Start by marking “The Captains (Brotherhood Of War, #2)” as Want to Read:
The Captains (Brotherhood Of War, #2)

The Captains (Brotherhood of War #2)

4.25 of 5 stars 4.25  ·  rating details  ·  3,314 ratings  ·  37 reviews
It was more than an incident. It was a deadly assault across the 38th parallel. It was the Korean War.
In the fear and the frenzy of battle, those who had served with heroism before were called again by America to man the trenches and sandbag bunkers.
From Pusan to the Yalu, they drove forward with commands too new and tanks too old, brothers in war, bonded together in bat
Kindle Edition
Published (first published June 1st 1982)

To ask other readers questions about The Captains, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Captains

Mike (the Paladin)
The lives of the characters we met in The Lieutenants continue here. Today on the news I heard a story of a captain who was just awarded the Congressional Medal of Honor. It seems he was nominated for the decoration over a year ago (19 months I believe) but it had been "lost" in the army bureaucracy. The captain's superiors have also been disciplined. The captain has retired and has been unemployed since he left the army. You see he'd been vocal about the army's policies in rules of engagement e ...more
Alec Sutherland
WEB Griffin's Brotherhood of War book 2: The Captains is a good read. The book is set during the Korean War and follows the same characters as the first Brotherhood of War book. The idea behind the book is to tell the story of a few US Army soldiers who fought in various ways during the Korean War as well as the stories of their families at home and abroad. In general the book is well written and the story well developed. The the Historical events that appear in the book are described accurately ...more
Bob Conner
I first fell in love with Griffin's series beginning with the Corps Series. Then along came Brotherhood of War.

Like The Corps, his characters are engaging and richly colorful. But, the Brotherhood of War, while still very dynamic, seems to focus a little less on the world of war and fighting and more on the culture of the US Army, especially the officer's corps. Reading this series, I was intrigued by the almost country-club like atmosphere Griffin sees in play among the US Army officers and th
Matthew Esham
I'm about 85% percent of the way through, but I dont' think my overall rating will change.

***Spoiler Alert***

The good...
WEB can spin an awesome yarn. The combat scenes and personal interplay are top notch. You feel personally invested in Craig, Sandy, Mac, and Ilse. They are living, breathing people.

The bad...
The same attention to detail that brings the characters to life isn't spared elsewhere. There is so much minutia around even the smallest part of the story that it sometimes feels like you
Thom Swennes
I’s a small world is an aphorism often spoken. When applied to the armed forces and the army in particularly, it isn’t just a dictum but a truism. Army life, in any country, is entirely different that civilian life. It has its own rules, traditions, etiquette and decorum. This is doubly true in the officer’s corps. Not only the officer’s present performance is observed but also that of the past and even that of his wife and family. A soldier or officer can grab the right coat-tails and literally ...more
Richard Palmer
I loved this book. I discovered that there are a total of nine in the series, of which this is only number two. That means I have a good many more to enjoy.

