Start by marking “You're Finally Here!” as Want to Read:
You're Finally Here!

You're Finally Here!

Hooray! You're finally here! But where were you? A bunny bounces through a range of emotions in this funny picture book about how difficult it is to wait. At first he's ecstatic that you, the reader, has arrived. But then he can't help letting you know that waiting for you took too long, was way too boring, and even became insulting. The bunny is ready to forgive everythin ...more
Published March 8th 2011 by Hyperion

David
Apr 13, 2011 David rated it it was amazing
You're Finally Here! by Mélanie Watt is another winner among books that break the fourth wall and directly address the reader. A very cute, enthusiastic bunny celebrates the reader finally ariving. Her can't stop himself from wanting to know "Where were you???" and cmoplaining over his rude treatment. After presenting a contract for the reader to sign, promising to stay forever, he ignores the reader while taking cellphone calls until he realizes the reader is leaving.

A very funny, silly look at
Nancy Jo Lambert
May 08, 2011 Nancy Jo Lambert rated it liked it
Well, I had high hopes for this book since it is by Melanie Watt, but ultimately I didn't enjoy it as much as i thought I would. I think kids will like it just fine because it does have that playful, talk to the reader mentality that her other books have.

I think I was just disappointed it didn't have more of a story.The little bunny is talking to the reader because they are so glad the reader is finally here. I found the repetition of the pages where the bunny explains in panels how it feels to
Angie
Mar 12, 2011 Angie rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture
Melanie Watt can do just about as much with a few tweaks of an eyebrow or ear as the other "MW" in the kids' book world.

Love the bunny and his enthusiasm!
Colby Sharp
Jul 25, 2011 Colby Sharp rated it liked it
Shelves: picture-book
Not as good as Scaredy Squirrel, but still a cute little book. I actually found the rabbit in this book to be a little more annoying than necessary.
Janet
Jan 12, 2017 Janet rated it it was ok
the ranting was reminiscent of Mo Willems's pigeon, but didn't really grab the kids. He goes on and on about wanting to spend time with the reader, then gets distracted by his phone.
Erin Reilly-Sanders
The psychotic bunny is kind of funny, in a rather Mo Willems Don't Let the Pigeon Drive the Bus fashion. However, it's not as funny as the Chester books which are just hilarious. This is certainly more of a performance book that may lack in an individual, silent reading. The expressions are engaging and the situations well thought-out for comic impression but I don't understand some of the jumps from angry bunny to nice bunny- there somehow seems to be lacking an impetus for him/her to try the d ...more
Melanie
French-Canadian children's author/illustrator, Melanie Watt, returns with a very Willems-like story. Readers are greeted by a bobblehead-style rabbit who is rather excited that the reader is finally here! Many aspects of waiting and patience are discussed, making this a great story for teaching patience. Waiting, boredom, unfairness, annoyance and rudeness are all part of this story.

On several occasions the rabbit reminds himself that his reproachfulness of the reader is rather rude in itself. H
Tiffany Bates
Oct 02, 2012 Tiffany Bates rated it it was amazing
You're finally here! Is an absolutely adorable book. The bunny is excited that the reader has finally shown up to read the book but ends up getting angry. The bunny questions the readers on where they were. At the end of the book bunny answers the phone and ignores the reader and is sad that the reader is leaving. I loved that the bunny was talking directly to the reader. It was a good way to keep the kids interested.

I would recommend it for preschool to second grade. It is really funny and wil
Alex Fairhill
Oct 19, 2014 Alex Fairhill rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books
The bunny looks cute, but he's not!

Starting and ending on the dust jacket, the rabbit directly addresses the reader, alternating between joyfulness at the reader’s arrival and complaining of waiting, boredom, and rudeness - basically telling the reader off for not reading the book sooner.

He says he’ll stop asking what took so long if the reader signs a contract agreeing to never leave. The rabbit then answers multiple phone calls, ignoring the reader.

This push-pull engages the reader, who conc
Ekassel
Feb 04, 2014 Ekassel rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 642-shelf
Description: A crazy little bunny goes back and forth from being excited to see the reader to being upset that it took so long to show up.

Age level: Pre-k - 2nd grade

Curriculum connection: This book would be a good for a lesson on emotions, because of the bunny's strong emotions portrayed in the book. It would also work for etiquette and being present in the moment, which the bunny does not do as he answers the phone and ignores the reader.

