Start by marking “The Goodness of God: Assurance of Purpose in the Midst of Suffering” as Want to Read:
The Goodness of God: Assurance of Purpose in the Midst of Suffering

The Goodness of God: Assurance of Purpose in the Midst of Suffering

Through Pain and Tears…
Finding a Way to God’s Heart

For those times when we’re wounded by broken trust, assaulted by disease, or victimized by evil—or when we’re crushed to see such things happen to people we love—Randy Alcorn offers something solid to hold onto.

In this specially focused condensation of Alcorn’s If God Is Good…: Faith in the Midst of Suffering and Evil, w
Published August 10th 2010 by Multnomah (first published January 1st 2010)

To ask other readers questions about The Goodness of God, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Goodness of God

Travis Hinkle
A good, brief look at how God works in and why He allows pain and suffering in this world. It never delves too deep into theological waters, but gives good answers, with a good pastoral tone, for those with questions.

Overall, a good introduction if you aren't really well versed in doctrine and theology.

Other reviewers have said it's an abbreviated version of "If God Is Good," so that might be the book to read if you want to pursue the subject further.
Connie
Jan 15, 2011 Connie rated it really liked it
"Where was God when my husband (or anyone you know) died?" Why didn't God cure him? He was a good person." "Where was God when I was abused as a child?" These statements and more are examined by author Randy Alcorn in his book *The Goodness of God*. Although this book is a slim volume it is packed with substance on this complex subject of suffering and evil. Alcorn explains that being a good Christian does not offer a warranty on not suffering in this lifetime: "Genuine faith will be tested by s ...more
Patrick S.
Dec 06, 2012 Patrick S. rated it liked it
Shelves: audio-books
This was a decent enough book on the "problem" of evil/pain/suffering. Alcorn really covers a broad topic and hits at pretty much the major points on the subject. He uses examples of real peoples' experience which lends to a more powerful position of driving home his points. A lot of the personal stories are very heartfelt and moving. They are used with respect and honor and aren't used just to add justification to his points. The one point where I think this book suffers are on some of the meta ...more
Keith
Apr 17, 2011 Keith rated it really liked it
This book is a shorter version of "If God Is Good." (Which I didn't know at the time I started reading it...) I appreciate his view of God's Sovereignty in the midst of suffering, but if you have read "If God Is Good" then you need not pick this one up.

If you have read neither, then this book is definitely a book to read if you are going into, in the midst of, or coming out of a time of difficulty and trials. (Which is all of us at some point or another)

Some of his examples of evil are one's tha
Ruthe Turner
Mar 07, 2016 Ruthe Turner rated it it was amazing
"The Goodness of God" is written in response to the question, "If God is Good, why does He allow suffering and evil in the world? " Alcorn shows that this question is even addressed in the Bible itself "How Long O Lord...why do you tolerate wrong" (Habakkuk 1:2-3). Alcorn compares the Christian Biblical viewpoint against other world views. While we cannot completely know and understand the place of evil in this life, we can know and trust God who is working on our behalf, a God who loves and com ...more
Robert Sutherland
Dec 19, 2015 Robert Sutherland rated it it was amazing
This was my first book by Randy Alcorn, and I was impressed. In a condensed version of a larger work, "If God is Good..." Alcorn attempts to answer the problem of evil in the world. It is an excellent work that is very accessible and full of highlights. While it may or may not convert the skeptic who asks "Where is God when suffering happens?" it does provide honest responses to those questions. Sometimes the answer is "we're too limited to understand." The work is not a cop out, because he genu ...more
Bethany F.
Jan 19, 2011 Bethany F. rated it really liked it
Short, direct chapters that end up covering all sort of subjects.
After all, if we don't believe in God's "goodness" we certainly have a messed idea of everything that following Him means.

He addresses many basic doctrinal issues, uses stories as illustrations, and tells stories of real suffering people.

Well written, poignant, and often convicting.

See full review http://theerraticmuse.blogspot.com/20...
Naomi Porter
Apr 07, 2011 Naomi Porter rated it really liked it
I enjoyed this book, listened to it in my car. I think He did a good job dealing with difficult questions in a way that doesn't minimized pain while still exalting God's sovereignty. A good book for those who struggle with the question of why God allows suffering (isn't that all of us?).
Richard Minor
Jul 31, 2015 Richard Minor rated it really liked it
This was a very good and small book about suffering, God, and how we respond.
Josh Smetzer
Jun 07, 2012 Josh Smetzer rated it really liked it
Shorter, more direct chapters than his book "If God Is Good". Nice insights into the topic of suffering.
Clara Dearmore Strom
Apr 12, 2011 Clara Dearmore Strom rated it it was amazing
Shelves: non-fiction
As usual, Randy Alcorn is spot on. This is a book to give to people who are going through a tough time. Way better than throwing Romans 8:28 at them.
Abigail
Mar 31, 2016 Abigail rated it it was amazing
Every Christian, or suffering person should read this book. It was so helpful.
Angelyn Vaughan
Dec 28, 2015 Angelyn Vaughan rated it it was amazing
This book is rich in theology and scripture. Alcorn empathizes with readers' suffering, but still points us to hard truths - especially that God may not give us answers, but he gives us himself.
Tara
Sep 14, 2012 Tara rated it it was amazing
Very comforting.
Erin Steckler
Sep 02, 2011 Erin Steckler rated it it was amazing
Absolutely amazing.
Michael
Michael rated it liked it
Jan 03, 2016
Dr. Maureen  Sutlive Taylor
Dr. Maureen Sutlive Taylor rated it it was amazing
Jan 16, 2016
Jessica Mcginnity
Jessica Mcginnity rated it it was amazing
Aug 18, 2014
Conrad
Conrad rated it liked it
Apr 04, 2016
Travis Jones
Travis Jones rated it it was amazing
Oct 12, 2016
Kelly
Kelly rated it really liked it
Nov 27, 2016
Cary Nack
Cary Nack rated it it was amazing
Jun 02, 2016
Patrick
Patrick rated it it was ok
Jun 06, 2011
April Corlew
April Corlew rated it it was amazing
Jan 02, 2015
Michael
Michael rated it it was ok
Jan 07, 2016
Gabi Dunn
Gabi Dunn rated it really liked it
Oct 08, 2014
Don
Don rated it liked it
Jul 26, 2015
Jacque
Jacque rated it really liked it
Feb 20, 2016
Ashley
Ashley rated it liked it
Apr 01, 2014
Beth Zimmerman
Beth Zimmerman rated it it was amazing
Jan 11, 2014
« previous 1 3 next »
Randy Alcorn is the founder of Eternal Perspective Ministries (EPM), a nonprofit organization dedicated to teaching biblical truth and drawing attention to the needy and how to help them. EPM exists to meet the needs of the unreached, unfed, unborn, uneducated, unreconciled and unsupported people around the world.

"My ministry focus is communicating the strategic importance of using our earthly tim
More about Randy Alcorn...