The Bad Widow

The Bad Widow

2.98 of 5 stars 2.98  ·  rating details  ·  385 ratings  ·  33 reviews
Rose Thorne doesn't want much. She'd like a man to love and for village idiots to stop claiming she's a witch. Just because she does a little magic doesn't mean they need to burn her at the stake. It takes ages to get the smell of smoke out of her hair. On her way home after foraging for mushrooms, she's assaulted by two local lechers. Her rescuer appears out of the mist -...more
ebook, Naughty Nooners, Nook
Published July 27th 2009 by Ellora's Cave Xanadu (first published July 1st 2009)

Tam
Now this may well be the best nooner I've ever read! I've rated it 4 stars as compared with other similar short stories, not as compared with full length stories. The short story is a whole other beast!

What I liked about this one was the quirky story line, the funny main character and the ridiculous situations. The sex was hot, the hero was on a horse, and the heroine was great. I didn't really have any idea what to expect from the author and she is a little off the wall and kept me on my toes,...more
Splage
I read this because it was free or really cheap and I love all the author's stories. This was a very short story, 21 pages, and I am not sure what it was even about. It had one monster sex scene, pretty non-emotional, text book erotica, with a "Big O" for the heroine in each position- then she turns him into a frog and there are a bunch of other frogs she sees underwater when she is being drowned as a witch. Pretty bizarre!
Renee Nicole

HA! I gotta give this one four stars, because it wasn't what I was expecting at ALL! For only being about thirty pages long, there was a supa-fun story about a witch and the town that wanted her dead.

Her sexy lover came out of nowhere, I wasn't always sure what the hell was happening, but I was thoroughly entertained.

Ms. Elsborg has caught my attention, for sure.
Mojca
A quick, hot, slightly funny, and steamy read about a witch and the mute who saves her from rape...Only to get turned into a frog after a night of steamy sex when the mob comes to get her and he tries to save her again.

Not much plot, but the scene of the trial was entertaining.
Stacy-Deanne Stacy-Deanne
Ok erotic read about a witch being targeted by townsfolk. Nothing at all original and I think the author tried too hard to cram a deep plot into a very short story. For this to be an erotic read, the sex was the least interesting of the story.
Karla
Not as good as some of her other stuff, but still enjoyable. I think it was the paranormal factor that threw me a bit. Yet, she still packs a punch in a few short pages.
Jessica
1.5 stars. most of the time I dodnt really know what was going on there needed to be more story even for a short it was lacking. he saves her from having to save herself then ravishes her and then she turns him into a frog which I missed because I was so bored over a span of ten pages I was just skimming. sex scenes were ok nothing to brag about but not laughable at least. the trial part was relatively entertaining and got a few laughs. but then it ended abruptly with no explanation as to who th...more
Jackie
Aug 01, 2011 Jackie rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Fans of erotic romance who want a fast read.
As far as a fast fun read on a summer evening filled with erotic images and some good old fashioned drama this one fits the bill. I totally enjoyed The Bad Widow which was my first experience reading one of author Barbara Elsborg short stories. It had a devious and sexy female leading character, a very hot male who came to her rescue in more ways than one and an easy to follow story that made me very glad to live in modern times so as not to be tried as a witch simply because I am female and r...more
Arlyn
This was different! A little bit erotica, a little bit witchcraft and fairy tale, this book was sexy and entertaining. My only complaint was hat it was a little hard to follow regarding the Will/frog concept. Definitely recommend-and it's free! You can't go wrong!
Yianna Yiannacou
I sort of kind of enjoyed this free story, but it was just that - too short.

