Hunting the Corrigan's Blood

Hunting the Corrigan's Blood (Cadence Drake)

3.92 of 5 stars 3.92  ·  rating details  ·  108 ratings  ·  17 reviews
Cadence Drake is a finder of lost things. Badger Bede is a technical wizard adept at creating programs that make Cady's life easier. Both are handy with a stunner.

All their talents are put to the test as they search for the CORRIGAN'S BLOOD, a new kind of TFN-drive spaceship with some very special abilities. At first it looks like their dream job — the job that will allow...more
Published February 1997 by Baen Books (first published January 1st 1997)

E.K.
In this scifi novel, Cadance Drake is hired to find a missing ship, the Corrigan's Blood, and bring it back to it's owner, Peter Crane. However, it's not as simple as that. (When is it ever?)

The Corrigan's Blood is one of several new ships with innovative new features that Cady's own ship lacks and so she and her crew-mate, Badger, use stealth and cunning and tedious hard work to track it down. Unfortunately, they find trouble on every space station and planet they visit.

This far-future "world"...more
Lisa
I don't know where to begin - I could barely switch off my ereader at night to go to bed! I thoroughly, thoroughly enjoyed this ebook and I am not even an avid SF fan; I prefer fantasy.

But oh boy! The heroine went from one challenge to the next and all the while there was a marvellous world to explore with her. (The worldbuilding was incredible, btw. Just amazing.)

But be warned. There are hints of violence in this in places - and what is left to the imagination is usually always worse than what...more
Margaret Fisk
Hunting the Corrigan’s Blood by Holly Lisle is an odd combination of a blood and guts gritty adventure and a coming of age tale. Cadence Drake might believe herself an adult with a business plan and a productive life, but she’s still acting the child, driven by her fears and standing on values that have never been tested.

Along with Badger, her childhood companion and once lover/love, she is carving a life for herself despite being a political and genetic experiment that never quite panned out fo...more
Kelly Guerra
Oct 17, 2012 Kelly Guerra rated it 5 of 5 stars Recommends it for: SF fans
If you’re a fan of science fiction, Holly Lisle’s dark SF thriller Hunting the Corrigan’s Blood needs to be on your reading list. Lisle paints a gritty picture of space in the future, where the overarching government is more of a phantom figurehead while corporations happily profit from shouldering the governance of day to day operations within society. Like much of our modern society, there are parts of space that are heavily populated and superior in their advancements, and others that are lit...more
Peter Tillman
An interesting SF debut. 4.6 stars

"Blood" starts out as a standard tough-girl action-adventure (which
is the expectation from the vapid Baen cover). PI Cadence Drake is
hired to recover a stolen spaceship. After being beaten nearly to death and stuffed in a closet with a corpse, Cadence is rescued by her partner/employee/once-and-future lover, Badger. They hare off across the galaxy , and it doesn't take them long to realize that Things Are Not as they Seem. They encounter powerful foes, dark con...more
Claudette Young
Holly Lisle's novel "Hunting the Corrigan's Blood" endangers more than heroine Cadence Drake's mortality. It also endangers the life of her one love. The chase leaves bodies in its wake sprinkled like crumbs behind Gretel.

Power, greed, and corruption accompanied man to the stars and threaten to bring the downfall of the human race in this story of one woman's battle against a deliberate, systematic plague that turns infected victims into immortal predators.

Cadence Drake, a Maryschild from the pl...more
Hope Terrell
While I am a huge fan of sci-fi shows on tv, I rarely read sci-fi books. I decided to risk this one because I admire the author, and I'm glad I did!

First of all, the world of the book is amazing. Worlds, spaceships, and space travel are all beautifully thought out and shown. In fact, the setting alone would make me rate this book high, even if the plot was lame.

