Start by marking “Aphrodite's Blessings: Love Stories from the Greek Myths” as Want to Read:
Aphrodite's Blessings: Love Stories from the Greek Myths

Aphrodite's Blessings: Love Stories from the Greek Myths

The goddess Aphrodite was adored and feared by gods and mortals alike; none were immune to her power. Young lovers offered gifts and prayers to her, the goddess of love and beauty, in hopes of receiving her blessings....Content as one of the best athletes in her father's kingdom, Atalanta rebels against attempts at an arranged marriage. What she doesn't know is that ...more
Published March 1st 2002 by Atheneum Books

To ask other readers questions about Aphrodite's Blessings, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Aphrodite's Blessings

American Gods by Neil GaimanDaughter of the Forest by Juliet MarillierGood Omens by Terry PratchettThe Once and Future King by T.H. WhiteElla Enchanted by Gail Carson Levine
Myth and Folktale Retellings
69th out of 449 books — 450 voters
The Lightning Thief by Rick RiordanThe Last Olympian by Rick RiordanThe Battle of the Labyrinth by Rick RiordanThe Titan's Curse by Rick RiordanThe Sea of Monsters by Rick Riordan
Books with Greek mythology references
148th out of 403 books — 522 voters

More lists with this book...

Ashley
This was a decent enough book considering they made the stories pretty fluffy. Everyone got their happy ending.
I think my favorite story was Psyche because it had the most interaction with the gods. I mean, Eros was a major factor, and this is the only story in the three where we actually see Aphrodite.
Kylara Jensen
What the ?!!!

I apparently read this book back in 2005, but I have no memory of anything about it.

OMG, I was so weird back then.
Danni
Feb 01, 2008 Danni rated it it was ok
it was cute.
Scaevola Maro
Apr 02, 2012 Scaevola Maro rated it it was amazing
When a young princess is turned into the top runner in her land by her father, her aunt considers her marriage privilages, but all the girl wants is to be free. Princess of Ithaca, Atalanta, finds a compromise to suit all sides, when her father holds a race to outrun Atalanta, marry her, and gain the kingdom of Ithaca, or lose and pay the price with his life. After thousands of contests, one young man starts to realize the issue with specific sacrifices to "wrong" gods. He decides he knows the ...more
Estela
May 27, 2015 Estela rated it liked it
The book currently read is Aphrodite’s Blessings by Clemence McLaren. An original and fresh book that contains three Greek love stories. The first story, a young female athlete has to compete with other male candidates to determine who will be her future husband but if the boy loose he gets killed. Atalanta, the young girl does not know that Aphrodite will help her in one of the races. The second story talks about a girl named Andromeda whose beauty is beyond any goddess. Her father obliges her ...more
Nix
Oct 31, 2010 Nix rated it really liked it
Title: Aphrodite's Blessings

Subtitle: Love Stories from the Greek Myths

Author: Clemence McLaren

Summary: This is a compilation of three retellings of Greek myths about love and the goddess of love, Aphrodite. They are told in first person, from the view of the heroine. One retells the story of how Atalanta outran everyone except for one clever young man who thought to ask the goddess of love herself. Then there's the story of Andromeda insisting on marrying Perseus after he saved her from the vil
Kayla Baker
Feb 13, 2015 Kayla Baker rated it really liked it
Shelves: books-1-12
This is a book of three short stories based on Greek myths. Each story is about love. Each story speaks directly about the types of relationships people had in ancient Greece.

The first is about a king who did not have a son. When his wife died giving birth to a daughter he decided to raise her as a boy. By doing this she is allowed many more freedoms than the other women receive.

Andromeda in the next story does not like the choice made for her about whom she was to marry. The Goddess does step
Hollydabchotmail.com
Aug 29, 2008 Hollydabchotmail.com rated it it was amazing
This is a book about Greek myths. I absolutely loved this novel. It is a book I will want to read again. This might be more of a girl book. There are three love stories in this novel, all which are outstanding (Atlanta-the runner, Andromena- Her father has an arranged marriage for her, so that he can have an alliance with her new husband’s country, and Psyche-so beautiful people worship her instead of the goddess Aphrodite.) There is a marriage night, but it did not seem horrible to me. I would ...more
Tiffany
Jan 17, 2016 Tiffany marked it as to-read
This was a cute retelling of three good stories. I've always loved the story of Psyche, how even an immortal god can fall in love, and McLaren told it well. I also liked Andromeda's story- it was never quite explained in other books why she came to be chained to a rock. Atlanta's story was the only semi-uninteresting one, but that was perhaps because I'd read a version of her story quite recently. Yet even that one had an interesting twist, and McLaren gave a depth of characterization to all of ...more
May 30, 2011 Jennifer rated it really liked it
Shelves: airplane-books
I read this forever ago but the stories have stuck with me for a long time, even though I couldn't remember the title until now. I love how the author makes the mythologies all about the women for a change. In particular, though, this is the best, best rendition of the Cupid and Psyche story I've ever come across - the most charmingly, meet-cute romantic of them all (and believe me, I've read a ton of Cupid and Psyche stories, even translated one of my own back in the day). I sort of want to ...more
Kendra
Apr 25, 2013 Kendra rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2013
This book was great and very good but for girls that like romantic stories and love, I would say guys should read this. Atalanta was my favorite character because she is strong willed and wont let anyone get in the way of her. My lest favorite character is Leonides because he is arrogant and full of him self. The ending was great and very thrilling. It was thrilling threw out the whole book, there was some boring parts though.
May
Sep 07, 2016 May rated it really liked it
This was quite good, but since I am well versed (cough, cough, obsessed) in Greek Mythology, there were some aspects of the retellings that didn't match up with the actual myths I had read. Still, it was explained in the author's note at the end but I have to admit it still bugged me a little. It was one of the better retellings I've read so far and it's great that the myths were told from a woman's point of view.
Scottsdale Public Library
A wonderful read for February, this compilation of short stories celebrates three ancient Greek heroines and their pathways to love.
Atalanta must race the men of her kingdown, not knowing that the loser will be put to death; Andromeda must pay the price for her mother's reckless boasts; and Psyche must learn to trust, or lose her only hope of happiness.
These three goddesses will win you over with their strength, determination, and hopefulness.

