Start by marking “Thick Face, Black Heart: The Asian Path to Thriving, Winning & Succeeding” as Want to Read:
Thick Face, Black Heart: The Asian Path to Thriving, Winning & Succeeding

Thick Face, Black Heart: The Asian Path to Thriving, Winning & Succeeding

4.0 of 5 stars 4.00  ·  rating details  ·  549 ratings  ·  50 reviews
This guide fuses the wisdom of the East and West, and explores how ancient Asian battle strategies and cultural mindsets can be applied today to achieve mental toughness and winning business techniques.
Published April 1st 1995 by Nicholas Brealey Publishing (first published July 1992)

To ask other readers questions about Thick Face, Black Heart, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Thick Face, Black Heart

Bing Bing  Chang
Nice book. Gives a very good insight on how to be victor and not a victim. By reading this book you get an impression that nobody's perfect as a matter of fact everybody has done something in their lives that they thought was really grossly stupid or out of line. But at the end of the day life is not about what you've done before but if you are willing to accept yourself and move on. Life is about how far are willing to go to pay the price to success. The people who accept themselves their (stre ...more
To see why see why I love Chin Ning Chu’s masterful book, just read some of the 45 reader reviews on “Motivation and success book for grown-ups.” “Machiavelli meets the Dalai Lama.” “You need no other book!”

Granted, no single book will suit every taste. So it is not surprising that some readers criticize this one. It takes on a gargantuan task: seeking to explain something of the Asian way of thinking to Western folks. Yet with China soon to be the number 1 trading partner for MANY
Jake Danishevsky
This book was strongly recommended to me by my master. As soon as I opened it, I knew that this would be one of the greatest books, which I had a chance to get my hands on. This review will never be able to explain and do justice to the actual contents of what is inside.

Ms. Chin-Ning Chu has been a consultant for various organizations. She has been a business liaison between American and Asian Corporations for many years. She gave speeches and conferences on variety of subjects in business devel
Patrick Wallace
This is one of those books which you often see in the Asian section of bookstores, purporting to relate some long, lost mystical secret of the Orient, but actually offering up junk psychology in Asian garb.

The conceit of this book is that it is offering up ancient, accepted wisdom. However, it certainly is not, The Thick Black Theory has its origins in the writings of Li Zongwu (1879-1944), a failed bureaucrat in the late Qing Dynasty. Li felt that the path to success lay in the pursuit of unbr
One of the most important books on life I have so far read.
Gregg Bell
Sometimes these eastern mysticism/self-help books make me feel mean.

Reading them are like watching Kung-Fu movies. I mean, c'mon be honest, after you watch a Bruce Lee movie don't you feel like giving somebody a karate chop? (Even if it's only the mailman.)

Thick Face, Black Heart delivers on fueling the desire to karate chop the mailman. How could it not with "Black Heart" in the title? This book is about wiping your enemies out. But it's about much more, as well.

It's really a hodge-podge of thi
This book was recommended long time ago by my former boss, Mr. Choong when I was working as junior staff. It taught me how to be tough at work and in general life. Thank you, Sir!
Chris Gallacher
To summarise this book. Your 'Thick Face' is your self confidence. How well you take criticism. Your 'Black Heart' is making the difficult decisions. That is it. There are some good points in it but they are just regurgitated. Overall a boring read that was more of a chore than anything else to read.
Jack Davies
I found this book made me switch viewpoints. I don't always believe in the many spiritual reasonings but that his suggestions work even without mysticism. Especially such points as everything is as it should be and once you've done all you can then you should stop trying to control and allow events to unfold.
Within the context Thick Face Black Heart was recommended to me I expected something other than what I read. Perhaps the wisdom I sought was hidden for that reason.

I can see that my approach in past situations could have been thicker and blacker on occasions. To have been more protective of those who have sought advantage over me. That is useful.

The style of writing makes it possible to pick up any section and gain some value. Personally I found this approach often confusing. The sections were
Nilesh Karani
Just brilliant. A must for everyone. It's declutters internal battle between being good, maintain integrity, getting things done without allowing any one from outside to damage you morally or financially.
Tikiri Herath
One of the few books that made an immense impact in how I viewed the world, and myself.
Keep this book within easy reach. You will refer to it a lot in your lifetime!
Liz Liz
salah satu koleksi buku tahun 90an yang masih bertahan dirak buku saya

konklusi yang saya dapat bahwa kebanyakan orang yang sukses mempunyai satu sifat yang menonjol yaitu, "keras kepala" utk mencapai tujuan

agar tetap fokus utk mencapai tujuan maka dalam proses dibutuhkan "mental baja" dalam menghadapi segala macam rintangan didepan (thick face)

