Start by marking “Carrots and Sticks Don't Work: Build a Culture of Employee Engagement with the Principles of Respect” as Want to Read:

3.88 of 5 stars 3.88  ·  rating details  ·  119 ratings  ·  16 reviews
Advance praise for "Carrots and Sticks Don't Work" ""Paul Marciano provides a wealth of prescriptive advice that absolutely makes sense. You can actually open the book to any chapter and gain ideas for immediate implementation."" -- Beverly Kaye, coauthor of Love 'Em or Lose 'Em

""This book should be in the hands of anyone who has to get work done through other people! It's
Published June 11th 2010 by McGraw-Hill (first published June 9th 2010)

To ask other readers questions about Carrots and Sticks Don't Work, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Carrots and Sticks Don't Work

Jay Ehret
I listened to the audio book version of Carrots and Sticks (could not find that specific edition on Goodreads), and did not enjoy it. The narrator sped read most of the book, slowing down a little only toward the end. It just did not give me enough time to process the information, which I thought was pretty good. However, I wish I would have read the hardcover or paperback version.

The narrator not only read speedily, but also mispronounced several words, which is annoying and distracting. The mo
Pawel Dolega
This is actually pretty good book. Had mixed initial opinions about it at the beginning but it eventually turned out be valuable reading.

For me personally it's especially good as it's main theme is motivation vs increasing engagement. As a founder of small company I realized couple of years ago that motivation doesn't really work (well, it does but only as long a motivational factor exists which logically is neither reasonable nor even possible). Also what I realized is that while motivation inc
Mark
Excellent book, yet some will appreciate it more than others. The progressive leadership concepts are fantastic. Those who are in traditional companies will be able to use MOST of this, and will benefit greatly. The keys are largely around how to fully engage employee and demonstrate (or gain) your care for their well being. Most companies would have an enormous jump in productivity if they took only this book, put the concepts into practice, and incorporated those practices into their culture. ...more
Julie
Easy to understand, straight forward changes to implement. It's an eye opener about the jobs you didn't like. Now I understand why turnover was so low when I was a manager.
L
Maciano argues that reward programs do not work and that employee engagement is the key to performance. There are seven drivers to employee engagement as per the RESPECT model;

Recognition
Empowerment
Supportive feedback
Partnering
Expectations
Consideration
Trust

Each of the seven chapters opens with a self assessment quiz and closes with concrete suggestions for deploying these drivers. The suggestions are realistic and specific useful for anyone who wants to bring out the best in his/her subordinates
Seth
I thought that the most valuable part of this book was that it prompted me to evaluate myself throughout, then gave actionable suggestions for improvement.
Nikunj
Respect is an underestimated value in the organization. Very simple to perform but most rarely done.
Charissa Ong ty
Having read the book that inspired this one, I could tell the huuge difference between the contradicting ideas. This one is obviously better by like a thousand times. It really helped me overcome my not too pleasant attitudes of working with others. Although this book is written for and to working adults, white collar jobs in particular, I could easily apply these advices of RESPECT everywhere I go. Be it freelancing or doing student courseworks. Good book.

Could see that he looks to the future.
Tori
A fascinating study of what causes employees to be "engaged."
Nikunj
Must read for new leaders..
Carrie
Drastically changed how I interact with my staff! I never went to business school or took courses in management. This book makes total sense: employee happiness is just as important as client happiness. In the six months following implementation of some of the SIMPLE tweaks, our turnover has dropped considerably and I have a warmer relationship with my employees. Just awesome. I'm a better manager because of this book.
Elaine Bearden
This author's story is really interesting, and he has used his own experiences to create his RESPECT model for management. Seems really down to earth. Would like to have time to read the whole book.
R-recognition
E-empowerment
S-supportive feedback
P-partnering
E-expectations
C-consideration
T-trust
Angela
Anyone who manages others whether it be one person or a team or department, and all company leaders need to read this book and be reminded of such a simple but meaningful and effective approach to management and leadership based on RESPECT.
Charlotte Osborn-bensaada
So much of this book feels obvious yet is so rarely practiced. What is effective about this book is that the author connects academic theory with real examples and useful steps.
Auntie J
Kindle Daily Deal 9/15/14 $1.99
Allison
I recently read another book on employee engagement and motivation that felt very fluffy to me (although it had good nuggets). This book was much more up my alley. It had scientific backup, real life case studies, and to-the-point ideas and strategies. I appreciated that the author acknowledge d that, as a working manager, I'm extremely busy with my "real work" (exactly how I feel!), so he pointed out specific amounts of time that were reasonable that I should spend on various areas, all while l ...more
Antoinette
Antoinette is currently reading it
May 04, 2015
Lindsay
Lindsay marked it as to-read
Apr 22, 2015
Arief
Arief marked it as to-read
Apr 18, 2015
Olalov
Olalov marked it as to-read
Apr 17, 2015
Sarah is currently reading it
Apr 16, 2015
Janette
Janette marked it as to-read
Apr 14, 2015
Laury
Laury is currently reading it
Jessica Lindgren
Jessica Lindgren marked it as to-read
Megan
Megan marked it as to-read
Diana
Diana marked it as to-read
Apr 09, 2015
Whitney Winslow
Whitney Winslow marked it as to-read
Apr 08, 2015
Jennifer Perry
Jennifer Perry marked it as to-read
Apr 05, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 next »
  • Likeable Business: Why Today's Consumers Demand More and How Leaders Can Deliver
  • How Did That Happen?: Holding People Accountable for Results the Positive, Principled Way
  • Focus: Use Different Ways of Seeing the World for Success and Influence
  • Crazy Bosses: Fully Revised and Updated
  • Executive Toughness: The Mental-Training Program to Increase Your Leadership Performance
  • Teamwork 101: What Every Leader Needs to Know
  • It's Not Just Who You Know: Transform Your Life (and Your Organization) by Turning Colleagues and Contacts into Lasting, Genuine Relationships
  • The Human Side of Enterprise, Annotated Edition
  • Why Work Sucks and How to Fix It: No Schedules, No Meetings, No Joke--the Simple Change That Can Make Your Job Terrific
  • Confidence: How Winning Streaks and Losing Streaks Begin and End
  • You Already Know How to Be Great: A Simple Way to Remove Interference and Unlock Your Greatest Potential
  • Leading the Starbucks Way: 5 Principles for Connecting with Your Customers, Your Products and Your People
  • Appreciative Inquiry: A Positive Revolution in Change
  • Leaders Open Doors: A Radically Simple Leadership Approach to Lift People, Profits, and Performance
  • Quiet Influence: The Introvert's Guide to Making a Difference
  • Maximum Influence: The 12 Universal Laws of Power Persuasion
  • Disney U: How Disney University Develops the World's Most Engaged, Loyal, and Customer-Centric Employees
  • It's Not What You Sell, It's What You Stand For: Why Every Extraordinary Business is Driven by Purpose