Start by marking “Thick Face, Black Heart: The Asian Path to Thriving, Winning & Succeeding” as Want to Read:
Thick Face, Black Heart: The Asian Path to Thriving, Winning & Succeeding

Thick Face, Black Heart: The Asian Path to Thriving, Winning & Succeeding

This guide fuses the wisdom of the East and West, and explores how ancient Asian battle strategies and cultural mindsets can be applied today to achieve mental toughness and winning business techniques.
Published April 1st 1995 by Nicholas Brealey Publishing (first published July 1992)

To ask other readers questions about Thick Face, Black Heart, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Thick Face, Black Heart

Patrick Wallace
Jan 10, 2014 Patrick Wallace rated it did not like it
This is one of those books which you often see in the Asian section of bookstores, purporting to relate some long, lost mystical secret of the Orient, but actually offering up junk psychology in Asian garb.

The conceit of this book is that it is offering up ancient, accepted wisdom. However, it certainly is not, The Thick Black Theory has its origins in the writings of Li Zongwu (1879-1944), a failed bureaucrat in the late Qing Dynasty. Li felt that the path to success lay in the pursuit of unbr
Dru Skill
Mar 30, 2010 Dru Skill rated it really liked it
Shelves: favorites
Nice book. Gives a very good insight on how to be victor and not a victim. By reading this book you get an impression that nobody's perfect as a matter of fact everybody has done something in their lives that they thought was really grossly stupid or out of line. But at the end of the day life is not about what you've done before but if you are willing to accept yourself and move on. Life is about how far are willing to go to pay the price to success. The people who accept themselves their (stre ...more
Jake Danishevsky
This book was strongly recommended to me by my master. As soon as I opened it, I knew that this would be one of the greatest books, which I had a chance to get my hands on. This review will never be able to explain and do justice to the actual contents of what is inside.

Ms. Chin-Ning Chu has been a consultant for various organizations. She has been a business liaison between American and Asian Corporations for many years. She gave speeches and conferences on variety of subjects in business devel
Donitello
Apr 17, 2008 Donitello rated it it was amazing
To see why see why I love Chin Ning Chu’s masterful book, just read some of the 45 reader reviews on amazon.com: “Motivation and success book for grown-ups.” “Machiavelli meets the Dalai Lama.” “You need no other book!”

Granted, no single book will suit every taste. So it is not surprising that some readers criticize this one. It takes on a gargantuan task: seeking to explain something of the Asian way of thinking to Western folks. Yet with China soon to be the number 1 trading partner for MANY
Gigi
Oct 07, 2015 Gigi rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book is about how to incorporate Chinese military strategy into your everyday life. I'm a new person for reading this. look out!
Vel
Sep 06, 2015 Vel rated it it was amazing
I would put this book as a must read for almost everyone - people who are just starting to work or even for people who have enough experience. Lot of what the author says rings a bell within you somewhere and you are able to relate to the content very easily. The book is written in easy style and prose that is very practical and easy to follow. Overall, a great book without all the management mumbo jumbo!
Brock
Jan 21, 2009 Brock rated it it was amazing
As someone who wants to face-down their insecurities, because bottom-line, those prevent us from achiving great relationships and success in life, I found this book a help. It is one that I will need to go back and read every other year, much like "How to Win Friends and Influence People", to apply continueous improvement to my own life.
Tikiri
Mar 21, 2015 Tikiri rated it it was amazing
One of the few books that made an immense impact in how I viewed the world, and myself.
James
Jul 25, 2015 James rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
One of the most important books on life I have so far read.
Giselle
Feb 22, 2014 Giselle rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Keep this book within easy reach. You will refer to it a lot in your lifetime!
Natalina
Jan 10, 2010 Natalina rated it really liked it
This book was recommended long time ago by my former boss, Mr. Choong when I was working as junior staff. It taught me how to be tough at work and in general life. Thank you, Sir!
Adam Perry
May 26, 2017 Adam Perry rated it it was ok
Too much reliance on a god to provide answers or reassurance.
Gregg Bell
Jan 19, 2015 Gregg Bell rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Sometimes these eastern mysticism/self-help books make me feel mean.

Reading them are like watching Kung-Fu movies. I mean, c'mon be honest, after you watch a Bruce Lee movie don't you feel like giving somebody a karate chop? (Even if it's only the mailman.)

