Maggie: The Sequel to the Dead Don't Dance

Maggie: The Sequel to the Dead Don't Dance

4.21 of 5 stars 4.21  ·  rating details  ·  1,336 ratings  ·  105 reviews
""When Maggie opened her eyes that New Year's Day some seventeen months ago, I felt like I could see again. The fog lifted off my soul, and for the first time since our son had died and she had gone to sleep some four months, sixteen days, eighteen hours, and nineteen minutes earlier I took a breath deep enough to fill both my lungs.""

Life began again for Dylan Styles when...more
Published September 19th 2006 by Thomas Nelson Publishers

Lolita Hayes
This is the sequel to Martin's book, The Dead Don't Dance.

I beleive that Charles Martin is a powerful voice in today's literary market.
He possesses the ability to add such depth and emotion to his stories, and in that respect makes his characters come alive.

You feel the joys, the sadness, the grief as if you were right there in the tight knit community where his family live. He takes you on an emotional ride of the personal trials of a loving couple who do everything right, and yet life takes t...more
Kelle
Too unrealistic for my taste...i need a break from this author.
Amie
(ever-so-slight spoilers)

I'm having a hard time reviewing this for several reasons. 1st, it is no where near as good as "When Crickets Cry" or it's prequel, "The Dead Don't Dance."

2nd, I had a hard time believing that so very much tragedy (coma, loss of baby, car accident, near-drowning, rape, arson, kidnapping, and repeated assault) could happen to the same few characters in such a tiny town. I almost think that "The Dead Don't Dance" and "Maggie" should have been two completely separate stori...more
Kathy McC
This is the sequel to The Dead Don't Dance, so I was already invested in the characters. Martin maintains the integrity of each of the major characters and the emotional impact of various conflict is powerfully done. Everyone should be lucky enough to find the friendships and love that these characters shared. I will say, this is my least favorite of all Msrtin's books because it was fraught with violence, and I just prefer not to read descriptive violence. But it was a terrific read!
"Love has...more
Lisa
This is a sequel to another book. The first book was much better. I don't think the author should have tried to write a sequel.

Both books are the story of a young couple and how they struggle through various situations. However, in this book, the situations they encounter are quite difficult to believe, and I found it hard to enjoy a story that was so unbelievable.

I also found the author wrote too much to a male audience, though I think he intended the book for a female audience. And in this bo...more
Staci
Ever found a book - other than the Book of Mormon or Bible - that gives you peace? This one and its predecessor did that for me. I'm amazed at Charles Martin's ability to provide such depth into Dylan's love for his wife, Maggie.

This book and the previous one have strong violent scenes that allow Dylan to find additional things to love about his wife.

I suppose the peace comes from knowing that a man could feel this way about his wife and that if it can happen with one man (even if he is fictitio...more
Loretta
I know sequels don't always get good reviews but I really liked this one because I could relate alot to her situations. The depression was right on the money in description and understanding. Maggie's dealing with her fertility problems seemed very real. I had a little trouble with the young girl's pregnancy and having no emotions toward the whole rape ordeal. She took it too much in stride with her religion. The story of the rich person posing as recluse was not something unheard of and in fact...more
Metra Weaver
Good continuation of The Dead Don't Dance. The road to healing can be a long and arduous one, but in the end love endures!
Kathleen Anderson
Wow! What a book! Though it's basically a love story, it has great depth and lots of suspense. I think Charles Martin needs to write a sequel to this book as well. There are many lines that are quotable. I really liked that Martin wrote in the back about his first attempts at getting published, and how he describes his wife's support. When I finish a book like this I usually worry about finding the next book to read that I'll like as much. No problem this time, I have all the Charles Martin book...more
Marliss
I almost didn't read this book because I expected it to be about before The Dead Don't Dance, to which it is a sequel, or about the couple successfully having a baby. But since I want to read all Charles Martin's books, not only because he's one of my favorite authors but because I want to improve my own writing, I went ahead and read it.

