Start by marking “DC Comics Year by Year: A Visual Chronicle” as Want to Read:
DC Comics Year by Year: A Visual Chronicle

DC Comics Year by Year: A Visual Chronicle

4.35  ·  Rating Details  ·  186 Ratings  ·  20 Reviews
For more than 70 years, DC Comics has been entertaining children and adults alike. Here, for the first time, is the chronological account of the adventures of both the characters and the company that created them.
The" DC Chronicle Year by Year" traces DC's fascinating story: the company's beginnings as National Allied Publications in the 1934, and its subsequent change t
Published October 18th 2010 by DK Publishing (Dorling Kindersley) (first published September 20th 2010)

To ask other readers questions about DC Comics Year by Year, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about DC Comics Year by Year

Ernest
Jul 28, 2011 Ernest rated it really liked it
This is an amazing work that chronicles the major events, both storytelling and publishing, year by year in the DC universe. This work may overwhelm the casual fan, but for those interested in the history of DC (especially their superhero works), this is a fantastic read. I was entertained, educated and reminisced. I was actually happily surprised (and slightly disturbed) at how much I knew about the works and events discussed, especially as I prefer Marvel over DC.
Patrick
Mar 07, 2015 Patrick rated it it was amazing
A great look at the history of DC comics From its inception to 2011. Overall a plethora of information and knowledge.
Aaron
Mar 25, 2013 Aaron rated it it was amazing
This was a really interesting read. It was also a really HEAVY one. It is a coffee-table style book with thick glossy pages, but that is actually a good thing since it allows the reader to get a really good look at all the graphics that are included on all the pages. Basically, the book is broken down into chapters by year, sections by decade. This allows the reader to get an overview of the most important things that happened in the DC Universe between 1935 and 2010.

The presentation is really
Jessica-Robyn
Nov 07, 2014 Jessica-Robyn rated it really liked it
This DC comics chronicle is fascinating, even for a new girl to the comic book world. Whenever a discussion of DC and its many past adventures pops up in geek conversation it's easy to get really lost, really fast for those of us who haven't been around since the hight of comics. I didn't grow up with DC and I didn't have my very own comics Yoda to teach me the ways of the ever evolving and remastered stories, so coming across DC Comics Year by Year was something I couldn't pass up reading.

When
Trey
Feb 07, 2011 Trey rated it it was ok
I think I enjoyed the idea of reading this book more than actually plowing through it. The earlier years were a little more interesting to me, when I could pick up information I didn't already know. I did learn a few nuggets about the progression of popularity of superhero, romance, war, and funny animal comics, but I think I would have preferred an overview that wasn't created in-house as a tribute to DC's work.

Each decade gets a preview blurb, and as the title suggests, each year in the histor
Brian Taylor
Jan 30, 2015 Brian Taylor rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Everything you wanted to know about DC Comics, from the very beginning up until this book was published. The book is put together very well and is for every type of comic book fan, from newbies all the way to seasoned readers. You can't go wrong with it.
Andy Soria
Jan 15, 2016 Andy Soria rated it it was amazing
its a grate book with fantastic story
Rog Harrison
Mar 15, 2013 Rog Harrison rated it liked it
I have never been a great fan of DC comics though I did read a lot of them in the early 1960s and I did read some of their titles in the late 1980s. I saw this in a bookshop and it looked interesting so I bought a copy. It's a good read and I especially enjoyed the earlier decades as I had come across some of the characters in black and white UK annuals. I was a bit disappointed that some of the titles I had enjoyed were only mentioned in passing but that was hardly surprising.
Chris Aylott
Mar 05, 2011 Chris Aylott rated it liked it
Almost useless as comics history, but a fun visual tour of classic DC characters and covers. One thing that leaps out is that while many of the ideas that DC tried out went nowhere, there were very few years where they didn't come up with at least one lasting character or story. That said, the last 10 years look pretty crappy, with very few new ideas and a lot of overblown crossovers.
M
Jul 31, 2011 M rated it really liked it
This giant volume does what its predecessors could not - finally encapsulate the DC Comics universe. Rather than focusing on characters and stories, this volume highlights each year of the company's existence. Touchstone characters and events and referenced, trivia abounds, and even real-world ties are included. Though hefty in size, it is a great reference volume.
Leslie
Apr 19, 2011 Leslie rated it liked it
DC Comics Year by Year is another coffee table book celebrating DC Comics and its 75 years of publishing. A truly wonderful book with two page spreads chronicling the major (and some minor) story lines and milestones in the comic publisher's history.

