Start by marking “Miss Julia Hits the Road (Miss Julia, #4)” as Want to Read:
Miss Julia Hits the Road (Miss Julia, #4)

Miss Julia Hits the Road (Miss Julia #4)

4.01  ·  Rating Details ·  3,451 Ratings  ·  167 Reviews
Miss Julia—that Southern spitfire of a certain age who is never less than charming, even when she’s at her most opinionated—has been praised by Fannie Flagg as “one of the most delightful characters to come along in years.” Don't miss Ann Ross's newest,  Miss Julia Weathers The Storm, coming April 2017 from Viking.

In Miss Julia Hits the Road, she is becoming increasingly c
Published (first published March 31st 2003)

To ask other readers questions about Miss Julia Hits the Road, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Miss Julia Hits the Road

Michele
May 30, 2012 Michele rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fluff
Miss Julia cracks me up. These books are not great literary works of fiction. They are wonderfully entertaining and a quick, fun read.
Amber Jones
Sep 26, 2011 Amber Jones rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
How hard can you laugh when reading a book?

If it's the Miss Julia series the answer is hard enough to cry and get a headache.

Miss Julia needs to raise money to save Miss Lillian's neighborhood from being bulldozed. A very large donation has been offered if she rides in a poker run. To say that the whole situation was comical is an understatement.

A quote from Miss Julia Takes A Ride:

"Hazel Marie finished by tucking the sides of my coat under each leg, where I hoped it would stay, else everybody
Linda
May 23, 2011 Linda rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Miss Julia on a motorcycle? No way! But all for a good cause... Miss Julia's long-time housekeeper Lillian has been evicted from her home along with all of her neighbors. The owner of the property wants to bulldoze all the houses and put up a water bottling plant using the spring water on the hill, rumored to do wonderful things for a man. Miss Julia intercedes to buy the houses and land but the scoundrel who owns it will only talk if Miss Julia puts her own home on the line. So where to come up ...more
Peggy Sinden
Aug 31, 2013 Peggy Sinden rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book held my interest from the start to the end. I can just imagine what Julia is thinking, doing, and causing in her efforts to be a lady. Riding on a motorcycle for a good cause was the icing on the cake. Goes to show you what can happen when people of all kinds rally behind a good deed. There is a lesson here and I hope we have learned that it is indeed possible that when it is worth it, 'Go For It'! Enjoy!
Surabhi
Sep 14, 2016 Surabhi rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction
A good book for a teenager, who's trying to get started reading. Language is very basic.
Molly Cline
5 star PLUS!!! A new favorite!

Oh my goodness! I feel in love with this book within the first few minutes I started listening to it. A combination of Designing Women, Driving Miss Daisy and Golden Girls all mixed up into one! Even though this was book 4 of this series I was in no way lost within the story. All the characters are easy to understand who they are and who they are to each other. Their community etc. You can't help but fall in love with them!

And for those of you not used to us "South
Loraine
Apr 18, 2014 Loraine rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I have read several of the Miss Julia books and will read them all before I'm through. They are light, and funny, and thought provoking, and fun. I would love to live with Miss Julia, or at least have her for a friend. She is witty, funny, strong, down to earth, kind and sensible. It's just a fun place to be, especially when things aren't going so well in my own life. It's nice to escape into a more relaxed, easy environment.
Judy
Nov 05, 2016 Judy rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I already had this audiobook on hold at the library, otherwise I wouldn't have listened to it so soon after reading a previous Miss Julia book. But, as expected this is a light-hearted story with a bit of drama and Miss Julia right in the middle of things. She come to the aid of Lillian, her friend and housekeeper, who along with neighbors is losing their homes. Definitely better in audio IMHO.
Susan
Aug 20, 2009 Susan rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The Miss Julia series of books is very enjoyable. Occasionally there may be a slow spot in a book, but read through. You will find yourself wanting the next one to see just what she is up to.
Virma
Jul 02, 2014 Virma rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
If you love- " I Love Lucy" then Miss Julia Books are for you! Hilarious hi-jinks!
Catherine
A fun you story with unique characters. However they didn't tell me who Hazel Marie was or how old Little Loyld was. This was my first read in this series. Had to research to find out about the characters. Still I would love to meet Miss Julia. She was a hoot.
Susan Kosel
Feb 18, 2017 Susan Kosel rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Miss Julia is at it again.
Susan
Jan 11, 2017 Susan rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Fun little book
Tinika
Miss Julia is tough, kind-hearted and opinionated. Way too opinionated to easily identify or sympathize with. She is a Southern lady of “a certain age” and she knows the proper way to behave in all situations; however, for those she cares about, she is willing to place herself out on a limb or, at least, on the back of a motorcycle. This is a major concession from one who views trousers on a woman as a serious faux pas.