What a surprise! Intensely exciting, with lots of action and some mystery. Charles Martin really fleshes out the characters from The Dead Don't Dance. I especi...more
Marzena
Maggie is a sequel to the book which wasn't that great. What we got this time, was author's shooting himself in the knee.

While it has a nice writing and narration, the book is pointless. There's no plot whatsoever, no idea what the plot could be and where it is ok to end it. The protagonist speaks a lot about feelings, but there isn't a moment a reader can truly feel them. From quite enjoyable read it turns to be a forced action book. What did we get in the end? The book that's a bit dull, a lot...more
Melanie
Sequel to "The Dead Don't Dance". This book continues the story of a young couple and their quest for a family. A lot happens to this couple and there is even some action which will have you holding your breath.
Melissa
WONDERFUL!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Eric
While still riveting, I didn't like this book quite as much as the first. Probably because I don't like reading about criminals and violence I guess.

I really liked the descriptions of the grieving and loss and emotional turmoil that the characters went through. Incredibly painful and I felt for them. I like Charles Martin's style of writing quite a lot.

Once again a novel I read super quickly. And I love the hopeful ending.
Ann Miller
Martin's writing is delicious on so many levels--his literary voice, Van Gogh-brilliantly colored and constructed characters, stories that warm the reader's soul. Maggie, the sequel to The Dead Don't Dance, ushers the reader back into Maggie and Dylan's world as they piece together their lives after her coma and the death of their child. I was delighted their eccentric neighbor got a bigger share of the spotlight in Maggie. This book sets the stage for Martin's mastery of memorable secondary cha...more
Amy
I loved the first book so I was a bit surprised that the second didn't resonate in quite the same way. I still enjoyed it and everything but it didn't quite do the first book justice. I love this couple and feel that they are written very real - the good, the bad and the ugly. As someone who struggled with infertility myself, I was surprised that that theme didn't impact me more with this book. For some reason, that fell a bit flat for me. But, overall, a good and solid book.
Andrea
It was good to hear "the rest of the story," but this novel was harder to read than The Dead Don't Dance, with many dark issues being addressed. I think there were just too many different plot strands going--it was hard for me to keep them straight.
Catherine Sandy
A good sequel to The Dead don't Dance. I noticed one glaring discrepancy between info between the Dead don't Dance and Maggie. In Maggie when he and Maggie are trying to adopt a child, he gives his income around 47,000. In the Dead don't Dance, he says he owns 3000 acres. 1500 in pines, 500 he farms and 1000 he leases. Surely at even 50.00 per acre, he would have 50,000 from the lease alone. Neverthe less, it was a good read.
J
Love Charles Martin's way with words, although I don't like the horrid things that happen to his characters.
Kimberly Neely
Not quite as good as The Dead Don't Dance but still a great book from my favorite author.
Julie
By far the best one I've read of his. Really really good.

" Love has its own communication. It's the language of the heart, while it has never been transcribed, has no alphabet, and can't be heard or spoken by voice, it is used by every human on the planet. It is written on our souls, scripted by the finger of God, and we can hear, understand, and speak it with perfection long before we open our eyes for the first time."
Miriam
As all of his books that I've read so far, I loved it! I guess because I could relate to losing a child, trying again and failing, this book really touched me in a way that no other book has ever done. It brought tears to my eyes, but in the end there was hope and so much love. That is what a strong relationship is. It can withstand loss, trials and heart-ache and become stronger in the end.
Kathleen
This is my third book by Charles Martin, and I like reading his work. He puts his characters through some pretty rough times, and they ask hard questions of life, but he comes up with answers that work, for me, anyway. It's nice to read about good people finding strength to deal with tribulation, and while God's hand is clearly there, helping them, He isn't preached to the reader at all.
Bambi
Jan 04, 2008 Bambi rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: anyone who loves Southern fiction
See my other Charles Martin reviews. I think this man is a fabulous writer. He is one of my favorite authors. I have read all five of his books and am waiting patiently (okay, not so patiently) for his next. This one is a sequel so read "The Dead Don't Dance" before you read this one. If you like these two then you have to read his other three...they are even better. Gifted, gifted writer.
Amanda Parker
I enjoyed this book. I really love the characters Dylan and Maggie and their relationship as a married couple who experience so much hardship and have to learn how to heal together. Some of the plot seemed a little unlikely, but overall it was a good story. The author paints such vivid pictures through his writing that you can easily visualize the characters and their surroundings.
Twila