Thick Face, Black Heart delivers on fueling the desire to karate chop the mailman. How could it not with "Black Heart" in the title? This book is about wiping your enemies out. But it's about much more, as well.

It's really a hodge-podge of thi
Misericordia ❣
Jun 23, 2016 Misericordia ❣ rated it it was amazing
Q:
Бездеятельность - лекарство от хаоса.

Пусть темная ночь пройдет. В жизни постоянно лишь одно — ее переменчивая природа. Дикие животные хорошо это понимают. После щедрого лета приходит суровая зима, а за ней следует весна. Среди всех божьих созданий только человек встречает паникой любые перемены.

Живите так, как будто живете чужой жизнью. Тогда вы ощутите невероятную свободу и облегчение, а ваше отношение ко всему изменится.
Если ваша жизнь вам кажется невыносимой, тогда представьте себе, что это
Kirtida Gautam
Apr 20, 2016 Kirtida Gautam rated it it was amazing
Shelves: self-help
Fight back when you have been wronged, Find your inner warrior and conquer all in your path. Unchain your primitive killer instincts for a life-affirming cause.

I needed this book at this point in my life. I have written a novel named #iAm16iCan-- inspired by the Delhi rape case 2012-- that delves deeply into the psychology of gender violence in Indian society. How misogyny and patriarchy fuels sexual violence in India.
My next books in Yin Yang Series also talks how prejudice fuels gender viole
David
Within the context Thick Face Black Heart was recommended to me I expected something other than what I read. Perhaps the wisdom I sought was hidden for that reason.

I can see that my approach in past situations could have been thicker and blacker on occasions. To have been more protective of those who have sought advantage over me. That is useful.

The style of writing makes it possible to pick up any section and gain some value. Personally I found this approach often confusing. The sections were
Liz Liz
Apr 19, 2013 Liz Liz rated it it was amazing
salah satu koleksi buku tahun 90an yang masih bertahan dirak buku saya

konklusi yang saya dapat bahwa kebanyakan orang yang sukses mempunyai satu sifat yang menonjol yaitu, "keras kepala" utk mencapai tujuan

agar tetap fokus utk mencapai tujuan maka dalam proses dibutuhkan "mental baja" dalam menghadapi segala macam rintangan didepan (thick face)

kadang dalam prosesnya perlu menelan hal2 tidak sesuai dgn hati nurani (black heart)

buku yang unik dan pada eranya dan banyak menelan kritikan tajam .. ar
Elegant Blossom
Jan 04, 2016 Elegant Blossom rated it it was amazing
Shelves: self-development
All the mental disciplines and state of thinkings conveyed in the book were very familiar to me. However, Chu did a great job to systematize them and conduct a personal book of wisdoms. I am not 100% sure about how the application and its results work in reality, because in a sense, the concept of 'thick face, black heart' is quite abstract and less likely verified. Speaking from my intuition, I have the feeling that this is a useful piece of life guidance, especially to maintain the unshakably ...more
Aziemah
Sep 10, 2016 Aziemah rated it it was amazing
this book provided an honest and refreshing insight into how the world and its complex human relationships work. it is very no-nonsense and this is clearly expressed through its simple and rigid sort of writing. you may find that some advice needs to be taken with a pinch of salt, but overall, the book is the sort of life manual you wished someone had told you about - not because it offers something you have to acquire, rather, it offers something that you've known to be true all this while. in ...more
Rocky Schulz
Sep 02, 2016 Rocky Schulz rated it it was amazing
The reason why this book is so good is that it destroys the false humility and fear of criticism that many of us in Western culture grow up with. It is difficult to be worry free about others' opinions, but Chin-Ning Chu describes examples and techniques that teach how to dominate your destiny without regard to anyone else’s opinion. This book is for leadership, strategy, and everyday life. Be humble, be confident, and act in your best interests rather than the interests of others.

