Start by marking “The Fog” as Want to Read:
The Fog

The Fog

3.86  ·  Rating Details  ·  17,685 Ratings  ·  246 Reviews
One of the most popular and notorious horror novels ever published, The Fog was immediately branded as a needlessly violent hack work, but is now recognized, thanks largely to the efforts of Ramsey Campbell and Stephen King, as a classic. Its tale of government cover-up and catastrophe is oddly prescient. This edition contains a bonus short story, the original 1975 British ...more
Hardcover, First Edition, 360 pages
Published July 19th 2011 by Centipede Press (first published 1975)

⊱ Irena ⊰
Nov 20, 2015 ⊱ Irena ⊰ rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
4.5

I almost stopped reading this. There is this scene in the first part of the book that goes beyond disturbing. I pushed through it though. I was rewarded by a very good book. You see, I was afraid after that scene that it would be one of those shock for the sake of shock books where gory and disgusting scenes are piled up one after another. Fortunately, that is not the case here. Or, at least, I haven't experienced them as such.

The Fog mostly consists of short horrifying scenes where you see w
Adam Light
I have always heard great things about The Fog, so when I finally found a copy of it, I knew I would be in for a treat. Luckily, I managed to avoid any spoilers, so I had no idea what to expect. I love that. I try to avoid blurbs and reviews of boks so I can experience the story with little or no expectations.

This book begins with a bang and, fortunately, this sets off a series of ever louder and more violent bangs. For a book published in 1975, it was surprisingly fresh. There were a few scenes
Lisa
Oct 23, 2015 Lisa rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: horror
STAY AWAY FROM THE FOG OR YOU WILL GO INSANE!!!!!

I am just getting my thoughts together after reading The Fog by James Herbert it was a mind blowing experience to read this author for the first time i must say he is right up there with Stephen King in my opinion i was glued to every word written & at times felt sick reading some of the story, luckily i have a strong stomach it really creeped me out at times but LOVED LOVED LOVED this book READ IF YOU DARE!!!

WARNING only read if you have a s
Greg
Jun 06, 2013 Greg rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: horror
Although dated in certain respects (being published in 1975), I enjoyed this horror/science-fiction novel overall. It is generally fast-paced with strange events already happening within the first few pages - definitely not a slow start! The story deals with a mysterious yellow fog that is blown by winds across the English countryside and whenever humans or other animals come into contact with it, they sooner or later lose their minds and often become extremely violent.

At times, the book is lik
Andrew
Sep 22, 2015 Andrew rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I am sure I have said several times that James Herbert was one of the writers I gained my introduction to horror from (the other being Stephen King). Now at the time a mixture of nativity and a limited range of choices (not sure if that is really the result of the former) meant that second hand markets and rummage sales were the only sources I knew of.

The result was that I devoured the early Herbert's which left a lasting image (or at least to start with) of English horror - it took the likes of
Alex
Apr 05, 2016 Alex rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2016
This guy is sometimes called the British Stephen King; he started writing in the mid 70s, same time as King did. Like King, his books were sortof shocking at the time for their violence. Here's his second and best-known novel, and here's what it's about:
Despite all the technological advances of science, it seemed survival still depended on the action of a man. One man.
Dun dun! The whole thing sounds like that, like the voiceover for the trailer for a shitty movie. But wait I'm not done, I have t
Jon Recluse
Mar 30, 2013 Jon Recluse rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A brilliant hybrid of a novel. Herbert hits all the highpoints that make a great thriller, then casually crosses over into the horror territory he would soon become an acknowledged master of, with scenes that will stay with you to your grave.
David Brian
Dec 07, 2014 David Brian rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This was a re-read for me. I first read The Fog many years ago, and based on memories of being creeped out by the sense of threatening dread within its pages, I'd given it a four star rating. I've now 'bumped' that to a five.
This is early James Herbert; and it's easy to forget how very good his earlier stuff was.
Checkman
Jan 25, 2014 Checkman rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Fans of cheesy horror
I remember looking at this novel when I was a just a kid. Probably about 1977/78 so I would have been nine or ten years old. Just reading the synopsis on the back of the paperback scared me. Throw in the lurid cover art of the New American Library edition and I knew that there was no way in hell my parent's would let me read Mr. Hebert's sophomore effort.......unfortunately.

