John Wayne: The Man Behind the Myth

John Wayne: The Man Behind the Myth

3.96 of 5 stars 3.96  ·  rating details  ·  114 ratings  ·  15 reviews
No legend ever walked taller than Hollywood icon John Wayne. Now, author Michael Munn's startling new biography sets the record straight on why Wayne didn't serve in World War II, on director John Ford's contribution to Wayne's career, and the mega-star's highs and lows: three failed marriages, and two desperate battles with cancer. Munn also discloses publicly, for the fi...more
Published March 1st 2005 by New American Library (first published June 28th 2003)

Chelsea
Having grown up with John Wayne movies always in my home, there was a place in my heart for this man. But after reading the wonderful book, I have an entirely new respect for him. It was well written and I believe, as accurate as they come. Most of it was straight from John Wayne's mouth and from those closest to him. He told the story wonderfully.
Todd Jensen
While reading a review of True Grit by a friend today, she said she hadn't seen the John Wayne version. Well, that reminded me that I am a big John Wayne fan and grew up watching his movies. Then I remembers that I read this book last year and was way behind on my reviews. So.

Sometimes you don't want to know so much about the stars you grew up idolizing and wanting to be like. I guess it was his characters that I liked so much. Stoic, bold, honest, willing to stand up when everyone else runs fo...more
Anthony Taylor
A very good biography of the iconic actor. It is distinguished from many other biographies by the majority of the book being constructed of direct quotes from colleagues, friends and family rather than interpretations and paraphrases of quotes. This adds more wait to the subject matter and gives a more complete portrait of the man. In addition to this the author managed to conduct a candid interview with Duke in the early 1970's that clearly demonstrates how the actor felt about key events in hi...more
Dana
An admirable and objective biography, a quick and easy read, perfect for a movie lover or a Duke lover. Munn makes no secret of his admiration for JW but presents potentially unflattering details in a fair light. A loving portrait fairly told. I loved it and will likely read it again.
Jeff
If your heroes are flawless don't read this book.

Wayne's "clear-cut sense of right an wrong" on screen didn't always find it's way off screen. If you can accept that you'll enjoy the book for the insights, highlights and trivia it offers on Wayne and his movies.
Gayle
I absolutely loved this book. If anyone is a fan of John Wayne, this would be the biography to read. It goes into details and stories about the Duke that haven't been told anywhere else. Just a little hint, assassins.
Shane
Well-written biography of Duke Wayne. While Wayne was what he was on the big screen, he was much much more--and much much less. Munn's book shows the human frailties and the heroic qualities of America's movie star.
Jeff Carpenter
Discusses many aspects of Wayne the man and the career. Included are the 2 battles with cancer, his marriages, and the contribution that John Ford made to the Duke's career. Great reading for Duke fans.
McKayla
My dad would watch a John Wayne western eveytime it was on TV. You could count on some channels even having a John Wayne weekend. I don't have cable so I am not sure if that is still a thing. We even bonded over the comical aspects of Rio Bravo. That was all I knew of the legend, just what my dad would watch over and over again. The only thing that drew me in was that Stalin tried to have him killed. Then the Chinese followed by the Vietnamese. An interest read to say the least.
Don Halpert
Great biography of John Wayne. Worth the read. I learned a lot about the great man.
Katherine
Interesting background on the man, the movies he made, the people he worked with. Munn used interviews with Duke and family and fellow movie business people to write a book that was interesting without being gossipy and trite. If you're looking for a tell-all or inside gossip, this isn't the book.
James stone
This book is not for those who have put duke on a pedestel, but rather for those who want to know the actual john wayne. This book doesn't hide his warts, but shows his bad choices and reasons for them. I highly recommend this book for all real wayne fans.
Dwight Ternes
This was more a book about John Wayne's relationship w/ Directors and fellow actors, not necessarily about the man and his personal life. Was an OK book, but will not really change your opinion about Wayne based on what is was before reading this.
Selma
Living Legend and American Hero! His films said it all about his Character. Too bad his personal life wasn't alway happy. I enjoy "The Quiet Man" and "True Grit" the best!
Jeremy
John Wayne attacked by commies! truth is better than fiction!
Brian Thompson
Good bio on a great actor
Ker
Ker marked it as to-read
Jul 06, 2014
James
James is currently reading it
Jun 17, 2014
Dipak
Dipak marked it as to-read
Jun 09, 2014
Sophie
Sophie marked it as to-read
Apr 29, 2014
Yasmin Kehret
Yasmin Kehret marked it as to-read
Apr 21, 2014
Danielle
Danielle marked it as to-read
Apr 18, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »
Jimmy Stewart: The Truth Behind The Legend Richard Burton: Prince of Players Steve McQueen: Living on the Edge Jimmy Stewart: The Truth Behind the Legend Sinatra, the Untold Story