Start by marking “Dialogues of Plato” as Want to Read:
Blank 133x176
Dialogues of Plato

Dialogues of Plato

4.04 of 5 stars 4.04  ·  rating details  ·  535 ratings  ·  39 reviews
The Dialogues of Plato: Apology, Crito, Euthyphro, Phaedo, Protagoras, Meno, Symposium, and Gorgias

"The unexamined life is not worth living."

Socrates' ancient words are still true, and the ideas found in Plato's Dialogues still form the foundation of a thinking person's education. This superb collection contains excellent contemporary translations selected for their clarit
Published 1961 by Washington Square Press

To ask other readers questions about Dialogues of Plato, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Dialogues of Plato

Aug 14, 2007 Mark rated it 1 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: no one
Shelves: other
Socrates says "The unexamined life is not worth living." Yet this book actually shows that an examined dialogue is not worth believing. The general format of the Socratic dialogues is:
Socrates: Incorrect fact #1.
Friend: Obviously, Socrates.
Socrates: Correct fact #2.
Friend: Of course, Socrates.
Socrates: 1 + 2 = 3. And a half.
Friend: You are so wise Socrates.

Since the arguments are so blatantly made up, it is hard to give any credence to the conclusions. Which is a shame because he espouses
R de la Lanza
Escribí el prólogo de esta edición.
Contains Apology, Crito, Phaedo, Protagoras, Meno, Symposium, and Gorgias. In general, these are considered the primary component of Plato's early works, in which he expounds that learned from his teacher Socrates. The arguments seem somewhat simplistic by today's standards, but the style and logic clearly represent the timeless fame rendered to Socrates. In Apology, Socrates willingly accepts indictment and makes his argument. True to his spirit, he makes adequate defense against both classes o ...more
I will read you next time again
the begin The book was interesting, but again and again, It takes much time to read this book, Sorry Plato
Difficult to get through at points, but a good reminder that not much has changed in terms if human society. Also interesting that some of the themes of myths told by socrates are being verified by science today.
Gerald Jerome
This is a decent compilation and intro to some of Plato's dialogues, though The Republic has been reduced to some of its truncated and finer points. One may not always agree with its conclusions, but the most important thing is that the question was raised. The Socratic method is certainly a worthwhile tool for educating one's self as well as cultivating understanding in others. Even so, as evidenced in these dialogues, it can be easily misapplied (assuming that an objective truth is the goal an ...more
Craig Williams
Good god, how I hated this book. A coworker saw me reading this, and was absolutely flabbergasted I was reading it "recreationally". She gave me a high five for my effort, and now I know why: this book is a fucking bear to read. While it was interesting to read how enlightened the Greek civilization was, and some of the political and social ideas of the time, it was also very, very boring. My eyes would glaze over with each page, and my brain would shut down. Socrates was, no doubt, a master of ...more
Benn Peek
I've finished Apology, a dialogue entitled Ion, Phaedro, the subsequnce of the Apology, adn have now finished Book I of Plato's Republic (which still plays into the dialogues, and is not a novel of its own). Socrates has a Christ like demeanor, and to me eerily resembles the Christian messiah, although this may be the work of the interpretor. Main points in the dialogues raise a candle to not only statements in philosophies, but can summarize entire theologies in the process.

The conflicts in Th
Does it count if I have been reading it for a decade or more? It puts me to sleep (perhaps because I read it before bed), and I disagree with Socrates' conclusions on almost everything. It is sometimes funny.

Socrates makes blanket statements about humanity, and consistently convinces his straight man that he is correct, but it seems like sophistry. His generalizations are ideals but not actually true. Whomever he is talking with usually makes generalizations that are not true, either, but he (no
No me cabe la menor duda de que Sócrates era un hombre sabio y muy adelantado para su época y su muerte fue una terrible injusticia, una verdadera lástima ya que hubiera podido aportar aún más.

Yo creo que Sócrates estaba consciente de que era un hombre que poseía cierto saber, pero era humilde, nunca se conformaba con lo que tenía porque veía que le faltaba muchísimo por dominar y deseaba que todos los hombres tuviesen la misma aspiración.