Miss Julia’s housekeeper, Lillian, is in danger of losing her home to an unsc
Leslie
Sep 17, 2015 Leslie rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Crisis has hit Lillian’s life. Clarence Gibbs, the man who owns Willow Lane, the tract where she rents her house, is evicting her and all her neighbors. He’s got more lucrative plans for the property: a water bottling plant.

Learning of this raises Julia’s outrage as well as her determination to find a way to help Lillian and her neighbors. It also raises curiosity: why a water bottling plant? Turns out there’s a spring on the property whose water is purported to have rejuvenating powers. That’s
Victoria Miller
Nov 20, 2016 Victoria Miller rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
So, I started reading this last evening, and finished it at 3 a.m. While reading, I occasionally looked out the window, where the huge night sky was scudded with clouds and a big, brilliant golden half moon appeared and disappeared, and was often caught in wonderful little vignettes of squares or circles of light with whisps of clouds swirling and playing around it. Magical moments. And a lot of LOL moments in this latest story, where once again Miss Julia rises to the occasion, even if it means ...more
Patty
Nov 08, 2009 Patty rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I do enjoy most of my time spent with Miss Julia and her cast of friends and acquaintances. Having said that it seems that in every book Miss Julia has to do something that is so totally stupid as to be almost enough to make me stop reading the book. Nothing different this time there is that one "duh" thing. I realize it moves the story forward, I realize it creates a lot of tension but really, couldn't someone *else* do the stupid thing instead of this remarkable smart woman?

I did have to laug
Linda
Sep 17, 2013 Linda rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: from-library
Roberta
Jun 06, 2015 Roberta rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction
Miss Julia is a conventional Southern woman of a certain age. This book is the fourth in the series but the first one that I've read. I picked up 7 books in the series at a library sale because they looked to be an American South version of the Miss Read books. Like the Miss Read books, this series turned out to feature a strong female main character who has survived some of life's trials and continues to be confronted with small-town tribulations that need solving. There is a little humor and t ...more
Carol
Oct 29, 2015 Carol rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I read this book 3-4 years ago and forgot to input it in Goodreads. I remember it quite well, and it is crazy like a lot of her other ones. Things that could only happen to her. I do enjoy most of my time spent with Miss Julia and her cast of friends and acquaintances. I realize it moves the story forward and it creates a lot of tension but really, couldn't someone *else* do the stupid thing instead of this remarkable smart woman?

I did have to laugh at the whole "ride a Harley" theme, Miss Julia
Dharia Scarab

4 sta
Rebecca
Sep 14, 2012 Rebecca rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: amusing
Miss Julia is a straight laced older southern woman. This makes for some hilarious scenarios. I wavered between two stars and three and settled on three only because I got a huge belly laugh out of the middle of the book that left me in tears and giggling from time to time for about an hour later - any book that can make me laugh like that does not deserve two stars.

