Start by marking “Psychology & Christianity: Five Views” as Want to Read:
Psychology & Christianity: Five Views

Psychology & Christianity: Five Views

How are Christians to understand and undertake the discipline of psychology? This question has been of keen interest (and sometimes concern) to Christians because of the importance we place on a correct understanding of human nature. Psychology can sometimes seem disconnected from, if not antithetical to, Christian perspectives on life. How are we to understand our Christi ...more
Published August 7th 2010 by IVP Academic (first published September 7th 2000)

To ask other readers questions about Psychology & Christianity, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Psychology & Christianity

Ryan
Jul 08, 2017 Ryan rated it it was amazing
As counseling grad student (and knowing virtually nothing about psychology) I found this book to be fascinating and helpful in gaining understanding of the relationship between science and theology. Each view is laid out in their respective chapter with helpful critiques from the other four views, of that particular view. My only gripe was the language seemed rather "heady" at times, but that's because of my limited knowledge (this book required reading in the first class of my masters program, ...more
Matt Awesome
Dec 13, 2016 Matt Awesome rated it it was amazing
So I haven't read this whole book because I just wanted to get a better understanding of the Biblical counselling movement as described by Powlison to use some of the info. in a paper. I found Powlison's entry, plus the introduction that kind of sketches a history of Christianity and psychology to be really informative and encouraging. It's helpful for me to see models of Christians who are committed to Biblical values and as serious in how their integrate that worldview with their practice. Als ...more
Rose Johnson
Jul 14, 2017 Rose Johnson rated it really liked it
I love this series of books that present various viewpoints of different topics. This one was especially interesting, as I didn't realize there were so many diverse views of psychology and Christianity. I hadn't even heard of two of them until I read it. Unfortunately, these authors aren't always as cordial with each other as others are in other books I've read in this series. But overall, the book fulfills its job in the multi-views series.
Craig
Jun 23, 2017 Craig rated it liked it
Shelves: seminary
For RTS -- Pastoral Counseling.
Josiah
Jul 27, 2015 Josiah rated it it was amazing
Shelves: psychology
I came to this book being fairly ignorant of the different sides that were going to be presented. I had read one short book on the Integration View, and had some familiarity with the Biblical Counseling View, and I have read a fair bit of other stuff on Psychology, which is why I wanted to read this book, but otherwise didn't really have an opinion on which side was right coming into the book.

Overall, the structure of the book was fairly good. The opening and closing chapters by the editor of t
Patrick
Mar 05, 2012 Patrick rated it it was amazing
I must start by saying that Psychology & Christianity: Five Views is easily one of the most helpful books I have ever read on the topic of psychology. This book begins with a history of the Christian influences in the field of psychology. At times this part was dry but it was still cool to see how Christianity has actually had a big influence on the field. The rest of the book contains chapters written by different authors. Each author in the book is writing from their viewpoint on how we as ...more
Tom
Jul 23, 2012 Tom rated it really liked it
I read this book several months ago for a series I was doing on science and faith. This book helped me think through the sermon on psychology and faith. I found myself appreciating parts of all five views. Each contributor provided helpful insights into how Christianity and psychology interact (or don't). Probably in the end, I come closest to the integrationist view of Stanton Jones, my previous psychology professor at Wheaton College, and the current provost. At the same time I appreciated con ...more
Kirk Miller
Aug 22, 2014 Kirk Miller rated it it was amazing
Great book.

At times it felt less like reading a multiple view book and more like reading a collection of complementary essays from very similarly positions. Philosophically, it seems like the latter 4 views are more complementary than contradictory, although the Biblical Counseling view seems like it would differ a bit in terms of practice. Even the authors of these views recognized the complementary reality of their positions. Their main differences seemed to be that of emphasis.