kadang dalam prosesnya perlu menelan hal2 tidak sesuai dgn hati nurani (black heart)

buku yang unik dan pada eranya dan banyak menelan kritikan tajam .. ar
Ernie Starr
easy read challenging behaviours
Vlad Kitaynik
I would not recommend this book to anybody. It makes me think that lying is good and Japanese are idiots. There is no deep wisdom in it.
As someone who wants to face-down their insecurities, because bottom-line, those prevent us from achiving great relationships and success in life, I found this book a help. It is one that I will need to go back and read every other year, much like "How to Win Friends and Influence People", to apply continueous improvement to my own life.
Ellen Whyte
Fascinating insight into how the author thinks, and no doubt very accurate when it comes to describing "pointy haired bosses" but not a way of doing business or being that I would advocate. Useful read though if you're dealing with nasty people. Not brilliantly written; could do with a good editor.

Carmela Pama
I've been reading and re reading this book for several years - to get ahead - you do need a thick face and black heart!!!
I started reading this book back in the 90's, very eye opening. Unfortunately, it took the same path of so many great books - unfinished reading pile! But it impressed me so much, I've held onto it with the hopes of reading again, through completely next time!
Things the author said in the book are true, somehow the book managed to influence me to think ngatively about many things. I quit reading it. There's just too much negativity to deal with in real life already and this book makes it look even clearer.
Machdum Yuwono
It's great book with combination of wise-old Chinesse and modern thinking of Chin Ning Chu. That is combination of East and West. You will change the way you're thinking after reading this book ... and I never say finish to read this book.
I have skimmed through this book and I find it to be a somewhat low-brow but still motivational work. I would not read it through in one sitting. I will continue to peruse it from time to time and use it as bus-reading material.
This one has a lot of classic success information that is critical knowledge that is missing in today's hyper-competitive world market. This is essential reading, along with the other classics such as Think and Grow Rich.
Evryone can learn from this one! Life, Love, Business, People, all from Asain point of veiw which is ruthless but how we really are, we just as Americans call it differntly or have situational standerds
Rosa M.
a must read of all businessmen and those who plan to put a business.. could very well influence personal decisions also in as far as dealing with other people which is the main activity of our lives
Jimi Bostock
A book that brings the most ancient wisdoms from the east into the business world. It's a daunting read but it gives you a lot of insight into the dharma of business, as the Indians would call it.
Sally Siawidjaja
Read it 5 years ago. I don't really remember the content or the message just one idea that sometime Procrastinate can have its advantage. Yeay.. I think I should read the book again...
Somewhat in the style of all the Art of War business books. It started out with a couple of great chapters, but quickly devolved into an odd Christian interpretation of the Dharma.
A fascinating look into the thoughts, pragmatism and ancient philosophy of the Chinese approach to life, And how this philosophy is being used in the modern business world...
good 1 15 Feb 21, 2010 08:17PM
  • No B.S. Ruthless Management of People and Profits: No Holds Barred, Kick Butt, Take-No-Prisoners Guide to Really Getting Rich
  • Type Talk at Work: How the 16 Personality Types Determine Your Success on the Job
  • Find Your Strongest Life: What the Happiest and Most Successful Women Do Differently
  • Putting the One Minute Manager to Work: How to Turn the 3 Secrets into Skills
  • Endless Referrals: Network Your Everyday Contacts into Sales
  • Smart Trust: How People, Companies, and Countries Are Prospering from High Trust in a Low Trust World
  • Moments of Truth
  • A Mosque in Munich: Nazis, the CIA, and the Rise of the Muslim Brotherhood in the West
  • Character Analysis
  • The Language of the Body
  • Maximum Muscle, Minimum Fat: The Secret Science Behind Physical Transformation
  • The Fetch (The Runestone Saga, #1)
  • Introduction to Aristotle
  • The Secret of the Ages
  • Facebook Marketing: An Hour a Day
  • Xena: Warrior Princess
  • Design
  • New Psycho-Cybernetics
The Art of War for Women: Sun Tzu's Ancient Strategies and Wisdom for Winning at Work Do Less, Achieve More: Discover the Hidden Power of Giving In Asian Mind Game Working Woman's Art of War: Winning Without Confrontation Thick Face, Black Heart: The Warrior Philosophy for Conquering the Challenges of Business and Life

“Our negative life situations are essential elements for us to fulfill our intended destiny. However, unless we possess the power of endurance to live through the dark of the night, we will not see the glory of daybreak.” 11 likes
“Challenge your limitations for the pure joy of challenge.” 8 likes