Start by marking “The Further Adventures Of Robinson Crusoe” as Want to Read:
The Further Adventures Of Robinson Crusoe

Read Book

The Further Adventures Of Robinson Crusoe (Robinson Crusoe #2)

3.89  ·  Rating Details  ·  3,932 Ratings  ·  40 Reviews
Daniel Defoe's faith-filled "The Farther Adventures of Robinson Crusoe" finds Crusoe bored with his prosperity and consumed by an irresistible longing to return to the island he left many years before. Along with his trusty servant and companion, Friday, he embarks on a harrowing high-seas adventure that takes them to China, over the Russian steppes, and into Siberia. Read ...more
Published March 1st 2004 by Wildside Press (first published 1719)

To ask other readers questions about The Further Adventures Of Robinson Crusoe, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Further Adventures Of Robinson Crusoe

Jared
Oct 27, 2013 Jared rated it really liked it
The further adventures of Robinson Crusoe
(audio book)
In this book Robinson is back in his home country, England, but now seeks yet more adventures. He wants to go back to his previously discovered island in order to help the people that live there So he takes passage on his nephew's ship to help thes one left on his island. While he was gone, a Portugese individual he met After learning the story of the people he left on the island and giving them extra supplies. He gathers goods in Brazil, th
Todd Stockslager
Jan 14, 2016 Todd Stockslager rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction
Focus on the Family Great Stories edition, introduction and afterword by Joe Wheeler.

Defoe published the followup to his best-seller Robinson Crusoe just five months after the first book hit the streets, in a surprisingly modern marketing effort to cash in on the name recognition. Surprisingly modern, that is, given that both books were published in 1719, just one hundred years after Shakespeare and the King James Version of the Bible set the standard for the English language for the next 300 ye
Julien M.
This second book was not as good as the first one, but still an enjoyable read, with a few exceptions here and there. First of all, it was not as fascinating and as captivating as the first one and, never having enjoyed that one's ending, this one's beginning was on the same level. I enjoy reading about travelling almost as much as I like doing it myself, so that part of the book was probably the only thing that kept me interested until the end.

The second thing that bothered me about this book w
Chad
Feb 14, 2011 Chad rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I loved Robinson Crusoe, the book before this one. It may be dry, but I found the concept and the way in which Crusoe survived and organized his life fascinating. I assumed I would enjoy this book just as much. I tried reading it twice, making it pretty far but could not get interested. This book has nothing going for it and did not seem worth reading to me.
Martin Ryba
Jan 28, 2016 Martin Ryba rated it did not like it
Recommends it for: nobody
I really liked the original, which was, in my opinion, one of the best books I have read so far.
But this one is like a retarded brother of the original, in the sense that this is so bad, it makes you feel worse about the original. The first part is so-so. But the second one - oh god! I have never read such manifestation of british (and european) culture. The author constantly says how superior we are because we have guns and stuff and every other culture is primitive and deserves to be destroyed
James
Mar 24, 2010 James rated it liked it
Shelves: podcast
From librivox.org. Interesting further tales of Mr. Crusoe but not as exciting as his first adventure. Interesting look into the morale and religious aspects of the times.
Ryan Paul
Dec 17, 2014 Ryan Paul rated it it was amazing
Shelves:
This is a very good book in my opinion there are so many different events that change the fate of Mr. Robinson Crusoe. He has gone through so many things in his lifetime he has been in two shipwrecks and also he has been a slave to his master in Europe. He had also been on an island for twenty seven years of his life. HE has saved a slave from the Foreign people he would see every other year on the island. Ir is amazing all of the things that this man can do by himself for that long period of ti ...more
Ron
Oct 05, 2008 Ron rated it liked it
Like most sequels, not quite up to the standards of the first tale.
Scott Marley
I enjoyed his return to the island for the most part. However it dragged a bit after the initial landing. It wasn't until well after the halfway point that Crusoe ventured away from the island only to skirmish with savage after savage which became dull. I understand the morals involved in killing them all the time, but it happened at every turn. Everyone is a savage. I know it's an old book and topics may have been scarce but I've no pity. He seemed to scramble to end the book as it skipped here ...more
Debbie Zapata
Mar 14, 2015 Debbie Zapata rated it did not like it
Shelves: pg
I cannot say too much about this book without sounding as whiny as Robinson himself does in these pages. I was curious to see what kind of adventures he would have when he set off from his farm at the age of 60 or 62, but I had to slog through 8 chapters before he actually started having adventures himself instead of simply relating everything that had happened to the Spaniards and Englishmen he had left on his island.

Even then most of his 'adventures' were caused by his own judgmental attitude
Ditto Pappilanda
Dec 16, 2008 Ditto Pappilanda rated it it was amazing
bersetting abad ke-16 (kalo gak salah), buku ini menceritakan kisah hidung seorang Robinson Crusoe yang menghabiskan masa mudanya terdampar di sebuah pulau tak berpenghuni. selama tiga dekade, Robinson hidup layaknya manusia di jaman batu, hanya saja yang satu ini lebih maju.

terasing dianath berantah tanpa pernah berbicara dengan siapapun, Robinson banyak memikirkan arti hidup dan kaitannya dengan keberadaan Tuhan.

banyak pelajaran tentang bagaimana kita memandang campur tangan Tuhan dalam hidup
Roy Wilson
Read this book as a kid and was pleasantly surprised that it is still a good read
Black Cat
Apr 13, 2015 Black Cat rated it it was amazing
One of the most fabulous travel for a man in literature!
Nov 13, 2014 Laura rated it liked it
Shelves: classics
.....I JUST realized that I read this immediately after I "finished" Robinson Crusoe. The Kindle version took both books and smooshed them together and just called it by the first title.

