Start by marking “Frankly, Frannie” as Want to Read:
Frankly, Frannie

Frankly, Frannie (Frankly, Frannie #1)

She's already got her resume, business cards, and mustard packets (which are so much more grown up than ketchup) ready. So why is it taking eleventeen hundred years? Frannie's class is visiting the local radio station and the radio host is no where to be found. Should Frannie cover for him--after all, this could be her big break! But what happens when listeners call in wit ...more
Published May 1st 2010 by Grosset & Dunlap

Alyson (Kid Lit Frenzy)
Writing for 1st to 3rd graders is a challenge. Frannie fits in among the likes of Judy Moody, Clementine, Junie B Jones and others. In an effort to be grown up, Frannie misinterprets things and gets into a lot of trouble. There is a fine line in writing humorous antics and being just plain silly which can often be painful to read. There is also a fine line between the protagonist learning her lesson and wanting to have a happy, well-wrapped up ending. I'm not sure that I will continue reading th ...more
Catherine
Jul 31, 2011 Catherine rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Spunky girl protagonist, and errors in judgment that aren't as innocent as she would have you believe, means you can give it to your Junie B. and Clementine fans.
Kari
Jul 24, 2012 Kari rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I had high hopes for this book, unfortunately it just didn't have the same ring of truth to it that some of the others in this genre of young 1st - 3rd grade girl main characters plights, trials and tribulations. she was much too quick to admit her faults and apologize for them. I suspect more seething and temper tantrums would have ensued than did. And then her parents forgave her (as well as her classmates) too quickly after she ruined a second class trip. She apologized to everyone involved a ...more
Jackie
Aug 22, 2011 Jackie rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Frannie Miller loves grown up things, words, and jobs. She wants to impress everyone. But, when her over zealous desire to be 'grown-up' gets her into BIG trouble, she doesn't quite know how to make it all better.

The whole class is invited to a real live radio station...yet, Frannie already messed up during a field trip to Cambridge Magazine. Will her teacher, Mrs. Pellington say she can't go to the radio statio?. She gives her one more chance. But,you guessed it,yet again, Frannie messes up. S
Carol
Oct 25, 2011 Carol rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Move over Junie B. Jones and Judy Moody, there is a new girl in town. Frannie, or Mrs. Frankly B. Miller as she prefers to be called (for the moment) is a girl that knows what she wants and goes for it despite the trouble that seems to follow her everywhere. Frannie loves offices, briefcases, big words, business cards and anything else from the Grown-Up World. The problem with Frannie is that despite all of her "scientific evidence" she doesn't always do the right thing. She thinks she is "helpi ...more
Amy
Good for fans of Junie B. Jones (who I don't particularly like either). Spunky girl who gets into trouble. Although she makes amends in the end I felt there was too much acceptance of her behavior. Also, the way her thoughts are written is not a good grammatical example for young readers.
Shannon
Very cute book for young readers. I like that there is a lesson to be learned and you learn something from it.
Alexis Labenz
Frankly, Frannie, a book by A.J. Stern, is about a young girl who is already ready to be a grown up. Frannie just wants a job. She has business cards and a resume, and she thinks she is ready and prepared to be an adult. Frannie's teacher takes Frannie and her class on a trip to a radio station. When Frannie sees that the chair with a microphone and headphones is empty, she decides the nice thing to do is jump in the seat and cover for the talk show host who is missing. Frannie gets in huge trou ...more
Molly (Conan the Librarian) Crumbley
Frannie B. Miller might only be in elementary school, but she is absolutely dying to be a grown up with a real grown up job and an office. She even has her business cards and resume ready to go, but no one will give her a break!

When Frannie’s class takes a field trip to the local radio station (which has a billionteenth different offices!), she just knows that this is her big opportunity to break into the biz. She discovers that Sandy Sanders, radio host, is missing from the studio in the middl
Edward Creter
Frannie is a 12-year-old who changes her name to seem more adult. Sure. We've seen this all before. Her teacher has offered to take her on a field trip to a local radio station--just in time for the new guy to be mayor once the votes are tallied. But then something radical happens as Frannie, aka Frankly, takes over the on-air time and redirects listeners in the area to a new venue for voting. Then hell comes to her family when they force her to apologize and follow the rules as a way to---NOW B ...more
Froschbein
Nov 05, 2014 Froschbein rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Frankly, Frannie is a book that I like, but it is probably meant for children younger than me. The story is very interesting, but I think younger children would like it better than I do. I first read this book when I was seven. In the story, Frannie leads a normal life, but is very concerned with being grown-uppish. That is very like a seven year old. She can't stand feeling like a child. She even makes herself a resume.

