Start by marking “Letters from the Land of Cancer” as Want to Read:
Letters from the Land of Cancer

Letters from the Land of Cancer

3.99  ·  Rating Details  ·  80 Ratings  ·  15 Reviews
In this Ebook, Letters from the land of Cancer, award-winning writer Walter Wangerin Jr. offers his profound insights into the greatest challenge we face: confronting our own mortality. Diagnosed with inoperable lung cancer in January 2006, Wangerin began writing letters to his friends and family members. Now he offers these intimate letters to all who ask questions about ...more
Published February 2nd 2010 by Zondervan (first published January 15th 2010)

To ask other readers questions about Letters from the Land of Cancer, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Letters from the Land of Cancer

Kelly
Mar 10, 2015 Kelly rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: my-reviews
My favorite parts of this book ~

Virginia, my elegant mother, lays her cheek against mine and sings:

I am Jesus' little lamb,
Ever glad at heart I am.
For my Shepherd gently guides me,
Knows my need and well provides me,
Loves me every day the same,
Even calls me by my name.
Day by day, at home, away,
Jesus is my Staff and Stay.
When I hunger, Jesus feeds me,
Into pleasant pastures leads me;
When I thirst, He bids me go
Where the quiet waters flow.
Who so happy as I am,
Even now the Shepherd's lamb?
And when my
Tamara
Dec 17, 2013 Tamara rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Everyone
Read in two days. On my must read before you die list! If ever someone is suffering, I'm going to give them that book! Whether it be cancer or any type of severe suffering, this is now my top book to help people understand God and suffering.

1 of my top 4 books of 2013. The others are:

The Immortal Life of Henrietta Lacks

Hammer of God

The Invisible Wall: A Love Story That Broke Barriers
Vicki_Loves_Libraries
n December 2005, Walter Wangerin Jr.felt a lump above his clavicle by chance when he reached for a can on a grocery shelf. It was Stage IIIB Non-Small Cell Lung Cancer. The cancer had metastacized from his lung to his lymph nodes, but had not yet reached distant organs. It was still isolated to the chest area.

Walter Wangerin Jr is an award-winning author of over twenty books. His best-known stories include The Book of God: The Bible as a Novel and The Book of the Dun Cow. Wangerin Jr. was a sen
Tom
Mar 12, 2010 Tom rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is a beautifully written and honest collection of letters and reflections from a prolific author on his experience with the cancer that will one day kill him. Wangerin is a Lutheran pastor and professor at Valparaiso University. His writing weaves together faith and frailty, detailed accounts both of the decline of his body and the acuity of his spiritual journey throughout.
The bulk of the writing is group letters sent to family and friends. A few letters never sent are included, as well as
Tim
Jun 16, 2012 Tim rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is a small and moving book. In a series of letters to friends and family Wangerin reflects on cancer, its treatment, its pain, and the selfishness it looses in him. He also revels in the family and community that support him. Rodney Reeves in his book on Paul's spirituality reflects on the general American Christian avoidance of death, "Just once I'd like to hear someone boast of the miracle of God's grace for the one who died. Her courage as she celebrated life in the middle of dying." Wan ...more
Jim B
I read this book at the time that my friend Carl found himself diagnosed with stage 4 cancer. There are many similarities with Walt Wangerin's life -- so it was easy to enter into the world of someone who suddenly sees everything through the eyes of someone with a cancer diagnosis.

As a man of faith, I could also relate to Wangerin's thoughts on another level.

I enjoyed how Wangerin described (near the end of the book) the change in the nature of time -- usually we think in terms of moving quickly
Karen Kritsch
May 19, 2014 Karen Kritsch rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Author, writer, member of Christ, and patient come together to tell of his personal cancer journey. Articulate and balanced. I listened to him at Valpo and years later it is his words I seek, as he shares realities of the presence of cancer in Christian and human life.
Rhonda Mcanulty
Jul 15, 2014 Rhonda Mcanulty rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Inspirational. I related to so much of what he wrote, and yet he wrote it in such an intellectual manner. Inspiring me to update my blog!
Jake Willems
Apr 07, 2015 Jake Willems rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A powerful meditation on life and faith in the midst of tragedy.
Patty
Wangerin is an amazing man. Very few of us would be able to share such intimate parts of their life. And that is what makes this book so good. Wangerin is living the last part of his life and he is willing to share it all with his readers. There are now many more things I understand about the land of cancer.

For two years, Walter Wangerin wrote to friends and family about his terminal illness, lung cancer. We are blessed that he is willing to share these letters and his faith in God with the outs
Kara Bennett
Sometimes the meditations were a bit abstract for me. However, the perspective on death and pain is unique and worth reflecting upon.
Hunter Johnson
Rending autobiographical account of the author's progression through cancer and its treatment. If that description doesn't immediately make it a non-starter for you, recommended.
Christine
Jul 04, 2013 Christine rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Walgerin is an excellent writer and this intimate account of the letters he wrote to friends and family while undergoing lung cancer treatment was insightful and touching.
Jane
Apr 19, 2012 Jane rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The book was well written. I appreciated the openess of the author as he told of his experience with cancer
Jacquie
Powerfully written and honest.
Carolyn Hansen
Carolyn Hansen marked it as to-read
Aug 08, 2016
Maymaytang
Maymaytang marked it as to-read
Jul 30, 2016
Kelsey Miller
Kelsey Miller marked it as to-read
Jul 17, 2016
Autumn
Autumn rated it it was ok
Jul 25, 2016
Deanna Witte
Deanna Witte marked it as to-read
Jul 05, 2016
Deeon
Deeon marked it as to-read
Jul 26, 2016
Ebookwormy
Ebookwormy marked it as to-read
May 05, 2016
Heather
Heather rated it liked it
May 01, 2016
Austin Riley
Austin Riley marked it as to-read
Feb 16, 2016
Justin Edgar
Justin Edgar marked it as to-read
Feb 15, 2016
Tim Scott
Tim Scott rated it it was amazing
Feb 14, 2016
Lisa
Lisa added it
Feb 06, 2016
L Arbour
L Arbour marked it as to-read
Jan 29, 2016
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »
cancer 1 1 Feb 02, 2013 09:22AM
  • The Attentive Life: Discerning God's Presence in All Things
  • Disquiet Time: Rants and Reflections on the Good Book by the Skeptical, the Faithful, and a Few Scoundrels
  • Seeing Gray in a World of Black and White: Thoughts on Religion, Morality, and Politics
  • The Spirit of Food: Thirty-Four Writers on Feasting and Fasting Toward God
  • Practicing Resurrection: A Memoir of Work, Doubt, Discernment, and Moments of Grace
  • Jesus Freak: Feeding Healing Raising the Dead
  • Firstlight: The Early Inspirational Writings of Sue Monk Kidd
  • The Spirituality of the Cross
  • The Sacredness of Questioning Everything
  • Broken Words: The Abuse of Science and Faith in American Politics
  • Church Refugees: Sociologists reveal why the dechurched left… and what they're hoping to find
  • Watch for the Light: Readings for Advent and Christmas
  • Rescuing Jesus: How People of Color, Women, and Queer Christians are Reclaiming Evangelicalism
  • Hidden Inheritance: Family Secrets, Memory, and Faith
Walter Wangerin Jr. is widely recognized as one of the most gifted writers writing today on the issues of faith and spirituality. Starting with the renowned Book of the Dun Cow, Wangerin's writing career has encompassed most every genre: fiction, essay, short story, children's story, meditation, and biblical exposition. His writing voice is immediately recognizable, and his fans number in the mill ...more
More about Walter Wangerin Jr....