This book had a LOT more action in it, which I enjoyed. There was still religous stuff: less musing more on the proselytizing and converting the barbarians. Definitely some bashing of anyone NOT British. Though since DeFoe wrote so many satires, he may well have been poking fun at the British. I think the religi
Brian
Dec 24, 2008 Brian rated it it was ok
A prime example of why sequels sometimes shouldn't be done.

I thought the book was not as well written as Defoe's other works. It felt somewhat splashed together. I have to admit, this might be a biased feeling on my part. I hated the idea of Crusoe becoming the imperialist. So, maybe I'm being hard on the writing because I didn't like the plot.

I would still recommend his other works before this one though.
Alan
Aug 26, 2010 Alan rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Nobody
Shelves: classics, fiction
Wow - where to begin with this. OK so I must say I was incredibly bored with this book. Everything is told in the past tense it being an auto-biography and most all accounts are in the form of a journal entry - I did this, I went there, blah blah blah. This is about 10 times worse than the original Robinson Crusoe. Although the first half of the book is much better than the second half. I cannot say that it was a good read.
Joseph
Apr 08, 2011 Joseph rated it did not like it
Written in much the same style the original Robinson Crusoe. It was not as easy to maintain interest though as well over half of the novel was given over to Robinson Crusoe describing the experiences of others as related to him. Friday does not have much a role here and the author kills him off in a rather casual manner. Robinson Crusoe is also revealed to be something of a Christian religious fanatic.
Andre Piucci
Oct 09, 2015 Andre Piucci rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
"In trouble to be troubled,
is to have your trouble doubled."
CC
Feb 17, 2009 CC rated it did not like it
Another read-aloud I did for my family, I pushed my way through this book hating most every page. I didn't care for Robinson Crusoe but the book I read contained the further adventures of him without me realizing these adventures were part of a different book. I don't want to go on anymore adventures with Robinson Crusoe--ever.
Noussaiba
Feb 24, 2014 Noussaiba rated it really liked it
well ...it's so interesting i imagined myself that i'm crusoe in this book ..full of adventures and actions ... 5 stars for crusoe ...more
Shareen Wornson

Well - although I loved Robinson Crusoe - this book was a little tougher to take. It was good to see that there was more to happen on the island, but I did grow weary of it after a while. If you loved Robinson Crusoe then you probably won't mind reading this book.
John
Feb 07, 2015 John rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
One of the wastes of time/disappointments ever. Removing RC's USP didn't work. From a , one individual on a deserted island he's become a globe trotting capitalist imperialist.Worse he's a proselytising sentious bore. Unforegiveable!
John Pappas
May 26, 2012 John Pappas rated it liked it

More sophisticated in plot than the original, but lacks the character development and trajectory of the previous novel. The uniqueness of the story and freshness of the ideas of the first are dulled here a bit.
Joshua Benfield
Not nearly as good as the first one. If you are going to read it, start it as soon as you finish the first one. I had a rough time finishing the book. It got a little boring towards the end
Jacob Cantwell
Mar 03, 2010 Jacob Cantwell rated it liked it
Robinson Crusoe continues to document his adventures as he comes into a small fortune from his investments but longs to return to governing his kingdom island and see the rest of the world.
Kevin
Jan 10, 2009 Kevin rated it liked it
Shelves: classics
I did not enjoy this one as much as Robinson Crusoe, largely because it was so far-fetched. Defoe had some excellent writing in this book...good adventure story.
♥iDevourBooks♥ ☆Sonic~Obsessed☆
Amazing sequel to Robinson Crusoe! I hope to buy this one soon.
Eric
Aug 17, 2011 Eric rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
As with most sequels, this doesn't come close to the uniqueness and excitement of the original. But it wasn't bad - just not a top classic.
Jānis
Aug 21, 2012 Jānis rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Es pat teiktu, ka pieauguša cilvēka vecumā šī otrā daļa ir foršāka. Kad lasīju Robinsonu Kruzo vēl kā bērns, tad gan tā pirmā bija pats foršums.
Shellah
Mar 23, 2012 Shellah rated it it was ok
I loved the first book. This one was bad and the only reason I gave two stars was because it answers some questions from the first book.
  • Little Women
  • For Whom the Bell Tolls (Sparknotes Literature Guides)
  • Chariots of Fire
  • The Three Musketeers: An Abridgement by Lord Sudley
  • Clarissa Harlowe; or the history of a young lady - Volume 1 (of 9)
  • Blind Man with a Pistol (Harlem Cycle, #8)
  • Tom Jones: Volume 1
  • The Adventures of Peregrine Pickle
  • Aaron's Rod
  • Main Street / Babbitt
  • The Master of Ballantrae
  • In the Heart of the Country
  • ألف ليلة وليلة: المجلد الرابع
  • The Cave
  • Nineteen Seventy Seven (Red Riding, #2)
  • The Life and Death of Harriett Frean
  • Rites of Passage (To the Ends of the Earth, #1)
  • Moby Dick
2007
Daniel Defoe (1659/1661 [?] - 1731) was an English writer, journalist, and spy, who gained enduring fame for his novel Robinson Crusoe. Defoe is notable for being one of the earliest practitioners of the novel and helped popularize the genre in Britain. In some texts he is even referred to as one of the founders, if not the founder, of the English novel. A prolific and versatile writer, he wrote m ...more
More about Daniel Defoe...

Robinson Crusoe (3 books)
  • Robinson Crusoe