This story will also be good for younger kids because it's not as complex as
Ubalstecha
Frannie is a girl who desperately wants to be a grown up. So desperate that she is trying to make herself like mustard by smelling it. Frannie is famous for her imagination getting the better of her, so much so that when the class is to go on a field trip to a radio station, she gets a special buddy to watch her. This doesn't stop Frannie from finding more trouble.

Very sweet first chapter book about a girl who finds trouble even when she isn't looking for it. Accompanied by cartoon illustrations
Emily
Sep 24, 2011 Emily rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: middle-grade
Frannie (or Frankly, depending on the day) is everything I would've wanted to have in my early chapter book heroine. She's plucky, funny and a bit scatterbrained. Armed with her resume, briefcase and business cards, Frannie is now ready to take her first steps into the working world-- where there are offices upon offices with spinning chairs just waiting for her to sit in them.

Frannie is an ambitious girl whose inner thoughts are sprinkled with her own quirky and charming dialect. Her well-inte
Kim Burean
Frannie is a spunky character who would like to think she is really grown up. Unfortunately, in her attempts to be grown up, she sometimes gets herself in prediciments that prove she is still a kid. In this adventure, Frannie's class is taking a special trip to the local radio station for a tour. While there, Frannie gets separated from the group. When she notices that the radio host is not in his seat, she takes matters into her own hands and begins answering the phones for the call-in show. Wh ...more
Megan
Apr 20, 2010 Megan rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
4 1/2 stars

Frannie is an ambitious elementary student who wants nothing more than to work in an office. She tries to be very grown up, but she often acts before she thinks things through, which gets her into trouble. This is a fun new series for readers ready for chapter books. The changing fonts were a little distracting at first, but once I stopped trying to figure out the logic behind the different fonts, I was able to ignore them.

(I was given this galley copy by my Baker and Taylor represent
Cboatfield11
Frannie who prefers to be called Frankly is a spunky, ambitious, likable girl who wants so badly to be a growup. She expresses her thoughts using adult sounding words but what gets her into trouble is when she acts as if she is an adult out in the real world. In this first installment, Frankly's class is going on a field trip to a radio station. Her interpretation of what is happening while on the trip and her immature reasoning causes great excitement and angst for the "real" adults. Some of he ...more
Aprilj328
Frannie Miller is a mischievous girl who loves grown up things. When her class goes on a field trip to a local radio station she makes sure she has her briefcase and business cards with her. When she notices the host of the call in show has left his post she steps in to help. Frannie learns an important lesson about following the rules and helping others. In the style of Junie B. Jones and Judy Moody this series is great for grades 2-3.

early chapter books, realistic fiction, jobs
Robin
Sep 10, 2011 Robin rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction, kids-chapter
This book is a fun early chapter book that will especially appeal to girls. I enjoyed the story and black and white illustrations. Frannie is a smart and curious little girl who is ready to be all grown up. I think children will enjoy this one, and it would make a good read aloud, especially between parent and child. At times, Frannie is a bit too precocious (as kid-characters can sometimes be), but in the end, she is likable and entertaining.
Sara Truog
A precocious elementary schooler who is is desperate for a desk job (think briefcase, resume, and business cards) goes on a class field trip to the local radio station and attempts to save the day when the on-air personality steps away from the mike (cue the hijinks)! Cute story with an adorable main character and a good lesson to teach. Easy to recommend for girls in grades 1-3. Haven't tried this one on Nina yet but I think she'd like it.
Lorna
My third grader recommended this beginning chapter book to me. Frannie is reminiscent of Junie B. Jones with her attraction to odd ball goof-ups and misunderstandings. She also has the same problem with mid-pronouncing words like Junie B., which personally I find super annoying. I find other characters in early chapter books, like Clementine and Marty McGuire, a bit more enduring than Frannie, but I understand her appeal.
Katherine
Samuel read this on his own and then left it on my bed. . . his way of recommending it to me. Frankly is so funny that I laughed out loud nearly every other page. I have just two little complaints. First, I couldn't figure out how old Frannie is! More importantly, because she is so intelligent, some (not all) of her childish expressions seem contrived to make her sound younger. It was too reminiscent of Junie B. Jones. I have a strong aversion to Junie B. Jones.
Alissa
Jun 24, 2014 Alissa rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: kids-books
Similar in writing to Clementine and Ramona. I would give it 3 1/2 stars. I was just a bit troubled at the ENORMOUS amount of mischief this little girl could get into. I enjoyed her creation of a resume and business cards and reading her logic into how things played out in her mind, but my heavens! This girl would give me ulcers if I knew her! I don't fear that it plants ideas in little kids minds, but it is quite far-fetched. (I hope).
Katie Curry
This book reminded me a lot of a Junie B. Jones book with the confidence Frannie shows and with the wording she uses (i.e.twenty-sixteen years, machillion,excitified, hundredteen, etc.). I enjoyed reading about her adventures of trying to be grown-up and how she even made herself look like a business woman. I would definitely read this book aloud to a lower elementary class to discuss proper/acceptable behaviors and also to introduce a "What I want to be when I grow up..." writing lesson.
Pamela
Frannie is like a younger, more modern Amelia Bedelia, often misinterpreting the actions and words or her elders, in this case her teacher and the radio station's announcer, which just as often land her in serious trouble with these same elders. I liked its humor, and how Frannie works toward making amends when she realizes her mistake. I would recommend to Gr 2-4 readers.
Rachael
Apr 29, 2013 Rachael rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: grades-2-3
Frankly, I mean Frannie, can't help but to get herself into trouble even though she's only trying to help. I like that this story has a moral that I believe stands out more than the other similar transitional chapter books. She's also a girl after my own heart; she's looking forward to having an assistant and an office when she gets to be a grown up in eleventy-billion years. :)
Erin
Apr 30, 2012 Erin rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: kid-lit, 2012
I'm only halfway through the first cd and the Frannie-isms are killing me already. Might be more bearable in print, but I'm not sure.