Just plain good stuff for the DC Comics fan or fans of the comic book itself.
Erik
May 02, 2015 Erik rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Month by month history of DC Comics from 1935 through 2010. Full of interesting trivia about their most famous characters and stories as well as several forgotten concepts and false starts. It's really interesting to see what was working in each year for mainstream comics. Must have for fans of DC.
Dan Trudeau
Oct 22, 2010 Dan Trudeau rated it really liked it
Shelves: graphic-novels
I own many coffee table books on DC and its characters' histories, including Les Daniels book on the company's first sixty years, and this is the best one I've ever read. The summaries are well written and have just the right amount of insight. The double page spreads are particularly beautiful.
Brian
Dec 28, 2010 Brian rated it really liked it
Shelves: graphic-novel, media
Very well done book that chronicles first appearances, major (& minor) and benchmarks in publishing. It was fun locating when I started reading comics....and when I started buying. The bottom of each page also reports world news items to give further context.
Tym
Feb 28, 2016 Tym rated it really liked it
Got this for Christmas and loved every page of it most of the art was spectacular and the writing was good too, I only wished they had tapped more into their well of C-List characters that would have been fun.
Todd
Oct 14, 2011 Todd rated it it was amazing
A great month-by-month account from the 1930s to 2010 of DC Comics publication. Great format and a great Reference tool for anyone studying History, Pop Culture, or Comics.
Chambers Stevens
Jul 10, 2013 Chambers Stevens rated it really liked it
Shelves: comics
Only for the most hardcore fan.
But if you are hardcore then this is for you.
John
Oct 21, 2014 John rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: comics
An entertaining look at one of the biggest names in comics
John Smith
Sep 04, 2014 John Smith rated it it was amazing
Great History Of DC Comics Hits all the high points.
David
Apr 01, 2012 David rated it it was amazing
Much better than the similar item from Marvel Comics.
Amber
Amber rated it really liked it
Jul 27, 2016
Vanessa
Vanessa is currently reading it
Jul 25, 2016
Ken P
Ken P added it
Jul 24, 2016
Erica Howard
Erica Howard marked it as to-read
Jul 20, 2016
RitaRagu
RitaRagu marked it as to-read
Jul 07, 2016
Valerie
Valerie marked it as to-read
Jun 30, 2016
Sean Goldberg
Sean Goldberg marked it as to-read
Jun 29, 2016
Pankaj
Pankaj marked it as to-read
LG
LG rated it it was amazing
Vinayak Agarwal
Vinayak Agarwal marked it as to-read
  • Marvel Chronicle
  • The DC Comics Encyclopedia
  • X-Men: The Ultimate Guide (Third Edition)
  • DC Comics Ultimate Character Guide
  • Superman: The Complete History
  • Marvel Encyclopedia
  • Star Wars Year by Year: A Visual Chronicle
  • Wonder Woman: Amazon. Hero. Icon.
  • Batman: The World of the Dark Knight
  • Mass Effect 3 Collector's Edition: Prima Official Game Guide
  • DC Comics Covergirls
  • The Film Book
  • The Art of The Avengers
  • Zombies!: An Illustrated History of the Undead
  • Tales to Astonish: Jack Kirby, Stan Lee, and the American Comic Book Revolution
  • The Art and Making of The Dark Knight Trilogy