Dark Dreams: A Legendary FBI Profiler Examines  Homicide and the Criminal Mind

Dark Dreams: A Legendary FBI Profiler Examines Homicide and the Criminal Mind

4.01 of 5 stars 4.01  ·  rating details  ·  603 ratings  ·  30 reviews
The Evil That Men Do introduced readers to the lifework and the techniques of FBI profiler Roy Hazelwood.

Now, in Dark Dreams, Hazelwood-- writing with bestselling author Stephen G. Michaud-- will take then deep into the minds of his prey, the world's most dangerous sexual criminals, and reveal the extent to which these individuals permeate our society.

Profiler Roy Hazelwoo...more
Published April 1st 2010 by St. Martin's Press (first published July 19th 2001)

Mary
I have always been intrigued by the art of forensics and profiling, as well as the people who follow this career path. It always amazes me how they are able to decipher so much by analyzing materials and the people themselves. It was the motive behind the purchase of this book. I was a little tentative because of the content but I felt that if it was something that I couldn't handle I would just leave it.

Roy Hazelwood writes this book in a way that doesn't overwhelm you with information, his nar...more
Michelle
Hazelwood provides an interesting insight to his line of work in Dark Dreams. However, I somehow felt unfulfilled after having finished the book. There is a certain buildup of intrigue before even cracking it open, but the book is steady reading.

It is an easy read broken into basic anecdotes of crimes Hazelwood has been involved in investigating. It's value is in having an insight into the mind of one of the only professional criminal profilers. However, there are no particular details into the...more
Maggie
A insightful read about some horrendous crimes and the behavioral analysis of some of these offenders who carried out these crimes.
Roy Hazelwood who has spent sixteen years as member of the FBI Behavioral Science Unit brings you through some cases he has worked and gives you a look inside the profile of these criminal minds and what makes them 'tick'
This book pays a lot of attention to sex crimes which RH specialized in. He gives you an in-depth analysis of why people do these crimes. He looks a...more
Stephanie
Dark Dreams offers an in-depth and often troubling look into the minds of some of the most dangerous sexual predators and serial killers of our time. Criminal profiler Roy Hazelwood has dedicated his career to perfect criminal profiling in an effort to create the most accurate picture of potential offenders. Profiling has been used to both discover the warning signs of violent behavior before they become a real threat and to point investigators towards likely suspects in murder cases. Leaving ou...more
James
Crisp, organized, and calmly analytical. I had the good fortune to attend a two-day workshop taught by Roy Hazelwood while working in a prison psychiatric hospital, and it was interesting to compare this book with his in-person presentation - this book reads like a much-expanded version of the notes from that training; he presented a lot of the same case histories and research results, but was less dispassionate in person. There aren't very many psychologists or psychiatrists whose contributions...more
Giornata_di_sole
Il profiler Roy Hazelwood ha lavorato per sedici anni nell'Unità di scienze comportamentali dell'FBI, specializzandosi in crimini sessuali - casi di sadismo sessuale, autoerotismo estremo, pedofilia, necrofilia, stupro e omicidio seriali - che lo hanno messo di fronte a istinti umani più oscuri di quanto avesse mai immaginato e lo hanno costretto a porsi delle domande per rispondere alle quali forse non basta nemmeno un'intera carriera in polizia. Quali individui commettono simili atti? Cosa li...more
Ayesha U
If you are interested in knowing how FBI's Behavioral Science Unit profiles the formidable serial killers, sexual sadists and serial rapist then this is the book for you.

This book also discusses several classifications of sexual offender. By the end of this book, based on MO, you'd be able to tell if particular offender was a ritualistic sexual sadist or just an unorganized, impulsive killer. Whether a killing was homicide, suicide or a dangerous autoeroticism.