Rose Thorne is a witch that has been hunted for many years by the local villagers. All she wants is to stay in a village and find a worthy man who she can spend the rest of her life with, but that is a little hard when the village people are pointing fingers at her claiming she is witch. She gets attacked one day by two men with the intent of rape, but she is saved by Will, a man who cannot speak. She protects him by hi...more
Paul Lunger
Another book in the Naughty Nooners series, Barbara Elsborg's "The Bad Widow" is a story that almost appears to be set in the days of the Salem Witch Trials of the 17th century. This is the story of Rose who meets up with Will who saves her from 2 of the local town thugs. They make passionate love & then she is accused of being a witch & then is tried & attempted to be killed. At the trial, Rose encounters a frog which helps save her life - a frog that is none other than Will a Fae....more
Tameka
I've read a lot of Naughty Nooners and I will say this one is close to the top of the pile for me. This is the fist time I read this author and I found this nooner to be funny and quirky. Some of the things that she thought while they convicted her of things that she didn't do seemed to be quite harilious to me, not sure why...maybe because I probably would have said those things as well. Nice touch at the end - really liked that part.
Caro
This was a great freebie. I liked the characters and the plot. I would definitely like to read this again. There was humor, steaminess, love, and page turning. This was a really fast read and I wish it had been longer. I liked the sense of the book and how it was written. Witty and fun to read. Less than a one-sitter due to wind-like page-turning and interesting sense of humor. Definitely a steal and great for anytime reading. Enjoy!
Patti
This book was alright. The story of a woman looking for love in a town where people think she is a witch has been done many times. It needs something to make it special to really grab me and this one just sort of fizzled. I would have liked to know more about the man that finally catches her attention. I tend to appreciate a story more when I care about the characters and this one did not give me that chance.
K.R.Caldwell
Not the best quick nooner that I read, but it was still intresting. I think the plot would have been better suited for an actual novella or even full length novel. It left me wanting to know who the guy witch (wizard?) was. I felt like I was left out of some big secret that everyone else was privy to. Although, the hot, steamy love scene sort of made up for it.
♡ Sassy ~ Amy ♡
This was a very short silly ebook. I think books like this are just a test authors give themselves at how good erotica they can come up with. Short books like this are more of an erotic essay. I read it just to pass a moment. I did laugh a few times, but I don't think I was supposed to.
Sassafrass
I liked the way the story started off but I thought things were just thrown in at the end to have the story make sense. I know this a super short story so it's hard to work with, but I just felt confused at the end. It had a nice and steamy love scene though. :)
Terri Pray
Funny in places, and had the potential to be a satisfying little read (it's about 18 pages of actual story), but didn't quite hit the mark for me.

However, I would read more from the author at a later date.
Amanda Sheila
Not sure if it's novella or not; but it's short. Like super short.

I enjoyed the story, though I was a bit confuse. But overall I liked it. Hot and slightly funny, Rose definitely fearless.

Cute.
Dana
21 pages on my Nook, this could have been a full length book and possibly a series, I wanted more...maybe even needed more, but it was a great Nooner....
Dana
For this being a short book I really enjoyed it. I loved the fact that it took place during the Salem Witch Trials and she ended up happy in the end and home.
Adriana Bookologist
The Bad Widow by Barbara Elsborg

A quickie read and funny too.

Favorite line.

“Sorry, I don’t work with inferior material, boys.”
Rebecca (everyday reader)
An odd story of a horny witch who keeps moving to different villages when the inhabitants accuse her of being a witch and kill her (they think).
SandraE
This book was actually surprisingly funny and good. I actually wanted it to be longer. I wanted to see the bad widow committing more mischief.
Starla B
Didn't really care for it. It felt too rushed to me, like the plot was hurried and rushed just to be able to get to the erotic parts.
Terri
Accused of witchcraft, the widow plays games with her accusers and meets a very sensual and exciting man. A fun quick read
SheLove2Read
I hate to be mean but this was just awful. I'm glad it was a freebie.
Imjstgr8
Short, good read. Made me want to try others by this author.
  • Hot Moon Rising
  • Kayla's Birthday Present
  • Larkspur (Flowers of Camelot #5)
  • Hunting Evander
  • Lap Dance
  • Peak Energy
  • Spirit Lifter (Phantom Lovers #4)
  • Reaper's Justice (WesternWind #7.5)
  • Tessa's Ambassador
  • Haunted by the Past
  • His Voice, His Command
  • Her Very Special Robot
  • Seychelles Sunset (Cougar Challenge #2.5)
  • Scoring (Lowell High School #2.5)
  • Nocked for a Loop (Naughty Nooners)
  • First Taste (Naughty Nooners)
  • Master's Thief
  • Interlude in Pearl (Pearl #2.5)
Barbara Elsborg lives in West Yorkshire in the north of England. She always wanted to be a spy, but having confessed to everyone without them even resorting to torture, she decided it was not for her. Vulcanology scorched her feet. A morbid fear of sharks put paid to marine biology. So instead, she spent several years successfully selling cyanide.

After dragging up two rotten, ungrateful children a...more
More about Barbara Elsborg...
Strangers An Ordinary Girl Anna in the Middle With or Without Him Kiss a Falling Star