Well the decades flew by, but I never totally forgot this book. A few days ago I found a copy (the same lurid New American
Kirstin
Jun 23, 2014 Kirstin rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The Fog is one of those books that would stare down at me from my fathers bookshelf when I was little. Titles like Wolfen, It's Alive, The Rats and The Fog, with covers so terrible I was scared and fascinated at the same time. Now, I'm trying to find those same books and read them myself, wondering if the stories live up to my childhood impressions.

The Fog didn't disappoint. The main story of how the Fog came to be and how it will be destroyed, while believable enough, was a bit boring. It's the
Blake
Apr 29, 2012 Blake rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction
Clearly Herbert intends to deliver sharp kicks to the stomach here, but he only succeeds in a few of the more minor incidences of people coming into contact with the fog early on and one or two late in the story. The more visceral sections are quite good, but they're not sustained for long and the author is not operating at a level near them for much of the book. Apart from some successes with minor characters, this is never really engrossing at a character level, despite the focus on the human ...more
Bandit
Jun 12, 2013 Bandit rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is more like it. As a fan of the author and a completist by nature, I've read a couple of his books lately that were just so so. The Fog was exactly the kind of scary fun ride that Herbert was capable of at his best. Oh, wow, I just edited this changing is to was, that's sad. But I digress...Fog was extremely graphic (not for the sensitive readers), uber violent, yet very humane at the same time. Herbert's got a real knack for side characters, really fleshing them out despite the fact that ...more
Kimberly
May 07, 2013 Kimberly rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: ha-challenge
Starts right off with the action; several scenes will stay with the reader for a while! Reminded me somewhat of his novel THE DARK as far as the structure of the novel went... I will be catching up on several of his other books soon!
 (shan) Littlebookcove
Absolutely Terrifying. <p class="western" style="margin-bottom: 0cm;">Yep James Herbert you have a fan for life now.</p>
<p class="western" style="margin-bottom: 0cm;"></p>
<p class="western" style="margin-bottom: 0cm;"></p>
<p class="western" style="margin-bottom: 0cm;">Its really good to find authors that are from your country The fact James the auhor is from my old hometown! And comes out with the books he does is just mind blowing to me. He is up there
F.R.
Jan 21, 2012 F.R. rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Reading a James Herbert directly after a Neil Gaiman is perhaps an odd choice for me. It’s following a writer who is genuinely funny, with one whose biggest flaw is – in my opinion – his distinct lack of humour. I generally find Herbert’s books entertaining, but moments of light relief, let alone jokes, tend to be few and far between. However, even though I didn’t give it the best preparation, I thoroughly enjoyed ‘The Fog’.

As the author’s preface (written in 1988) points out, Herbert considers
Nicki
Aug 22, 2015 Nicki rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Growing up, I was a huge fan of horror, the cheesier the better. James Herbert’s The Rats and sequels were an early stop on my tour of all things gruesome, and I loved it, but somehow the only other Herbert book I’ve read over the years has been Fluke. An impulse to read some traditional British horror led me to pick up The Fog, the earliest of Herbert’s standalone titles.

