Start by marking “Speaking Freely: Trials of the First Amendment” as Want to Read:
Speaking Freely: Trials of the First Amendment

Speaking Freely: Trials of the First Amendment

The rights guaranteed in the First Amendment--including freedom of expression--are among the fundamental touchstones of our democracy. In Speaking Freely, Floyd Abrams, who for over thirty years has been our most eloquent and respected advocate for uncensored expression, recounts some of the major cases of his remarkable career--landmark trials and Supreme Court arguments ...more
Published April 4th 2006 by Penguin Books (first published April 7th 2005)

To ask other readers questions about Speaking Freely, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Speaking Freely

Ethan Cramer-Flood
If you're a nerd about freedom of speech and the press, especially since the Nixon era, this book is for you. Floyd Abrams litigated a disproportionate number of the most important first amendment cases to come before the Supreme Court in the last 40 years. He's a stud, to be sure.

He's a competent, if not mind blowing, storyteller. He tries to give even handed accounts of the debates at hand, but largely fails. However, since he's almost always on the right side of my personal beliefs, I let it
Moody
Mar 13, 2008 Moody rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
An inciteful examination of key modern cases that have shaped First Amendment jurisprudence.

I took a three week break from this book, and at my return, I discovered no way for me to proceed without rereading (skimming) the first sixty pages. Additionally, I imagine the casual reader might not find the same satisfaction at the sweet, nuanced legal triumphs, as others. That being said, it flowed surprisingly well.

The discussion of First Amendment principles significantly broadened my understanding
Ariane
Mar 08, 2010 Ariane rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is a brilliant book. I find the part about the Pentagon Papers most compelling. The release of the Pentagon Papers failed to end the war in Vietnam and it did little to reinvigorate the moribund anti-war movement. We are 35 years away from the end of Vietnam, and yet we seem to have learned nothing from the lessons of the Pentagon Papers, or from that war.

What do we have now? JSOC secret prisons. Political assassinations. Wars whose purpose to change the forms of government in other countri
Josh
Jul 08, 2013 Josh rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Interesting behind-the-scenes memoir of a die-hard first amendment defender that is a worthwhile read for anyone who would like to know how some of the most important free speech cases were argued and decided.
Cathy
Oct 22, 2007 Cathy rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Fascinating!!
Vaughn
Aug 01, 2007 Vaughn rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: lawandpolitics
A very important book that points out the flaws of the system and makes me want to get into law even more.
Jackie
Apr 03, 2008 Jackie rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Great book that describes a few of the trials dealing with the first amendment that the author has been a part of.
James
James rated it liked it
Sep 11, 2015
Marta
Marta rated it really liked it
Feb 16, 2010
Jesse Liberty
Jesse Liberty rated it really liked it
Jun 30, 2014
Jun
Jun rated it really liked it
Jul 27, 2011
Allan
Allan rated it liked it
Oct 23, 2009
Becky Sharp
Becky Sharp rated it really liked it
Aug 21, 2007
Clay Hatcher
Clay Hatcher rated it it was amazing
Oct 19, 2015
Karia Solano
Karia Solano rated it it was amazing
Feb 15, 2009
Josh Bunting
Josh Bunting rated it liked it
Feb 23, 2015
Patrick
Patrick rated it liked it
Mar 23, 2014
Schuyler
Schuyler rated it really liked it
May 19, 2007
PJ Konnor
PJ Konnor rated it it was ok
Jan 07, 2010
Jonathan
Jonathan rated it it was amazing
Feb 05, 2015
Nora
Nora rated it it was ok
Nov 17, 2007
Jaci
Jaci rated it liked it
Jul 19, 2011
Roy
Roy rated it it was amazing
Nov 03, 2013
Michelle
Sep 25, 2007 Michelle rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Totally amazing, but for First Amendment Law junkies only.
Sara Blevins
Sara Blevins rated it it was amazing
Sep 16, 2012
Andrew Sullivan
Andrew Sullivan rated it really liked it
Nov 28, 2007
Lauren
Lauren rated it liked it
Aug 23, 2013
Evan
Evan rated it it was amazing
Nov 15, 2014
Christopher Eastwood
Christopher Eastwood rated it really liked it
Jan 20, 2014
« previous 1 3 next »
Floyd Abrams is a partner at Cahill, Gordon & Reindel in New York City. Described by Senator Daniel Patrick Moynihan as the “most significant First Amendment lawyer of our age,” Abrams is currently the William J. Brennan Visiting Professor at the Columbia University Graduate School of Journalism.
More about Floyd Abrams...