But the plot isn't lame. There are mysteries, intrigue, double crossings....and Yes, vampires. But these vampires aren't those of today-...more
Dalton Lynne
I've been taking Holly Lisle's classes on writing (How To Think Sideways and How to Revise Your Novel), so I was interested in checking out some of her books. This is the first one I completed. I'm not normally a reader of SF fiction, but this was pretty good. There were a few areas that I felt could have been expounded on a little more. Some scenes went by too quickly (such as the final dramatic 'showdowns'), and I expected more of an appearance by the protagonist's mother, especially because s...more
Cyn
J. King
I read Hunting the Corrigan's Blood many years after the Baen Books edition went out of print. I got a copy of the new One Word Books edition direct from Holly Lisle's website shop.HollyLisle.com. (I bought the print version, not the ebook.)

The story reads slowly sometimes and rambles in places. But in the end, that didn't seem to matter. Because the characters have staying power. This is one of those stories that having read it, I now feel a loss at having finished it. I so want to continue on...more
Rachael Stephen
As sci fi with faster than light travel, multiple dimensions, genetic engineering and a bunch of other cool stuff, I feel like I should have liked this more than I do. (Similar to Diplomacy of Wolves I guess).

Its like all the elements were there that usually make a good book, but still something was missing for me. That said, I'll still be interested in the next one. The technology and settings were cool, but I didn't relate very strongly to the characters I guess.
Jenni
Adventure, legend, a fast-moving plot, romance, love. What's not to like about this story? I haven't read sci-fi in a few years, but this one held my attention. I read this because I was interested in Holly Lisle's writing-craft books and courses and wanted to check out the quality of her writing. I will definitely read more from this author and take a closer look at her writing craft series.
Andrea
Well-paced, compelling space mystery, revolving around a pair of professional "finders" hunting for a stolen ship and getting tangled in a massive conspiracy. I don't hundred per cent love the resolution, but I definitely enjoyed the ride.
Terry
Highly recommend this stand-alone science fiction novel by Holly Lisle. With elements of science fiction, mystery and thrillers, the book has been republished by Lisle. She intends to self-publish additional Cadence Drake novels.
Megan Nater
Fantastic book! Great characters - the characterization was the best part of this book - and a really cool universe with a great mix of various genres. She did an amazing job with this one, can't wait for Warpaint!
Taekwondodo
A very enjoyable sci fi/ fantasy story. The lost star was for s couple of slow points, but overall great.
Ron
Decent beginning, just did not keep interest through the whole story.
Kylie
Kylie marked it as to-read
Apr 10, 2014
Carilu
Carilu marked it as to-read
Mar 18, 2014
J. M.
J. M. marked it as to-read
Feb 20, 2014
Nicola Lane
Nicola Lane marked it as to-read
Feb 11, 2014
Travis A.
Travis A. marked it as to-read
Feb 04, 2014
Samantha
Samantha marked it as to-read
Jan 23, 2014
Nick Devlin
Nick Devlin marked it as to-read
Jan 20, 2014
Kate
Kate marked it as to-read
Jan 18, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »
Holly Lisle has been writing fiction professionally since 1991, when she sold FIRE IN THE MIST, the novel that won her the Compton Crook Award for best first novel. She has to date published more than thirty novels and several comprehensive writing courses. She has just published WARPAINT, the second stand-alone novel in her Cadence Drake series.

Holly had an ideal childhood for a writer…which is t...more
More about Holly Lisle...
The Ruby Key (Moon & Sun, #1) Diplomacy of Wolves (The Secret Texts, #1) Fire in the Mist (Arhel, #1) Vengeance of Dragons (The Secret Texts, #2) Courage of Falcons (The Secret Texts, #3)

“Race doesn't exist.

Skin color exists. Hair and eye color are real. Body type varies from individual to individual, as does tooth shape and color, the form of fingernails, and the amount and texture of body hair. But 'race' is a phantom conjured up by people no different from each other than purebred Cocker spaniels are. Race is a lie, and the people who conjure by it, no matter their color or their politics, are liars.”
2 likes