In contrast, I
El
May 10, 2014 El rated it liked it
This book was helpful in identifying the different views of integration, but the format (One view presented, the four responses, another view, four more responses etc.) made it a bit confusing. I felt that if each of the authors were given a specific set of topics to address in their own chapter, that would have made it more clear and avoided the back and forth format. By the time I got to the fourth response in each chapter I had gotten confused about what the original view was. Also some autho ...more
Robyn
Mar 01, 2016 Robyn rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This compilation provides a taster of five different approaches to the integration of Psychology and Christina Faith. I found it fascinating to appreciate each 'school of thought' (or practice!) and how it related to the other approaches. It was a little slow-going but very interesting. The contributors did a admirable job of summarising their position and developing comparative critiques.
Gregory K.
Jul 08, 2012 Gregory K. rated it it was ok
This book only really succeeded in describing Christian ambivalence towards psychology. The five views were not really presented in a way where I could use their material in any practical way in my own life and ministry. I did enjoy the fact that each author of each view was able to critique the other four views. In the end though this whole thing felt too much like an academic exercise.
JJ
Dec 17, 2011 JJ rated it it was amazing
The editor, Eric Johnson, did some incredible work laying out guidelines for critically evaluating each view, and his closing essay was equally fantastic. This book has provoked a lot of critical thought for me. It's worth re-reading.
Jason Robertson
Oct 21, 2010 Jason Robertson rated it it was amazing
A very well, developed, well-argued, and well-respected look at the discipline of applying God's word to the practice of Psychology. The insights of the authors were all eloquent, respectful, and informative to me as a Psych student.
Diana
Jul 28, 2010 Diana rated it it was amazing
Shelves: integration
This second edition provides one new orientation, along with comprehensive reworkings of several of the approaches that appeared in the previous edition. Helpful introduction to the variety of perspectives that a Christian and psychologist might use to approach their discipline.
Josh
Nov 06, 2015 Josh rated it really liked it
A helpful orientation to the discussion of how Christianity and psychology are related. I am deeply sympathetic to the view represented by David Powlison, who writes the chapter on biblical counseling, but it was helpful to read the other chapters and the subsequent dialogue between the authors.
Scott Carter
Mar 06, 2015 Scott Carter rated it really liked it
This is a good book for being more oriented to the discussion on how Christians view psychology.
Amanda
Jul 09, 2011 Amanda rated it really liked it
A bit dry and slow but a good read, definitely helpful when thinking about a career in mental health care and how faith plays into it.
Jamie Pennington
Aug 20, 2012 Jamie Pennington rated it it was ok
Not the best book in the world. No bad but the subject matter just did not hold my attention very much.
Rod White
Jul 01, 2011 Rod White rated it really liked it
Enlightening read on the variations brought to the table by Christians seeking a Christ-based approach to the contemporary debates and practices of psychology.
Dawn
Mar 12, 2016 Dawn rated it really liked it
This book was helpful for understanding the theory in the different psychology perspectives. Not practical at all.
TINA
TINA rated it liked it
Sep 12, 2015
Kevin Hull
Kevin Hull rated it liked it
Dec 15, 2014
Lucie
Lucie rated it really liked it
Mar 11, 2014
Tony
Tony rated it liked it
Dec 12, 2016
Evan Magelssen
Evan Magelssen rated it really liked it
Jun 14, 2016
Brian M
Brian M rated it liked it
Nov 15, 2016
Dan Marder
Dan Marder rated it really liked it
Aug 19, 2014
Emily Hittler
Emily Hittler rated it really liked it
May 11, 2015
Sabrina
Sabrina rated it it was amazing
Apr 25, 2017
Keith Snow
Keith Snow rated it liked it
May 11, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
  • The Fantasy Fallacy: Exposing the Deeper Meaning Behind Sexual Thoughts
  • Modern Psychotherapies: A Conversation about Truth, Morality, Culture & a Few Other Things That Matter
  • Blame It on the Brain: Distinguishing Chemical Imbalances, Brain Disorders, and Disobedience
  • Four Views on the Book of Revelation
  • Psychology, Theology, and Spirituality in Christian Counseling
  • CrossTalk: Where Life & Scripture Meet
  • False Intimacy: Understanding the Struggle of Sexual Addiction
  • Competent to Counsel: Introduction to Nouthetic Counseling (Jay Adams Library)
  • Homosexuality and the Christian: A Guide for Parents, Pastors, and Friends
  • Bold Love
  • War of Words: Getting to the Heart of Your Communication Struggles
  • Taking Charge of Adult ADHD
  • Uprooting Anger, Biblical Help for a Common Problem
  • Rid of My Disgrace: Hope and Healing for Victims of Sexual Assault
  • Speaking Truth in Love: Counsel in Community
  • Culture Making: Recovering Our Creative Calling
  • Competent Christian Counseling, Volume One: Foundations and Practice of Compassionate Soul Care
  • Three Views on the Rapture: Pre; Mid; or Post-Tribulation