-- Tiffany J. --
emma grace
This was pretty good. The retellings were very short and sweet; nothing really special, seemed specifically written for romance novel afficianados. (Something which I am not.) I did like the second story; the one about Andromeda and Perseus.

In the afterward, the auithor expressed some opinions which I do not agree with, so that kind of knocked down the book a few notches for me.
Tori
Jul 25, 2011 Tori added it
2008- Contains three short ""teen friendly"" versions of Greek myths. The tales include the stories of Atalanta, Andromeda and Psyche. The first story, of Atalanta, was my favorite, I felt she was the strongest character. Also note that the author changed some details, which she talks about in the author notes at the end.
Alex
Aug 11, 2014 Alex rated it liked it
This book featured three young girls from the Greek myths who dared to follow their own love path. It was a cute and quick read, nothing special. The stories were all a bit shallow, I was hoping for a bit more meat to the characters.
Lindsey
Oct 26, 2008 Lindsey rated it liked it
Shelves: school-2k8-2k9
This is a collection of three short stories about Greek god's and goddesses. It is a very cute selection of stories in finding love and what I took to be an interesting look at gender relations. Quick read, accessible to all readers.
Kripa
Sep 28, 2013 Kripa rated it really liked it
This book contains stories from the Greek times in which Aphrodite interfered. Sometimes she helped and sometimes, she hurt. You never knew. This book is suspenseful and is about Aphrodite and what she did. I would recommend it to people who like Greek mythology and Greek stories.
Veeska
Dec 22, 2008 Veeska rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: greek myth fans who like romance
I really liked this three volume book. They were three known stories of Greek myth girls. My favorite of the three was Psyche, the last “book,” but they were all good. Maybe I liked that one because it was the only one I hadn’t read yet. I don’t know. All I know is that they were good.
Vicki ~ no time to read
The stories were really cute and well written. I've always been interested in Greek mythology and I had heard about some of the women in the stories, but I'd never known the actual tales. I liked how it was all about women for a change - and that they all had a happy ending!
Regina
Oct 05, 2011 Regina rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2010-before
its short and sweet. i liked the tales about each woman and their love story. nothing new to the stories except a tweak here and there in the plot but i liked how each girl was given a voice of her own. i think atalanta's story was really cute.
Amber
Mar 10, 2010 Amber rated it really liked it
it was cute. nothing terribly special but wonderfully written. Clemence McLaren is a talented storyteller.
Megan
Feb 10, 2009 Megan rated it did not like it
this is the book sarah was making fun of in the library. i'd call it a mix of 90% chic-flic and 10% greek mytholgy
Rachel
Sep 10, 2014 Rachel rated it liked it
Shelves: tween-books
The first (out of 3) stories was really good, the other two were just okay. It was a fun, easy read though. :)
Becca Sevy
Dec 25, 2010 Becca Sevy rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Love Love Love!!!!!!!!!!!! I am sick and tired of seeing that WORD!!!!!!!!
other then that it was a good book :)
Kathryn
Feb 28, 2009 Kathryn rated it liked it
I read it a long time ago, like 5 years but i remember I liked. I don't know, I don't have an opinion. I was like 14.
Кристина Лушникова
I really love the stories in this book. All of them are so amazing. I've read them all multiple times, and I can't stop reading them. So good!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Abi
May 01, 2015 Abi rated it really liked it
Shelves: na, greek-mythology
I liked this book. 4.5 Stars because Psyche's story wasn't as good as the other two stories. But overall, a good, quick read.
Alexandra
Jun 10, 2009 Alexandra rated it really liked it
Shelves: on-the-wall
I liked this book because it had stories that I could easily love, stories full of classical culture, rebellious heroines, and interesting plots.
Ashleigh Cartmill
Apr 18, 2009 Ashleigh Cartmill rated it it was amazing
I love Greek mythology and I love romance, so this book was great for me. I love how the author lets us see the woman's side of the story.
  • Cupid: A Tale of Love and Desire
  • Lost in the Labyrinth
  • Quiver
  • Dusssie
  • Ithaka
  • Snakehead
  • Goddess of Yesterday
  • Have a Hot Time, Hades! (Myth-O-Mania, #1)
  • The Fire of Ares (Spartan Warrior, #1)
  • Radiant Darkness
  • Curses, Inc. and Other Stories
  • The Fourth Queen (The Empyrical Tales, #1)
  • After the Fall: A Novel
  • Five Plays: Antigone, Eurydice, The Ermine, The Rehearsal, Romeo and Jeannette
  • The Jumbee
  • Sirena
  • City of Fire (City Trilogy, #1)
  • Odysseus in the Serpent Maze (Young Heroes, #1)
Clemence McLaren was born in New Jersey on November 3, 1938 to Edward Dobson, an engineer, and Grayce Berg Dobson. She attended Rutgers University from which she received a degree in 1960. In the same year she married Robert McLaren. Together, the couple had two children, Kevin and Heather.

For a number of years she and her husband taught overseas. During this time they built a cottage on a small G
More about Clemence McLaren...