Start by marking “Old Bear and His Cub” as Want to Read:
Old Bear and His Cub

Old Bear and His Cub (Old Bear and Little Cub #2)

3.80  ·  Rating Details  ·  397 Ratings  ·  90 Reviews
From the creator of the Gossie and Gertie books comes a playful and charming twist on the relationship between children and the adults who care for them.

Old Bear loves Little Cub with all his heart. He makes sure that Little Cub eats all his porridge, takes a nap during their snowy walk, and wraps his red scarf tightly around his ears. Little Cub doesn't want to be told wh
Published November 11th 2010 by Philomel Books

To ask other readers questions about Old Bear and His Cub, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Old Bear and His Cub

Brent Weeks
Aug 17, 2015 Brent Weeks rated it it was amazing
Shelves: kid-lit
This one’s a cryer. I recommend it for any dad, but especially for single fathers or divorced dads who have their kids sometimes. A simple, sweet story about taking care of your cub and your cub taking care of you.
Kathryn
Jan 29, 2013 Kathryn rated it really liked it
Shelves: winter
A cute story, if slightly too repetitive for my taste, about an old bear and his little cub and how much they love one another. Both are a tad stubborn. Little Cub wants to do lots of fun things--but they are dangerous and Old Bear won't allow it. Because he loves Old Bear, Little Cub stops. But the caring goes both ways, and when Old Bear catches a cold and doesn't want to take care of himself, Little Cub is the one to admonish and nurture. The illustrations are adorable. This could be especial ...more
Tasha
Dec 16, 2010 Tasha rated it it was amazing
Shelves: picture-books
Old Bear and Little Cub live together. Old Bear loves Little Cub with all his heart, and Little Cub loves Old Bear with all of his heart. Old Bear makes sure that Little Cub eats all of his porridge, wears his scarf in the snow, doesn’t get hurt, and takes his nap. But when Old Bear catches a cold from not wearing a scarf himself, it is Little Cub that knows exactly what Old Bear needs to feel better. This is a delight of a book that will have children laughing as the roles reverse between the a ...more
Judy Desetti

Amazon Best Books of the Month, November 2010:

Beautiful wintery illustrations are the perfect background for Old Bear and His Cub. Old Bear and Little Cub love each other with all of their hearts, and their day together revolves around Old Bear ensuring that Little Cub does things that will keep him safe and healthy, like eating his porridge and staying off the rocks. Children will relate to Little Cub’s attempts at independence, while parents will appreciate that Little Cub accepts Old Bear’s
Candice
Mar 10, 2011 Candice rated it liked it
Recommends it for: Sophie
Shelves: picture-books
A sweet and bearutifully illustrated story about an older bear and his feisty little cub. When Old Bear tells Little Cub to eat his porridge, tie his scarf tight or be careful not to fall from the cliff upon which he has climbed, Little Cub replies, "I won't" but Old Bear stares him into compliance. "Old Bear loved his Little Cub with all his heart. Little Cub loved Old Bear with all his heart." And despite the contrariness, you can see that this is true. On their walk through the winter snows, ...more
PickinDavis
Apr 12, 2016 PickinDavis rated it did not like it
Junk. Why write a book where 70% of the content is child disobedience but with no reason/morale as to why the child should not disobey?

Here's a example of nearly every page in this book:
Old Bear: Do this
Cub: No
Old Bear: Do it.
Cub: No
Old Bear looks at cub nasty. He does it.

Hmm... I wonder where he learned that. Oh, the next page:

Cub: Do this.
Old Bear: No
Cub: Do it.
Old Bear: No
Cub looks old bear nasty. He does it.

