Start by marking “North Country: A Personal Journey Through the Borderland” as Want to Read:
North Country: A Personal Journey Through the Borderland

North Country: A Personal Journey Through the Borderland

3.75  ·  Rating Details  ·  113 Ratings  ·  13 Reviews
In celebration of his first half century of life, Howard Frank Mosher set off on a journey he had long dreamed of, following America's northern border from coast to coast in search of the country's last unspoiled frontiers. What he discovered was not a border in the conventional sense but a vast and sparsely populated territory largely ignored by the rest of the United Sta ...more
Published November 1st 1997 by Houghton Mifflin (first published 1997)

To ask other readers questions about North Country, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about North Country

James Johnson
Dec 04, 2009 James Johnson rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
a bit too... i dont know.. yearning. but a good series of mini stories about mosher wandering across the border between canada and the US. best for seasoned mosher readers. offers insight into his early career and life, which is interesting, but only if you give a shit about his early career and life.
John
Dec 16, 2009 John rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I so wanted to like this book, but it was a real eye-roller. That's honestly the best way to describe it. And it's sad, because it is a travelogue of a trip that I'd love to take, basically following the US/Canadian border all the way from Maine to Washington state. And there are some interesting moments from Howard Frank Mosher's life woven into the narrative. All well and good. He introduced me to some historical tidbits that I didn't know.
But somehow, every place he goes in this book he mana
Donna
Jan 18, 2010 Donna rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Donna by: Susan
This started slowly for me--but once I got into it I really enjoyed it. Particularly fascinating were some of the incredibly astute comments from some of the individuals the author met. The lifestyles of many who live along the North Country boundary are amazing. A very interesting read for me, especially since the author passed through Pembina, North Dakota--a town we drove through every week on our way to church when we lived there.

There is some occasional swearing, including one instance of a
John
May 08, 2012 John rated it liked it
Shelves: travel, library_books
Not sure I can put my finger on it, but the book came off as a bit dry to me, more like reporting, with the constant interviews, than observation (although there is a fair amount of that). I also sensed a whiff of self-congratulation as well. Still, not a bad read if you can get ahold of a cheap (free!) copy, and are interested in the border region, although these days I'm sure Border Patrol isn't nearly as laid back as it was a generation ago.
David Bales
An interesting but somewhat flawed travelogue/historical journey of a writer from Vermont who travels the 3,000 mile border between Canada and the United States; heavy on nature, workin' people like longshoremen, fishermen and loggers and light on culture and history. It was enjoyable, nonetheless.
Blair
Jan 17, 2013 Blair rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: nonfiction, outdoors
Pleasant meandering travelogue; as much about the people he meets as the geography of the North Country. Doubt the dialogue with people he meets is verbatim but allows him to bring in local history etc. Fishermen would definitely appreciate his experiences on rivers and lakes.
Norah
Feb 09, 2009 Norah rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A great insight into Mosher's past, and the Northern regions that shape him. It's interesting to follow him across the northern border between the US and Canada and witness the similarities in people and geography that he finds.
Nov 06, 2007 Jennifer rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: adventurers and lovers of the North
Shelves: recentlyread
A beautiful journey across the Northern border of the US/Southern border of Canada. I enjoyed Cumings style of short chapters focusing on one moment in his roadtrip. Kind of reminded me of Salt.
Allison
"What Canadians probably value most is law and order and stability. What Americans value most is independence and personal freedom" --Canadian customs official
Clayton Sillsworth
This was exactly what I wanted to find and read. Really lovely short pieces (some boring), all revealing a bit of that Northern lifestyle. Enjoyable.
Marti
Dec 12, 2009 Marti rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I enjoyed this travel memoir which included areas of the country that I am familiar with.
Linda
Apr 09, 2016 Linda rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: nonfiction
I do enjoy his homespun stories.
Redthai
Feb 12, 2016 Redthai rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves:
Could not finish this.
Fiona
Fiona added it
Jun 24, 2016
Morgan
Morgan marked it as to-read
Jun 04, 2016
Bill Yates
Bill Yates rated it really liked it
Jun 02, 2016
Clark Knowles
Clark Knowles marked it as to-read
Apr 27, 2016
Tammy
Tammy marked it as to-read
Jun 25, 2016
carrieprice78
carrieprice78 rated it really liked it
Feb 04, 2016
Melissa
Melissa marked it as to-read
Apr 15, 2016
Diana Mason
Diana Mason rated it liked it
Jan 25, 2016
Ihsan Tria Pramanda
Ihsan Tria Pramanda marked it as to-read
Jan 24, 2016
Steve
Steve rated it liked it
Jan 20, 2016
Scott
Scott rated it really liked it
Jan 25, 2016
Jay Silverman
Jay Silverman rated it liked it
Jan 16, 2016
Anne
Anne rated it really liked it
Dec 29, 2015
Stephen Remick
Stephen Remick marked it as to-read
Dec 25, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »
Howard Frank Mosher is the author of ten novels and two memoirs. Four of his novels have been made into feature films including, most recently, Northern Borders, starring Bruce Dern. Howard and his wife of 50 years, Phillis, have lived in Vermont’s fabled Northeast Kingdom since 1964. His fiction, set in the world of “Kingdom County,” chronicles the intertwining family histories of the natives, w ...more
More about Howard Frank Mosher...