This is the novel that really gives the defining background to Craig Lowell, who I know will be a central character for a few more books. At first, he is ambivalent about the army, having discovered that he is a good combat commander, but still feeling that it is not for him. He goes to Korea and becomes a brilliant success. His personal life
Will
Korean War and Birth of Army Aviation. Rudy McMillan interrupts his aerial taxi driver duties to spring three US adviser officers from the North Korean overrun that begins the Korean War, and is redirected to surveil the invasion columns before bailing to Tokyo to brief MacArthur. Craig Lowell, in Paris to resettle his POW father-in-law is jerked onto active duty and lands as a tank company commander in Pusan, the last toehold of the US after the invasion brunt. After whipping the unit into shap ...more
Ken Dodd
The entire Brotherhood of War series is excellent. Once I read The Lieutenants I couldn't stop until I reached the end of the series. The 9 book series follows a group of characters through their careers in the military from WWII to the Vietnam era.
Kenny Sellards
Awesome sequel to Griffin's "The Lieutenants". Great story with likable characters set in a world we've all read about in our history books! The book will stand alone, but I heartilly recommend starting at the beginning of the series with "The Lieutenants".
Mikel Dawson
I started with this one first not realizing it was a series. I very much enjoyed this book and the entire series. Following each of the characters through their military from start to finish was great. Mr. Griffin has really written a series that kept me wanting for more. As a retired military person, I could relate to much of what was written. I recommend this series to anyone who likes a good series of books to read.
Rebecca
Another awesome read. Love how I get to follow the characters throughout their careers.
Kristin
This book was another entertaining story about guys in the military. I didn't like this book as much as Lieutenants, but it still captured the humor in military service pretty accurately. Lowell is still my favorite officer, by far, and I always look forward to reading the next chapter if it begins with something Lowell does. What's really great is telling Joe about a part of the book, and having him recall a story of his own that relates. I've learned a lot!
William
Mar 11, 2012 William rated it 2 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Old white farts
Griffin's prejudices soil some of this book. And it lacks the discipline of some of his other work in that there is no real theme from start to finish. But it is still entertaining.
Switching to some Forsyth I have acquired after this book took me from rather workmanlike writing to truly good writing. A revealing contrast.
Russianwitch
I went through this series in my 'all things military' phase which lasted quit a while. I think most of the politics which would make the books interesting to me now got missed by my 15 year old self reading them. But I do remember enjoying them regardless but not enough to reread them.
Barbara
Got started on the series, read straight through it. It does give a particular point of view through the history of conflicts, with readable characters. He does not really do a good job with female characters, to my own way of thinking, but the story of the series is compelling.
J.M. Lominy
W.E.B Griffin was one of the required reading as a young marine. I have since continued reading his fabulous drama filled military fiction that kept me company for many years. His well developed recurring characters become friends and even to the point of family.
David Ward
The Captains (Brotherhood of War #2) by W.E.B. Griffin (Jove 1982) (Fiction - Military). The soldiers who fought the Nazis find themselves recalled to military service to sort out the conflict on the Korean Peninsula. My rating: 7/10, finished 1983.
Matt Kurjanowicz
I'm finding these books strangely addicting. It's nice to make believe that they're telling the truth about the general themes of the army (and I think they are). The stories are well written and engaging. On to the next one...
Derek
great continuation of the brotherhood of war series. i didn't realize this until later but the story is about soldiers...but there really is no battle/combat. It's more about the men themselves. I look forward to the majors.
Bryan
This was great. I got so into the characters that I feel like I know them well. That doesn't mean I like all the characters personalities, but they are colorful. The plot is interested and kept me engaged.
David
Mar 07, 2012 David rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to David by: joseph elliott
I could not wait to get to this book after reading The Lieutenants. And I was not disappointed. Finally in the end I read the book from 2 am until 5 am. I had to finish it.
George
Second in a long series takes our heroes through the Korean Conflict. There is lots of action and they all come out of it --some not unscathed. On to "The Majors"!
Judi Niermann
I enjoy this series. You really get to know the characters. I';m looking forward to the next book in the series.
Bill Corkum
An excellent series which any new recruit, or Old soldier will find more than worth the time to read.
Scott Vanzandt
Read these years ago, but I read the Whole Series. Great look inside the Army and Army life.
Julie
I sure wish I made rank as fast as the soldiers in this series.
Robin Halvorson
Just reread this -- because it is one you can read again.
J.W. Thompson
Loved this book and the whole series---read it years ago
Tom & Katrina
Continues the saga. Watch out you will be addicted!
  • Trial by Fire (Scott Dixon, #3)
  • Charlie Mike
  • Cross of Iron
  • Into the Storm: On the Ground in Iraq (Commanders)
  • The Steel Wave (World War II: 1939-1945, #2)
  • Red Phoenix
  • Red Army
  • Sympathy for the Devil
  • Final Flight (Jake Grafton, #3)
  • Flight of the Old Dog (Patrick McLanahan, #1)
  • Fort Pillow
W.E.B. Griffin is one of several pseudonyms for William E. Butterworth III.

From the Authors Website:

W.E.B. Griffin is the #1 best-selling author of more than fifty epic novels in seven series, all of which have made The New York Times, The Wall Street Journal, Publishers Weekly, and other best-seller lists. More than fifty million of the books are in print in more than ten languages, including Heb
More about W.E.B. Griffin...

Brotherhood of War (9 books)
  • The Lieutenants (Brotherhood of War, #1)
  • The Majors (Brotherhood of War, #3)
  • The Colonels (Brotherhood of War, #4)
  • The Berets (Brotherhood of War, #5)
  • The Generals (Brotherhood of War, #6)
  • The New Breed (Brotherhood of War, #7)
  • The Aviators (Brotherhood of War, #8)
  • Special Ops (Brotherhood of War, #9)
The Hostage (Presidential Agent, #2) Semper Fi (The Corps, #1) By Order of the President (Presidential Agent, #1) The Lieutenants (Brotherhood of War, #1) The Berets (Brotherhood of War, #5)

“As far as he was concerned, there were only two kinds of soldiers. There were those who lost their heads at the sound of hostile fire, and those who didn’t. The warriors and the chair-borne.” 0 likes