Start by marking “Cocoa Programming for Mac OS X” as Want to Read:
Cocoa Programming for Mac OS X

Cocoa Programming for Mac OS X

really liked it 4.00  ·  Rating Details  ·  465 Ratings  ·  32 Reviews
The Barnes & Noble Review
Mac developers worldwide are oohing and aahing at Mac OS X and Aqua. Wouldn't it be so cool to be building OS X applications right now? To do it right, though, you've gotta bite the bullet. You need to master Apple's Cocoa framework, and (realistically) you should be working with Apple's language of choice, Objective-C.

While Objective-C isn't

Published May 5th 2008 by Pearson Education (first published December 3rd 2001)

To ask other readers questions about Cocoa Programming for Mac OS X, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Cocoa Programming for Mac OS X

Philip
Dec 11, 2008 Philip rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves:
Ok lets be clear here. I'm the worlds worst programmer! my brain is not wired to programme, I'm thick as two short planks when it comes to programming. I'm like a dog chasing a cat, I always go back for more punishment!!

Great book, but skips through some of the explainations of how individual lines of code are structured and why. Apples reference docs don't give simple examples of how each call works and I find it confusing as I don't easily see how a call should be used.

Having said that the one
Chibimagic
Mar 11, 2009 Chibimagic rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: no one
Recommended to Chibimagic by: Amazon
Shelves: programming
This book tried to teach Cocoa, Objective-C, and Xcode at the same time and failed pretty miserably. The book is organized around example programs, not programming concepts, so it's pretty much impossible to go back and skim to find a particular bit of code or concept.

This book teaches you how to read Objective-C, not how to write it. The author encourages you to copy-paste the code a lot or retype it verbatim. Instead of practicing what was just covered, the exercises either have you repeat the
Michael
Nov 23, 2008 Michael rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is how technical books should be written. If you want to learn Cocoa programming for Mac OS X, I highly recommend this book.

The author does an excellent job of walking the reader through the need-to-know parts of developing Cocoa software on the Mac. His style is very approachable. A breadth of fresh air, a technical book that does NOT read like a cryptic UNIX man page. Hillegass "gets" his audience.

I would not recommend this book to a beginner or non-programmer. A decent understanding of o
Laurence Scotford
Apr 07, 2013 Laurence Scotford rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: programming
A really thorough and highly recommended introduction to programming Cocoa on Mac OS X. What I loved about this book is that almost every technical detail that is discussed is illustrated with simple example applications that can quickly be built and run.

I'd also recommend completing the challenges in the book. Some of them are quite stretching for programmers that are new to Cocoa, but I probably learnt as much again from completing the challenges as I did from following along with examples.

Thi
Ergun Coruh
Aug 19, 2011 Ergun Coruh rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is the only book you need to have if you want to learn Mac OS/X, Objective-C Programming. The examples in the book follow XCode 3 but I didn't have much difficulty in adapting them to XCode 4. The flow is engaging, examples are interesting and comprehensive. I found everything I needed for the app I am working on. Thoroughly recommended. 5/5 stars. Note this book covers Mac desktop apps. There is another one from the same author "iPhone Programming The Big Nerd Ranch Guide" that I keep an e ...more
Peter
Aug 16, 2011 Peter rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: work-read
My first book on Cocoa and Objective-C programming. Did not cover iOS (then iPhone OS) programming.

Wasn't a beginner book. It assumed some competence on Mac OS usage and culture. Difficult to get through; wasn't a good match to my need at the time (iPhone OS programming).

However, later, as I learned the platform, I came back to this book periodically, to see how it treated some topics. An OK book.
Sam
May 21, 2009 Sam rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book would be great for a beginner in Objective-C and Cocoa, but it won't take you very far. Most of my experience was just re-typing code from the book, which is very helpful when you are not at all familiar with Objective-C or Cocoa.