Algo que me pareció infinitamente hermoso es que él apren
It seems the ‘Dialogues of Plato’, is one of the few official accounts of Socrates’ philosophies.
Socrates obviously had no paucity of brains. His peers in Athens knew that well and most revered him and sought his valuable thoughts, bought his arguments and honoured him as an elite philosopher. Yet, the mighty prevailed.
Reading this book, made me realize how some things never change. Might is right and if you are no Socrates, your principles somehow evolve to mirror those of the ‘mighty’ or the
Radit Panjapiyakul
The cleverness of Plato shines through in his writing and his way of proving things. This does not mean that he's always right. His reasonings can be pointed out with many flaws and are not very scientific. Plato argues that there's immortality of the soul (though he should first question if there's such thing as a soul or not). There are lots of talking about gods and the doing of gods. But from the viewpoint of an ancient greek, this could be forgiven.

Many of his ideas are presented here such
Apr 10, 2008 Majormarmot rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Everyone 12+/Mayores de 12
Recommended to Majormarmot by: A friend/Un amigo
En la que es posiblemente la madre de todas las obras filosóficas occidentales, Platón nos muestra en entretenidos diálogos la ideología de su maestro Sócrates, junto con su propia visión del mundo.

Los diálogos permiten apreciar las legendarias discusiones…dije discusiones…debí decir, humillaciones, de Sócrates sobre los sofistas, lo que le da cierta acción a una obra que por lo contrario sería bastante tediosa y cansada.

El objetivo del autor es mostrar al lector una serie de dilemas morales y f
Probablement el segon millor llibre de tots els que he llegit (que són pocs). Aquesta edició de la magnífica col·lecció de divulgació "Sepan cuantos" de l'editorial Porrua de Mèxic compta amb un excel·lent estudi preliminar de Francisco Larroyo, ideal per als que s'apropen a Plató per primer cop.
Maybe the book I ever read (only a few, I'm afraid). This edition from the great "Sepan cuantos" collection from Mexican Editorial Porrua counts with an excellent prelim
M.J. Mandoki
This is a classic and the corner stone of western philosophy. The book is easy to understand and follows a conversational style. I have to remind people, though, that this book cannot be read fast. It requires a lot of thinking and reflection to be truly appreciated.
Lame bargain basement book. Save your dollar.

Tired of Socrates going around meddling in everyone's business. It's actually kind of fun watching him generate a long list of frienemies throughout the city. If he were around today he'd get a dinger in the left eye every time he approached someone to quiz them. Put a sock in a already. Luckily, science has come a long way and much of what was unknown to Plato/Socrates is known today.

Sure, you can put yourself in the context of the times and give th
Dec 10, 2009 Melanie rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: everyone
I only read Symposium. But I did find it comfortable to read which really surprised me for I thought that I would struggle getting through it a bit more. I am planning to read a analyzation on it next. I figure there is a lot I missed in the reading as I didn't analyze everything as I went through it. One thing that I found really kinda cool was how much like a bunch of collage students these guys were drinking, thinking, sexing. I wonder how old they all were. And is that free flow of ideas the ...more
The Dialogues of Plato is a collection of some of the famous philosophical ideals of ancient Greek philosopher Plato. The book caught my eye because I went to ancient Greece this summer, and I thought the book would have have some references to ancient Greek culture. It turned out that the amount of references to ancient Greek culture in the book were minimal, the book spoke mainly of ideas as to how to live your life. The book is a pretty challenging read, it made me think hard of how I live my ...more
I was surprised to learn that Erich Segal was a classics professor. (At Harvard, no less.) Segal's intro is good, but the GR description of this book is wrong -- it's not the Jowett translation throughout. In fact, only Apology and Meno are Jowett; I picked this up to read Seth Benardete's translation of Symposium, and one of my other favorite translators, R.E. Allen, contributed his translation of Euthyphro. I finished those and am working my way through Protagoras. It's a nice selection of dia ...more
Güis Guerrero-Enterría
Sin el no se puede empezar, pero siempre hay que leerlo sabiendo cuando se escribió. Todas las preguntas estan ahí, nuestras preguntas, las dudas, las sospechas. Parece un índice general de la filosofía (no el único índice)(derrida decía que hacer filosofía era mandar postales, cartas de amor, a Platón). Las reflexiones no pierden su brillo. Se le puede leer de una manera o de otra. Las revisiones en clave política nos pueden llevar a lugares oscuros que desgraciadamente conocemos muy bien.
George Slade
I gave this five stars because I really enjoy hearing the mind bending thoughts of classical philosophers. I do not necessarily support every conclusion, but I cannot argue against the strength of the logic put on display in these discussions.