In order to define those classific...more
Mats
Not an easy read, Hazelwood really examines the scum of the Earth. I prefer true crime with one big story. Here you get bits and pieces from a whole lot of different cases Hazelwood has worked or consulted on. It gets more structured towards the end and that kept me reading. If you're okay with the magazine article feel of the whole thing, you'll probably like the book.
Justyna
I am interested in criminal profiling and always have been. Specifically, I am interested in the Behavioral Analysis Unit of the FBI. This book is written by one of the founders of that unit and in it are highlighted some memorable cases. The good thing is that an aspect of a sexual crime is mentioned, briefly explained, and given an example. I enjoyed this approach because it made it easier to learn the basics of criminal profiling. In particular, I like to read about the steps used in profilin...more
Crystal
This book was a really disturbing easy read. I tore through all the bloody rape and murder stories, and gobbled up the psychology sections with explanations of the pathology involved in sexual crimes, and the requirements for successful BSU agents, and their methodology for helping capture such criminals. The book seems thorough in covering the issues surrounding it, and the author is clearly knowledgeable as well as a good teacher. I am a bit jumpier since I read this book, more aware of situat...more
Ryan
I bought this on my Kindle last month when I had the flu and wanted only to read an undemanding and lowbrow guilty pleasure. It delivered. As for the serious study of crime it purports to be, forget it. Hazelwood can't decide whether he wants to write an alarmist screed in the vein of Nancy Grace or the kind of gory True Crime paperback that his subjects would enjoy. If you must read this, do yourself a favor later and find Malcolm Gladwell's expose of criminal profiling as flimsy junk science.
Marbles
This book was very intruiging.. I could hardly put it down, and it showed to me the darker corner of a killer's mind that I'd never even imagined... things that were fairly obvious were called to my attention in a "Oh yeah.. that makes sense" continuous fashion. I'll be reading this book over and over and over again.
Karen
I read this in between all my other stories...love it thus far...from a psychological point of view..its interesting to see how our FBI interviews and catagorizes all the different personalities that make up the criminal world....definitely a keeper for my bookshelf....LOVE TRUE CRIME!!!
Luann
A co-worker and partner with John Douglas, famed FBI profiler, Roy Hazelwood gives his accounts of starting the behavioral analysis unit of the FBI. I wasn't as drawn to this author as I was to Douglas - just didn't grab me the same way, but still fascinating information.
Mckenzi Salazar
Completely amazing. The dark twisted look into the criminal mind. Fascinating!
Jacob Dill
Very clinical book. Not a good read for a first time true crime reader. John Douglas' work is more readable for the avg. person that hasn't read a lot of this kind of stuff before. I like this book a lot but I've been into the genre for a while.
Heather
Very hard to read at times, but still interesting. Leads me to want to be more careful in my interactions with strangers. The author seems to truly be an expert in his field. Does contain very disturbing events. Not recommended for everyone.
Angela
Oct 09, 2007 Angela rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Those interested in the criminal mind.
Hazelwood is a fascinating man who has detailed his experiences respectfully with regard to the many victims he has learned from as well as from the criminals he has researched and interviewed personally.
lunaticprophet
*** Another book that profiles serial killers and their crimes. Not as psychologically involved as Keppel's book -- more of a book to capitalize on the genre than to explain it.
Charles
A really good, and disturbing, look into the minds of killers and rapists. Has a lot of psychological information within it and would be great for Forensic Psychologists to read.
Janice
Not for the faint of heart. There are graphic case studies. But, an excellent book if you are interested in abnormal psychology and understanding the criminal mind.
Helen
Expert insight into some very nasty murder cases. Accessible writing style, but not a light subject matter - I'd only really recommend to true-crime buffs.
Jo
Hazelwood explores cases he's worked on that have a sexual element. Mostly interesting but a bit heavy on the psychology at times.
Naomi
Fascinating read. Roy Hazelwood doesn't have the punch to his writing that John Douglas has but his books are still fascinating.
Ann M
Could be better written, but I gave it 5 stars because there really isn't that much, or much that is as good, on the subject.
Sun shine
Mar 10, 2012 Sun shine is currently reading it  ·  review of another edition
Every night since I'm small and I hope to read such a book .. I hope to find what you search for it in my mind
Elizabeth
Awesome book about profiling and crime. So interesting
Ken
If you are into what it takes to be a profiler and don't mind reading about some very disturbing things. This is for you. It is an excellent behind the scenes of profiling
  • The Evil That Men Do: FBI Profiler Roy Hazelwood's Journey into the Minds of Serial Killers
  • The Anatomy of Motive: The FBI's Legendary Mindhunter Explores the Key to Understanding and Catching Violent Criminals
  • Sexual Homicide: Patterns and Motives
  • Erased: Missing Women, Murdered Wives
  • The Jeffrey Dahmer Story: An American Nightmare
  • Cellar of Horror
  • The Last Victim: A True-Life Journey into the Mind of the Serial Killer
Dark Dreams: A Legendary FBI Profiler Examines Homicide and the Criminal Mind Dark Dreams: Sexual Violence, Homicide And The Criminal Mind The Evil That Men Do: FBI Profiler Roy Hazelwood's Journey into the Minds of Serial Killers Jack the Ripper and the Case for Scotland Yard's Prime Suspect