Start by marking “Blood and Memory (The Quickening, #2)” as Want to Read:
Blood and Memory (The Quickening, #2)

Blood and Memory (The Quickening #2)

3.92 of 5 stars 3.92  ·  rating details  ·  2,049 ratings  ·  43 reviews
The fate of nations hangs
in precarious balance
as a young soldier urgently
seeks answers to a
sinister blessing . . .

General Wyl Thirsk of Morgravia has seen his best friend slain, his sister tortured, and his mentor consigned to a certain death -- all at the sadistic whim of his sovereign, King Celimus. Now Celimus hungrily eyes the neighboring realm, Briavel, and its in
Unknown Binding, 448 pages
Published June 27th 2006 by Harper Voyager (first published 2003)

To ask other readers questions about Blood and Memory, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Blood and Memory

Sabriel by Garth NixDaughter of the Forest by Juliet MarillierLirael by Garth NixThe Magicians' Guild by Trudi CanavanObernewtyn by Isobelle Carmody
Best Australian Fantasy Reads
85th out of 220 books — 141 voters
The Left Hand of Darkness by Ursula K. Le GuinMiddlesex by Jeffrey EugenidesOrlando by Virginia WoolfTipping the Velvet by Sarah WatersTwelfth Night by William Shakespeare
Best Gender-Bending Books
209th out of 288 books — 223 voters

More lists with this book...

Lowed
Jul 29, 2011 Lowed rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: fans of fantasy genre
Shelves: books-read-2011
This was way better than I have anticipated. I gave this a four for killing the SISTER! THE DAMN SISTER who became a victim of the quickening.

Well, half goes to the sister. And half goes to that hideous father of Myrren.

Am emotionally distraught right now. But am still willing to read the last book to find out about Celimus. May his soul rot in hell!. =)
Shayne
If you liked the first book of this series, Myrrens Gift, then you know you felt obligated to buy this almost immediately after. Fiona Macintosh keeps surprises hidden for what's either best or worse to come. I thoroughly enjoyed how easily it picked up from the first book as well rather than the usual explaining of what happened in the first book for the first 50 something odd pages. She took no hesitation as to jumping straight back into the seriousness of the series.

I had a hard time putting
Ruth
c2005. Oddly, for a second book of a series, quite a lot happened whilst setting up for the forthcoming book. Had some unusual twists that I was not expecting. The style of writing was even better than the first book. Loving it......Poor old Wyl (and Faryl and Ylena) and what about Lothryn? Fynch and Knave - a wonderful partnership and the new character of Aremys (reminiscent of The Three Musketeers) Who would have thought something like this could have happened to Lothryn? ? All the characters ...more
Aelvana
Having discovered Myrren's gift keeps on giving, Wyl is determined to get some answers. Now a woman, he finds the world a stranger place than he imagined---and like before, he ends up crossing Celimus. Wyl is desperate to protect Ylena and Vanlentyna, yet all of his plans keep twisting up on themselves. And Celimus is hardly idle: though he hasn't begun to suspect Wyl's true identity, he has no problem identifying Wyl's current identities are dead set against him.

Wyl might not need to wait for C
Drake
The first book really should have ended the series; there was a point at which the plot converged so strongly towards a resolution that it almost feels that the story was damaged to prevent it from ending. This book introduces a number of new elements that almost feel as if they belonged in a different series.

Again, worth borrowing, but not buying.
Carolynn
It's books like this that make me enjoy reading so much. I don't think I wanted to put it down from the beginning. It was not your typical second part of a trilogy. There was plenty of action along with exposition. I just started the final book and can't wait to see how the story ends.
Amelia
As usual McIntosh's writing is superb, however unlike her Trinity series by the second book (this book) in The Quickening you can kind of tell where the story is going. No spoilers, however there is really only one avenue for the story to take for it to end well for the characters. That's not to say it isn't worth reading because the story itself is a magnificent bold tale that root for the underdog as he faces multiple adversaries, with a truly evil, and powerful nemesis to round out the story. ...more
Lire-une-passion
ATTENTION SPOILERS DU PREMIER TOME !!!

"En somme, même si j'ai mis du temps à lire ce second tome, j'en ressors très satisfaite, triste, écœurée, en colère contre certains personnages. J'ai aussi été surprise du revirement de certains (surtout un personnage côtoyant de près Celimus, pour ne pas citer son nom) et ai été ravie d'en retrouver d'autres, bien qu'ils soient touchés au plus profond d'eux-mêmes. Je suis curieuse de lire le tome 3 qui m'attend sagement dans ma PAL (merci Binomette ), mais
Swiftsea
If you've read the first book of the Quickening, Myrren's Gift, you would indefinitely proceed with reading Blood and Memory. The 2nd book of the Quickening definitely tests the capability of readers with withstanding the cruel tortures of innocents and near impression of the insignificance of human lives. Myrren's Gift was a chariot ride in comparison, with far less innocent deaths than in Blood and Memory; although most would already presume this was the case from the title of the novel. Fynch ...more
Mily Lou
Mar 29, 2010 Mily Lou rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: To all fantasy readers
Recommended to Mily by: no one
BLOOD MEMORY BOOK TWO BY: FIONA MCINTOSH

I love the Fiona Mcintosh books. This book is about a man and a queen. The main character of the book is named Wyl. He falls in love with a queen. He realizes that he is no match for her, because she is a queen and he is not. Not only that, but he is not the most attractive man in the world. To make the story short, Wyl dies and then takes a body of another man. He does not know how he ended up in another mans body. He realizes that a few years before a gi
T J
The continuing story of Wyl Thirsk has it more twist and turns than a roller coaster. His fate has been set by magic and it will take all his courage to see it through to the end. This is an Epic fantasy at it's best and I for one am looking forward to what the next book brings.
Aaron
Too bad I have this thing about finishing series...Very average fantasy novel - too be honest I'm kind of skimming my way through this one after reading the first book. Kind of annoying all the body switching that goes on - you'd think the best fighter in the land would be able to do a better job of defending himself and keeping himself alive. Although, it is kind of humorous to watch Celimus try to keep up with all of his unwitting double crossing of Wyl.