The toughest part for me, as an atheist, is going along with the immortality of the soul and the logic supporting such a thing. Besides this obvious conflict in points of view, seeing how Socrates rationalized and deduced was masterful.
Dialogi są moim zdaniem nierówne - rozważania na tematy społeczne i międzyludzkie (miłość, dzielność, powinność wobec państwa), obrona Sokratesa - są świetne, zarówno ze względu na treść jak i sposób prowadzenia wywodu.
Pojawiające się w dalszych dialogach rozważania dotyczące powstania i natury wszechświata, "historii" Hellenów są niestety mętne i idą w kierunku mitów.
Jako ciekawostkę można zwrócić uwagę na prawdopodobnie najstarszą wzmiankę o zatopionej Atlantydzie.
A must-read for philosophers and theologians alike. The Bantam Classic edition is handy for on-the-go reading, but not so great for deep study, since it includes only some of the Dialogues, translated by various people (including Jowett). Bantam's format leaves out the Stephanus number system that the better, more scholastic editions of the Dialogues include. (Stephanus numbers coordinate the English text with specific lines in the authoritative Greek text.)
Daniel Guzman
Impresionante obra, en especial : "Apologia de Socrates" la mayeutica en todo su esplendor, referencia obligatoria para quien se quiera ilustrar en el arte de la argumentación. A pesar de su antigüedad y algunas concepciones desafortunadas muestra el esplendor de las mentes clasicas en Grecia. Hace ya casi dos décadas que lo aborde por primera vez por cuestiones académicas pero solo hoy comprendo la riqueza de tan bella obra.
Each of these were definitely worth reading, but I just don't sync well with the dialog. For the ideas that overlap with Aristotle, I much prefer his essays, from which I can grasp the concepts more clearly. The dialogues are entertaining as well as educational. Socrates can be an insufferably jerk, and in addition to the syllogism, he seems to have invented the bad analogy and false modesty.
Carlos Arizpe
Lo leí a raíz de una clase de ética en la Facultad. Una de las pocas cosas buenas que hice por motivos escolares. ¿Que puedo decir de este libro? Ademas de que esta lleno de retorica bonita que no sirve para nada, pero no por eso deja de ser sumamente divertido. Es de esos libros que se deberían leer siendo adolescente, no como yo.
Randy O'neal
That Socrates was something else, he had every angle thought of and he loved to debate. Some parts were rather redundant, such as when they gather to hen peck over the meaning of justice... Philosophy is cool but not for everyone.
Oct 16, 2007 Jake rated it 1 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Pretentious People
The only dialogue within this book that I enjoy is "The Apology," mostly because Socrates dies at the end. It is like buying a front row ticket to Nascar, and you know Jeff Gordon is going to crash and die in that race.
Hunter Johnson
Socrates: The Apology of Plato, translated by Benjamin Jowett. Working my way into the Great Books of the Western World, at least according to Encyclopædia Britannica.
Aasem Bakhshi
I don't know if anyone can possibly review or criticize a work like this; suffice it is to say that an unexamined life is still not worth living.
The Unexamined Life 2 3 Sep 25, 2015 07:59AM
  • The Philosophy of Aristotle
  • The Rise of the Greeks
  • Greek Tragedies Vol. 3: Aeschylus: The Eumenides; Sophocles: Philoctetes, Oedipus at Colonus; Euripides: The Bacchae, Alcestis
  • Socrates to Sartre and Beyond: A History of Philosophy with Free Philosophy Powerweb
  • The Empiricists: Locke: Concerning Human Understanding; Berkeley: Principles of Human Knowledge & 3 Dialogues; Hume: Concerning Human Understanding & Concerning Natural Religion
  • Selected Satires
  • Confucian Analects, The Great Learning & The Doctrine of the Mean
  • The Major Works
  • On Law, Morality, and Politics
  • Philosophical Writings of Peirce
  • The First Philosophers: The Presocratics and Sophists
  • Oration on the Dignity of Man
  • Meditations and Other Metaphysical Writings
  • Greek Tragedies, Vol. 2: Aeschylus: The Libation Bearers; Sophocles: Electra; Euripides: Iphigenia in Tauris, Electra, The Trojan Women
  • Thermopylae: The Battle That Changed the World
  • Alexander the Great and the Logistics of the Macedonian Army
  • Women's Life in Greece and Rome: A Source Book in Translation
  • Normas Para el Parque Humano
(Greek: Πλάτων) (Arabic: أفلاطون)
Plato is a Classical Greek philosopher, mathematician, student of Socrates, writer of philosophical dialogues, and founder of the Academy in Athens, the first institution of higher learning in the Western world. Along with his mentor, Socrates, and his student, Aristotle, Plato helped to lay the foundations of Western philosophy and science.

Plato is one of the most
More about Plato...