Visual appeal: The pictures are cute and appropriate f
Emi Bevacqua
Apr 10, 2012 Emi Bevacqua rated it did not like it
Recommended to Emi by: a book list!
Shelves: juvenile
There's absolutely no story to this book, I think it's more for the parents to enjoy than the children. I will say the illustrations appeal to any age. However, I have to put on my frowny pants and grump all over Melanie Watt for introducing my girls to such horrifying notions as "sticking gum under the sofa," and "running on carpet with muddy feet." Upon hearing the line, "as unfair as being too short to go on a ride," one of my 4 year olds said, "that's not about fair, that's about safe if a l ...more
Perri Hammershlag
You're Finally Here by Melanie Watt is about a bunny who is waiting for someone, the reader. The bunny talks about long he is waiting, how annoying it is, and how bored he becomes. Eventually, is wait is over and the bunny does not want you to leave. Are you going to stay?

The book automatically engages readers because the Bunny is talking directly to the reader. The book also uses similes, which is a great introduction for younger children. You're Finally Here has elements of a graphic novel, in
Dione Basseri
Tries for a "Cow and Pig" feel, winds up more annoying than Hoops and Yoyo, but I'm speaking more from an adult point of view, here. Kids? Kids may very well love this and demand it be read many times, they seem to do that. But you, as a parent, are probably going to regret this book by the middle of the first reading.

A rabbit berates you for showing up late to the book. It flips between demanding to know where you are and insisting you get to hanging out, until you get to the "twist" ending.

I n
J.F. Sanborn
Jul 09, 2011 J.F. Sanborn rated it really liked it
Melanie Watt's stories are famous for talking directly to their readers. This style engages children and appeals to their imaginations.

As in her Chester books, You're Finally Here is written as a frank conversation between its character and the reader (who cannot get a word in!).

An adorable bunny with eyebrows is SO excited you have finally showed up to read his book, but he still cannot get over his irritation at how long it took you to show up! This bunny expects a very high level of courtes
Barbara
Jun 23, 2011 Barbara rated it really liked it
Shelves: ncbla
I found this book in which the book's character, a bunny, breaks free from the book to address the reader delightful and refreshing. After the reader has been welcomed, the bunny begins to berate him/her, trying to find out what took so long. When a contract between the bunny and the reader is drawn up, negotiations are broken up by a phone call, and the rabbit turns its back on the reader. The book is filled with clever lines. One of my favorites is at the end of the book when the reader is des ...more
Katie
Sep 29, 2012 Katie rated it really liked it
You're Finally Here! by Melanie Watt is such a cute story. A little bunny is the main character, and it was so happy to see me reading this book. The bunny was very bored while waiting for me to read this book, and it definitely let me know how bored he actually got. It was unfair and so rude of me to wait so long to read this book in the bunny's opinion! The author uses a lot of similes to describe how bored Bunny was while waiting not so patiently for me to read the book. This book is intended ...more
Lynn
Mar 05, 2014 Lynn rated it liked it
One of a relatively new format in which the story character directly address the reader, this cutesy little bunny has a wide range of facial expressions. Pastel yellows & oranges remind one of carrots, which the rabbit slyly slides into the 'contract' forced onto the reader to not go away again. But this is soon interrupted by the ringing of a cell phone, not once, but twice, which leads the reader to thoughts of if the rabbit just didn't have anyone 'better' with whom to spend his/her(?) ti ...more
Stephanie Croaning
The beginning of this book reminds me of Mo Willems' Elephant and Piggie book -- WE ARE IN A BOOK! Bunny, the main character, speaks directly to the reader and expresses how excited he is that someone is finally reading his book. He alternates between excitement and then being annoyed that it to the reader so long to get there. While the ending certainly fits today's society, I also felt it was a let-down. For me the book started out about the joy of reading, but the ending was more about techno ...more
Cassie
Apr 13, 2013 Cassie rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-book
From Mélanie Watt, author of Scaredy Squirrel and Chester the Cat comes this adorable bunny! He gets excited to see that you're here, but wait! Where has the reader been all this time?

This would be such a cute book to read for Storytime; the kids would get a definite kick out of it.

Readalikes: We are in a Book! because of reader interaction and Scaredy Squirrel for same writing style.
Gretchen
Apr 05, 2011 Gretchen rated it it was amazing
Shelves: k-3
Description: Hooray! You're finally here!" Bunny exclaims from the first page of this young picture book. Then his mood changes: "Where have you been?" Bunny goes on to demonstrate the many reasons why it is rude to keep someone waiting. Just when it looks as though he has convinced the reader to stay, he takes a cell phone call! This silly book captures the way kids feel about being at the mercy of other people's busy schedules.

Here's my review: CUTE!!!!!

If I was attacked by this bunny every t
Judy Desetti
Jan 22, 2012 Judy Desetti rated it liked it
Shelves: picture-book-k-3
It speaks directly to the reader which I think kids would like. It seemed to be too repetitive for me. I would have liked it better if it had gone into a bit of a storyline. Something with character, setting, and plot. I could have tied the whole audience and storyline together in developing a story and used this with both primary as well as older students.

Just did not grab me enough to make my list.