Squeaky Clean? - they take the Lord's name in vain every page it would seem and there are a couple cuss words. Also, there is a ru
K
Feb 15, 2008 K rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: humor
Miss Julia is becoming increasingly concerned about her gentleman friend, Sam, who has suddenly started wearing cowboy boots, sending her flowers, and writing bad poetry. And when he shows up on a Harley-Davidson Road King and asks her to hop on, she's convinced he's lost his mind. Meanwhile, her invaluable housekeeper, Lillian, has been evicted from her home by her greedy landlord. Deciding that Lillian's need is greater than her own fear (not to mention loss of dignity), Miss Julia takes Sam u ...more
Nancy
I love the Miss Julia Book series. The characters are fun and interesting. Miss Julia is always doing something to help other people, and she gets herself into trouble. This is the fourth book, where Miss Julia is courted by Sam, which was good to see how the two came together. I have read the books, where Sam and Julia are married. I had checked out all of the audio books, that were currently in our public library. I looked at the list of Miss Julia books, on goodreads.com, and then I requested ...more
Tuppermalone
I read this following Miss Julia Speaks Her Mind and realized I wouldn't be reading anymore Miss Julia novels. The first was new and amusing though not great literature. The second was followed the formula of the first and was not nearly so entertaining. There seems to be a pattern of presenting the problem with the same characters involved and Miss Julia solving the problem with at least one road trip. I may be wrong about this but not inclined to find if it be the truth, not wanting to a read ...more
Donna LaValley
In #4, the still prim and proper, dress-wearing Miss Julia winds up participating in a motorcycle event to raise money for an important cause: rescuing Lillian’s entire neighborhood from an unscrupulous business endeavor. The scenes are funny and vivid, even realistic (wearing leather slacks 2 sizes too small, changing clothes in a tiny cafe bathroom), but again, criminals are unreported despite Miss Julia’s many connections to the police and the law, and lapses like that undermine the story and ...more
Sara Truog
This is a dingaling sort of a series - they're cute but of no lasting value. Reminiscent of the At Home In Mitford series. I read several Miss Julia books a while back and picked this up as a palate-cleanser (needed a break from huge teen dragon novels). It was fine, but I'm not going to tell anyone to rush out and get it. I feel I've mined the best of what Miss Julia has to offer... there are other books in the series but I think I'm done.
Laura Beth
This one started out a little slower but quickly picked up. Miss Julia is surprised by Lillian's circumstance and quickly decides that if anyone is going to save the day, it's going to be her, of course. With Hazel Marie and Mr. Pickens on the rocks, Sam's strange behavior along with Binkie ready to deliver any minute, I mean who's left to fix the world? Ross keeps me laughing out loud which is not the easiest thing to do! Can't wait til I can get to the next one!
Dawn Branch
Aug 29, 2012 Dawn Branch rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The adventures of Miss Julia is captured by Ann B. Ross in this popular series. While this is not high literature, I thoroughly enjoy the situations that Miss Julia finds herself in. She is like a madcap Angela Lansbury careening through her small southern town trying to please everyone while dealing with her many personal crazy friends and relations. These are hilarious and often you can't put them down. I don't know why they never made this into a comedy series.
Maurean
May 30, 2008 Maurean rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
When Lillian is being evicted from her home, Miss Julia and her friends raise money to try and buy the homes from the landlord, Clarence Gibbs, by riding in a motorcycle Poker Run with Sam on his new Harley.
Binkie gives birth to a baby girl, and JD's 2nd wife shows up to stake her claim, much to the portesting of Hazel Marie.

This was highly enjoyable - just as good, if not better, than the first book of this series. Can't wait for #5 (out in 2004)
  • Christmas in Harmony (Harmony, #2.5)
  • Dearest Dorothy, Are We There Yet? (Dearest Dorothy, #1)
  • Out to Pasture: But Not over the Hill
  • The Ladies of Covington Send Their Love (Ladies of Covington, #1)
  • The Mitford Bedside Companion: A Treasury of Favorite Mitford Moments, Author Reflections on the Bestselling Se ries, and More. Much More.
  • A Miracle for St. Cecilia's
  • Family Linen
  • The Quilter's Homecoming (Elm Creek Quilts, #10)
  • Murder Runs in the Family (Southern Sisters, #3)
  • Forever Friends (Hope Springs #3)
Ann B. Ross, who taught literature at the University of North Carolina at Asheville, is the author of Miss Julia Speaks Her Mind, one of the most popular Southern debut novels in years, Miss Julia Takes Over, Miss Julia Throws a Wedding, and Miss Julia Hits the Road. She lives in Hendersonville, North Carolina.
More about Ann B. Ross...

Miss Julia (1 - 10 of 18 books)
  • Miss Julia Speaks Her Mind (Miss Julia, #1)
  • Miss Julia Takes Over (Miss Julia, #2)
  • Miss Julia Throws a Wedding (Miss Julia, #3)
  • Miss Julia Meets Her Match (Miss Julia, #5)
  • Miss Julia's School of Beauty (Miss Julia, #6)
  • Miss Julia Stands Her Ground (Miss Julia, #7)
  • Miss Julia Strikes Back (Miss Julia, #8)
  • Miss Julia Paints the Town (Miss Julia, #9)
  • Miss Julia Delivers the Goods (Miss Julia, #10)
  • Miss Julia Renews Her Vows (Miss Julia, #11)