I really enjoyed the sequel to the Dead don't Dance. At first, I had problems getting into the plot of the story, but once I settled in, I was in for the long haul. Charles Martin writes to get a response from you. In each of his books, you will have chance to shed a few tears, a chance to smile, and a chance to feel your heart soar. He did not let me down. Amazing!
Melissa Pollard
The journeys that Charles Martin take you on are phenomenal. His writing is intense, it's real, things we may have experienced ourselves. The books become a therapy of sorts as we cry it out in parts. Maggie was miraculous! After all the pain of loss, there is sunshine in the end. We just have to know where to look for it. I loved this sequel thoroughly. It fed my soul.
LizH
This is the sequel to Dead Don't Dance, and even though I wasn't sure about reading this one, I couldn't help but not because I needed to know how their story continued and ended. Gotta love when a book brings you to tears for the last 50 pages. Yup, once again Charles Martin, your writing is brilliant, making me feel such emotion for people that aren't real.
Hilda
This was the sequel to the book "The Dead Don't Dance", and I think I enjoyed this more than the first book if that is possible because I loved the first book :)

Charles Martin develops the characters even more in this sequel and even though they faced many trials in this story they remain strong in their faith & love for each other and to GOD. So inspirational!
  • Summer of Light
  • Jimmy
  • At the Scent of Water (Second Chances Collection, #3)
  • Healing Stones (Sullivan Crisp, #1)
  • The Will of Wisteria
  • The Beach House
  • A Window to the World
  • Dandelions in a Jelly Jar
  • Gardenias for Breakfast
  • The Yada Yada Prayer Group Gets Caught (Yada Yada Prayer Group, #5)
  • Dogwood
  • Surrender Bay (Nantucket, #1)
  • Stranded in Paradise
  • Summer Breeze (The Four Seasons of a Marriage Series #2)
  • Boo Who
I grew up in Jacksonville, FL, on the St. John’s river. Somewhat of a Huck Finn childhood. Most afternoons were spent mullet fishing, canoeing, pegging cars with overripe tangerines—it really got fun when the red tail lights lit and the reverse gears ground metal on metal, or the backyard Superbowl which we replayed most everyday. Through high school, football was my life. School was the avenue th...more
More about Charles Martin...
When Crickets Cry The Mountain Between Us Chasing Fireflies Where the River Ends Wrapped in Rain: A Novel of Coming Home

“Love has its own communication. It's the language of the heart, while it has never been transcribed, has no alphabet, and can't be heard or spoken by voice, it is used by every human on the planet. It is written on our souls, scripted by the finger of God, and we can hear, understand, and speak it with perfection long before we open our eyes for the first time.” 42 likes
“I watched her—the way her shoulders moved with the tilt of her head, how her smile lit up the six people around her, how her hair, tucked behind her ears, framed her face like baby’s breath. I thought about how the sound of her heart beating sounded the rhythm for our dance atop the magnolia floor. I wanted to tell her all this, but didn’t know how. Just because something is broken doesn’t mean it’s no good. Doesn’t mean you throw it away. It just means it’s broken, and broken is okay. I wanted to tell her that broken is still beautiful, still works, still wakes me in the morning, and at the end of every day past and those to come, I can love broken.” 2 likes