Wyl (in the guise of the woman assassin
Annemieke
Read this book if you:
+ like a book full of action / betrayal / intrigues / honesty / loyalty
+ interested in middle/old ages, knights, kings and queens
+ never know where the story is heading too
+ when you think you know what's going to happen, half of the time it is going to happen and half of the time you think: "huh, what just happened???"

Don't read this book if you:
- don't like magic / paranormal subjects
- don't like series (it's the second book that prepares for the third and last book)
Even
Ashley
I was really surprised about the twist at the end of this book for Wyl and Fynch. I can't wait to find out if it will be a happily ever after for both of them.
Matt Joslin
Even better than the first book of the series. It is becoming quite the page turner.
Christel Mirassou
Un deuxième tome dans la lignée du premier, alors qu'on aurait pu craindre une petite baisse de régime comme bien souvent dans les sagas. Mise à part une certaine obsession de l'auteur pour le viol, vu que la plus part des protagonistes féminins se font violer, ce qui a tendance à vous laisser avec un certain malaise, l'intrigue est toujours aussi prenante. Notre cher bon Wyl a toujours autant la poisse voire même plus si c'est possible!! Même si l'on se doute de la fin, vu le tournant pris au d ...more
Neill Smith
In Book Two of The Quickening Wyl has learned from Romen’s death that Myrren’s gift is continuing and he is now in the body of Romen’s assassin. He still must protect his sister, Ylena, from Celimus and rescue Lothryn from Cailech and as he moves to do so he discovers new strengths and new knowledge in his new body. Celimus is still moving forward in his suit of Valentyna in order to control Briavel but complications arise when Wyl finds Myrren’s father and comes to understand the intertwining o ...more
Rachael
Good enough read that I bought all three.
Susancrampton
love this trilogy
Monica Hall
Do not bother to read this book, if you haven't read the first. There's too many plot twist, and to many characters to remember. Thankfully, I read this in order. I think what catches you off guard is from the first book's title you think it's about one character, or perhaps two... In this book, you're completely turned dizzy in terms of how the story changes, and how the subplots, become "the" main plot. Courageous undertaking... Again...Do not bother picking up this book, without book one.
Nora
Apr 10, 2010 Nora rated it 2 of 5 stars
Shelves: owned
Audeline
On est emporté du début à la fin! Chaque chapitre nous apporte son lot de suspens, d'intrigues et nous pousse à aller jusque au suivant afin d'en savoir plus. Une découverte en entraînant une autre, on se retrouve à passer des nuits blanches à tourner les pages frénétiquement. Un bon épisode, qui ne fait que nous mettre en appétit pour le dernier volume!
Brandon Golburg
This is the second in a trilogy of first novels by Fiona McIntosh. While it is clear that the author is still working out some kinks in her writing style, the books are still engaging and well done. McIntosh works within very established High Fantasy principles while still managing to surprise the reader from time to time.
Anhelle
Amazing page-turner. It isn't written in the best literary style, but it's easy to read it. I fell in love with the characters and even if you can somehow imagine the ending in the first book, the plot is good enough narrated to entertain the reader.
Amanda Shuttleworth
This is turning out to be a great trilogy. I never would have guessed me becoming a fantasy AND medieval fan. It is a good read and I would definitely say the Characters are well developed and intriguing !
Emma Hansen
The second book in the series. I find that Fiona McIntosh tends to write in a style that causes her characters to come into as much misfortune as possible.
Willem Van Kalsbeek
Een prima middendeel van de reeks
Lindsay
An excellent follow up to Myrren's gift it introduces some wonderful new characters, while retaining the old ones and has some unexpected twists.
Tina
At least five times I stopped, had to re-read and thought "I did not see THAT coming!" Fantastic book. Can't wait to read part 3.
Gina
This was a great continuation of the first book, can't wait to see what happens in the third. Not a book for kids but adults will like it.
  • Warlord (Hythrun Chronicles: Wolfblade Trilogy, #3)
  • The Shining City (Rhiannon's Ride #2)
  • Gilfeather (Isles of Glory, #2)
  • An Echo in Time: Atlantis (The Ancient Future, #2)
  • Gods' Concubine (The Troy Game, #2)
  • Fallowblade (The Crowthistle Chronicles, #4)
Fiona writes best selling historical adventure-romance alongside the heroic-romantic, often brutal, fantasy she built her career upon. She lives in Australia but frequently roams the world meticulously researching the locations and gathering material for her historical novels that have international settings. Her books are published worldwide and in various languages.
Her most recent historical fi
More about Fiona McIntosh...

The Quickening (3 books)
  • Myrren's Gift (The Quickening, #1)
  • Bridge of Souls (The Quickening, #3)
Myrren's Gift (The Quickening, #1) Bridge of Souls (The Quickening, #3) Royal Exile (Valisar, #1) Odalisque (Percheron, #1) Betrayal (Trinity, #1)