However, if you are an intermediate or advanced Cocoa programmer this probably won't help very much.
Sean
Apr 03, 2010 Sean rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The de-facto standard text for learning Cocoa. It was good and to the point. The subject matter is challenging however so I would only recommend this book to someone who has at least basic experience with the C language and an object oriented language. These are really the prerequisites to picking up this book.
Alpha
May 10, 2010 Alpha rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2010
4.5/5 - A terrific introduction to Cocoa and Objective-C. One of the few programming books which successfully caters to experienced programmers that are new to a specific field. Hillegass dives right into the subject matter, and the book does an especially good job with pacing the examples with infodumps.
Jason Hullinger
Aug 04, 2009 Jason Hullinger rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: techbooks
Aaron Hillegass is an excellent tech author who can explain concepts in such a way that it's easy to follow along, while keeping you engaged. If you are learning to program on Mac OS X and are either a ninja Objective-C coder or a novice, this book is a must have.
Jeff Menter
Apr 07, 2008 Jeff Menter rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is really a great book on Cocoa Programming and Xcode. It can be picked up by anyone with just a little programming experience. Coupled with Stephen Kochan's excellent "Programming in Objective C" and you're ready to start making your own Mac OS X applications!
Pz
Jan 11, 2009 Pz rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
so much clearer than any tutorial on the web. has a tutorial like format but does a good job of explaining the major concepts in developing for mac/iphone (obj c, cocoa, interface builder)

i don't see it as a good reference but its a great book for learning
Jay
Mar 02, 2009 Jay rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Not nearly as good as the last Objective C book I worked through. Hillegass isn't thorough enough. Yeah, I understand the virtue in setting challenges for reader/students. But a lot of time is wasted and I'm often in a state of resigned confusion.

Jay
Robert Postill
I liked this book, it was clear, practical and relevant. However Objective-C and the Mac OS X toolkit is sadly too ugly for me to persist with. I got through the first five chapters or so but stopped once I knew I couldn't take the environment.
Mark
Nov 08, 2008 Mark rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
If you want to get into programming on the Mac or the iPhone, this is the first book you should read. Considered by many as the "Cocoa Bible", it leads the reader into the world of Cocoa, Objective-C, and Xcode at a steady, manageable pace.
Jack Repenning
Dec 22, 2010 Jack Repenning rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: professional
The go-to book for Cocoa and Objective C. An extraordinarily rare technical book: works as class, refresher, or reference; highly accessible yet very thorough. Also the best introduction to Objective-C (which is required to work in Cocoa).
Mitchell Mckenna
Jan 04, 2012 Mitchell Mckenna added it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Mitchell by: Chris Cunningham
My friend Chris Cunningham from Apple recommended this book as an intro to programming for the Mac Operating System and the iphone. There's no filler, so the book's concise and to the point.
Laurent
Jan 31, 2016 Laurent rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: osx, cocoa
I read the first edition, and IMHO just because he has been programming for Cocoa since NextStep does not make him a good or interesting author.
Gian Luca
Jan 20, 2012 Gian Luca rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Buona visione dall'alto di Cocoa e Objective C.
In alcune parti (in particolare Core Data) mi aspettavo qualche approfondimento in più...
Jeffrey Bakker
Got the 2nd edition. Was good, but gets dated fast. Snow Leopard has different tricks to get your applications to understand Applescript.
Colin
Oct 21, 2008 Colin rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
William
Feb 10, 2010 William rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A good introduction to Cocoa and Objective C, especially if you make the effort to go through all the exercises!
rob
Dec 02, 2009 rob rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book was a good resource for me but it reaffirmed my position that I wasn't put on this planet to be a programmer.
Joe P
Still the book I recommend to folks who want to learn Obj-C and Cocoa programming for MacOS X and iPhone.
Jorge Carreira
Aug 03, 2008 Jorge Carreira rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves:
Much same as the two last editions. Good tutorial introducing cocoa on Mac OS X Leopard.
Alex
Oct 02, 2009 Alex rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
What can I say? It's the mother of all Cocoa programming books.
Joey
Feb 25, 2009 Joey rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Anyone who wants to develop OSX apps in Cocoa should read this.
Demian Turner
Feb 04, 2012 Demian Turner rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: tech, cocoa
An excellent and essential introduction to Cocoa for developers
Frank
Jan 24, 2010 Frank rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Hillegass is the Petzold of Mac programming.
Douglas Dollars
May 04, 2010 Douglas Dollars rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The bible of Cocoa programming.
  • Programming in Objective C
  • The iPhone Developer's Cookbook: Building Applications with the iPhone SDK
  • Agile Web Development with Rails: A Pragmatic Guide
  • C++ Primer Plus
  • C: A Reference Manual
  • Python Essential Reference (Developer's Library)
  • Learning the vi and Vim Editors
  • Rails Recipes
  • Effective Objective-C 2.0: 52 Specific Ways to Improve Your IOS and OS X Programs
  • Programming Erlang
  • Advanced Perl Programming
  • C++ Concurrency in Action
  • Haskell: The Craft of Functional Programming
  • Land of LISP: Learn to Program in LISP, One Game at a Time!

Goodreads is hiring!

If you like books and love to build cool products, we may be looking for you.
Learn more »