Start by marking “The Blind Pig” as Want to Read:
The Blind Pig
Open Preview read ebook

The Blind Pig

3.57 of 5 stars 3.57  ·  rating details  ·  35 ratings  ·  14 reviews
Journalist Angela Anselm investigates a suspicious death in a late 21st century speakeasy, where the moonshine of the times is garlic mash rather than sour mash. She uncovers a conspiracy that could topple the NArc, the government system that keeps everybody healthy with its prescribed, engineered nutrition. How much will she risk to expose the truth?
Published May 21st 2010 by School Street Books (first published April 4th 2010)

To ask other readers questions about The Blind Pig, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Blind Pig

AH
I won this book in a Goodreads First Reads Giveaway.

Have you ever wondered how safe your food really is? Where it comes from? What is being added to your food? In the year 2063, meals are specially synthesized to fit each individual’s personal nutritional needs. Nutrition, not taste or texture, is the key.

In a society plagued by a severe lack of resources, global warming, pollution, and multiple food recalls, the NArc (Nutritional Architecture System) provides its residents specially tailored m
Jeannie Mancini
Set in the near future, journalist Angela Anselm writes an online nutrition column that readers follow from around the world. In a dystopian world of a futuristic Boston metropolis, the NArc (Nutritional Architecture System) is a government operated organization that molecularly assembles every meal to meet each individuals personal nutrition needs based on their current health status. People eating the NArc system food have nanobot computer chips in their wrists to be scanned before each meal i ...more
Alison
Dougherty brilliantly conceives of a future without real food, only NArc-engineered products, such as Neermeat, which keep everyone healthy and are a solution to the unsustainable agriculture of the past.

In a desperate attempt to revive her flailing journalism career, Angela Anselm delves into a food-related death that leads her deep into the underworld of real food-eating rebels and reveals the sinister side of the NArc.

This book is written as a mystery thriller that hurls us into the plotline
Jeff
This is the first time I have read a book by someone I know (though, not super well), so, it is not really fair to "rate" it but I enjoyed it! It's a pretty plausible food-based sci-fi mystery -- it has a slight similarity to 1984, with a tiny hint of a Logan's Run or Philip K. Dick tale, but it is mostly a meditation on science and food.

There was a time when I was young and hated food -- or at least, the physical and even mental energy that goes into preparing food -- and would have been excit
Sheila
This one I adored ! Very plausable. Food for thought - which is the highest award I can give a book.
Liz
Author is a local author and we were lucky to have discussed the book with her at our November bookclub meeting. This is her first book and is a futuristic book where the government is now in charge of people's nutrition and health and what they eat. They have the Cheaters groups, people who secretly eat "Junk Food". The book is based on a reporter trying to figure out why a woman died without cheating on junk food...and the plot has a nice twist to the story.

I found the plot intriguing, as I a
Ze
Imagine a world free of chronic diseases like obesity and diabetes, and maybe even cancers. A place where each ready to eat meal is nutritionally tailored for every individual's needs. Sounds great until journalist Angela Anslem discovers the NArc (Nutritional Architecture System), the system attributed to peoples good health in 2063, might not be doing everything it claims.

As Angela digs to uncover the mystery behind the NArc, readers are introduced to an underground that hasn't completely giv
Debbie
The concept was great, and the author took a lot of care in constructing her futuristic world. Her writing style is very amateur, though, and took away from the story. It was a good story, but she doesn't have the writing skill to build suspense, create complex characters and write dialog, so what could have been a wonderful novel in the spirit of Oryx and Crake and The Sparrow didn't make it.
Ali
Ok, so maybe this isn't "quite" 5 stars, but I loved it, so I'm going with 5.

This book was written for someone like me, so I'm not sure how someone who isn't into the whole locavore, anti-GMO scene might take it. As propoganda? I don't know. I thought it was a great story, and I love dystopian future and food issues, so this was great for me.
Alisa Druzba
I got this book because I met the author at a local event about the future of food and she came up to me afterward. Also it was 99 cents for the Kindle version. It was an interesting story and concept. I wasn't blown away and I didn't really get to know the characters as deeply as I would have liked. But a good idea.
Steve
When I first started with the site, I explored and found the giveaway section. I entered and look I won this book.

It sat on the shelf for a little while, Sorry to the Author.

I really enjoyed this book, and have bought another copy for a Christmas present
Brooke
I received this book through a giveaway on goodreads. I really enjoyed this book. It was definitely thought provoking. I would be interested to read more from this author.
L.C.
Sep 17, 2010 L.C. is currently reading it  ·  review of another edition
I am currently reading this book which I won from a Goodreads First Reads Giveaway. I will write a review on completion.
Donnamacauley
I liked the book. I can totally see this happening to food in the future the way the FDA works now. Scary stuff.
Michele Block
Michele Block marked it as to-read
Jul 17, 2014
Meghan
Meghan added it
Jul 09, 2014
Benni
Benni marked it as to-read
Jun 23, 2014
Don
Don marked it as to-read
May 30, 2014
Josh
Josh marked it as to-read
May 15, 2014
Matthew
Matthew marked it as to-read
Apr 20, 2014
Mallory Heart Reviews
Mallory Heart Reviews marked it as to-read
Apr 20, 2014
Dalene
Dalene added it
Mar 16, 2014
Kally
Kally marked it as to-read
Feb 05, 2014
Hannah DeMaioNewton
Hannah DeMaioNewton marked it as to-read
Feb 18, 2014
Laura Johnson
Laura Johnson marked it as to-read
Dec 19, 2013
meghan
meghan added it
Dec 14, 2013
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
Perfect Cupcakes, Cookies & Muffins Trucks (Snapshot Picture Library) Perfect Cookies Show Mom How (Parenting Magazine): The Handbook for the Brand-New Mom Airplanes (Snapshot Picture Library)