In a remote West Country village, the kind of friendly but stifling little place where everyone stops for a daily chat with t
Ben Loory
there's an earthquake in this small town, the ground opens up, this spooky fog comes out, starts creepin across the country, people breathe it in, they all go mad, start killing each other and themselves-- it's great! but then it all devolves into some dumb science fiction thing about buried biological weapons and they have to find the "mycoplasma" at the center of the thing and blow it up with explosives and yadda yadda yadda who gives a shit. but in the beginning it's really scary! and there's ...more
Anton
Jun 17, 2013 Anton rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: horror
On a goodreads groupread thread, this book was several times compared to the Final Destination film franchise: much of it consists of a series of set-pieces illustrating the macabre and homicidal effects of a mysterious, mind-altering fog on the inhabitants of the English countryside. These episodes vary in quality, some of them almost achieving the state of self-sustained short stories, including one early on that ranks among the most mind-bending, offensive, horrifying (i.e. awesome) things I' ...more
Randolph Carter
Drags a bit at times otherwise okay for this type of post-apocalypse thriller. This edition contained two Herbert short stories that were decent.
Natasa
The book was great it really deserves 5 stars!
Totally enjoyed it!
Kit★
Jul 21, 2012 Kit★ rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: horror
This author is recommended as one of the horror greats, so when I saw this book and The Rats on one of my Goodwill adventures, I had to get 'em. I really enjoy horror stories though I don't seem to read them as often as other types, but while looking for my next book to read, I saw this one and it just said to me, it's time. So I went with the flow and started reading, and was immediately drawn into the story, wanting to know what was going to happen next. To be honest, when I picked this book u ...more
Si Barron
Dec 21, 2012 Si Barron rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: horror, novel
Great book- very readable.
I discovered this in an old cupboard, a blast from the past- this is probably the first 'novel' I ever read. I'm not entirely sure how it cam into my possession as an impressionable 12 year old- but to me it came, I know my best friend a t the time read it too but as to who gave it who I can't remember. Anyway it left a massive impression on me. So I hadn't read it for about 30 years, I thought I give it a go.
The standout gory bits early on it the book I remembered (in
Dark-Draco
Mar 09, 2015 Dark-Draco rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites, horror, plague
Well, what can I say? I think this was the first book I read by James Herbert, back in the mists of time, and I instantly became a firm fan. Despite not all his books having quite the same impact, when I started re-reading it, I felt all the same shivers as I did that first time.

An earthquake in a small English village releases a mycoplasmic bacteria that feeds on carbon dioxide, creating a thick fog around itself as it drifts along on the winds. Becoming infected causes madness, to both humans
Kingfan30
Its quite unnerving to find fog when you open the curtains in the morning whilst two thirds through a book that is about a fog thats makes people insane!! Not a bad read, it is showing its age a bit, but certainly an interesting concept. There a quite a lot of characters in this that don't seem to be about for long and the main characters were not the easiest to connect with, however it was a quick read that certainly gave me something to think about.
Lel
To me James Herbert is a very under rated author of horror. I find his books spine chilling and creepy. In this book when an earthquake hits the English countryside a poisonous fog is released. Anyone that comes in to contact with this fog becomes mad and carries out acts of such gruesome violence that I shudder to think about. All I can say is that I would hate to be in his dreams!

The main character is an everyday guy that was one of the first victims of the fog. Most of the book he seems to ju
La pointe de la sauce
Ministry of Defense-Investigator-Strange Fog- people turning into zombies, sprinkle in a bit of sex and you've got your classic 90s movie script.
Aimee recommended this, so if you're reading this Aimee, it was fantastic. For the rest of you, unless you are a Stephen King fan, don't bother.
Alexander Draganov
Great horror novel. Tense, fast paced, shockingly violent, merciless splatter. Can you survive The Fog and what will be left of your mind?
Ashley
I've never been able to enjoy Herbert's writing style. DNF at 61 pages.
Emma Carrig
Apr 12, 2015 Emma Carrig rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Funny, scary, suspense filled, fast paced, I loved it!
H M Reynolds
I remembered reading this as a teenager and was keen to see if the book was as good as I remembered.

This book is often confused with the John Carpenter film of the same name. I should begin by saying that they are two completely different stories in different settings - John Carpenter's film concerns a pirate curse haunting a town on the American coast; James Herbert's the Fog is an altogether more British novel, about a toxic gas which drives people mad.

As a teenager, I remember the fog as a li
Casual Readers: JULY horror monthly group read - The Fog by James Herbert 46 26 Jul 22, 2014 11:37AM
Horror Aficionados : May 2013 Group Read: The Fog 146 229 Oct 04, 2013 08:51AM
  • They Thirst
  • Blood Crazy
  • Halloween
  • Chasm
James Herbert was Britain's number one bestselling writer (a position he held ever since publication of his first novel) and one of the world's top writers of thriller/horror fiction.

He was one of our greatest popular novelists, whose books are sold in thirty-three other languages, including Russian and Chinese. Widely imitated and hugely influential, his 19 novels have sold more than 42 million
More about James Herbert...