You can write a book about parents and children taking care of each other without eac
babyhippoface
Jan 22, 2013 babyhippoface rated it liked it
Because I love A Christmas Tree for Pyn so much, I was excited to read this when I saw it in the bookstore. I didn't love this one. It wasn't bad, just a little too much repetition of some phrases, and not much story. It would be great for father-child sharing at bedtime, though.
Melissa
Aug 20, 2011 Melissa rated it liked it
Love that caring is a two-way street here, and that the little cub is allowed to know best sometimes. Also appreciate that there is no yelling or arguing or explaining or cajoling or bargaining, just a little bit of "staring hard."
Alyson (Kid Lit Frenzy)
Nov 29, 2012 Alyson (Kid Lit Frenzy) rated it it was amazing
Shelves: picture-book, 2012
I have become a fan of Old Bear and Little Cub
Kristen
Feb 14, 2014 Kristen rated it it was amazing
This story brings together the love between a Old Bear and a Little Cub. Both characters are stubborn but love each other so much that it doesn't get in their way. Old Bear is guiding Little Cub through out the day, correcting negative behaviours or actions. Little Cub finds this slightly hard to swallow but usually comes around. Love between the two bears is constantly displayed through out this adorable story. The illustrations are attractive and invite the audience along with the story.
Kelsey
Old Bear and Little Cub love each other. They always try to take care of each other, even though they argue sometimes. Old Bear tries to keep Little Cub safe during a winter hike. Little Cub tries to help Old Bear get well during a cold. The features a repetitive exchange between the two characters that children can anticipate. The book runs a little long. Also, it doesn't make sense for the bears to be out in the woods during a winter snow storm, instead of hibernating.
Laura Verret
May 16, 2015 Laura Verret rated it really liked it
So, I gotta say, I kinda love this one. It’s exactly the kind of picture book I like – beautifully illustrated, charmingly told, and featuring an adorable relationship, this time between ‘Old Bear and His Cub’.

These two have an unbeatable relationship. In the first half of the book, Old Bear tells Cub to do several things, to which he responds “No”. But after Old Bear gives him a hard stare, Cub hurries up and does it. In the second half of the book, Old Bear catches a cold and Cub tries to take
Oct 17, 2015 Laura rated it really liked it
Shelves: kid-favorites
I would have put 5 stars if it was up to Cecilia and I but I feel that the kids only liked it. not LOVED it. What I really enjoyed about this book was the stuggle with parent and child and how the story reflects that although most times the care and responsibility is with the parent there are also times when the child is right. Breaking down the hierarchies that we say are absolute in parent/child relationships.
Krista
May 26, 2015 Krista rated it really liked it
My family received this book through Dolly Parton's Imagination Library.

This is a sweet, if not a little repetitive children's book featuring a bear and the little cub that he cares for. Like most little ones, this little cub likes to push boundaries and perhaps doesn't like to do what is asked of them without a little fight. In this book we learn that this bit of attitude can can be a two way street It teaches that in the end we advise our loved ones because we care for them greatly.
Margaret
Feb 16, 2015 Margaret rated it really liked it
Recommended to Margaret by: Tipton County Books from Birth
My edition is a Dolly Parton's Imagination Library paperback.

I have fallen in love with the gosling books from Olivier Dunrea, or rather our entire family has (the Enginerd included!). So when our latest Dolly Parton's Imagination Library book for AppleBlossom arrived and it was a new-to-me book from Olivier Dunrea I was delighted. A snow and scarf filled story perfect for this winter time of year. Old Bear And His Cub is another wonderful example of the interactions between caretaker and child
Lindsey
Sep 11, 2013 Lindsey rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: picture-books, kid1
Adorable, like all of Dunrea's books for children. Old Bear spends the day gently correcting Cub's idea of how things will go, emphasizing that some things he doesn't want to do are good for him. But when Old Bear gets sick, the tables are turned as Cub insists that Old Bear get some rest and take care of himself. A great reminder that children are always watching and that sometimes the best teaching moments are when we are also learning.

