder, Jason

Collecting the first three Jason stories to be translated to English, this book deserves five stars for "Hey, Wait..." alone. Jason's uncanny ability to illuminate a character's inner life by putting the spotlight on a few seemingly insignificant moments reaches the pinnacle of its potential here, and the result is a story that captures feelings of regret and sorrow to absolutely devastating effect. Pure magic!

The two other stories are also very good, though not quite on the le
Liam
Apr 26, 2016 Liam rated it it was amazing
Why is Jason good? Because he can take you more immediately and prominently to the poignant horror of death with terse cuddly animal drawings than most writers can with as many pages brimmed with all kinds of complicated references, lifelike people and literary devices.

Horror and tragedy films normally "demand" mysterious or intricate characterisation, supernatural events, strong profanity or cheap shock tactics to take viewers to these heights. Jason does away with these, perhaps not just out o
Steve
Dec 13, 2010 Steve rated it it was amazing
Shelves: comics
Norwegian cartoonist Jason is a genius, full-stop, and that statement is undeniable by anyone who has even a passing knowledge of his work. If there are any readers out there who can count themselves amongst those unfamiliar with his comics, Fantagraphics has taken steps to ensure that they have no excuses for that situation continuing.

Shortly after their recent release of some of Jason’s uncollected short works in Low Moon, Fantagraphics began reprinting slender volumes of Jason’s work in durab
Allison
Jun 21, 2011 Allison rated it really liked it
Recommended to Allison by: Michael
Shelves: grahpic-novel
This is a collection of 3 stories by Norwegian graphic novelist Jason. I know Michael really loves his work so I was excited to read this book. Wow was I impressed. The first two stories were more depressing than anything I have ever read in a traditional book, but in a good way. There is just something about the format of the illustrations with very little text or no text at all that is able to tell a story so profoundly and so heartbreakingly. Because there is so little text, the first two sto ...more
Twan
Oct 22, 2011 Twan rated it it was amazing
Shelves: comics
3 stories, 2 written by Jason and one an adaptation of a Norwegian crime novel. The first two are your typical Jason fare, almost no dialogue in the first story which tells the tale of a childhood friendship that is changed dramatically after an accident. The 2nd story has no words at all and tells the life story of one of his birdmen characters. Jason gets so much emotion out in these tales despite the afore mentioned lack of speaking charcacters and the fact that these anthropomorphic creature ...more
Eisnein
'Hey Wait' is reason enough to pick up this beautiful little omnibus hardcover from Fantagraphics, and it's just one of the three excellent stories collected. Jason is the best and most prolific cartoonist to emerge from the frozen wastes of Norway, and 'Hey Wait' won't do much to convince anyone that Scandinavian artists are a cheerful bunch. But who cares... happy people are boring. It's not without humor, however, and Jason captures the essence of childhood with ease. It makes the abruptly tr ...more
Mariano Lastiri
Feb 18, 2016 Mariano Lastiri rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Este libro compilado dos de las primeras obras de Jason, el prolífico historietista noruego que a dejado huella en el noveno arte gracias a su combinación de animales antropomórficos sumergidos en situaciones que van de lo melancólico, lo delirante o simplemente el ridículo.
Hey wait es una suerte de novela gráfica que nos muestra los primeros pasos del artista. Hay más dialogo que la mayoría de sus historietas (aunque se sigue leyendo rápido) y ya presenta varias de las temáticas recurrentes de
Jeff
Dec 30, 2014 Jeff rated it really liked it
"Hey, Wait..." = a touching story about growing up and friendship. I love the visual metaphor at the end of the funeral! And the way lecturers' and coworkers' speech is parodied. And the inevitable Jason tweaks to reality: commuters "drive" stilts to/from work; pterodactyls roam the skies; gangs are undead; "When'll these photos be taken?" is a valid question and "In 15-20 years" is a valid answer.

"Sshhhh!" = a labyrinth of experiences on the themes of loneliness and togetherness. The absence of
Joe
Mar 08, 2014 Joe rated it really liked it
Fantastic. 3 stories put beautifully bound together in a hardcover. The first (Hey, Wait...) I'd read before and thoroughly enjoyed reading again (sad, honest tale recalling a childhood tragedy). The second (Sshhhh!) is a wordless story that is captivating (depressing, but not sad somehow). The third (The Iron Wagon) is an older story based upon an obscure Norwegian murder mystery. The rare use of color (a bold red) is fantastic. Also rare, for Jason, is the large amount of dialogue here. Loved ...more
Sam Quixote
Sep 19, 2011 Sam Quixote rated it it was amazing
The reissuing of Jason's back catalogue continues with this latest edition from Fantagraphics, another lovely hardback in the same size and material as two previous hardbacks "Low Moon" and "Almost Silent".

The first is arguably Jason's best book "Hey, Wait..." which features a childhood friendship torn apart by a tragedy. It's very originally presented with quirky touches like the animal faced characters using stilts instead of cars, and some brilliant techniques to show how childhood ends and
Arqui Himself
Feb 23, 2016 Arqui Himself rated it really liked it
Gran recopilación de trabajos del Noruego.
Hey, wait…” fue mi primera incursión en el mundo del escandinavo y luego de varias lecturas me sigue resultando magníficamente perturbadora.
Se destaca también “The Iron Wagon” una notable adaptación de un clásico de la literatura criminal noruega de 1909.
Por ultimo “SSHHHH!” una serie de relatos mudos protagonizados por un pajarraco que se ve envuelto en situaciones tan dramáticas como absurdas.
Martin
Jan 04, 2016 Martin rated it it was amazing
Shelves: graphic-novels
Hey, Wait... was a fantastic read. Childhood friendship will stay with you forever and Jason illustrates that here perfectly even with such little words. Everything changes for the two friends though when Jon tells his friend "Hey, Wait...".