Dal Rich
Feb 14, 2016 Dal Rich rated it it was amazing
Voted My Best Book of the year 2015! I have pages of notes that I took while reading this book. To have a thick face is similar to having thick skin; you can't become victim to what others might think about what you say or do. Having a black heart means that you do what it takes to meet your objectives. The idea behind the book is to be thick skinned, driven and passionate about your goals, while being able to enrich others as you pursue your own motives.
Ngoc
Read 5-6 years ago and abandoned it right after several pages because of the "deceptive" and "unethical" sense it gives to readers.
Read again this year because I'm working towards the 2016 reading challenge list that my best friend gives me, which includes 'Finish a book you abandoned.'
I still don't accept a lot of points in the book but I understand it better now.
Chris Gallacher
Apr 16, 2014 Chris Gallacher rated it it was ok
To summarise this book. Your 'Thick Face' is your self confidence. How well you take criticism. Your 'Black Heart' is making the difficult decisions. That is it. There are some good points in it but they are just regurgitated. Overall a boring read that was more of a chore than anything else to read.
Jack Davies
Mar 17, 2014 Jack Davies rated it really liked it
I found this book made me switch viewpoints. I don't always believe in the many spiritual reasonings but that his suggestions work even without mysticism. Especially such points as everything is as it should be and once you've done all you can then you should stop trying to control and allow events to unfold.
Ellen Whyte
Jan 04, 2013 Ellen Whyte rated it it was ok
Fascinating insight into how the author thinks, and no doubt very accurate when it comes to describing "pointy haired bosses" but not a way of doing business or being that I would advocate. Useful read though if you're dealing with nasty people. Not brilliantly written; could do with a good editor.

Jeffrey
Mar 19, 2008 Jeffrey rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This one has a lot of classic success information that is critical knowledge that is missing in today's hyper-competitive world market. This is essential reading, along with the other classics such as Think and Grow Rich.
Machdum Yuwono
It's great book with combination of wise-old Chinesse and modern thinking of Chin Ning Chu. That is combination of East and West. You will change the way you're thinking after reading this book ... and I never say finish to read this book.
Mickygoestoschool
Mar 16, 2013 Mickygoestoschool rated it it was ok
Things the author said in the book are true, somehow the book managed to influence me to think ngatively about many things. I quit reading it. There's just too much negativity to deal with in real life already and this book makes it look even clearer.
Ramboleblanc
Jul 03, 2008 Ramboleblanc rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Evryone can learn from this one! Life, Love, Business, People, all from Asain point of veiw which is ruthless but how we really are, we just as Americans call it differntly or have situational standerds
Nathan
Sep 21, 2013 Nathan rated it liked it
Shelves: read-again
I have skimmed through this book and I find it to be a somewhat low-brow but still motivational work. I would not read it through in one sitting. I will continue to peruse it from time to time and use it as bus-reading material.
good 1 16 Feb 21, 2010 08:17PM
  • No B.S. Ruthless Management of People and Profits: No Holds Barred, Kick Butt, Take-No-Prisoners Guide to Really Getting Rich
  • Find Your Strongest Life: What the Happiest and Most Successful Women Do Differently
  • Qigong Meditation: Embryonic Breathing
  • Secrets of Great Rainmakers: The Keys to Success and Wealth
  • Putting the One Minute Manager to Work: How to Turn the 3 Secrets into Skills
  • Maximum Muscle, Minimum Fat: The Secret Science Behind Physical Transformation
  • Type Talk at Work: How the 16 Personality Types Determine Your Success on the Job
  • A Mosque in Munich: Nazis, the CIA, and the Rise of the Muslim Brotherhood in the West
  • Endless Referrals: Network Your Everyday Contacts into Sales
  • The Fetch (The Runestone Saga, #1)
  • Muscles: Testing and Function, with Posture and Pain: Includes a Bonus Primal Anatomy CD-ROM
  • The Wisdom of Mike Mentzer: The Art, Science, and Philosophy of a Bodybuilding Legend
  • Smart Trust: How People, Companies, and Countries Are Prospering from High Trust in a Low Trust World
  • The Hidden Words
  • In Search of the Warrior Spirit: Teaching Awareness Disciplines to the Green Berets
  • Narcissism: Denial of the True Self
  • Xena: Warrior Princess
  • Character Analysis

“Our negative life situations are essential elements for us to fulfill our intended destiny. However, unless we possess the power of endurance to live through the dark of the night, we will not see the glory of daybreak.” 11 likes
“Success also requires the courage to risk disapproval. Most independent thought, new ideas, or endeavors beyond the common measure are greeted with disapproval, and ranging from skepticism and ridicule to violent outrage. To persevere in anything exceptional requires inner strength and the unshakable conviction that you are right.” 8 likes