Lovely illustrations and a quiet story of family love, thi
Jessi
Jun 10, 2014 Jessi rated it it was amazing
The repetitive text and structure of this story make it one of our favorites to read. Though it is a little lengthier than my 2-year-old normally will sit through, he loves listening to the back and forth exchange between old bear and his cub. This is just very sweet, simple, and heartwarming.
Judy
May 07, 2014 Judy rated it really liked it
The story is simple, easy read. It's all very straightforward and the message of love and caring is powerful. The illustrations are gorgeous. I really enjoyed it and my kids seem to as well. They thought it was neat at the end how little cub helped Old Bear feel better and they snuggled in bed!
Rosa Cline
Jun 29, 2015 Rosa Cline rated it it was ok
Recommended to Rosa by: Dolly Parton Imagination Library
This was our monthly book from our Dolly Parton Imagination Library monthly club. This is the first book we've received in the 2 years we've been getting books that I didn't like the book that was sent. I may 'warm' up to it after I read it several times, but the first time reading I did not like it. I does have 'potential' to be good...but throughout the book the little cub tells his old bear (grandpa I guess) that he will not do whatever it is that Grandpa tells him to do. This happens through ...more
Britta
Jan 24, 2014 Britta rated it it was amazing
I adore this book! It captures such a fantastic relationship between a grandpa bear and his grand-cub, playful but caring, firm but loving. The best part is how the tables are turned at the end, and the cub cajoles the grandpa into going to bed and resting when he feels sick even though he doesn't want to. Great dialog for toddlers! Gorgeous but simple illustrations.
Sarah W
Mar 28, 2011 Sarah W rated it really liked it
On the cover, an energetic cub wrapped in a red scarf leaps down into the waiting arms of whiskery Old Bear. Every morning begins with these two sitting down with porridge and Old Bear admonishing the cub to eat it all up. Party way through the story, the cub takes on the role of telling Old Bear what he should be doing to stay well. Old Bear is sent to bed, given tea and read to until he falls fast asleep.

In a story time, kids would have great fun carrying out Old Bear and cub's arguments. This
Atziri
Oct 02, 2011 Atziri rated it it was amazing
This became one of my favorite children's books. Recently published in 2010, the story captures the efforts of a little cub bear attempting to make his own choices, even though Old Bear always tells him what is best. For example, Little Cub and Old Bear go hiking through the woods and Little Cub climbs on top of the rocks. Old Bear is concerned he will fall. Little Cub says he won't, but at the end he listens and climbs down. Old Bear loves his Little Cub and the illustrations in the book even s ...more
Kelly Carey
Sep 08, 2014 Kelly Carey rated it liked it
Shelves: picture-book
Sometime all you need is a hard stare. Old Bear and Little Cub use the instantly recognizable "hard stare" to navigate through a winter day. A lovely snuggle in book that grandparents can share with grandchildren.
Judy
Elements of Bartholomew, Guess How Much I Love You?, Old Pig. Done very sweetly, lightly and simply. A story about love and the parent child relationship. Very reassuring for young ones. A snuggle on the sofa book.
Theresa
Jan 02, 2015 Theresa rated it really liked it
Cute book about an obstinate little bear and old bear. Little bear knows that old bear loves him unconditionally. Old bear gets a cold and little bear proves his love by caring for old bear.
Karen
Nov 27, 2014 Karen rated it liked it
This is a sweet story with beautiful illustrations, and, yet, I didn't really love it. I think because the text ran long on repetition and short on actual story.
Ron
Nov 26, 2014 Ron rated it it was amazing
Every time I read this book to my son (he's 4.5) it just makes me feel good. It is very much like our relationship, and I hope it stays this way forever!
Meg McGregor
Mar 15, 2014 Meg McGregor rated it it was amazing
Shelves: read-to-lexi
This book is sweet and gentle and explores the close relationship between a Grandfather Bear and his Grandson. It will simply melt your heart!
Jody Lewandowski
Old Bear and Little Cub disagree a lot - like parent and child. But the tables are turned when Old Bear gets a cold...
Emily Von pfahl
Feb 11, 2016 Emily Von pfahl rated it really liked it
I just might explode from the cuteness of the illustrations. Very sweet story too.
  • A Bedtime for Bear
  • My Farm Friends
  • Sleepy, Oh So Sleepy
  • I Don't Want a Cool Cat!
  • Read to Tiger
  • Please Take Me For a Walk
  • The Queen of France
  • Little White Rabbit
  • Lola Reads to Leo
Since his debut in 1983, author and illustrator Olivier Dunrea has created a steady stream of picture books, including concept books, stories of family life—modern and ancient—and stories about artists. Many of Dunrea's picture books testify to his love of animals and his interest in archaeology and folklore of the British Isles, and several—including Ravena, The Trow-Wife's Treasure, and Bear Noe ...more
More about Olivier Dunrea...

Old Bear and Little Cub (2 books)
  • Little Cub