The other two stories were more than interesting to continue reading. Sshhhh... is a completely wordless story and The Iron Wagon a quirky little whodunnit.

Highly recommended!
Jen
Can a graphic novel get lost in translation?

The three novels/stories in this collection are unusual. The common theme would be death, I think. But it's hard to tell. They probably warrant a closer look and a discussion with other readers, but I just don't have time for that right now.

They are dark, rather mature in moments, very subtle, somewhat abstract. Compelling, but also confusing.
Michael
Jun 09, 2011 Michael rated it it was amazing
Shelves: comics, comics-crime
Jason is a master graphic novelist. This novel collects three different graphic novels. The first two I've read before, Hey Wait... and SSHHHH!. They were a fun read to read again. The third graphic novel collected I hadn't heard of before, The Iron Wagon. The Iron Wagon is an adaptation of a Norwegian crime novel by Stein Riverton. This story departed from Jason's normal story telling. The first two stories are silent stories with very little dialog in them, leaving them up to a lot of personal ...more
Andrew
Feb 11, 2011 Andrew rated it really liked it
The first two books of this collection comprise a beautifully rendered mixture of melancholy and surrealism. Jason shares similarities with Daniel Clowes and Chris Ware, but he has a style all his own: warmer, looser, and more understated than his American contemporaries. In particular, the extended, dialogue-free "Shh" is an amazing piece of work. It's funny, sad, whimsical, and totally unpredictable.

The third story ("The Iron Wagon") is a fun adaptation of a Norwegian crime novel from 1909. I
Jason
Oct 27, 2014 Jason rated it really liked it
Nice illustration and thought provoking stories, a pleasant wee surprise of a read. Will pick up more of his books. (and i has nothing to do with my name :-D)
Jason Bootle
Dec 05, 2013 Jason Bootle rated it really liked it
Jason is a true master storyteller. Jason is a true master illustrator. This book is a collection of 3 of his novels, Hey, wait…, Sshhhh! and The Iron Wagon. With Hey, wait… one chapter I was busting my sides, the next I was all melancholic.

Jason taps into the human condition through simple and expressive line drawings in a way I've not seen many artists achieve. I rate Marjane Satrapi highly for the same insight in to human emotions but what makes Jason special is his love of the absurd and his
Jorge Sgvn
Mar 15, 2014 Jorge Sgvn rated it it was amazing
There are exponentially more words to say about this stories than those within the pages of the book.
Scott Lapierre
Nov 11, 2014 Scott Lapierre rated it it was amazing
Exquisite and restrained. Visual narrative poetry.
Apr 11, 2016 Jennifer rated it really liked it
Confusing at times, but altogether enjoyable.
Jg Paul
Sep 03, 2014 Jg Paul rated it liked it
For whatever reason, it seems I don't quite appreciate and enjoy Jason's comics quite as much as I should...
Kamyia
Sep 08, 2014 Kamyia rated it liked it
I liked it...the stories were interesting...I like how the author could convey so many different things and feelings without the use of many words
Emily
Aug 21, 2014 Emily rated it really liked it
Previously read Hey, Wait... This rating is for the other two stories: Sshhhh! and The Iron Wagon.
Lukas Holmes
Jan 22, 2015 Lukas Holmes rated it it was amazing
This is the first work of JASON I've read and I have been bowled over. Just terrific and upsetting.
Monica
Aug 17, 2011 Monica rated it liked it
Seeing as how the writing was so sparse in this graphic novel, I feel like I should make this review quick (and not so wordy?). "What I Did." was not just a peculiar story, but quite frankly, an exercise in how much one can communicate with just visuals (or to be fair, very few words). Interesting as it was, I felt like there was something lacking overall. It could have been words, or something else entirely.
Tim
Aug 29, 2011 Tim rated it liked it
First two titles in this collection of three previously published graphic novels by Norwegian born Jason are fantastic. The third inspires the comment "eh." Jason wrote and illustrated the first two but only adapted and illustrated the third (Iron Wagon). Well worth reading. "Hey Wait" is a complete work of art!
Vito
Jan 30, 2012 Vito rated it really liked it
I really loved the first two stories, while I didn't enjoy that much the last -- and longest -- one (probably too far in time and space from me).
The first and second stories are just wonderful: deep and moving, with a delightful touch of fantasy and silliness.
Emma
not my favourite Jason. I liked the final crime novel adaptation the best. Although there were sometimes whole pages of just talking head. I kind of struggled through this one, actually, it's no 'Left Bank Gang' or 'I killed Adolf Hitler'.
Eric Meyers
Jan 03, 2012 Eric Meyers rated it it was amazing
Another fantastic collection of Jason's brilliant work. I wouldn't start with this one if you are a new reader, as the selections border on esoteric, but amazing if you are already a fan.
Whatsupchuck
Jul 28, 2013 Whatsupchuck rated it liked it
This guy can write stories. Whoa.

The final section of the book really impressed me. It was an adaptation of a Norwegian mystery novel from 1909.
  • Isle of 100,000 Graves
  • The Fate of the Artist
  • Artichoke Tales
  • Life With Mr. Dangerous
  • Conan, Vol. 13: Queen of the Black Coast
There are multiple authors with this single name, but Goodreads is unable to differentiate between them. The most prominent is the author below.

John Arne Sæterøy (born 16 May 1965 in Molde), better known by the pen name Jason, is a Norwegian cartoonist, known for his sparse drawing style and silent, anthropomorphic animal characters.

He has been nominated for two Ignatz Awards (2000: Outstanding St