Clarification: I listened to Frankly, Frannie Check, Please on audio and found it semi- annoying. Then I read this book in print, and I was right- the Frannie-isms are much cuter in print.
Deborah
Jun 20, 2012 Deborah rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Frannie really, really, really wants a job. She wants her own office, carry a briefcase to work, and impress adults with her maturity. But she is just a kid and her attempts to help on while touring a local radio station turn the town upside down.

I really like the illustrations too. Recommended for fans of Junie B. Jones, Ramona, and Judy Moody.

2nd to 3rd grade
Karen Arendt
Jul 23, 2010 Karen Arendt rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Reminds me of Ivy and Bean, Clementine, and Junie B. Jones. While Frankly is a character unto herself, she wants more than anything to be a grown up. And, she thinks she knows more than grownups sometimes. Nice clean humor, some big misunderstandings, and lots of trouble, This may appeal to second and early third grade girls who think they should be the teacher. : )
Rachel
I wasn't impressed with Frankly Frannie and found myself rolling my eyes quite a bit at the things Frannie seemed to misunderstand. Kylie liked it, but I don't think we'll be reading any more from this series.
Tali Balas
Funny, likable character in a pretty typical storyline. The plot was a bit too contrived and I found the mixed fonts distracting and unnecessary. I'd recommend Junie b. Jones or Keena Ford before this series.
  • Princess Posey and the First Grade Parade (Princess Posey, #1)
  • Jasper John Dooley: Star of the Week (Jasper John Dooley, #1)
  • How Oliver Olson Changed the World
  • Sophie the Awesome (Sophie, #1)
  • Stella Batts Needs a New Name (Stella Batts, #1)
  • Moxy Maxwell Does Not Love Stuart Little
  • Zapato Power: Freddy Ramos Takes Off
  • Ruby Lu, Star of the Show
  • The Dunderheads Behind Bars
  • Nikki and Deja (Nikki & Deja)
  • Like Pickle Juice on a Cookie (Eleanor, #1)
  • The Trouble With Chickens (J.J. Tully Mystery #1)
  • Sophie Simon Solves Them All
  • Melonhead
  • Smarter than Squirrels (Down Girl and Sit)
  • Super Burp! (George Brown, Class Clown, #1)
  • Hooey Higgins and the Shark
  • Mouse and Mole: A Winter Wonderland
AJ Stern lives in Brooklyn, New York.
More about A.J. Stern...

Frankly, Frannie (9 books)
  • Doggy Day Care (Frankly, Frannie #2)
  • Check, Please! (Frankly, Frannie #3)
  • Funny Business (Frankly, Frannie #4)
  • Principal for the Day (Frankly, Frannie #5)
  • Fashion Frenzy (Frankly, Frannie #6)
  • Miss Fortune (Frankly, Frannie #7)
  • Rocking Out! (Frankly, Frannie #8)
  • Here Comes the...Trouble! (Frankly, Frannie #9)