Start by marking “Lifescripts: What to Say to Get What You Want in Life's Toughest Situations” as Want to Read:
Lifescripts: What to Say to Get What You Want in Life's Toughest Situations

Lifescripts: What to Say to Get What You Want in Life's Toughest Situations

3.56 of 5 stars 3.56  ·  rating details  ·  82 ratings  ·  8 reviews
Excerpt from Lifescript #1: Asking for a Salary Increase

Icebreaker: I'd like to thank you for the opportunity you and the company have given me. I recognize that you've been very influential in my growth and advancement. However, I have a problem that I need your help with.

Pitch #1: What has happened is that I've been concentrating solely on my professional growth and hav
Paperback, 3rd Edition (completely revised & updated), 480 pages
Published March 8th 2004 by John Wiley & Sons, Inc. (first published 1996)

To ask other readers questions about Lifescripts, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Lifescripts

Dione Sage
Lifescripts by Stephen M. Pollan & Mark Levine is book for filled with suggestions and conversation diagrams. The subjects of conversations range from job hunting to asking your spouse to lose weight. Seriously some of these scripts were good and some left me thinking “I would never say that”. There were a few suggestions that were overly abrasive to my more passive nature but I can also see how this book can help to overcome some of the tougher issues one may face in the office. I have even ...more
Renee
I borrowed this book from my boyfriend's (at the time) dad. I wanted to look up how to have a discussion with my boss on a salary increase. I returned the book, but then borrowed it again about six months later. At that time, I noticed the section on 'breaking up with your partner' was dog-eared. When my boyfriend broke up with me a month or so later - he used the exact lines in the book! I guess I wasn't the only one that thought it had some useful tips...
Cindy
Great reference book! I use it when I need to figure out what to say in a difficult work situations for myself or giving advice to others, such as, how to respond to a salary offer that is too low, how to ask your boss for a raise, or how to tell a client your fees are increasing. It comes with handy little flowcharts to show the different conversation possibilities as well. The dialogue is lame but you get the general idea.
Julia
I use this book as a reference whenever I'm dealing with an employee issue at work (looks like I need to get the Lifescripts for Managers version instead). Not all situations exist in the book but the ones that do are helpful. I just finished reading the entire subordinates section again today.
Heather Beztilny
This is a great book for those people who always think of what they want to say after the conversation is over. I like to visualize a conversation before hand and this book is great for being able to anticipate the other side.
Mckinley
Ref book. Flow charts for various situations to respond to - interesting approach. Lays out the likely outcomes which could help in deciding whether to confront in the fist place.
Sherry
Very helpful, when you just don't know how to say what needs to be said. It portrays many different life situations and what could be said in a positive yet authoritative way.
Maja
Maja marked it as to-read
Aug 02, 2015
Pattie
Pattie added it
Jul 20, 2015
Shawn Moline
Shawn Moline marked it as to-read
Jul 11, 2015
Em
Em marked it as to-read
Jul 05, 2015
Chris
Chris added it
Jul 03, 2015
Erica Vines
Erica Vines marked it as to-read
Jun 10, 2015
Maresa
Maresa marked it as to-read
Jun 02, 2015
jacqueline dang
jacqueline dang marked it as to-read
May 29, 2015
Jade Amsbury
Jade Amsbury marked it as to-read
May 08, 2015
Gitte
Gitte marked it as to-read
Apr 25, 2015
Malcolm Hodnett
Malcolm Hodnett marked it as to-read
Apr 18, 2015
Teshoma Gadisa
Teshoma Gadisa marked it as to-read
Apr 13, 2015
Shawn  Poe
Shawn Poe marked it as to-read
Apr 01, 2015
Roxanna Guerrero
Roxanna Guerrero marked it as to-read
Mar 22, 2015
Werner
Werner added it
Mar 20, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »
  • They Have a Word for It: A Lighthearted Lexicon of Untranslatable Words & Phrases
  • Librarian's Guide to Online Searching
  • The Taste of Sweet: Our Complicated Love Affair with Our Favorite Treats
  • The Art of Civilized Conversation: A Guide to Expressing Yourself With Style and Grace
  • Why Do Men Fall Asleep After Sex? More Questions You'd Only Ask a Doctor After Your Third Whiskey Sour
  • "Excuse Me, But I Was Next...": How to Handle the Top 100 Manners Dilemmas
  • Advertising and Promotion: An Integrated Marketing Communications Perspective
  • That's Not What I Meant!
  • The Nordstrom Way: The Inside Story of America's #1 Customer Service Company
  • Why Love Hurts: A Sociological Explanation
  • Lend Me Your Ears: Great Speeches in History
  • 300 Questions to Ask Your Parents Before It's Too Late
  • The 7 Worst Things Good Parents Do
  • Your Call Is (Not That) Important to Us: Customer Service and What It Reveals About Our World and Our Lives
Die Broke: A Radical Four-Part Financial Plan It's All in Your Head: Thinking Your Way to Happiness Fire Your Boss Second Acts: Creating the Life You Really Want, Building the Career You Truly Desire Live Rich: Everything You Need to Know To Be Your Own Boss