It is similar to Don't Let the Pigeon Drive the Bus, but why not stick to the original?
Don't Let the Pigeon Drive the Bus! by Mo Willems
Jun 05, 2011 Laura rated it liked it
This book was cute...there were a couple of times where I thought the rabbit was a little annoying, but I think kids will probably think it's funny. The illustations were interesting. I liked the different ways the bunny showed his distain with waiting. The ending was a little random. I felt like it was a little disjointed from the rest of the book, but I might still recommend.

*Taken from my book reviews blog: http://reviewsatmse.blogspot.com/2011...
Allison Parker
Sep 10, 2011 Allison Parker rated it did not like it
Watt has certainly cornered the market on neurotic animal characters! In Scaredy Squirrel we have a hermit character terrified by the outside world. In this book, a bunny rabbit is alternatively thrilled the reader has "arrived" and furious that he has been waiting. Can we say "insecure"? Children may delight in this book. I just found the bunny too much like dysfunctional relationships I try to escape from in children's literature.
Susan
Aug 30, 2015 Susan rated it did not like it
She's kidding right? Why would anyone want to read this book? Who needs to be gratuitously and repeated scolded by a cartoon rabbit for 'being late'? Who wants to be scolded especially when there was no 'appointment' to begin with? Who wants to be scolded by a book? Who wants to be scolded at all?

What is the point of this terrible book?

I did not bother finishing it to find out. The beginning was just too horrible to care if there was even a point to it at all.

I will not be reading anymore book
Dolly
May 20, 2011 Dolly rated it liked it
Recommends it for: parents reading with their children
Shelves: childrens, 2011
This is a funny book, with a lot of interaction between the bunny and the reader. Our girls really enjoyed helping me read the dialogue, especially because this book encourages you to read it loudly! Some of the humor might be lost on younger children; I had to explain some of the similes and although our girls laughed, it lost some of the effect. We discussed how the bunny was quite rude at the end, and how he should have handled the phone call.
Michele Knott
Great book for a read aloud especially if you add some great voice! This poor bunny rabbit has been left alone for awhile...oooh, can you imagine the frustration??? But good news, you have shown up and the bunny is soooo excited!!! But, what's your excuse for not being there???? It goes on and on until the bunny gets a phone call, actually two phone calls and puts you on hold for awhile!
Kids will appreciate the humor of the book and it will make you laugh out loud!
Enjoy!
Alice
May 19, 2015 Alice rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 4-75-stars
4.75 Stars Love Love LOVE this book! It is full of humor that I understand and appreciate! Just a lot of giggling. What I don't like about this book is at the end when the Bunny gets a phone call! I hate when you are talking to someone deep in a conversation and they are like "just a second while I get this..." and then they ignore you! I hate that! Other than than!! I enjoyed this book!!
Ana Grubac  (LibrariAna)
I did not enjoy this book as much as I thought I would. I had high hopes since we are talking about Melanie Watt here. The book is fun, but it cannot compare to the scaredy squirrel books.
In this book, the rabbit is talking to the reader about what took him so long and that he is finally here reading the book. The idea is good, and the book had lots of elements of a great read-aloud, but I found it to repetitive and for that reason, too long.
Heidi-Marie
Classic Melanie Watt humor. I think this would make for a fun read-aloud for school-age. Some of his similes were very funny. The only thing I didn't really like is how occasionally the bunny's eyebrows completely went away. It was a bit "oh!" for me when they showed up again. The ending--oh how I wish so many teens and adults would read it and see the humor, yes, but also the irony and well, the rudeness!!! (And if it were changed to texting--how even more fitting and true it would be!!!!)
Jodie
Sep 02, 2012 Jodie rated it liked it
The story about a bunny who is waiting for "YOU" to arrive. This book could be used a number of ways by teachers. One way is the expressions the bunny uses ~ art idea, another way is the language that gets used to explain how he is feeling about certain things. He states that it is as unfair as being too short to go on a ride. The author uses this numerous times in the story and gives multiple examples ~ writing connections. Pictures are engaging and the students will enjoy them.
  • Big Bear Hug
  • I'm Not.
  • Say Hello to Zorro!
  • The Wrong Book
  • except if
  • No Sleep for the Sheep!
  • Chicks Run Wild
  • My Side of the Car
  • Ernest, the Moose Who Doesn't Fit
  • Tony Baloney
  • Cat Secrets
  • The Boy Who Cried Ninja
It was in a design class taught by Michèle Lemieux at the University of Quebec in Montreal that author and illustrator Mélanie Watt created her first picture book, Leon the Chameleon, which was later published by Kids Can Press. Watt went on to create several more books, including the Learning with Animals collection and Augustine, which was named an ALA Notable Children's Book. Watt has also illu ...more
More about Mélanie Watt...